Pat C. 28-Apr-16
bad karma 28-Apr-16
70lbdraw 28-Apr-16
Mike B 28-Apr-16
Bowfreak 28-Apr-16
PSEBow 28-Apr-16
HA/KS 28-Apr-16
28-Apr-16
Honestly....I don't know how more people don't get shot where I live. I was living on cloud 9 yesterday as I found out that I pulled a New Mexico elk tag untill.......I come home from church (went there straight from work) only to find my utility building door standing open. I walk up and notice someone had pried it open and ripped the hasp off. I do a quick survey and notice nothing missing only to realize later that my chainsaw was actually gone. I am assuming that while we were at work someone ran up the hill to my house did their deed and grabbed the first thing they saw. I assumed they would have cleaned me out if it wasn't something like this. All of this crap is from the drug problem we have in my part of KY. It is bad. What used to be oxycontin is now heroin. Then you have the meth heads. Ridiculous!

28-Apr-16
That is terrible! Sorry for your stolen chainsaw, but congrats on the elk tag! Good luck with that this fall.

28-Apr-16
Sorry to here about your stolen chainsaw Bowfreak. I keep waiting for something like this to happen in my neighborhood. I wish I wasn't so pessimistic, but it seems that it's almost an inevitability.

28-Apr-16
I am thankful it was just a chainsaw but the feeling of someone being in my stuff just rubs me the wrong way.

28-Apr-16
Give it 20 years and Colorado will be taxing heroin. Sorry about your chainsaw.

28-Apr-16
Congrats on the tag.

If you suspect drug addiction as a motivator, prepare for additional visits. Once marked, desperate people are more apt to return under what they deem non-confrontational times (i.e. while you are at work). Thieves target working class homes in the daytime because they know folks can't give up their jobs to physically watch their stuff.

28-Apr-16

Dave G. 's embedded Photo
Bowfreak,

Max watches my chit while I'm gone. (and while I'm home for that matter) :^)

28-Apr-16
I wasn't thinking about taking your chit before now Dave G. but I sure as hang am not considering it now!

28-Apr-16
When I was growing up, a local welder had one of those big diamond plate toolboxes in the back of his truck. It also had a big diamondback rattler in it, which was an effective deterrent for theft.

28-Apr-16
Keep your eyes open, they may have been scouting.

They shoot dogs where I live.

28-Apr-16
Max looks like he'd be a handful.

28-Apr-16
Point taken Joey.

I shoot dog shooters where I live. :^)

28-Apr-16

Actually, this is the one thieves should worry about more.

Her nickname is Alice Kravitz (the nosy neighbor from "Bewitched") because when she's not outside, she's always looking out a window, surveying her kingdom. She can be dead asleep and snap immediately awake and start yapping because I assume she heard a squirrel fart 100 yards down in the woods. That of course gets Max all amped up and ready to rock and roll.

Here she is doing some SEAL training...never know when frogs or some other amphibian may attack. :^)

28-Apr-16
Sorry to hear about that!

On another note, I live in Albuquerque. If I can help you with any questions or concerns about your hunting area, feel free to hit me up and I'll help where I can. We have a big drug and theft problem here as well. I might be able to offer some pointers to keep you out of the bad areas.

28-Apr-16
Put some trail cameras up (high in tree or building) they'll be back. Dogs are great but some of those dirt bags will steal the flipin guard dog as well.

28-Apr-16
^^^

Exactly what I have at my place....

28-Apr-16
Cameras are good...and a punji pit.

28-Apr-16
Hey 70. Thanks for the offer. I am going to be hunting with a NM resident so I should be in good shape. I still may hit you up before my trip. I am interested in information any of you guys might have about where would be a safe place to pull over and sleep a few hours in the truck. I will be needing some sleep somewhere between Hays, KS and Walsenburg, CO. Most important information would be if there is anywhere on the way NOT to stop.

The only negative is NM doesn't honor KY concealed carry but it looks like that anyone can conceal a weapon in their car in NM. Is this correct?

28-Apr-16
"I will be needing some sleep somewhere between Hays, KS and Walsenburg, CO."

Bowfreak, if your GPS does a bunch of "recalculating" and you wind up in Maryland, give me a holler.

Max doesn't snore too loud. :^) Wish you well on your upcoming hunt.

28-Apr-16

Pat C.'s Link
PatCs security system LOL

28-Apr-16
Bowfreak, PM sent. Walmart parking lots are always a good choice. Cameras everywhere.

28-Apr-16
In NM your vehicle is considered an extension of your home And you can have a concealed weapon in it.

BK is right. Walmart lots usually have trucks and RVS spending the night. I DO NOT recommend sleeping at Roadside rest areas anywhere in the Southwest. I've heard way too many bad stories from people doing that. Heck I don't even pull into them unless it's an emergency. I'll take a chance of getting caught peeing on the side of the road before I go to a rest stop.

28-Apr-16
Bowfreak, you ain't alone my friend.

Caught a thief in my garage back in mid-Jan. She is now awaiting trial for 2nd degree burglary, a felony.

She lived just down the street, and is a known meth head. Out on bail, she's living with a heroin addict in another house less than 1/4 mile away.

There's a heroin, meth, cocaine dealer living just 6 doors down on my side of the street. I've done everything I can, legally, to get this guy sent to prison, yet he's still at it. Cops tell me that the only way they can bust him is if they get someone to go make a buy. With only 800 people in the entire town, there's not much chance of that happening. The guy is a maggot, and it irritates me all to hell that we (neighborhood) can't legally just burn his house down.

Cheap Mexican heroin has become the drug of choice for most of the addicts around here, with (of course) the ever growing meth user population.

It's genuinely sad to see our nice little town just falling apart, and potentially good people throwing their lives away with that poison.

28-Apr-16
You are preaching to the choir Mike. My next door neighbor had so much traffic in and out of their place many time vehicles would just have to keep on driving by because they couldn't get in the driveway. It only took about 3 years for it to go away. The son went to prison. The mother died and the daughter went to the slammer last. Once she left the house was abandoned and now the bank is auctioning it off in a few days. My hope is the Mennonites buy it. It is right up their alley. They buy these old homes and only need them to be structurally sound. No worries about electrical, plumbing and all the stuff we would worry about.

28-Apr-16
Check your local pawnshop or craigslist. Most of these meth heads just want a quick buck. You'll see a 400$ chainsaw listed for 100$ just so they can get another bag of that poison.

sad how meth and heroin have become so cheap, its opening up a new market for new addicts.

28-Apr-16
"between Hays, KS and Walsenburg, CO"

There are no unsafe places - or at least were not before CO legalized pot - between Hays KS and Limon CO.

There are Wal-marts at Colby and Goodland KS. Goodland could be good because it is the last one before you hit CO. There is also a state of KS visitors center near the state line. They used to serve free coffee.

I am in Hays and either Wal-mart or Home Depot are right off the Interstate. Depending on the size of your rig, my driveway is also available.

• Sitka Gear