gflight 28-Apr-16
joshuaf 28-Apr-16
joshuaf 28-Apr-16
'Ike' (Phone) 28-Apr-16
sureshot 28-Apr-16
PSEBow 28-Apr-16
Rocky 28-Apr-16
28-Apr-16
Reading and watching a lot of news, all of these moves lately can only be interpreted that enough people in the party want a contested convention.

On one side it could prove disastrous for the party to work to deny the building momentum for trump. On the other, trump could be disastrous for the party.

Do you prefer a contested convention, and if so tell us your reasons.

Initially I wanted a contested convention because I thought it was the best way to nominate someone other than crump, and was more worried about the effects on congressional races.

Now, I am really not so sure.

What say you.

28-Apr-16
I would love to kick Trump to the curb but I don't think nominating someone with less votes before the convention will be good. No convention for me.

28-Apr-16
Not

28-Apr-16
Ask me after Indiana...

28-Apr-16
Contested or not Trump will be the nominee on the first ballot. Any other election cycle and this would have been over by now since Trump obviously has been chosen by the voters. In my opinion, the only reason Cruz is still in the race is the fact that he understands this is the only chance he will ever have to be the POTUS. While Cruz likes to claim he could be winning if only he and Trump were in the race, the real story is that Rubio could have been POTUS if Trump were not in the race, Cruz knows his dream of being POTUS will be over when the gavel falls at the convention in July.

28-Apr-16
If Trump is truly the pick of the people he will reach 1,237. If not the delegates will determine who the nominee is.

28-Apr-16
"Initially I wanted a contested convention because I thought it was the best way to nominate someone other than crump, and was more worried about the effects on congressional races.

Now, I am really not so sure."

Don't you really mean that you liked the idea of a Contested Convention when you still thought Kasich had a chance of emerging the nominee, but now that Kasich looks more impotent than ever, you're having second thoughts?

28-Apr-16
"Any other election cycle and this would have been over by now since Trump obviously has been chosen by the voters."

If that were the case, Trump wouldn't still be limping along with barely 40% of the vote despite getting 90% of the media coverage.

28-Apr-16
"All this whining about "fraud" only further divides voters, and only hurts us in the fall."

That's Trump's whole plan. He's like a jealous boyfriend: If HE can't have the girl then he's going to make darn sure no one ELSE can have her, either.

"If Trump had the necessary delegates right now, he wouldn't be saying a thing about the process or how it fraudulent or needs to change."

Absolutely right.

"If Trump is truly the pick of the people he will reach 1,237. If not the delegates will determine who the nominee is."

Yep. If the Trumpies were so confident he would get there, they wouldn't be pushing so hard to call the game in the 6th inning of a 9 inning game.

28-Apr-16
I'm all for a GOP contested convention!!!

signed,

Hillary Rodham Clinton (you may call me Her Majesty)

28-Apr-16
^^^^^

I agree with future President Clinton.

28-Apr-16
I am still surprised that anyone who considers themselves a hunter would vote democrat, especially for Hillary, who non-stop talks about taking away our 2nd amendment rights.

28-Apr-16
Come on Boone, Fra doesn't care about that!

Contested conventions are part of our political history...Something I want, no! I'd rather see a outright winner with most supporting that person....

28-Apr-16
Josh,

I really just want to delete every post of yours on threads I start. You always try and initiate a fight with someone.

I am on record here as saying Kasich is a good governor for Ohio, but is too liberal for a national level. But it doesn't matter what I say, because with your superior knowledge you know what is in people's minds and hearts more than they do. I know some of your siblings have solid educations, but I missed you telling me where your PhD in psychology is from.

Maybe you ought to go back all the way to 2012 and see how many times you were/are wrong. It might just help you understand that regular people are not like the politicians you have experienced first hand. We are not always measuring our words to position ourselves for something. I am about as straight forward as a person can come.

So, once again, I have given up on the presidential election. I think everything now is about minimizing the damage to Congress. Laws and judicial nominations have to go through them so that is my big concern. I am sure you will conclude otherwise.

I am not sure trump would make solid nominations or push for good legislation. Cruz would make solid nominations, but could probably not get them through as they would be too socially conservative for him to be able to unite any support for-even from his own party. Kasich worries me about the 2A, but is less divisive but achieves that through a willingness to compromise a little too much for me.

Now, go and pick the parts that confirm what you already believe, and ignore those that don't like we all know you will.

If cruz was in trump's position, I would be firm with no contested convention because of the damage it would do to the party. With trump, I am finding myself willing to let it go contested to get a more stable individual. I find myself being inconsistent and was looking for actual thoughts, not more rubbish that seems to constantly stream from you.

28-Apr-16
"Party will be gutted if it goes to a contested convention no matter what."

Party will be gutted if Trump is the nominee. If it's going to be gutted anyway, might as well do it in an effort to have an actual Conservative Republican as the nominee of the Republican party.

28-Apr-16
"I am about as straight forward as a person can come."

Says the guy who is constantly throwing out insults and then pretending that he's joking.

28-Apr-16
Josh, did you notice no smiley faces up above? Once again you post something that is wrong and never take the time to reflect on it. I listened to your message and received it about not using smiley faces with you.

But with a Phd you would know when a smiley face is being used in a manner that strengthens the message, not detracts.

I will be glad to answer you on another thread, but one more post off track here and I will delete all of yours and block any further posting. That is your last warning.

28-Apr-16
I would just like to see the rules followed. I know there is a lot of bluster and B.S. about stealing this and cheating that..... The funny thing though, just like the "cheating scandal" that was brought out by Trump and quickly refuted, found to be a lie and dismissed. (Why isn't anyone calling Donald Lying Trump?) Anyhow, Just follow the rules and stick to them and let the chips fall where they may. If it goes to a contested convention, so be it. Let the results of all the hustle needed to secure the delegates to get over 50% be rewarded with the nomination. Ending things before the 1250 delegates or whatever number it is would be against the rules and irresponsible. The best analogy I can think of would be for a team to call on the the other team that is down in the world series 3-1 to drop out because they were behind. Stick to the rules and let things shake out the way they go.

28-Apr-16
Jeff, I have colleagues that agree with you, I am for a peaceful solution but am inclined to think that a third party resurrecting from the ashes might be best long term? Even as a vent for the frustration that has built up.

Though I am not as far on the right as some, all should have a conduit to be heard and neither party is listening to either far pole. Dems probably need to go through something similar. 4 parties; far left, center left, center right, far right?

28-Apr-16
it doesn't matter whether anyone supports it or not. If Trump doesn't have the magic number of votes it is going to be a free for all no matter what anyone wants.

Best thing that could happen would be for Trump to get the magic number.

28-Apr-16
"am inclined to think that a third party resurrecting from the ashes might be best long term?"

The New Whig Party?

28-Apr-16
A totally new name.

28-Apr-16
If it goes to a Contested Convention, you are going to get a Bought and paid for POTUS. Welcome to the new USA era of the establishment, telling you who will be your next POTUS.

28-Apr-16
That's what most contester's are wanting, everything back to normal....

28-Apr-16
Whether anyone supports it or not, these are the rules. If a candidate doesn't get 1237, it is contested. Discussing ones opinions of the rules is immaterial.

There are other instances where candidates did not get the 1237 and it was contested...this is no different. Except that there are currently still 3 candidates and 3 that will likely go all the way to the convention. ..except that another rule says one has to have won at least 5 states, i believe. If Kasich doesn't win more states, he's done too.

28-Apr-16
Answering "yes" but will point out your word 'any'.

Cannot the rules be changed at the convention if the majority of the delegates decide they can be?

28-Apr-16
Feelings or rules

anarchy or laws

Trump is using dishonest whining to lean the populace toward the former.

Just like the lyin Ted moniker when he is the one lying.

The Republican voters will get what they deserve, again....

28-Apr-16
gflight, I answered the question, try doing the same for mine, please.

28-Apr-16
Thanks Kevin. That was my understanding as well until 2-3 nights ago it was being discussed on FOX. And the person they were asking said in reality any rule can change.

So, now can you understand my qualified answer? I am not sure what the rules are, and like that less than hard rules. (Unless of course the hard rules would prevent my guy from winning;))

It is a mess and I do not see a productive way out, hence this thread. Thanks.

28-Apr-16
"I know some rules can be changed or adopted but I was under the impression that the one requiring a majority of delegates is a hard and fast rule. It is my understanding that if no candidate has a majority (1237) on the first ballot, it simply keeps going until someone gets 1237."

Yep, I've never heard of that one being changed. About as hard and fast as they come.

28-Apr-16
This whole "I should win because I'm ahead" theme from Trump and his hangers-on, even though he hasn't met the majority delegate threshold, reminds me very much of the story a few months ago about Trump being a world class golf cheat. One of the sources in the story said that he personally witnessed Trump count a chip-shot from off the green as a gimme. Trump isn't used to playing by the rules and doesn't believe he has to play by the rules.

28-Apr-16
992 to 562 so far, I'd say he's done ok without cheating thus far...

28-Apr-16
Ike, it is also a fact that Kaisich is closer to overtaking Cruz than Cruz is Trump.

28-Apr-16
Kevin,

Then 1237 it is and I agree.

28-Apr-16
If there is any interest in mending the GOP, then you'd cringe at the thought of a contested convention. my family in France and Canada ask all the time, 'what the hell is going on with your republican party?

and as many echoed here, if Trump has the votes, or even a large majority of votes, you can' deny him the nomination. There would be massive unrest and you can be that there would be a huge move to a 3rd party. The GOP of our fathers days (Eisenhower, Goldwater,) is officially dead.

28-Apr-16
KPC,

The lottery is beyond the control of bosses picking the numbers, and, the lottery is about all that Ted Cruz now possesses.

The Rock

• Sitka Gear