sundowner 22-May-16
Bowfreak 23-May-16
Hunting5555 23-May-16
Keith in colorado 23-May-16
Ace 23-May-16
bad karma 23-May-16
Bowfreak 23-May-16
19-May-16
So much of this was discussed a while back and I looked at some of the firearms many of you use and thought about getting something different.

I currently use a Springfield Armory XD-S 9mm with 4" barrel. I think it is fine, but am not a firearm nut like some of you, meaning I lack the knowledge. It is my only firearm left, since I do not think anything bad will happen in my lifetime.

Anyone else use this? I am happy with it but wondered why I did not really see others using it. I like the Kimber better, but this was very affordable.

Thanks.

;)

20-May-16
That's a damn fine handgun. Nothing wrong with it. No real reason to change except I like the 3.5" barrels for concealed carry when driving, etc. Same thought...unlikely I'd ever need it, and I shoot the Shields well.

20-May-16
Thanks guys. bk, I went with the 4" because I was told since the barrel was longer I would get a little more velocity, therefor a little more energy. Since it is "only" a 9mm, that was suggested to me. Also, supposed to be a little more accurate?

I am not sure if I did it over, I think I would go with the shorter one as the theoretical energy improvements are probably just that given the distance most of these events occur at.

It does shoot really nice, at least IMO. I have a .40 in the full XD-M model, and I like this 9 better.

Thanks again!

20-May-16
Springfield Armory is a very good handgun. I really like them. The 9mm is fine.

20-May-16
I have a daughter who is about to become a prosecuting attorney and as such I feel she needs a good weapon and some in-depth training from some ex-military that I know who do that kind of thing. She already has a concealed carry permit as do all my kids.

I am seriously considering that Springield XD-S as my gift to her for completing law school passing the bar.

20-May-16
The three you mention are the ones I am going to have her shoot Spike. She can have any one of them she likes but she has to put a bunch of rounds through all of them.

If anyone has any other good ideas I'm open to them. No revolvers, no 1911's. 9mm only.

I don't really care how much it costs I always buy the better more expensive firearm if I can.

20-May-16

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

20-May-16
SA, I would suggest a Glock 43 over the 19. The 43 is more in line size wise with the SD-S and Shield. The 19 is a double stack and would be a pretty good sized gun for a woman to carry.

But any of those guns would be an excellent choice.

Even though I carry a Shield, with the understanding of how all these guns work, I tend to prefer the Glocks for carry.

Personally, when I buy carry guns for my son and daughter, they will be the Glock 43.

20-May-16
My wife and daughter recently went through the NRA Basic pistol class. Daughter was using her Tristar C-100 and my wife used my old Gen 2 Glock 19.

The Tristar was more comfortable to shoot, more accurate and more dependable than the Glock. That old Gen 2 had 4 failure to feeds, possibly caused by a worn mag catch.

I had to buy my wife a new C-100 to appease her.

My daughter's C-100 had a CGW spring kit and trigger pin installed at the time. Now both C-100s do.

20-May-16
Congratulations SA to you and your daughter. Job well done sir!

Another question guys. How many carry an extra clip? I do not. In KS you do not have to back down, but use of a firearm should be the last resort. If one clip is not going to get me to safety, I figure I am dead unless the pros get there in time. I do not see ever even pulling my gun out, and carrying that extra weight all of the time sure is a little work. Has anyone ever needed a second clip that was not a LEO in the line of duty?

20-May-16

Straight —» Arrow's Link
H555 thanks for the glock pointer as I know the least about them. I agree with your suggestion. The Shield is on the list as well....

Habitat,

I just started wearing this holster with my Sig p229. It makes a very heavy weapon really bearable. I'm going to start carrying spare mags when I wear it as it came with two.

I actually bought this for training and range use but it's so comfortable and conceals so well, I'm going to use it for regular carry.

https://www.bravoconcealment.com/collections/gun-holsters/products/bca-combo

20-May-16
For a newbie, I like the external safeties. Not on your list, but two good handguns: Ruger LC9S (small, striker fired 9mm) and Ruger SR9c (G19 sized with an ambidextrous safety).

That's a good list the group gave you, SA. Not a duck in the bunch.

20-May-16
Thanks BK. What I'd really like to get her is small a kimber 1911 in 9mm but my concern is around the cocked and locked condition 1 carry thing she would have to deal with.

Personally I like 1911 the best now that I have made the transition. By far the simplest and most elegant thing out there.

20-May-16
I carry a Kimber II CDP Ultra-Carry in a .45 ACP.

It's a lot of gun, but if I ever need to use it, I intend to win .

It fits very comfortably into a Uncle Mike's inside carry holster.

20-May-16
SA, if she's well-trained, it's not a problem.

That being said, there is a condition known as "Glock foot" from folks who are not well trained. Hence, particularly for newbies, they should have a slide mounted safety, IMO. I have a fair bit of training but it took me quite a while to get used to the Glock design. (Took the Gunsite course with a 1911. But I shoot the G19 and SR40C as well as I can shoot anything.)

20-May-16
To Pat's post...I could not agree more. I own the Sig P238 and that's the .380 acp version of the P938 that he has.

I'd get her the P938 in a second if I can get her to like it.

You literally forget you are wearing that weapon.

20-May-16
I would push for the Ruger LC9S Pro, no need for a safety on a striker fire, mine has NEVER messed up.

20-May-16
The gun does not mess up. The shooter may.

20-May-16
I wish someone would buy me a Glock 43. :-)

Only thing I ever got after passing the bar was a "drive careful now, ya hear?"

LOL

20-May-16
I carry a Ruger SR9C and recommend it if you don't want to break the bank but want a good and accurate cc gun.

20-May-16
Also forgot the SA XD is illegal to own in MA so it must be a decent gun. Unreal.

20-May-16
Spike, yes.

;-)

20-May-16

Anony Mouse's Link
Saw today (link)that the S&W M&P Shield is going to be offered in .45--with or without a thumb safety.

20-May-16

Ace's Link
(bad link, see next post)

The best CC firearm is one you shoot well and feel comfortable with and will carry every day. I'd carry just about any of the handguns mentioned above and feel good about it. Once you get the right gun, the right holster is the next huge hurdle. I'm now using one from N82 (Nate squared tactical), the professional model. Hands down the most comfortable IWB I have tried.

I have an XDS in .45, 3.3", and I like it, but I also have a Kimber Ultra that I love, so that's usually my go to.

21-May-16

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

Ace's Link
Working Link

21-May-16
Guys, take your wives to a gun range that rents guys for "fam" fire so they can evaluate different models. In shorts and t-shirt, I carry a Kahr P40 in (short and weak).40 s&w. 6+1 (7+1) on newer magazine. SA only and no safety. Got a very long first pull, but trigger reset is short and quick. I wear an athletic shirt under a loose t-shirt so I can appendix carry without a holster so it won't stick to my skin. It will only go off by pulling the trigger. Open carry, either a Glock 20 or my new to me Colt Combat Commander 45 ACP series 70 with 4.25 inch barrel. I've been packing them even at home to get used to the weight on my belt. You have to break in any new gun, at least 500 rounds and it get expensive. Try to learn to shoot with both eyes open. You'll have great depth of vision.

21-May-16
Ace, x2 on the N82 holster. I just got one a couple months ago and yes way more comfortable than my last one.

21-May-16

Shuteye's Link
See the link for one of my favorites. No safety or anything to snag. Very reliable and I have shot all weights of bullets with no malfunctions. I have killed groundhogs and snakes with it too. I have 147 grain defense loads in it now but shoot others from time to time. 9mm ammo is available in many bullet weights and configuration. It is about the most concealable pistol out there.

I bought extra 8 round magazines for mine.

22-May-16
Current one is a S&W M&P Bodyguard .380. I can't get along with bigger models for CC. CC for me means an inside the waistband holster and bigger models bug me when doing anything active.

At home, work or in my vehicle there is a usually another option handy.

I love the Sig 238 and 938 but don't own yet.

22-May-16
Number 1 Rule of Gun Safety: "CARRY ONE!"

23-May-16
I have the LC9S. I really like it but would prefer the Pro. The safety is actually an annoyance. One thing with the Ruger is make sure you remove it from your holster and wipe it off every evening or you will get surface rust. It does not have the same type of coating as the Glock. My wife has the shield 9 with laserguard and it is a great gun. If I was in the market for another CC weapon it would probably be the Glock 43 in a slight edge over the Shield 9 or 40. The melonite coating on the Glocks makes them extremely corrosion resistant and if you are a sweat hog like me....you need that.

23-May-16
I understand the whole "Glock Foot" thing, but that merely points to lack of practice and proper safe handling rules.

Lets be honest, if you haven't practiced enough to keep your finger out of the trigger while drawing or reholstering, you will not have practiced enough to deal with a safety in the heat of a battle.

The fact is, once you understand how the Glock safe action trigger system works, you will understand that Glocks are the safest semi-auto pistol out there. That is until you put it into the hands of someone who doesn't have a clue, but that would apply to any firearm......

The sad thing is, practice drawing from a holster is something you can do in your home everyday if you want. Just make sure its unloaded first!!!!

Something I would recommend all you carry guys do, check out the XS Big Dot night sites for your carry guns. I had them put on my Shield when I bought it. I've shot two pistol classes with it and hadn't really thought anything about it. Saturday my son and I took a pistol class and because everybody else had high capacity pistols, I went ahead and shot my Glock 19 so as to not hold up the class. It has standard Glock night sites on it. OMGosh, it SUCKED going back to standard sites! I immediately noticed it shooting stationary, but when we started shooting while moving..... It was horrible!!!!!

Although, my shots of the day happened while sprinting between two cover positions and popping a bad guy with both shots in the 9 ring, shooting weak hand only and the target was at about the 7 o'clock position to me at 8 yards. Man that was satisfying!!!! But my bubble got deflated quickly when I went wide left on a head shot my very next shot......

I have to admit, I enjoy shooting pistols about as much as I enjoy shooting 3D ranges!!! Although the 3D is considerable cheaper!!

23-May-16

Keith in colorado's embedded Photo
Keith in colorado's embedded Photo
Just my 2 cents, the reason for carrying an extra mag is in this day and age of mob rules if you are forced to pull your weapon it is most likely going to be against multiple targets. 6 or 7 shots may not be enough to stop the attack. As for the 1911 condition 1 carry, purchase a holster that has the retention strap that goes between the frame and the hammer, safety on easy to pull and no worry about accidental hammer fall. See pic attached

23-May-16

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
All you need is a 9mm and a couple of magazines.

23-May-16
Well, if you have to ask, I presume you haven't practiced much, and are just getting started. Hence, for the person who asks, I recommend a thumb safety.

23-May-16
"make sure you remove it from your holster and wipe it off every evening or you will get surface rust"

I will never own another blue gun...you should never have to do this with today's firearms. Carry guns get damp all the time.

23-May-16
"you should never have to do this with today's firearms."

I agree but if you have a blued gun and don't want rust that is what you are left with.

I would like to have my slide coated or plated in the future.

• Sitka Gear