sundowner 22-May-16
Shuteye 23-May-16
sundowner 23-May-16
NvaGvUp 23-May-16
sundowner 23-May-16
Jim Moore 24-May-16
NvaGvUp 24-May-16
20-May-16
So far today it's snowed three different times here in Reno. It's too warm for it to stick, but it's snowing, never-the-less.

We were supposed to go up to Lake Tahoe fishing at the crack of dawn tomorrow, but the guide called this morning to suggest we re-schedule. It's supposed to be 25 degrees at the lake in the morning and windy. I do not want to be out on big water such as Lake Tahoe in a big wind, let alone in sub-freezing temperatures!

20-May-16
Rain here, snow up in the hills. I was at one of my comm sites today at the 8200 foot level and almost had to chain up. It was wet enough to power through, though I had the rig in 4-LO to get into there. Crazy assed weather this spring that is for sure.

20-May-16
It just started again!

20-May-16
95 here....7" of rain in 2 days. Welcome to the sunshine state!!!!

20-May-16
Hard to imagine, do try to enjoy it though

20-May-16
Played golf Thursday it was 61 degrees and overcast with a North wind. Unusual weather for Texas in mid May.

20-May-16
Global warming..... climate change.......whatever....

Y'all shoulda listened to algore while you had the chance! Lol!

20-May-16
Don't worry sun, Bernie's going to stop climate change.

20-May-16
Looks like a hell of a place Doc! Did you say crappie?!? :-)

20-May-16
It's been nice up in Ketchikan, Ak ... in the 70's and even went over 80 last week !!!

20-May-16
Pig Doc, Fished Vermilion a bit back in the 80's and loved the place.

It's only 5 hours away so I might have to drag the new boat up there this year. Thanks for the photo reminder.

20-May-16
"Makes the bourbon tasting by the fireplace that much better."

To hell with the fishing....

20-May-16
Never had Blanton's. Woodford and Makers, especially Makers 46 are two of my favorites. Also partial to Knob Creek.

21-May-16
Pig Doc, you and I can call them crappies but down South they aren't allowed to say crappie. It's croppy. I used to work down in Georgia and yep, it's the same fish. I have been catching stripers, shad, channel cats and white perch every day in a local river. We aren't allowed to keep stripers until after June 1 here in the river. I have turned loose some beauties and by June they will be gone back to the bay.

21-May-16
We had a little frost on the lawn this morning. The temperature as of 1:50 pm is all the way up to 50 degrees and the wind's blowing.

21-May-16
thanks for the weather report. Great in the northeast today.

22-May-16
Wow Pig Doc, what a beautiful place you have there, the lake is beautiful.

22-May-16
30 degrees here right now!

22-May-16
Going up to 78 here in northern Ky. We might actually have a spring...maybe.

22-May-16
Shuteye we always have pronounced it "crappie" in my neck of the woods.

I thought folks up north said "croppy".

Some around here also call this fish "speckled bass".

Whatever you call them, they are delicious, fried, broiled, grilled or baked.

22-May-16
Chilly and windy in the South Carolina mountains today. It has been this way all spring. Fish don't bite much in unsettled weather.

22-May-16
I have also heard them called Calico Bass. There are black crappie and white crappie and we have both here on the Eastern Shore.

22-May-16
I've always called them crappies, with the 'a' pronounced as 'ah.'

22-May-16
Yup!

When I was a kid, the first two weeks of August were spent at my grandparent's lake cottage on Big Pelican near Detroit Lakes,

Golf, swim, fish. Swim, fish, golf. Fish, golf, swim.

Repeat!

We'll be back there in August again this year, renting a cottage on the lake not far from the one my grandparents owned. It passed out of the family 15-20 years ago, and is now owned by a couple from the Chicago area. Really nice folks!

22-May-16

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

NvaGvUp's Link
Note the 'speaker' icon here. If you go to the link, you can access it and hear it pronounced.

We Midwestern folks have it right!

22-May-16
Well Kyle, I'd say you have it right for you.....and we have it right for us. :-)

I'm not asking the Rock how he pronounces it. Might get in trouble!

22-May-16
Wendell,

That was from the Oxford Dictionary.

How do ya'll pronounce it down your way?

Good thinking on Rocco. He'd probably bet you $200K and then claim you took the bet!

22-May-16
Kyle,

We say crappie with the "a" sound like in "map".

We know it's wrong but we don't care as long as they are served with hush puppies and cole slaw!

They are fun to catch and FUNNER to eat. (Did I say that right?)

22-May-16
The are GREAT to eat, although calling them "crappy" may imply something else. ;^)

22-May-16
Probably right Kyle, but we don't think of the fish that way. BTW, we can legally catch and keep 25 per rod per day here.

22-May-16
Yeah Doc the limit should be 10 here too. Our DNR is way too liberal with creel AND bag limits. But don't get me started on that! :-(

23-May-16
There are several places near me that you can catch crappies by the dozens. Some will go 13 inches and make great fillets. For some reason the ones in the river have worms but the ones in the ponds don't? You can fillet the fish and hold the fillet up to the light and see the worms, which are little round red balls. One guy told me the worms are just protein.

23-May-16
I will pass on that kinda protein Shuteye!

We used to have walleye in Lake Hartwell but SCDNR did not protect them and now they are gone. They do not enforce limits. They don't want fish that spawn and raise fry. They like put-and-take fisheries. Why? It perpetuates their cushy state jobs!

So we used to have good fishing and now we dont because of gov't management and no law enforcement. DNR officers have NEVER checked my creel limit, and I have fished in SC for 40 years! They just want to make sure you have a sounding device in your boat.....never mind that you have twice the limit of bass in the cooler! Like I said.... don't get me started!

23-May-16
We had frost here again this morning for the third day in a row.

23-May-16
Sorry for hijacking your weather thread Kyle. I'm done ranting now.

24-May-16
damn good looking lake. I've done a ton of fishing in and around Boundary waters and Quetico. Normally wait until June though....

24-May-16
I ran into a whiteout passing over the Pequop summit on I-80 this morning. Just a little. Got to scrape off the windows this AM as well. Looks like it is clearing a little.

24-May-16
"It was a dark and stormy night day" in Reno.

It's 1:27 PM at the end of May in the Desert Southwest and it's all of a windy and COLD 54 degrees!

It's dark and heavily overcast and while it's not storming yet, it's supposed to later this afternoon.

• Sitka Gear