HA/KS 27-Jun-16
NvaGvUp 27-Jun-16
NvaGvUp 28-Jun-16
NvaGvUp 29-Jun-16
NvaGvUp 25-Sep-16
Shuteye 26-Sep-16
HA/KS 26-Sep-16
21-Jun-16
I haven't been around for a while. Is Ojibwa still around and in Hawaii still?

22-Jun-16
Ray, Haven't heard from him in quite a while either. we used to talk a bit back around 2000. I believe he was up in age then. I think his name was or he went by the name 'Mike Hudson Haskell.'

22-Jun-16
Sure hope he's well, really enjoyed his insight and knowledge. A truly great American.

22-Jun-16
Mike is a true American Patriot.

22-Jun-16
I talked with Mike last fall.

He rarely posts because his eye site has been failing him.

The good news is that his mind and his sense of humor are as sharp as ever.

22-Jun-16
Last he had posted on here, his eye sight had gotten so bad that he had about exhausted every means of being able to read the computer screen.

Everytime I see that Obummer is on vacation in Hawaii I think of Mike and the headache he said that created for everyone there....

I didn't know him at all, except from on here, but there would be a man you could sit around a camp fire with for weeks on end and listen to his stories!!

You don't realize how many freedoms we have lost until you listen to someone like Mike tell stories of the things they did as kids and young adults..... Our kids would NEVER be allowed to do stuff like that today without being arrested....

Guys like Mike are slowly being taken away from us and that is truly a great loss. As I have gotten older, I have come to realize they truly were the greatest generation and we will never have another like them.....

We used to have three brothers in deer camp that were like Mike. We all loved to sit around the camp fire and listen to their stories for hours on end! I was proud of my son when he was little. He would go over to their camper and sit for hours listening to their stories and learning how to play cards and dominoes from those three brothers. He still talks about them and how he misses that! Not something you hear from most 22 year olds....

We lost one of them this past year. One has alzheimers and no longer knows anyone. The third one, who was always the most colorful of the three, is still going strong. Can't get out and go fishing like he used to, but hasn't missed a beat mentally. I told my dad at the ones funeral, I wish we lived closer, I'd love to go tie onto his boat and take him fishing regularly!!!

22-Jun-16
One of my most memorable characters for sure. That man has by far more accomplishments than anyone I have ever known. Army Ranger, Attorney, Scientist, Hunter, Outdoorsman, Writer, Philosopher...

I'm sure I have listed only a small fraction.

22-Jun-16
Straight-Arrow,

Here's a few more:

Multiple doctorate degrees,

Has been on top of some of the tallest mountains in the world as well as at the bottom of some of the deepest oceans in the world,

Has been in over 100 countries.

Top Secret security clearance.

When I had dinner with him several years ago, I remember him telling me about going on military bases in a chauffeur driven Flag Officer's car. He got a kick out of the funny reactions he'd get when the base security guys would look into the car before waving them on base and see this American Indian with long hair and a pony tail sitting in the back seat instead of a General or an Admiral.

22-Jun-16
Two more:

Grew up dirt poor on the Upper Michigan peninsula with no indoor plumbing.

Got admitted to Notre Dame long before anyone ever thought about affirmative action.

22-Jun-16
I consider Mike a friend even though we haven't ever met and my son holds elders and military in high regard. A chance to meet him would be awesome for both of us.

22-Jun-16
I loved to sit on the porch and have a cold beer with Mike and talk for hours. He has accomplished more in his life than anyone I have ever known.

22-Jun-16
Shuteye,

Yes, but even that's a HUGE understatement!

23-Jun-16
Just spoke to him. He is as sharp as ever. Remember me calling him a decade ago. What a wonder!

23-Jun-16
fff,

Absolutely!

You and your son are going to have an amazing evening!

23-Jun-16
I am pumped. History in the flesh

23-Jun-16
Miss his posts. I so wish he could use dragon, or whatever that speaking program for the computer is.

24-Jun-16
I would sure appreciate a report on Hudson Mike and I would appreciate it you could make sure he understands the very high regard that we all have for him.

24-Jun-16
I have often wished he would dictate his autobiography.

Please pass on this request.

My offer to transcribe and edit still stands.

Love and respect from his home in MI.

24-Jun-16
My interaction with him here was very minimal, but my regard for him is huge. I do hope he writes that book. Encourage it!

24-Jun-16
Where's Dances with Squirrels?

24-Jun-16
I encouraged him to write a book when I had dinner with Mike and Lynne. I think he said his eyesight issues would make that pretty tough to do.

24-Jun-16
Anyone in contact with Mike, encourage him to dictate his memoirs and I would gladly transcribe and edit for the privilege and honor.

24-Jun-16
I gave fff Mike's number yesterday. He's in Hawaii now and PM'd me that he'd called Mike and they'll be getting together.

24-Jun-16
I hope fff passes on my offer to Mike. His life story is too important to be lost.

24-Jun-16
That would be a best seller for sure.

24-Jun-16
Mouse,

Agreed!

24-Jun-16
He told me he was learning to write. I will pass any messages you folks want me to.

I am very excited to meet him and Lynne.

24-Jun-16
fff,

When are you meeting them?

Give them both my love and my regards.

Get him to get in touch with Jack for doing a biography!!!!!!!

24-Jun-16
I'm sure ya'll remember Mike's back-and forths with the all-knowing, expert-on-everything, GJ. Despite having achieved and accomplished less than 1% of what Mike has, GJ would unrelentlessly claim no one could succeed without the federal government granting them special favors, treating them differently and subsidizing them.

Mike always remained calm while destroying GJ's positions in a gentlemanly fashion.

24-Jun-16
Miss his posts. I so wish he could use dragon, or whatever that speaking program for the computer is.

24-Jun-16
fff: please give Mike my fondest and my offer to transcribe and edit any dictation he would provide for his memoirs.

I wish I could have met him last time he came to MI.

24-Jun-16
I have no idea what 'dragon' is, other than based your post, I'm guessing it's a program for the sight-impaired.

I'll bet if we all chipped in, we could buy him the best program available.

24-Jun-16
Mouse,

You're a very tech- savvy guy. What program would you recommend to do what you want to do re. helping you helping Mike write his biography?

24-Jun-16
Meeting for lunch tomorrow.

24-Jun-16
fff, enjoy every minute of the privilege.

I'm seldom jealous but ....

25-Jun-16
Ray, please say hi for me! Thanks

25-Jun-16
Nva,

I would definitely contribute for that. One of the computer guys would have to find the right program. Dragon is actually for handicapped, arthritic, amputees, etc. You speak, it writes. Ojibwa would need a reader/navigator of sorts also, but I bet there are programs out there.

25-Jun-16
Troy,

I'm doing some searching for programs for the blind.

I'll post what I come up with, but I'll need some help in evaluating what's available, as I'm the last person in the world you want advising you on computer technology.

25-Jun-16
I'd help, but it would be the blind leading the blind there. Would be nice to know if Ojibwa was receptive to the idea also.

25-Jun-16
Keep us up to date.

25-Jun-16
He was open to the idea but expressed doubts based on trying programs a decade ago. I think he would try if we could find something that works.

Amazing four hours seemed like minutes. He's truly done most of it! Surgeon. Enlisted to commissioned office to colonel. Army rangers to Air Force. Game warden to hunter to mountain climber to oceanography.

Had buck fever. Hunter pronghorn. Elk. Whitetail.

Will write more when not on mobile.

25-Jun-16
Wish we could finance a trip for Jack to spend the time it takes to get that book on tape or paper. Finding a way for Ojibwa to post again would be a wonderful treat for us all, but imagine a book with his life and exploits in it!

26-Jun-16
We could do that!

26-Jun-16
I would certainly kick in for that also, but there just isn't much kick in my kick!

26-Jun-16
Let's start by seeing if we can find a suitable computer program or such. Technology for this sort of thing has progressed dramatically in the past ten years.

26-Jun-16
There is a very simple and non-computer software solution that would allow Mike to dictate his biography.,,simple dictation. There are a lot of digital voice recorder and Mike could dictate his stories and recollections for later transcription.

I would love to do that and create a manuscript for publication. Lynn could easily provide photographs and other visuals for his bio.

Mike, being Mike, would provide a book that would be easy to find a publisher. At worst, I am sure that we on the CF could self publish should it come to that.

Light posting from me as I am down in FL visiting family and bringing my grandson to MI for a visit. Tablets are convenient, but a bitch to post from.

26-Jun-16
Mouse,

Could you recommend the best software for this project?

26-Jun-16

itshot's embedded Photo
itshot's embedded Photo
this works well

26-Jun-16
I'm with itshot

26-Jun-16
Greg,

What is that?

26-Jun-16
A digital recorder. There is one on Amazon that has a USB attachment built in and also accepts micro SD cards. With $ G built in memory, it can record over 1700 h0ur.r

26-Jun-16
Mouse,

Would that work for what you want to do?

If so, send me link and I'll buy it and have it sent to you or Mike.

26-Jun-16
Kyle, it's hardware, old school type, 1ea. tape recorder, regular (or digital as has been suggested)

as long as there is some type of audible indicators to let Mike know it's on, or not, it could work

regardless of method, this is a great idea and quite an offer from mouse

hope it works out, even if a short version is produced

26-Jun-16
Greg,

Would it work best if both Mike and Jack had one? Could they then communicate electronically?

26-Jun-16
not likely

mike would just talk whenever he wanted, for as long as he wanted to, until he feels he is done with his story

then he could send recordings to mouse

OR

with the USB, his wife could periodically upload them as an email and send to mouse, portion or chapter at a time

I think.....

27-Jun-16
With Lynn's help, Mike could easily put each session into a separate folder. There is a nice recorder on Amazon (cannot seem to post link with my tablet)that has a USB connector and can be plugged into a computer directly without a cable.

Lynn could easily send files via email or save to a shared Google cloud file.

Mike would have the easy part...telling stories of his life. Once transcribed, it would be a harder task to organize and put it into manuscript form...but an enjoyable one for the simple fact that in doing the transcription, I'd hear them from Mike himself.

I imagine that as the project progresses, Mike and Lynn could edit/review the manuscript as it develops and probably provide pictures.

I've mentioned this to Mike here and via email for a number of years. Seeking the interest in this thread, perhaps it will come to fruition.

I hope this can be accomplished as we have long known that Mike is our personal national treasure.

Thinking ahead: movie rights!!!!

27-Jun-16
Kyle...sent you an email.

27-Jun-16
damn glad to hear he is well and still does stuff like going out to lunch with strangers from the bowsite.

27-Jun-16
I'll call Mike and see what he thinks. Hopefully he'll be excited by the opportunity.

27-Jun-16
Maybe someone like Oliver North could be interested in taking on the project. I believe that it is that compelling.

The first priority is to not lose the information and stories, the the second could be to provide income for him and his wife.

27-Jun-16
Henry,

Why Oliver North? You must know something about his professional background I don't.

27-Jun-16
I am really liking this idea! I have missed Mike's input and loved the stories he could tell. Honestly, he would be the most compelling reason I would have for traveling to Hawaii. And would probably be too shy to meet him when I got there.

27-Jun-16
Doesn't North do a series called something like "War Stories?"

27-Jun-16
Henry,

I'm a fan of Ollie, but haven't kept up on what he's been up to lately for a very long time.

That said, if we could get a celebrity behind such a book that would be a very big deal!

I just went on to Orbitz to get an idea of what it would cost us to send Jack to Honolulu and back. The round trip airfare is a little under $1,000, which is very reasonable. Then we'd have hotel, meals, etc., which would add a bit more, but not a lot.

Kyle

28-Jun-16
ttt, for Lynn

29-Jun-16
ttt

25-Sep-16
I talked with Mike and Lynn this afternoon.

Mike was laid up with a kidney stone the past couple of weeks, but is back on his game now.

The book project is still a GO!

26-Sep-16
Sounds like a winner to get a book. Keep us up to date.

26-Sep-16
Glad it is still on track.

• Sitka Gear