Shuteye 01-Jul-16
gflight 03-Jul-16
Woods Walker 03-Jul-16
elkmtngear 03-Jul-16
Shuteye 04-Jul-16
NvaGvUp 04-Jul-16
Shuteye 04-Jul-16
27-Jun-16
This was a post on Facebook a couple of hours ago in my former home time where all my kids and grandkids live. Every time you bring up the topic of pitbulls, you seem to get so many people that defend them. Well I'm sorry but I have met up with a lot of different stray dogs from labs, to bird dogs to dobermans and German shephards and never felt threatened by any of them as much as a couple of pit bulls I have encountered. I know it is the owners fault in this case, if there is an owner. But I don't understand how anyone would want a dog that is as unpredictable and dangerous as a pit bull.

"THERE IS A FULL GROWN BLACK AND WHITE PIT BULL RUNNING AROUND. THE DOG ATTACKED THE MAIL CARRIER AND HE WAS TAKEN BY SQUAD FOR BITES AND A JACKED UP KNEE. THE OFFICER AND POST MASTER ARE TELLING US ALL TO KEEP OUR KIDS AND PETS INSIDE UNTIL THE DOG IS FOUND!"

27-Jun-16
Jim, I don't get it either. Around here all Pit bull owners look the same. Tattooed all over, scroungy looking generally, etc.... Usually, drugies or someone who thinks having a pit bull makes their scrawny butt look tough.

The first words from an owner after an attack ALWAYS, "It has never done anything like that before!" BINGO, there lies the problem, they are an unpredictable breed. How often do you hear of a lab in an unprovoked attack? Personally, never!

27-Jun-16

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Yup here's one of those mean Pitt Bulls. There is just no getting through to some of you folks.

27-Jun-16

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
And here he is attacking the deer herd in the backyard, look they're scared stiff. They're absolutely no different than any other dog breed.

27-Jun-16
I have no animosity against any particular breed. It's all about their disposition.

27-Jun-16
I can throw just as many websites up here that will say the exact opposite of what you posted hackbow.

27-Jun-16
When I got that message on facebook, I immediately called all three of my daughters that lived there with my grandchildren. Two had not heard about it, one had. When you have three grandchildren from 3 to 7 years old playing outside in this little town, you worry a lot. Still don't know if they have caught it yet.

27-Jun-16

Mint's Link
Hackbow, just to give you a little background info. Do you know you started that website and owns it? A lawyer you specializes in taking dog bite cases.

The facts are American Pitbull Terriers bite much less than other breeds compared to their overall population. Their score on the American Temperament Testing society was better than the Golden Retriever. Pit Bulls were less likely to show aggression than: Beagles, Bull Dogs, Basset Hounds, Bichon Frise, Corgis, Chihuahuas, German Shepherds, Poodles, Yorkshier Terriers and so many more breeds that it would be impossible for me to list them all right here.

But if you are the type of person that reacts with emotion you will never get past the way pitbulls will look and discover the truth. If you look at the experts, ASPCA, Ceasar Milan etc you will learn the ABT is a truly amazing breed.

27-Jun-16
I don't know how often they bite compared to other dogs but when they do, they may kill you. They were bred to bite and hand on until one or the other is dead.

I have been bitten by a lab, a collie, a couple little mutts and in every case it was just a tiny nip and I didn't need any first aid. Don't know if you could say that about a pit bull.

27-Jun-16
I have met many friendly pit bulls that are big baby's. You may want to look at the owners of many urban pit bulls to see why some are dangerous. The pit bull also happens to be the favorite breed of the dog whisperer Ceasar Milan. Go to your local dog shelter and you may change your mind. If I didn't want a hunting dog I would not think twice about a pit bull. The only thing I hate about a Pitbull is that they are the choice of scum around here so the shelter is over run with them.

27-Jun-16
I have a friend that has a pit bull and it is very friendly. My dad had a German shepherd that he put on a long lead so he could get in the pond. Mom looked out the window and he was being attacked. My dad jumped on his tractor with a 12 ga shotgun. He hollered at the dog and it let go of the Shepherd and came at my dad who was still on the tractor. He called me to come identify what kind of dog it was. It was a dead pit bull. The German Shepherd was dead too. It wasn't a fair fight since the Shepherd was on a chain hooked to a long wire lead. The Shepherd's neck was a mass of blood. We have no idea where the pit bull came from and had never seen it before.

27-Jun-16
Just what makes an American Bull Terrier an amazing breed.

Can they run through fields finding pheasants and quail, point them and retrieve them when their master shoots them.

Can they follow a coon, bear, or mountain lion for miles until they finally tree it.

Can they swim 30 yards through ice cold water to retrieve ducks or geese.

Can they be trained to be a good reliable police or military K-9.

Just what is the talent that makes these dogs so amazing.

27-Jun-16

Mint's Link
Jim, you a very lucky if a lab or collie bit you. Trust me any dog that size can do serious damage. A saw a golden retriever take down a 200lb bad a$$ biker once.

The problem with pitbulls is that some of the same people that own them can't raise a dog or kid the right way. Their kids are the thugs committing all the crime and you think they can raise a dog properly? Instead of being the pack leader for the dog they are abusive and want to rule with fear. That creates a very dangerous dog be it lab or pitbull.

27-Jun-16
Yes Jim they can be trained to do all those things. In fact the United Kennel Club runs competitions for Super Dog Status. The APT dominates the listing.

Hackbow: "That is where the intellectually honest rubber meets the road. It is that family of dog breeds that combine for the MUCH greater number and percentage, by breed or type, of attacks resulting in severe injury or death."

You are wrong. When overall population is involved pitbulls bite much less than other dog breeds which is absolutely amazing since so many are abandoned by urban thugs and losers.

27-Jun-16
Hackbow, I guess being a CPA I always look at the statistics. If the statistics are right which is doubtful since they lump lots of other breeds into "pitbull". This is an excerpt from the National Canine Research council

Breed was not one of the factors identified

The authors report that the breed of the dog or dogs could not be reliably identified in more than 80% of cases. News accounts disagreed with each other and/or with animal control reports in a significant number of incidents, casting doubt on the reliability of breed attributions and more generally for using media reports as a primary source of data for scientific studies. In only 45 (18%) of the cases in this study could these researchers make a valid determination that the animal was a member of a distinct, recognized breed. Twenty different breeds, along with two known mixes, were identified in connection with those 45 incidents.

27-Jun-16
Hackbow, you took that out of context, any large dog will cause more damage than a jack Russell or daschund which is what they were talking about.

27-Jun-16
Send them unwanted ones to the White House. According to OBummer, "They are delicious".

27-Jun-16
I agree with you when you suggest a lot has to do with how they're raised.

I've seen a few St. Bernards that didn't act very Christianly.

27-Jun-16
I have a friend that is a vet, certain breeds she will not work on, no matter what the owner says, until it has a muzzle on! Pit bulls being one of them.

She took the owners word on a Pit a few years ago and ended up getting bit pretty good.

I totally agree that dogs are like children, they generally turn out the way they are raised. Any breed can be raised to be mean, but certain breeds are commonly known to be unpredictable and Pits just happen to fall into that category.

Like I said before, the phrase you always hear "They have never done anything like that before....."

Hey, I wouldn't have a Chow either. I know a family who got trapped in a bedroom by their family Chow that suddenly came unhinged. It had never acted that way either. This was several years ago but the animal control person said at that point in time, they received more calls on Chows than any other breed. I'd bet that has changed now. Last time I was down at the local dog pound, 75% of the dogs in there were some form of Pit.

27-Jun-16
"trapped in a bedroom by their family Chow that suddenly came unhinged"

all I can say is get some balls.

27-Jun-16
SA, sorry you don't know this situation. The guy has a debilitating disease that affects his ability to get around. He is very unstable on his feet. It will eventually kill him.

The dog could have easily taken him down if it had gotten a hold of him.

27-Jun-16
The only dog I have ever been bitten by was a Chow. I smacked the crap out of him afterwards. The owner was a friend of mine and he was pissed I hit his dog...we don't hang out much anymore.

Chows are very protective and can be mean and they are a pretty good sized dog...

Read a story somewhere today where a couple called 911 and told them they were being held captive by their cat...musta been a big cat...

27-Jun-16
"Any breed can be raised to be mean, but certain breeds are commonly known to be unpredictable and Pits just happen to fall into that category."

I believe the temperament test proves that is wrong.

27-Jun-16
Well I don't want to argue about it anymore. I have an animal "dog" for a reason.

My last dog was a female Brittany. I had her for 3 reasons.

1. She was the best hunting dog I ever owned. Without any formal training, she pointed pheasants, quail etc. chased down the cripples and brought them to me.

2. She kept the critters out of our backyard, coon, possum, groundhogs, things that can do a lot of damage when you live in the middle of the woods.

3. She would warn me as soon as anybody started up our 300 foot wooded lane. We could prepare for the visitor, whoever it was. AND SHE NEVER BIT ANYONE, despite all the different people from little Amish children to delivery men and hunters.

Had her for 14 years. Won't get another as we travel to much now. You can have your pit bulls, but please keep them confined.

27-Jun-16
gun goes bang....dog is dead. you don't need to be able walk for that.

27-Jun-16
I had a chow and he was really a nice dog that absolutely loved little kids. The neighbors little girls would ride him and he loved it. He would growl at strange grownups but never bit anyone. A little kid that he had never seen before could go right to him and he liked that. He was also very fond of popsicles.

27-Jun-16
Pits are like guns. They are as socially valid as the people that possess them.

My black mouth cur has been vilified with the same stigma as pits and a human would have to beat him to an inch of his life before he even thought about biting.

27-Jun-16
Sorry to disagree, Owl, but there is no constitutional right to own a pit.

I cannot think of a legitimate reason to own one that could not also be fulfilled by a more benign dog.

27-Jun-16

27-Jun-16
“These guns are not made for recreation, hunting, or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.”

“These dogs are not made for recreation, hunting, or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of dog fighting and killing people.”

Let's also ban Rottweilers, German Shepards, Husky, Malmute, Wolf-Dog, Doberman, Chow-Chow, Great Dane, and St. Bernard.

Where does it stop? Shall we destroy all dogs?

You liberal Trump folks supporting PETA now?

27-Jun-16
"They're absolutely no different than any other dog breed."

That's a lie. The breed was developed to have massive, strong jaws and was bred to fight in bull baiting (where they grab the face of a bull and hang on) and with other dogs. That makes them quite a bit different than my Gordon Setter. She's concerned about birds...period

Yes, any dog can be mean, but let's face it, I'd rather have a shetland sheep dog go whacko on me than a Pit Bull, because if they do you have a BIG problem on your hands. They're bred to latch on and hold on...and they do.

I do agree that vast majority of the problem with this breed isn't the dog itself, but the a-holes that own them, pretty much like any other dog.

But if you want to hunt birds, you get a bird dog breed, not a Chihuahua. If you want to kill something you get a Pit Bull. That's what they're built for.

I'm just happy that Jack Russell Terriers don't get as big as Pit Bulls because if they did they'd make Pit Bulls look like wussies.

27-Jun-16

gflight's Link
So, what exactly is a "pit bull?" Nobody really knows.

Pick the "Assault Weapon" at link.......

28-Jun-16

Woods Walker's Link
Bullcrap again. Maybe YOU don't know. There's confusion, yes. But there ARE distinct Pit breeds.

Why don't you guys get your facts straight before proceed with your agenda? You sound like Obama and his delusions about Islam and ISIS.

And your comparison with firearms is null. Firearms have ZERO will or instinct of their own. They can and will do NOTHING until you put a human being in control of one.

Try again.

28-Jun-16
HA, you are correct. I'll add there is no constitutional right to drive an automobile but that does not give anyone the right to deny a safe operator access to one.

Liability should be direct, not blanketed. Reminds of the "zero tolerance" nonsense pushed by folks who are institutionally fearful of other people's lives.

28-Jun-16
I have had Pitt Bulls off and on since I was a baby, I'm now 46. It is clear here with this thread that some on this forum are nothing more than Internet bullies and the only thing I will say to that is a dog is known for its good judge of caricature. So maybe that is why they where bit. Ha my Pitt came from a rescue that pulled him out of Chicago, my wife and I chose to give this dog a second chance at a good life so to say there is no legitimate reason to own one. I will respectfully disagree with that statement. There are no bad dogs just bad owners and closed minded people who have based there decision on one bad encounter or what they have read off the Internet.

28-Jun-16

Jim Moore's Link
This just on the morning wire. Two Pit/sharpei crosses dining on a 3 year old.

I get it. Pits are nice dogs, until thier not. They seem to be made with a kill switch. You don't know where it is, or where or when it will turn on, but....

"Police in Central California say two family dogs killed a 3-day-old baby after her mother left her on the couch and walked away for a few seconds.

Fresno Police Sgt. Dan Macias tells the Fresno Bee (http://bit.ly/28ZVnQU) the girl's mother had left the door open because it was hot and she thought the dogs were tied up in the back yard.

The baby died at a hospital shortly after the attack Monday.

Macias says the two male dogs, which are believed to be a mix of shar-pei and pit bull are owned by the 33-year-old woman's brother. He surrendered the dogs to the Central California Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. SPCA spokesman Walter Salvari says the dogs will be euthanized."

28-Jun-16
There what people make them. I've got two next door nice as can be. My niece and nephew both have one, no problem. My sister's husband had one but he made it mean as hell.

28-Jun-16

Mint's Link
And Jim that article has a red flag right next to it. The dogs were tied up, which is a big problem with any big powerful breed. Tying the dog up builds up its frustrations. I'll bet both of those male dogs were unneutered too. And they are guessing they are pits.

Frankly I'm very surprised by you guys wanting to ban these dogs. You use the same logic liberals do with the AR-15. Since a small percentage are used in crime we should ban them all. All of you guys totally disregard what the experts say and react with emotion. Pretty sad.

Here is a link from dog breed info about APT's if you want to learn something.

28-Jun-16
Substitute muslim for pit in the above discussions and see what it looks like to you.

28-Jun-16
Why don't you tell me since you sound a little off to me?

Temperament evaluations by the American Temperament Test Society give American Pit Bull Terriers an extremely high passing rate of 82.6 percent. The average passing rate for the other 121 breeds of dogs tested was 77 percent.

28-Jun-16
Mint,

"Frankly I'm very surprised by you guys wanting to ban these dogs. You use the same logic liberals do with the AR-15."

I can lock my AR up for weeks, months or even years. When I take it out of the safe, it has the same disposition as when I put it in. Straw man argument. A PB is a living sentient being that can snap at any given moment. An AR is inanimate object that can only be used by someone that has snapped. By itself, it can hurt no one.

28-Jun-16
"A PB is a living sentient being that can snap at any given moment."

And you can snap at any given moment and go get your AR-15 and hurt someone.

28-Jun-16
Back in the 1950's it was the german shepherd then the doberman pinscher and then rottweiler and now the pit bull. When is the chihuahua the bad dog on the block? Never liked those little things.lol

28-Jun-16
I have so far stayed out of this, but have decided to post due to recent events.

Yesterday I came home and found my girlfriend and I's dog dead on my back porch.

Our dog was a stray that wandered up. We got the word out to the neighbors and called the shelters, but couldn't find her owner, so we kept her. We hadn't had her long and were told she was likely a Redbone/hound mix. This dog was young, probably about a year old based on tooth condition, ornery, but loving and playful.

Anyhow, when I left our dog behind in the pen yesterday to go to work, I noticed the neighbor's two pit mixes were out roaming. Normally this isn't a huge issue for me alone, nor did I believe it to be for our dog since she was in a pen.

Well, somehow she was able to dig/crawl out at the bottom of the pen, which she hadn't done previously. When I examined her dead body, it wasn't immediately apparent that she had been attacked, but I found other things. The back porch furniture had been moved and there were muddy spots at different locations on the porch from paws and dogs rolling around. The screen door was pawed at and broken. Her collar was taken off and laying just outside of the small fenced portion of our yard. When rolled over, she had blood spots on the side of her face, ear, and abdomen between her front legs. It became obvious that there had been some sort of struggle and that she was likely attacked, but didn't die immediately. She had, however, likely died earlier in the day, as it appeared she baked in the sun for a while.

Nothing was done to any of the other dogs by me only because I can't prove exactly what happened. One of the suspect dogs had been showing increased aggression lately, and was spotted eyeing our dog that morning. We have strong feelings that dog was the attacker. I wish I could prove something, as I still believe in the burden of proof even for a dog, but alas that is not going to happen.

The thing is, all involved parties love dogs: myself, my girlfriend, and the neighbor. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's pet on suspicion alone, but my girlfriend is a wreck and she wants something done. Btw, she is also pregnant, so we have even more reason for concern.

I also believe that it would be crazy to call for an all-out ban on pit-type dogs. Any type of dog can be made by the owner, but let's be real here, there is an increased responsibility with owning this type of dog. These dogs are inherently more dangerous than many (not all other) dog breeds, and anyone who believes otherwise is simply burying their head in the sand. I am honestly very surprised by some of the willful ignorance displayed on this thread.

I walk the "neighborhood", which essentially entails walking the area within a 3 mile radius of our house in the country. I've had problems with two different types of dogs; pit/bulldog mixes and boxers. The boxer has latched on to my boot before, but I believe I can take him if he is alone and I can keep him in front of me. With the pit encounters I simply feel lucky that either the owner was home and the dog obeyed, or they decided they didn't want me at that time. Escalating the encounter with these dogs would be a mistake, unless absolutely unavoidable. A man without weapon is not the best match against one of these dogs. Yeah, there are more aggressive little yippy dogs that annoy me, but they don't pose as much danger because my boot will heal them without issue.

28-Jun-16
Was on a hog hunt with dogs in South Carolina back in 2004.

Catahaulas has caught a big boar that my partner was trying to spear.

One of the guides then drove up about 50 yards away, dropped the tailgate, and let out a big male Pit Bull they had named "Bar-room".

As soon as the hog, 50 yards away, saw the Pit Bull, the big ole boar immediately escalated his squeels and attacks while trying to shake off the Catajailas before "Bar-room" arrived to join the fight.

Just the presence of the Pit Bull was immediately recognized by the Boar as a factor to be dealt with.

We humans are supposed to be much smarter than a hog.

28-Jun-16
Sorry that you lost your dog.

Any owner that lets their dogs roam is irresponsible. Sometimes mistakes happen and dogs get out but that should be rare.

28-Jun-16
Mint,

"And you can snap at any given moment and go get your AR-15 and hurt someone."

That whooooosh sound.......it was a point sailing right over your head. An AR cannot do anything on its own. It requires user input. The same cannot be said for PB's.

28-Jun-16
And it sailed right over your head that pitbulls don't just "snap".

28-Jun-16
"The dogs were tied up, which is a big problem with any big powerful breed. Tying the dog up builds up its frustrations."

"And it sailed right over your head that pitbulls don't just "snap"."

My AR doesn't get frustrated and snap if it's been locked up. Get it?

28-Jun-16
So if you AR isn't locked up it is a danger I guess. This idiot didn't properly secure his pitbull. Get it?

And you can snap at any given moment and go get your AR-15 and hurt someone.

28-Jun-16
Not sure how hard this is...... I can leave my AR out, stand it in a corner. It cannot do ANYTHING with out user input. The PB does not require user input. They can and do snap and rip the face off of people, while the AR still sits in the corner. I can tease the AR, I can run past it, I can call it names. It doesn't do a ****ing thing.

You are comparing a living being that can act on it's own with a tool that requires user input. WTF....

28-Jun-16
I don't have a dog in the fight.;) To say this breed is no different than any other is absurd. All breeds are different, some are prone to barking. Sure all dogs can bark but yappy little dogs bark more. The problem however isn't the breed it's that 98% of pit owners want a watch dog and make it mean. Sure in the right house they are good dogs but it takes very little to make these dogs fighters. That said, a ban is stupid, there are plenty of other breeds a meth head can use if pits are banned. Maybe none so effective but a dang blue heeler can due a lot of damage. Sharpe, boxer, mastiffs, dobermans, German Shepard, and not to mention wolf hybrids can all be the same if you want them to. I have zero tolerance on a biting dog. I've heard of too many cow dogs tearing up kids.

28-Jun-16

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
I just stopped by my fishing buddy's house. He recently lost his six year old Boxer from cancer. He got two new boxer puppies. You can tell they are guarding him and will be killers. I thought they would lick me to death when I got there.

28-Jun-16
Gun owners are responsible for guns and dog owners are responsible for dogs. Whether it is responsible gun ownership or responsible dog ownership it is the owner who must have personal responsibility. If it is a stray SSS....

Do you let your grandkids play with loaded guns? Do you let your grandkids play with random dogs?

You closet Democrats and your wanting the nanny states to ban something because you are afraid.

Some of the breeds banned or restricted somewhere in the US.....

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Boxer, American Bulldog, Tosa Inu, Dogo Canario, Cane Corso, Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff), Akita Inu, Dogue de Bordeaux, Bandog, Bullmastiff, Doberman Pinscher, Ca de Bou (Majorca Mastiff), Kuvas, German Shepherd, Mastino Neapolitano, Rottweiler, Chow Chow, Japanese Mastiff, Mixtures of wolves, Hybrids of the above-mentioned breeds.

Limitations of ownership in some States include: the age of the owner must be at least 21 years, the amount of liability insurance must be 100 000 $, prohibition the sale of dangerous dogs, the dog can be given only to relatives, at private homes owners must be sure to hang warning signs.

Cognitive dissonance is really showing.....

28-Jun-16
Thank you gflight.

Do I think everyone should have a APT? No, you need to be a pack leader and treat the pit as a dog, not a human. Any large dog needs to be handled this way.

28-Jun-16
gflight, we agree on plenty, but your comparisons with guns (why you continue to do so I have no idea) still falls short. It isn't about allowing your kids/grandkids to play with them. The dog may just show up where those children are and decide it wants to "play", or any number of other possible scenarios.

I'm not one calling for a ban, so I know the majority of your post was not aimed in my direction. However, the comparisons between guns and any dog is absurd, and IS CERTAINLY the kind of tool used by the liberal left. A bit hypocritical to accuse others of playing a similar game you are, even though I don't disagree with your premise.

28-Jun-16
Wow, at some point glight and Mint took the giant leap and said we all wanted pit bulls banned. I had to re-read everything, and just could not pull anything away in that regard. Hmmm.

What I do see a lot of agreement on, is the owners are culpable for these dogs of any stripe. What seems to be evident to me is that some of these dogs, and it sure seems a lot of the pitbull breed, have a trigger in there somewhere.

My sons friend has a big pitbull. Like some say, that dog is the sweetest damn thing. I found it laying alongside a dirt road one time and picked her up. She is about as layed back as a dog can get. I kind of worry just a bit when my son has his little boys around her though. My prerogative. It's a grandpa thing.

28-Jun-16
Gflight,

"Do you let your grandkids play with loaded guns? Do you let your grandkids play with random dogs?"

Nope & nope. But then I don't need to worry that my AR is going to slip it's leash, break out of my gun vault, race across two yards and rip the shit out of some innocent kid.

"Cognitive dissonance is really showing....." Indeed.

28-Jun-16
Any of those dogs on the multiple lists I linked to can "show up" because an owner is irresponsible....

What is the point of restricting law abiding dog owners who control there animals or assuming because it looks like an assault dog it must be dangerous.

Where this talk leads is a law abiding citizen losing their rights because of feelings rather than facts.

Many facts were presented to temperment and breeds who have hurt people and on the other side was feelings like the gun grabbers use, "I was bit once by one" and "I cannot think of a legitimate reason to own one that could not also be fulfilled by a more benign dog."

These opinions support the gun grabbers, you obviously wouldn't complain about these common sense dog laws.

That my friends is Liberal behavior. Own it, instead of accusing me of it.

Government can't save you is all I am saying, don't stand against the freedoms we do have.

28-Jun-16
"Nope & nope. But then I don't need to worry that my AR is going to slip it's leash, break out of my gun vault, race across two yards and rip the shit out of some innocent kid."

Why do you have your guns in a vault?

28-Jun-16
"Why do you have your guns in a vault?"

To keep people from stealing them.

28-Jun-16
The gun/dog comparison is false. Dogs have a will of their own and can act as such.

Guns don't/can't.

Try again.

29-Jun-16
Inasmuch as the illicit danger of a firearm and a dog are largely reflections of how they are kept and managed, the analogy is valid. However, they differ in that a firearm can be negligently kept and, without the direct application of additional malfeasance, will remain idle. Not so with a menacing dog.

29-Jun-16
gflight, please direct your comments to someone, if you don't mind. Who is calling for the ban? I'm not. I'm the one who accused your comparisons between guns and dogs as being liberal behavior because that is just what it is, so it appears you are directing your post at me? I'm not sure though. What you said in your post does not accurately portray my thoughts.

"Government can't save you is all I am saying, don't stand against the freedoms we do have." No doubt.

Glad you cleared up where you stand Owl. I was somewhat skeptical based on your earlier posting. ;^)

29-Jun-16
The resolution to this is simple. Don't ban breeds, etc. Just make the dog an extension of the owner from a legal perspective. Dog bites, charge the owner with simple assault. Dog kills, charge the owner with manslaughter. Dog mauls a kid or an adult, charge accordingly with attempted manslaughter, or whatever charge fits. Make the irresponsible owners bear the burden of their pet. All of these discussions go the same way. This is the best solution as I see it, and apply it equally to all dogs.

29-Jun-16
Brotsky I don't know if that would be such a good idea. Say you came to my house and started beating me or my dog and he bites you then I'm liable.

29-Jun-16
"Dog bites, charge the owner with simple assault. Dog kills, charge the owner with manslaughter. Dog mauls a kid or an adult, charge accordingly with attempted manslaughter, or whatever charge fits. Make the irresponsible owners bear the burden of their pet. All of these discussions go the same way. This is the best solution as I see it, and apply it equally to all dogs."

And stray/feral dogs fit into this plan how????

29-Jun-16
Scrappy, self defense, no different than if I were harming you today. If I'm threatening you somehow and you defend yourself or your dog defends you then no problem. I'm talking about unprovoked attacks.

Dave, how do stray/feral animals fit into any plan now? Maybe we should ban stray dogs? I'm not understanding how your argument applies here as there is no owner of a stray animal?

What the hell happened to personal responsibility?

29-Jun-16
Another one we see all the time, neighbors kid come over and is playing with my dog and he scratches the kid. Nobody is hurt but the parents go nuts. Now I'm charged with assault.

29-Jun-16
The gun/dog analogy should maybe be gun owner/dog. Just a couple days ago a gun owner snapped and shot her two daughters. If she wouldn't have had a gun she could not have done this in the same way that if a pit bull is properly trained and restrained he won't kill people. Should all people be banned from owning guns because some have snapped and killed people?

29-Jun-16

tonyo6302's Link
"Dog mauls a kid or an adult, charge accordingly with attempted manslaughter, or whatever charge fits. Make the irresponsible owners bear the burden of their pet."

Dave, I agree, and my County was the first in the nation to get a manslaughter conviction for pit bull attacks.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2005/12/22/pit-bull-owner-convicted-manslaughter.html

29-Jun-16
I have no problem charging the owner if a dog causes harm to a human. Heck I think Parents should be charged when their feral kids cause problems.

29-Jun-16
Scrappy, use some common sense. That's not at all what I was suggesting. I'm talking about unprovoked attacks by uncontrolled animals and the owner being held criminally liable. If your dogs are angels and would never hurt anyone then what is the concern? I would have no concerns about my labs.

Tony, exactly what I'm suggesting be done nationally. Good for them for making that stick, tragedy what happened to that old woman though.

Don't ban anything, just make people take responsibility for their choices. Pretty simple and straight forward. You can have as many pit bulls as your heart desires. If something happens, you can pay the piper. Let's make America great again! Ha!

29-Jun-16
"Dog bites, charge the owner with simple assault. "

It's a stupid, stupid, liberal-assed idea.

A kid comes by your house, starts teasing and poking a stick through the fence at your otherwise mild-mannered dog, and then the kid sticks his hand through the fence and pulls your dog's ear and the dog bites his hand. Nobody sees or hears a thing except the little brat.

Kids goes crying and bleeding to his mommy, mommy calls the cops, cops charge you with assault.

And that's just the start of your nightmare.

Stupid, stupid idea.

29-Jun-16
I can use as much common sense as the next guy, but we both know with more laws there will be more people unjustly charged. Why should a law abiding citizens have more laws. Sounds familiar huh. Please don't lump law abiding citizens in with the bad guys. This sounds familiar too huh. I don't have a problem with holding unresponsible pet owners liable. More laws are a slippery slope and we all know that. One last thing if someone steals your gun and kills somebody, should you pay the piper?

29-Jun-16
Dave, I totally understand what you are saying. Then I think a temperament test should be done to see if the dog would act that way. If it passes the test than the kid must have done something to provoke the dog.

One time the kids done the block were throwing rocks at my pitbull. She was behind a four foot fence that she easily could have jumped. Well that night I went and talked to the parents to give them a warning that if my dog ended up attacking their kids that was the reason. I told them, my dog will be put down alright but your kid will be mauled pretty badly.

What was kind of funny is that this kid that loved my dog and would pet her everyday found out about it somehow and he beat the living crap out of those three kids.

29-Jun-16
Who said anything about banning them? No way!

All I'm saying is that they are a breed of dog that has had certain physical and instinctive traits bred into them. Just like hunting dogs, livestock handling dogs and horses have. And ultimately it's the owner of the animal that's responsible for it.

And that's where the problems lie.

29-Jun-16
"It's a stupid, stupid, liberal-assed idea."

It's the farthest thing from a liberal assed idea as there is Dave. Since when did personal responsibility become a bastion of liberalism?

Liberals want whatever makes them feel good without fear of consequences. I think we know what the liberal assed idea here is.

In your straw man argument if your dog is behind your fence then there is no liability, the kid had to have been trespassing to be bitten and the dog has the right to protect its property.

29-Jun-16
"One last thing if someone steals your gun and kills somebody, should you pay the piper?"

Nope, and if someone steals your dog and uses it inappropriately I wouldn't expect you to be charged either. See how that argument works?

Now if I left my gun out on the sidewalk and the neighbor kid found it and shot himself with it I would expect to be charged with something because I've been criminally negligent. That's a more reasonable and concise analogy.

29-Jun-16

Joey Ward's embedded Photo
Joey Ward's embedded Photo
Here's my current. Actually my daughters. A rescue dog. Spent most of her life in the shelter in a small pen.

Honey. She's a sweetheart. 18 mo, smart, obedient, loving, and a couch hog. Fit right in with my other dogs. Black lab and lab-golden retriever mix.

Wish I could take a nap. :-)

29-Jun-16
Joey,

My Cousin had a Pit Bull, gentle, just like that.

One day, out of the clear blue, it bit my nephew right in the face, right in front of my Cousin.

My nephew was performing the dastardly act of watching TV, and reaching out to pet the dog as it walked by.

My Nephew was 5 at the time, and had known the dog all his life.

My Cousin took care of the dog, country boy style.

My nephew still has scars on his face.

Pit Bulls don't seem to have different levels of biting. I have been bit by a few different breeds, and most were check bites, that didn't draw blood. A Pit Bull will put 100% effort into a bite, from my experience.

Tony

29-Jun-16
Tony, when we were younger, dad had a pointer that bit brother in the face. Hell of a bird dog. Back when we could get on several coveys a day.

Dad killed it immediately. In our backyard on a residential street.

Anyway, I've always had dogs around. Hunting dogs. Grew up with all kinds of hounds in the days when we had dog drives for deer.

I've seen the personalities.

This is our fourth pit. My kids have been around them their whole lives. Never a problem.

But I have NO problem killing any dog that exhibits behavior that I feel is dangerous. And that can come before a bite ever takes place.

29-Jun-16
I had a huge malamute that went trapping and fishing with me. Only problem was he was a one man dog. He didn't want my wife or kids to get close to me. I gave him to a friend the the dog went to work in a bank. At closing time my friend put the dog in the bank and came and got him before opening the next morning. He got paid pretty good for doing that. The only problem my friend ever had was the day I gave him the dog, he took it home and let it out of the truck. It killed a goat real quick. My friend was a dog and horse trainer. The malamute was huge and I had to put my fish in a container or he would eat them whole. White perch have sharp fins but it never bothered him a bit.

29-Jun-16

Mint's embedded Photo
Mint's embedded Photo
It's all about being a pack leader and not subordinate to the dog. If you see a dog on a leesh pulling someone down the street than stay away. That dog is the leader of the pack.

Contrary to what some people believe, Pits were breed to be dog aggressive but were specifically bred not to be human aggressive. The last thing a owner wanted was a dog that was fighting and hurting and in the zone to turn on a human.

This is my current pit mix.

30-Jun-16
Lovely dog Mint.

01-Jul-16
Back in the mid 90s we had a little get together with some of my wife's co-workers. Well one of them brought a 2 week old baby with and a few more had their yard apes with them. So I noticed that my dogs were real interested in the kids squealing and whatnot. A guy wanted to let them out of the kennels so the kids could play with them I said that's not a good idea as their really interested in the baby's cries. Well you guessed it no sooner I go inside he figures screw what I said and lets them out. Well you ever see how lions hit the ground with their bodies as they come in for the kill? Still remember the look of terror on the young mothers face as the were doing a beeline to her baby. Three dogs one at 55lbs another 70 lbs and one at 75lbs. I yelled back to which they reversed direction back to their kennels. I told the stupid SOB when I tell you not to do it don;t do it. The breed of dogs Treeing Walker coonhounds.

01-Jul-16

Shuteye's Link
Pit bull momma and rescued chihuahua puppies.

03-Jul-16
Because many derelicts are not responsible for their dogs and numbers of incidents go up with one type we automatically blame the breed.

Dogs are animals and can be dangerous unless controlled.

Responsibility is the problem not the type of firearm or the breed of dog.

03-Jul-16
Once again you miss the point g-man. Comparing guns with anything that has a free will of it's own is not valid.

Of course ownership responsibility is a factor, but you can leave a gun unlocked, unchained, unsupervised, etc. for eternity and it will NEVER move or do anything harmful or otherwise unless a another living thing picks it up and does it. NOT so with a dog.

03-Jul-16
When my niece was 3 years old, she was over at a neighbor's house, and their pit bull grabbed her by the face, and shook her like a rag doll. Fortunately they were able to get him to release.

After a lot of stitches and some scars that lasted a long time, she grew up to be a beautiful young woman.

The dog was a family pet that the owners swore had never shown aggression (they had young kids of their own).

Nobody knows what "flipped the switch".

Lots of breeds of dogs bite, but Pit Bulls were originally bred for their ability to bite and latch on and not let go.

I have to admit, the incident has left me with some reservations about the breed. That's just me.

04-Jul-16

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Pit Bull Pups are cute.

04-Jul-16
Many, many years ago there was an article in Sports Illustrated about pit bulls.

The thing I remember from the article went something like this:

"Don't judge a pit bull by how it looks. Judge it by how the OWNER looks."

04-Jul-16
When I played music we often played for a lady that had a Bull Mastiff. When we would arrive she would give each one of us a towel. The Mastiff was very friendly, weighed 205 pounds but you needed a towel when he licked you. Her husband wrote the Book Chesapeake, James Mitchener. Those dogs were bred to bring down people but he was friendly. If one was coming after me I would lay down.

• Sitka Gear