70lbdraw 30-Jun-16
HA/KS 30-Jun-16
70lbdraw 30-Jun-16
HA/KS 30-Jun-16
70lbdraw 01-Jul-16
HA/KS 01-Jul-16
28-Jun-16

HA/KS's Link
Unfortunately, our nation is rapidly going down the path of hatred of anything resembling Christianity or faith in God.

The thought that it might be a good idea to consider morals in choosing a president is ridiculed on Bowsite (as is anyone who thinks that way). It has been claimed on here that there is NO discrimination against Christians in America.

Haters are going to hate, but please think twice before you encourage them.

From the link:

Secularist progressivism claims to champion diversity, but its activists today do not tolerate genuine diversity, including and es­pecially in the realm of ideas, as revealed by today’s legal and other attacks on Christian colleges, Christian associations and clubs, Christian schools, Christian students, and Christian homeschooling.

28-Jun-16
Yes, and a nation that turns from God will not stand.

Our founders knew that America would only last as long as the people were moral and religious. People who are moral and religious self-regulate. Others end up being controlled by their government.

29-Jun-16
"Our founders knew that America would only last as long as the people were moral and religious."

This explains a lot about why we're currently circling the toilet bowl with Trump and Hillary as our presumptive nominees for President.

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

- John Adams

29-Jun-16
"As it is people who voted for evil, lesser or not, instead of standing fast to their principles, that have put us in this predicament today."

You'll find no argument from me here.

And that is a great quote from Thomas Jefferson.

A large book of the greatest quotes from America's Founding Fathers should be required reading in all public schools. Alas, today's public school students likely spend more time learning about pop culture than about anything related to the Founding Principles of America.

29-Jun-16
"A large book of the greatest quotes from America's Founding Fathers should be required reading in all public schools."

Amen to that!!! They could learn way more truth and insight into why the government was setup the way it was!!

If I was a history or Civics teacher, I think that would be one of my requirements. Having a "quote of the day or week". With a brief discussion on what it meant!!! If it was per week, then having a one page report due telling what it means to our country, etc.......

29-Jun-16
So...if someone isn't religious, they cannot be moral??

29-Jun-16
Irreligious people are as real as unicorns, 70lbdraw. Everyone worships something(s). And, were your hypothetical possible, no they cannot. They can possess morays but not morality. Morality requires principle and principle requires objective authority.

29-Jun-16
Owl...I can buy that. But I'm assuming the word "religious" in this context, covers a wide variety of things. Not just a church and a popular perception of God?

29-Jun-16
religion = superstition. It provides zero authority for anything.

29-Jun-16
right and good are self evident and can be agreed upon by the vast majority of people without any magic.

Religion is just a made up story to give substance to it for the simple minded folks who need help with their moral compass.

29-Jun-16
"institutional slavery of conquered peoples, tribal warfare, murder, slavery, imperialism, plunder, rape and subjugation of conquered women, FGM, conscription, indentured servitude, serfdom"

Right...no good Christian nations have ever been involved in any of that..they all knew better because of their superstitious upbringing.

29-Jun-16
I love how some people think they possess the capability to be "moral" without any connection whatsoever to God or laws and social mores guiding their "morality" that are based largely on principles enshrined in the 10 Commandments.

29-Jun-16
It's all made up...even the 10 commandments.

29-Jun-16
"Religion is just a made up story to give substance to it for the simple minded folks who need help with their moral compass."

- Yes. All of them. Except one. Without advocating for any in particular, logic demands there is 1 objective truth. If there exists 1 objective truth, there must be one true faith.

29-Jun-16
"It's all made up...even the 10 commandments."

So do you believe they are good rules to live by?

29-Jun-16
to me the 10 commandments are simply the mythological presentation of the obvious.

29-Jun-16
So how did humans that existed before the bible was written manage to thrive, survive, and procreate? What was their moral compass...other than common sense?

29-Jun-16
You can sum it up as the law of reciprocity. It is a principle of altruism found in many human cultures and religions.

Jesus called it the "Golden Rule" and used that phrase to summarize the meaning of the Torah.

I believe that it is simply a fundamental part of human nature.

29-Jun-16
"If no god exists, the only thing that makes any sense is that the strong survive"

That statement is not even remotely true and is the logical fallacy in your argument.

there is plenty of good evidence that cooperation is a much more successful strategy in the face of natural selection than every man for himself.

I also find it pretty interesting you are trying to use the primary mechanism that drives evolution in your argument.

If I was a betting man I'd be pretty certain you feel that you do not share a common ancestor with modern apes. But your DNA proves it.

29-Jun-16
Hack, first of all, "my religion" does not discount the existence of God. Only the validity of the bible which was written by the common man during a time in which our understanding of physics was nil at best.

To say God is self evident suggests that we all knew of him before we were taught about him. Not so. Are you suggesting that survival of the fittest and natural selection are not the result of gods creation? They are in fact self evident. One simply needs to observe the world around him to see it.

"No thriving evolved ooze-being would choose to water down his bloodline by allowing weaker humans to survive and use limited resources. That seems pretty damned "self evident" to me."

Sounds pretty "self righteous" to me, not to mention ignorant.

29-Jun-16
"It's all made up...even the 10 commandments." So do you believe they are good rules to live by?

29-Jun-16
My version of god is the reality i witness on a daily basis. I'm unable to prove or disprove the existence of God, therefore I'd be a fool to claim there is no god. You are also unable to prove the existence of god, but you lack the ability to understand there may be more to life than just pointing out mans imperfections and placing labels, and judgements on your fellow man.

We all came from somewhere, yet you insist we came from nowhere! The bible was simply a feeble attempt to explain the unexplainable by folks that had no knowledge of, nor the desire to understand, the basics of life. Common sense tells me we are ALL "ooze beings" ...even you Hack, as much as you are afraid to admit it. One thing is certain tho; wherever you end up when you die, you can bet bet I'll be there with you eventually.

30-Jun-16
So, SA and 70lb, are you saying that the premise upon which this nation was founded is false, thereby making the entire constitutional nation null and void?

That is my exact point. Our nation IS null and void unless the people choose to be moral and religious.

We are seeing that formerly great nation disintegrate in our lifetimes.

30-Jun-16
For you guys who don't believe the Bible, you do realize that enough of the places and events of the Bible have been proven to exist and to have happened, that it meets all the criteria for a historical document.......

And more and more of it is proven to be true every year as archeologists unearth more places in Israel and the Middle East area.

30-Jun-16
the premise this nation was founded upon was the separation of church at state. By law they have nothing to do with on another.

30-Jun-16
h5....the Koran is also historically accurate in the same sense as the Bible. Are you signing up for that belief system also?

30-Jun-16
"We are seeing that formerly great nation disintegrate in our lifetimes."

Is that because fewer people are turning away from religion, or because more people are fighting over it? Again...it's all about perception.

"For you guys who don't believe the Bible, you do realize that enough of the places and events of the Bible have been proven to exist and to have happened, that it meets all the criteria for a historical document..."

Thats a good start. Find actual evidence of an ark, a shroud, fossil remains of Adam and Eve, (with Adam missing a rib of course) etc, etc, etc, then we'll talk.

30-Jun-16
too much religion seems to be at the root of the world's problems today....not lack of it.

30-Jun-16
70lb, it is because when people do not control themselves, the government controls them.

30-Jun-16
Well stated Hackbow

30-Jun-16
The primary thing I have disagreement with is with those who arrogantly believe there is one and only one way to God and is has to be a specific mythology or it's no good.

To those for whom the myth is everything...I have to wonder how they are on substance? Are they going to leave more good in the world than they take out of it? That's all I'm shooting for...

30-Jun-16
Hack, I'm not placating anyone! I don't give a rats ass what you think of me. I look at life with common sense and the bible contradicts ever ounce of it.

I'm not denying anyones rights to do or think anything. I also don't condemn or hate anyone. I simply stand my ground and speak my mind in these threads...just like you and the others. You may not be beating anyone over the head with a bible but there are plenty here that do. I don't see you lecturing them on trying to keep YOUR faith a civil one. Afterall, it's them that compell me to to speak my mind as I do.

Where is it written that evolution is not a form of creation? Name one significant carbon based object or creature within our universe that was built without ingredients, materials, the elements, and most importantly, time and trial and error.

I respect your right to be wrong as well, but if you think you're going to share your opinion of the unknown on a public forum without debate, you're only fooling yourself.

Now, before you go putting anymore words on my mouth, go back and review this thread. I was contributing non-combative comments and inquiries. YOU are the one who chose to go on the attack by addressing me as a "non believing ooze being"; of course I'm going to engage. If you think this is simply a sport for me, why do you insist on enabling me? By the way to be a Christian isn't defined by whether or not you agree with my belief. Your thoughts on eternity are just as much a crap shoot as mine. I'm not losing any sleep over it...are you?

30-Jun-16
If there is not a God and the Bible is just a book, why do people react so strongly to a myth and just a book?

How is quoting "just a book" beating someone over the head? I think that the "beating" is in the internal struggle to reconcile the differences between what what we believe we know and the ideals revealed by the words of the Bible.

30-Jun-16
no argument. powerful book. perfected over centuries.

30-Jun-16
HA, Noone said there isn't a God.

"Why do people act so strongly to the bible?" I don't know, we all need something to believe in. Some choose to believe what they hear, and others choose to believe what they see I guess.

As for the 'beating" thing. I was responding to 'hack" as in hackbow. Not HAKS. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited: Stupid autocorrect!

30-Jun-16
I probably post more scripture here than anyone and have stated why. If I quote scripture, I know it is correct. If I post my own thoughts, I know that there is some element of error introduced.

01-Jul-16
"If I post my own thoughts, I know that there is some element of error introduced."

You're kidding right??!

01-Jul-16
No, I am not kidding. I am human and prone to error.

• Sitka Gear