Kathi 11-Aug-16
Anony Mouse 11-Aug-16
orionsbrother 11-Aug-16
Anony Mouse 11-Aug-16
orionsbrother 11-Aug-16
Anony Mouse 12-Aug-16
24-Jul-16

Anony Mouse's Link
joshua...you are what you are and everyone here has been exposed to your TOCD and COD. You are snide, rude and disrespectful of any who do not hold to your views.

However, I want to pass on some info for your upcoming trip because you are going to be seeing some of the most wonderful part of America. Hate to see you travel with family and not get the most out of your trip.

I just got back from a week with my family living in Jackson and spent most of the time in the Tetons and Yellowstone. My daughter is part of Jackson Hole Wildlife Safaris, so I experienced a week of professional touring.

Recommendations:

Take your schedule and rip it up. Touring the Tetons and Yellowstone with an itinerary may well reduce your opportunities to see what you came for.

Travel slow when looking for wildlife in and around the parks. Expect traffic jams when critters are easily seen on the roads. Wednesday, we were hit with several half hour waits while bison were crossing the road.

Have several sets of binoculars as often the animals are in the open, but at a distant. In the photo below, if you embiggen the image, there are elk in the background. (Cell phone camera)

Which makes this point...if you want really good photos, you need a camera with a good lens. Carrie has a BIG lens and keeps it and a sandbag to steady it wherever she drives. Of course, she's a professional.

There are some wildfires at present. As of today, only two entrances are open to Yellowstone...East and South. You will be there at the end of tourist season,but check and be aware of closures. They are letting some burn themselves out, so that is something to check on as you make plans.

In Yellowstone, the Lamar Valley is at present the best place to see lots of wildlife. Both elk and bison are getting ready to enter the breeding season as we saw lots of interest in the females on our tour with Carrie.

Around Jackson, Carrie drove us down Spring Gulch road at dusk. She said that every evening, huge elk would come down the mountain side of the road and cross into the adjoining hay fields. She wasn't wrong and we had some trophy elk cross in front of her truck as predicted (5 yards!).

Jackson has a farmer's market Saturday mornings with lots of good eats and local (and Idaho) products. Lot's of good eating and local beer is great (Snake River--Jenny Lake Lager!)

Again...if you stick to an itinerary, you may miss much of what you go there for. You will see a lot of great scenery, but miss most of the critters. Ask the rangers at the park entrances about sightings and recommendations. It costs $$$, but the local wildlife tour companies are the most tuned in when it comes to knowing when and where the critters might be.

I'd decide as to what sights are most important, hit them and then tour. Yellowstone cannot be done in a day and if you want to see it, get to the entries early as the later you get to an entrance, the longer it will take you to get in. Traffic picks up quite a bit by 10am.

If you send me your mailing address, I collected some info and maps I would be more than happy to send you.

jack

Edit: sorry, some images do not link properly. Similar found in link to photo album link.

25-Jul-16
josh...

josh...a couple of other things.

Several major fires in the area which will change views in the area for years. While the fires may be out by the time you go, you might want to check the local paper for news of what it happening in the area:

Jackson Hole News & Guide

Be aware of road closures.

The daily edition also posts which roads are closed...orange barrel season. Besides construction, rangers often will close a road for protection of the wildlife from a large volume of visitors.

Another site you might want to check out is a listing of the local webcams:

Jackson Hole Webcams

I believe I mentioned in that early thread about Gaper Guide. For self guided tours, this is a very good investment for someone who is not familiar with the area. It is a GPS augmented device that will provide information based upon your location. I met the owner last year and he is always tweaking and improving the system.

jack

26-Jul-16

Anony Mouse's embedded Photo
Anony Mouse's embedded Photo
Word from Carrie...bears becoming more visible feeding on berries. Winter not that far away.

26-Jul-16
I love bear pictures.

26-Jul-16

29-Jul-16
TTT for josh...

Cliff Creek fire

30-Jul-16
Strange...title of thread must have scared josh off.

This has to be the first and last thread that has "Trump" in the title that josh didn't make a posting--something truly unique.

Josh...seriously, please contact me as I have some good "stuff" that I would like to send you to help prepare for your trip this fall.

30-Jul-16
Is that true about a bear being stabbed 12 times by the guy killed?

01-Aug-16
I thought he meant stab yourself repeatedly until you die. Probably makes more sense. Cliff Creek fire isn't super close to Jackson, and just a bit more than a stone's throw from Yellowstone. Definitely good to have the insider (local) information though. Hopefully joshuaf heeds this advice.

01-Aug-16
In spite of urging, PMs, and the lure of the title of this thread, joshuaf has yet to respond. Which is really weird considering his propensity (and TOCD)to promote his #nevertrump agenda.

Heck, just trying to be nice.

Anyone interested in travel/tourist info for Jackson, Tetons and Yellowstone?

01-Aug-16
Jack - I thought it was a nice gesture on your part. Really the sort of help we used to always see here even among "enemies". ;)

I really thought Josh would at least acknowledge this thread even if he didn't care for the help.

Sideline to this but distantly related, I am changing positions at school this year and half my classes will be EAST (Environmental and Spatial Technology), which is a problem based program. The students are expected to work in groups and partner with the community for the project they choose. There are a lot of computer programs they are expected to use (some pretty advanced). All that to say this, at he training I went to this summer as a facilitator, one thing they stressed was handwritten thank you notes to the community helpers. Seems even in a computer based learning and high tech environment, personal thank yous are still proper etiquette. I may not be as old fashioned as I thought.

01-Aug-16
What is actually going on in this thread escapes me, but yes, that entire region of the country is on my bucket list. Sometimes I think I could live there like I had been there all my life, and other times I'm certain that I'm way too soft to make it in that area. I think that whole region may be the most beautiful in the country.

01-Aug-16
Troy...the title of the thread was to get josh to read about the materials I brought back for him. June (?)we had a thread where he mentioned taking his family to Jackson/Teton/Yellowstone and I collected some materials to help him planning his trip.

With josh's reputation of posting on any Trump related thread, I baited with the title. LOL

We just got home from a week with our kids out there and cannot wait till we get back.

At 69, I did notice that I had not acclimated to the altitude, but was able to do some hiking around with no problem. Kids tell me that winter is cold, but dressing properly does not keep one from enjoying the area. The past two winters, Carrie and Jason have snowmobiled into Yellowstone to photograph wolves. Smith often snowshoes around Jackson.

Jason's tour companies (Jackson Hole Wildlife Safaris)has been growing and he and Carrie are at the point where they are able to purchase a property. Due to the nature of it, they need to be close to town. Slight chance that Cherie and I may be able to build and create a family compound. LOL

My son has put in for a bison tag this year. He's been going to school (no loans...paying as he goes) and working his ass off. For a young man, he has gotten into management at one of the top resorts and now has two career paths: neonatal nursing and hotel management. He still finds time to enjoy what the area has to offer.

My wife hopes to find a position in one of the galleries, but I plan on concentrating on fishing, hunting and maybe learning how to scrape out bows.

I don't think anyone who goes there can leave without thinking about their next trip or wishing they could stay. For a "western" town, there are all sorts of cuisines to eat, really great beef and farm raised game on many menus. Have a great local brewery (Snake River)and some distilleries.

Since Carrie, Jason and Smith are well integrated into the community, I just wanted to share my resources with josh, no matter what his politics are and how dismissive he is of any that don't adhere to his views.

01-Aug-16
Salagi, that sounds exciting!

01-Aug-16
David...neat.

You'll have to tell me more off forum...and I will (as usual)keep my eye out for "stuff" ;o)

jack

01-Aug-16
Once my school year starts and I have told the kids, I will share here a project my kids will be working on this year.

02-Aug-16
"joshua...you are what you are and everyone here has been exposed to your TOCD and COD. You are snide, rude and disrespectful of any who do not hold to your views."

"This has to be the first and last thread that has "Trump" in the title that josh didn't make a posting--something truly unique."

"Which is really weird considering his propensity (and TOCD)to promote his #nevertrump agenda."

"With josh's reputation of posting on any Trump related thread, I baited with the title. LOL"

Jack, if you want to be helpful to someone, maybe just try being helpful instead of trying to be ugly, sarcastic and snarky and trying to make a political point at the same time. Maybe now you have an idea why I haven't responded to this thread until now.

02-Aug-16
Forget it... I was trying to be nice and give you some info to help you plan your family trip.

Thanks for proving you have no sense of humor.

You want the stuff or not?

02-Aug-16
Boy josh. Your last sentence fits you to a tee. How does it feel josh? Hang in there AM. Don't you know that josh is the only one on here that can bash someone, and is Mr. Perfect? If you do it back to him, he goes over to a corner, and cries about it. josh, that was very ungrateful, but doesn't surprise me, coming from you.

02-Aug-16
"Forget it... I was trying to be nice and give you some info to help you plan your family trip.

Thanks for proving you have no sense of humor."

When you essentially tell someone that they suck Donkey Balls but you're so magnanimous that you're going to help them anyway, not really a good way to start a dialogue. And why is your criticism of me to be taken with a "sense of humor", but my criticism of you isn't?

If you want to bash me on a political themed thread, bash away, I can take it and I can give it back. If you want to help on a thread not related at all to politics, maybe just leave the politics in the political themed threads. Is that a difficult ask?

"Unfortunately, many here rightfully feel they owe you several such zings before the score is evened, Josh, your chickens are coming home to roost. I don't think you realize how brutal your anti-Trump diatribes have been."

In political threads, I am more than happy to engage in a spirited discussion about politics. And I realize exactly how brutal my anti-Trump diatribes have been.

"You want the stuff or not?"

Not if it's going to give you pain to help someone who accused you of being a Trumpster.

02-Aug-16

joshuaf

Sorry that you are so thin skinned and so obsessively anti-Trump, that you could not see through intended (and probably obvious to all but you) humor. Heck, had you PM'd me (initial post), I would have let the thread die.

Your responses expose who you are to all. That, my virtual friend, is on you.

Let's clear one thing: you have posted, numerous times, accusing many of the CF as Trump supporters for even mentioning a positive aspect of his candidacy. Anyone screening threads that mention Trump can easily see your #nevertrump obsession--and, of late, there has been comments about it. It has become expected that you will post some negative derogatory coment--and many, like me, have just gotten to the point that we pretty much ignore you.

You, sir, have made yourself into your own caricature. Me, no hate or disrespect to you...just often question as to what your actual purpose has become. The primaries are over and the choice (no matter how one feels about it)has been determined: Trump or Hillary (or the self-moral position as well defined by Henry).

You now make many on the CF wonder just why you have to continually post your hatred of Trump. You want people to support Hillary? Stay home/not vote/vote 3rd party? We all have heard your message, but for what purpose? It won't make Trump replaced as the Republican candidate.

Don't bother responding to the above because at this point, I don't care (and I wonder if many do either).

Back on topic and of greater import:

Politics aside, the Community Forum has been a great source of info from many who have expertise in many areas. We have lawyers, educators, scientists, and people who work in varied skills and trades. The CF has always been a good source of information to help people solve problems, recommendations about products and services.

We had a thread back that you mentioned a family trip planned for this fall. I kept that in mind.

I just got back from a week in the area, toured both Teton and Yellowstone, fortunately having free professional guides (Carrie and Jason). I kept you in mind, joshuaf. Knowing that you had planned a family tour and would be doing it "self-guided", I picked up some items that I thought you might find useful.

I also made mention of some things that should be considered to make the most of your trip.

In spite of your tirades, my offer still stands: do you want the material or not?

If you would like what I collected just for you, you have my email and it is absolutely no problem for me to toss them in a USPS box and send them to you.

Assuming (I really hate that word)you don't want to accept my offer, anyone who would like this package to josh, PM me and I will send to you.

If nothing else, I can always round file the package.

02-Aug-16
Jack - Somewhere in the future, I will have worked through my current morass and will be taking the kids out West. I will gladly take any information that you're willing to give.

I spend just about every day sucking donkey balls.

Only my opinion, Josh...and it's the opinion of a donkey ball sucking azz...Jack made an effort to do something nice for you and your family. Yes, in spite of political barbs that may have been exchanged and with a tongue in cheek title to the thread, but a helpful gesture nonetheless. Why not gracefully accept something that could benefit your kids?

Heck, even accept it with a return joking comment.

Gotta get back to tongue slathering some donkey scrotum. You guys have a good morning.

02-Aug-16
Rick...the package is yours if josh declines. I'll send you a PM if I don't hear from josh.

02-Aug-16
It'll be a while before I'd be able to take advantage of it Jack. No rush.

02-Aug-16
Really, josh?

02-Aug-16
Why would anybody be surprised?

02-Aug-16
Josh is speaking like a Conservative, with morals, and principles. Ya, right. Just another phony.

02-Aug-16
"Heck, just trying to be nice."

Why the sharp jabs and name calling then? Did it occur to just offer the helping hand without flipping the middle finger? That wasn't humor. That was what it was meant to be, exactly. A rebuke, sharp jabs with a pointed stick. Then followed a "but I'm going to be above it all and help you out here...." If truly trying to mend fences, why not just offer the help without the show? I'm sure it would have been accepted in kind. In the same spirit.

I can see why it wasn't responded to. If someone started out saying that to me I'd be walking away (at best...) before the second sentence came out. "Just kidding!" is more along the lines of what a person says AFTER they've insulted someone and can see they're pizzed. It's another passive aggressive form of "nothing personal" just before (or after) someone calls you a prick... then are incredulous you took it personally... heck I said "nothing personal".... OK, just kidding...

02-Aug-16
"Why the sharp jabs and name calling then? Did it occur to just offer the helping hand without flipping the middle finger? That wasn't humor. That was what it was meant to be, exactly. A rebuke, sharp jabs with a pointed stick. Then followed a "but I'm going to be above it all and help you out here...." If truly trying to mend fences, why not just offer the help without the show? I'm sure it would have been accepted in kind. In the same spirit."

Exactly what I was getting at, thank you. And it would have been accepted in kind, like the original thread from June in which I recall having a pleasant and informative back and forth with Jack. But I also recall that he wasn't trying to condemn me and make a political point at the same time when talking about something having nothing to do with politics.

02-Aug-16
Yes or no...would you like me to send the package to you?

Offer is still good.

02-Aug-16
mouse,

Here is some very good advice. Discover and I mean quickly the offer of token respect and the one of token insult.

Your own self respect is directly tied to it.

The Rock

03-Aug-16
AM, i would send him down the road.

06-Aug-16
Rick...PM me with your mailing address. It appears that josh doesn't want the information.

10-Aug-16
I like Trump..I have a Trump shirt coming...correction..Bob just took some mail out and there it was. I ordered a men x lg. and hopefully it will shrink a bit..quite a bit..lol. Where was I? Oh yeah, I like Trump and I feel good when he speaks.

I like what he has to say about security and safety. I like what he says about the economy about bringing jobs back to the US.

The most important thing is the SCOTUS nominations. We need conservative people there and I believe Trump is our best choice.

And do you really want to hear that screeching voice for 4 years?

10-Aug-16
Kathi...want the stuff to dream about a trip out there?

If no one claims the package, I'll round file it in a few days.

josh...really? You don't want what I collected for you to help plan your trip?

11-Aug-16
I'd love it Jack. This year I'm going to Clear-water, Fl to visit my step-daughter. Leaving in mid Sept. But 2 places I've always wanted to go are Jackson Hole and somewhere in Montana.

11-Aug-16

11-Aug-16
Missed this Jack. Sorry. Things have been hectic.

If Kathi can use the info, pass it along to her. I won't be able to get the kids out there for a couple of years and I can pester you then.

If no one can put it to good use, I'll be glad to take it and use it like a carrot with the kids.

How is it that the old timers referred to the Sears Roebuck catalogue? Wish Book? Dream Book?

I'd be using the information mainly as a "Dream Book" and don't want to be staking a claim for my future hypothetical trip if someone can put it to use sooner.

PM coming regardless. Thank you.

11-Aug-16
Kathi...I promised the material to Rick first. But I may have some more goodies for you.

Rick...if I get the chance, will be in mail tomorrow. Otherwise, Monday. Headed off to the GLLI (Great Lakes Longbow Invitational) for the weekend. The GLLI is always a great weekend. Put on by the Michigan Longbow Assocaition, will be fun in spite of the predicted (and much needed rain).

My wife, Cherie, is planning on retiring in two years and we have begin looking to relocate out that way. Prices are much more reasonable 30-45 minutes away from Jackson itself. Victor and Driggs in ID and Star Valley in WY.

josh...if you read this, I do hope you and your family have a great trip. Feel free to PM//email me if you want any updates as I do talk to Carrie and Smith regularly.

11-Aug-16
Jack - If Kathi is heading out there in the next year or so, send it to her. She can forward it to me afterward. I don't want to claim something that's going to be shelved while someone else could use it.

Kathi - If Jack has dropped that in the mail already, I can forward it to you as well.

Thank you.

12-Aug-16
The elk are gathering...

Steve...you should get the package Monday.

• Sitka Gear