Shuteye 23-Aug-16
Shuteye 23-Aug-16
DL 23-Aug-16
tonyo6302 23-Aug-16
Shuteye 23-Aug-16
20-Aug-16

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
My wife plays banjo and guitar. I play guitar and Bass. My oldest son plays guitar, my daughter plays guitar and sings, one cousin plays guitar and mandolin in a bluegrass band, another cousin is a good guitar player and knows every bluegrass song from years ago. My youngest son has toured the world several times playing anything with strings. He is teaching my grand daughter to play. I think she has a great teacher.

20-Aug-16
Shuteye,

That picture right here is all of that.

Something tells me your grand daughter is on her way herself. Family interaction. beautiful.

My 7 year old grand daughter plays piano (88) and when she plays I am awestruck. The grace at this age is simply amazing.

I played a little harmonica when I was doing a lb. at Danbury. In a role reversal the white guy (me) played the harmonica while they were taking the black guy to the chair. ;-)

The Rock

20-Aug-16
Rocky, my father played slide guitar and his father, my grandfather, played harmonica. He could really play turkey in the straw. My wife's father played steel guitar in a band and her mother played guitar.

21-Aug-16
Rhody, there is some really good young talent out there. That sounds like a good idea.

22-Aug-16
Great Grandfather played the fiddle in the bars WAY back when.

My grandmother played the banjo and piano in the bars with him. Likely when she was young enough she shouldn't have.

My mom played the piano and sang.

I played the piano and sang.

My son Plays: Piano, drums, bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, harmonica, saxophone.... Basically anything he pics up and plays with for a little while. We have my Great Grandfather's fiddle and my dad had it reconditioned a couple years ago for Christmas and gave it to my son. Within a few minutes he was playing very basic songs.

My son's senior year in high school they went without a band director for a few months. They provided a sub, but she new nothing, she was just there to supervise, My son actually directed the band during that time. He came home one day and said he had learned how to play the trumpet that day. Seems the trumpet players couldn't figure out a part, so my son learned it and taught it to them.

My son fills in on whatever instrument the church worship leader needs when he is home from college. This is a sizable church with some very talented musicians. He just never ceases to amaze me!

My daughter plays the piano and sings.

In all of that, the only lessons ever taken were piano lessons that I took as a kid, my son had piano lessons when he was smaller, learning by note and by ear, and my daughter briefly had piano lessons.

22-Aug-16
My eldest daughter (17) plays the guitar and sings in coffee shops, does show choir, etc. Very talented! Still trying to figure out where she obtained that genetic material! Ha!

22-Aug-16
Cool picture, Lex!

I've been a keyboard player/ vocalist in a cover band for nearly 20 years, so my kids grew up around performances, and are both amazingly talented.

My Son (17) is a great vocalist, and plays jazz sax. Quite the actor as well!

My Daughter (22) was accepted into the Marine Corp as a Musician, she plays Clarinet, Sax, and Flute, and is also an accomplished vocalist.

My Wife...well, she's a little off key...but she is our best Cheerleader ;).

Best of Luck, Jeff

22-Aug-16
I played sax and clarinet many years ago. I could read music but in later years I tried to not let that interfere with my playing. A few years ago my son was visiting and we went to a venue where a jazz musician was playing. He saw my son and asked him if he had a mandolin with him. My son had a custom mandolin with him, of course. He got on stage with the guitar player and they lit into about a ten minute jazz song, switching back and forth. The crowd went crazy. I didn't even know my son played jazz but down South he plays with some jazz bands.

22-Aug-16
"The crowd went crazy. I didn't even know my son played jazz but down South he plays with some jazz bands".

Haha, very cool! Nothing better than watching your kids tear up an audience like that!

Best Wishes, Jeff

22-Aug-16
musical ability is a true gift...and it runs in families for sure.

22-Aug-16
My two oldest brothers were pretty talented. The oldest managed to get a music scholarship to Gonzaga. The next brother could play the guitar and sing real good. Did a lot of the old country stuff and could yodel like Slim Whitman and Eddy Arnold. Did a lot of local gigs for years and was always in demand. Married the 1974 Miss Nevada and still is. She has amazing pipes. Think Striesand but maybe more range. Never did much with it. Oldest sister used to play the lap guitar (steel) and was pretty good. My dad was actually a pretty good singer as well. Always reminded me of a deeper Ray Price.

Myself, I can't carry a tune in a handbag. All the artistic talent went to the older kids, but I'm pretty good and drinkin' beer! ;-)

22-Aug-16

DL's Link
Singers here. Our youngest son went into Barbershop Quartet and Chorus. In 2008 their quartet won the international competition. The chorus he is part of(Westminster Chorus) in southern California has won the international barbershop competition numerous times. They went to Wales one year to compete in a Choir competition of the world. The greatest choirs in Europe were there. Westminster Chorus from socal won the choir of the world competition. This is OCTIMES singing a updated version of Sinatras Come Fly With Me. My son is on the far left and sings tenor. My wife and I both sang in choral groups in college.

22-Aug-16

Shuteye's Link
DL, those guys are good. I love Barbershop Quartets. I sang tenor in several Bluegrass bands. The last one lasted nearly 24 years with no change in personnel. I now have a problem with the fingers on my left hand and can no longer play. I just watch my kid play. The video is old but was one of my favorites. I like the dancers. My son is the one with the beard, playing electric bass in this video.

23-Aug-16
My son actually wanted to go to school for music and do something in the music industry.

We actually have a couple friends in Nashville that work in and around the industry. They all told him to go get a degree in something else to make a living with, THEN he could afford to do what he loved!!!

23-Aug-16
"They all told him to go get a degree in something else to make a living with, THEN he could afford to do what he loved"!!!

Good advice right there!

23-Aug-16
Probably good advice. My son was lucky to meet some of the right people and he makes a good living playing music and producing. Dolly Parton's producer got him some jobs and put in good words for him. That was a help.

23-Aug-16

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Wish I could go, they say this is a great venue. Check out the lineup. My son says it will be fun. They should raise a lot of money for children. I would have to say Hi to Willie.

23-Aug-16

DL's Link
Hunting5555, my son got his degree in music. He had two job offers in two different high Schools. He took the test to get his credentials and didn't pass it. Unfortunately they don't tell you here what you were missing and unlike other teaching departments there are not any study materials to help you prepare. After the second time in taking it he gave up. Now he has a Chic Fil a store, makes a 6 figure income and has traveled to a dozen countries and 2/3 of the states singing barbershop. Gets paid by chapters to come and sing.

Here's one of the Choruses performances

23-Aug-16

My Grandaughter, recently, playing the part of the bear.

23-Aug-16
Tony, I stopped at a Chic Fil a the other day with my cousin. The girls working there said they really liked my Trump button and that is who they were voting for.

Tony, your granddaughter must really be strong, she picked up that big rock with one hand. That was good.

My son has travelled the world several times and gets paid to do it. One really cool thing was the last time he was in Australia, my oldest son was there at the same time on a business deal. He has played in England, Japan, Ireland, Germany, The Netherlands and other places to numerous to menntion. Now that he is older he prefers to do studio work and some close gigs. He will still tour some but he likes to be home with his wife and daughter. He can make a good living in the studio.

• Sitka Gear