Rocky 22-Aug-16
NvaGvUp 22-Aug-16
TD 22-Aug-16
NvaGvUp 22-Aug-16
Shuteye 23-Aug-16
21-Aug-16

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Red meat is targeted by leftists, but here is a nutrition comparison between beef and turkey. Venison would be much like beef on this chart, but even leaner.

21-Aug-16
Everyone would be better off losing the buns and eating a fuller fat meat. :)

Back before epidemic diabetes, Alzheimer's and other metabolic disorders, fat had a prominent place in the healthy human diet.

To me, beef is superior because it can be more safely consumed closer to its natural state -raw- than poultry. Sourcing and cut factors, though.

21-Aug-16
Owl times 2

21-Aug-16
"Back before epidemic diabetes, Alzheimer's and other metabolic disorders, fat had a prominent place in the healthy human diet."

I am not saying that there is any cause/effect here, but at that time, the average person did physical work. the life expectancy was also 10-15 years less.

Recent research has been showing that fat in the diet is NOT the culprit it has been said to be.

21-Aug-16
I agree, HA, about physicality. A note on the average life span, though: higher infant mortality and infectious disease greatly reduced the mean age. Those that made it to adulthood generally led more vigorous, longer and healthier lives than we today.

In other terms, we have greatly addressed mortality factors that suppress lifespan and health. Should we had held onto to more traditional lifestyles and diets, we'd be much better off. IMO

22-Aug-16
workout. every day! long workouts at least an hour! do it until you think you are going to puke or die or both. Hold that puke or die feeling for most of your workout.

you won't need to worry about any of this crap and you can eat what you want.

22-Aug-16
Point taken...

pattybull photo pattybull_zpsp8rjqx6z.jpg

22-Aug-16
Eat a healthy, balanced diet and exercise. This isn't rocket science. Stay away from the carbs in excess if possible. Lots of protein, fats, and whole grains and you'll be good to go with good physical activity.

22-Aug-16
If you think beef is healthy, take a look at elk!

Better for you than even white meat turkey!

22-Aug-16
Yesterday I did 6.2 miles on the trails around home with a 25 lb pack and I RAN much of the last two miles.

This morning at dawn I went out on the trails for a 3.3 miler, then went to the doctor to follow up on antibiotics for a minor dog bite I got. Pulse was 62 after walking to the exam room and my BP was 122/72.

When I got home, I drove :20 up the Mount Rose Hwy and hiked three miles with a 45 lb pack @ 8,800.'

Tomorrow I'll take the dog out for a 1.5 miler at the break of day, then go play golf, walking 6.5 miles on a hilly course while carrying my clubs.

I turn 68 in three weeks.

22-Aug-16
Nutrition matters. Junk food should be a blue moon experience. I agree with SA on exercise. I'm kind of addicted to my daily shirt soakers.

elkmtngear,

Nice pic!

22-Aug-16
My doctor told me I needed to eat more deer meat because of it's health benefits. I'm trying to get him to write me a prescription I can take to the game and fish department. ;)

22-Aug-16
Salagi WINS!!!!

22-Aug-16
Kyle,

How long is that walk when you are playing the course not just walking it? ;-)

The Rock

22-Aug-16
Rocky,

That mileage IS from when I play the course. The two courses are in a big housing development and there is a bit over Two MILES just from greens to tees on both courses.

22-Aug-16
beer is whole grain, right?

22-Aug-16
I eat more than my fair share of chips, but my sugar intake is very low.

I do all of the cooking for us and most our dinners are wild game in one recipe or another, fish once a week, and once or twice a month, chicken and lean pork loin.

23-Aug-16
I never buy beef. My father in law died and that was the end of my free beef. He raised beef for us. Now it is mainly deer, fish, squirrels and rabbits for me. I catch plenty of fish and kill plenty of deer. I have friends that give me elk sometimes. I do get some bacon in the summer for BLTs.

BTW, I have been a diabetic since I was 30 years old and taking four shots of insulin a day. I go to a nurse practitioner once a year to get my prescriptions filled out. My last blood pressure was 128/70. About the same that my eye doctor got when she checked me a while ago. I don't have a doctor. Woman nurse practitioner and woman eye doctor.

• Sitka Gear