HA/KS 23-Aug-16
Salagi 23-Aug-16
HA/KS 23-Aug-16
Rocky 23-Aug-16
22-Aug-16

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

23-Aug-16
It's not only dumb, but sad and depressing.

Welcome to our future...if you can call it that.

23-Aug-16
We had one kid that wouldn't say the pledge in elementary school. He was a Jehovah's Witness.

23-Aug-16
I would investigate where this book /pamphlet originated and start right there swinging the axe.

What a disgrace.

The Rock

23-Aug-16
Proud to say my kid still recites The Pledge in his school...and they don't even cut the God part out! On top of that his teacher, a female, is also the trap league coach. Refreshing to know there's at least one school district in this country not caving into political correctness!

23-Aug-16
This is the outrageous outcome of allowing liberals to set the agenda in our public school system. The federal government should not be involved in education at all. Abolish the U.S. Dept. of Education!

23-Aug-16
sundowner x 2

23-Aug-16
Careful investigating where this came from. If you are expecting a bunch of far left Democrats, you will be disappointed. Florida requires this due to legislation passed by a Republicans and signed by Rick Scott.

I live in a purple area in CO so the schools are fairly left. My kids attend a "Global Learning" school. I watch what they are learning like a hawk but so far its been fine. They recite the pledge.

23-Aug-16
That angers me for a completely different reason. No one should be required to "request" an exclusion from reciting the pledge.

23-Aug-16
Owl x 2

Maybe they are thinking if they get enough forms signed they can do away with it all together?

Are we sure that is an official school form? Or something put out by a 3rd party, some other group? It only says to fill out and return to your child's (generic) school, no mention of state, county, what school, etc.

23-Aug-16
The way I understand it, its a 1940's law that the pledge is part of school. That law also stated that notice needed to be posted, wherever a flag was present, that students/parents could opt out if they wished. It led to notices being posted all over the school since flags appeared in every classroom, etc. The legislature changed it so the notice goes in the student handbooks instead. Its all silly since the correct approach is to have it be voluntary on the part of the students/parents with no need for written notice someone won't be participating as Owl stated.

23-Aug-16
"The federal government should not be involved in education at all. Abolish the U.S. Dept. of Education!"

Yup!

Glunt, each state handles it differently. In some, it is left up to the local districts.

Even in places where the law requires that school start with the pledge, it is often ignored. In my experience, elementary schools generally have the pledge and secondary do not.

I am also cognizant that some people may not want their kids reciting the pledge for their own reasons that have nothing to do with hating America.

BTW, my school year started with the entire employee group of the district citing the Pledge at the beginning or our beginning of year meeting. Great leadership in this district.

23-Aug-16
In Arkansas The pledge is recited over the intercom every morning and each class says it along with the student on the intercom. Students are not required to stand, place their hands over their heart and recite it no excuse needed. I have had very few over the years that did not participate.

After the Pledge, by state law, we have a moment of silence. I see a lot of heads bowed during that time.

23-Aug-16
Salagi, that is how we did the pledge in schools where I was principal. It was pretty neat in the spring and fall when the windows were open. You could hear it a block away.

23-Aug-16
Now we bow our head in shame with our "Leader".

The Rock

• Sitka Gear