HA/KS 31-Aug-16
HA/KS 01-Sep-16
Bou'bound 03-Sep-16
Anony Mouse 03-Sep-16
HA/KS 03-Sep-16
Anony Mouse 03-Sep-16
HA/KS 03-Sep-16
24-Aug-16
Can you imagine the outrage if the races were reversed? The family is burning candles, not houses and businesses, in memory of their dead son and brother. This did not even make the local news for a week!

(CNN)Days after his deaf and speech-impaired brother was shot and killed by a North Carolina state trooper, Sam Harris wonders whether the shooting happened because his sibling's disabilities led to a misunderstanding.

No official has said this was the case. But Harris said his family is pressing for more information about why Daniel Kevin Harris was shot near his Charlotte home Thursday after what police say was a roughly 7-mile vehicle chase. Daniel Harris' relatives told a crowd of dozens gathered for a vigil outside his house Monday night that they want more answers about the 29-year-old's death. Daniel Kevin Harris Daniel Kevin Harris "The police need to become aware of how to communicate with deaf people, what that might look like and how to avoid situations like this from ever happening again," Sam Harris, who also is deaf, told CNN affiliate WSOC through a sign-language interpreter on Monday. Here's what we know so far about the shooting: Police: An 'encounter' happened after driver led trooper on chase Daniel Harris was driving a Volvo on Interstate 485 in the Charlotte area when a trooper tried to pull him over on suspicion of speeding around 6:15 p.m. Thursday, the North Carolina State Highway Patrol said. Harris did not stop, but instead exited I-485 and drove to his Charlotte neighborhood, highway patrol Sgt. Michael Baker said. At the neighborhood, Harris "exited his vehicle, and an encounter took place between the driver and the trooper," leading to the shooting, Baker said. Dozens of people gathered in Charlotte for a vigil for Harris on Tuesday. Dozens of people gathered in Charlotte for a vigil for Harris on Tuesday. Harris died at the scene. Police haven't elaborated on the encounter or revealed what, if anything, the two said or otherwise communicated, or whether the trooper knew Harris was deaf. The trooper was placed on administrative leave after the shooting as is usual, Baker said. Authorities are gathering dashboard-camera and body- camera video relating to the incident from the highway patrol and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, which sent officers to the scene after the shooting, said Audria Bridges, a special agent with North Carolina's State Bureau of Investigation. "Because at least 20 highway patrol officers responded, it is taking some time to get all videos related to (the) incident together," said Bridges, whose agency is investigating the shooting. Baker and Bridges declined to answer CNN's questions about whether Harris was armed. CNN sent emails Tuesday with further questions seeking clarification about the matter, but officials said to protect the integrity of an ongoing investigation, they could not comment. Baker passed along a statement from Secretary Frank L. Perry of the North Carolina Department of Public Safety. "Any loss of life regardless of the circumstances is truly a tragic and sad event for all involved," he said. "Let us all refrain from making assumptions or drawing conclusions prior to the internal and independent reviews. " The Mecklenburg County District Attorney's Office said it will evaluate the case after law enforcement finishes its investigation. Neighbor says he heard gunshot A neighbor, Mark Barringer, told CNN affiliate WBTV he saw the trooper's car give chase shortly before the shooting. "(The trooper's car) was kind of smoking real bad, and then he stopped over here, and then a few minutes later, I heard a gunshot. I saw a body on the street," Barringer said. Another neighbor told WBTV that he'd previously seen Harris use sign language. "I saw him out in the neighborhood signing with his family," Ryan Russell said. "It seemed like a very peaceful family." Harris' relatives, friends and neighbors gathered outside his home for Monday's vigil. Flowers and written messages lined a sidewalk. A page on the crowdfunding site YouCaring.com is raising money for what the family said is Harris' memorial and cremation expenses. Money left over would be used to establish a foundation "to educate and provide law enforcement proper training on how to confront deaf people," a message on the page said. Sam Harris told WSOC through the interpreter that his brother was funny and sociable. "People enjoyed being around him -- just a very unique man," he said. "It's a really nice feeling knowing you've got a community like this that supports you."

24-Aug-16
I hadn't even heard this, so I googled it. Sad IMHO!!

Prayers for the family.

You are spot on. What a difference we would be seeing if the races were reversed.

24-Aug-16

Anony Mouse's Link
A little different perspective...

The “Deaf Man Executed By Cop” Narrative Is a Lie. Here’s the Proof.

Remember: Shaun King of the New York Daily News is one of the pseudo-journalists who has pushed this story, especially on social media. Journalism today does not exist, what we have is agenda oriented media who will present a story before all facts have been made available to the public.

24-Aug-16
Local police DID shoot an autistic guy here last week. He may have panicked and been unable to follow the orders they gave him, fled toward what was his safe house, and ended up shot.

It happens. Police are scared, people are scared, and obama is the #1 culprit. He may own a major percent of this sad death.

26-Aug-16

31-Aug-16
31-Aug-16

HA/KS's Link
Truth still not out in local shooting.

"It has been 11 days since a Hays, Kansas police officer shot and killed Joseph ‘Joey’ Weber, a 36-year-old special needs man. .... The City of Hays refuses even to release audio from the police shooting of Joey Weber."

31-Aug-16
Henry...my link has video from a bystander showing that Weber had been stopped by the police by being rammed and after the officer got out of his car, Weber took off again. Weber was not oblivious as to the police trying to stop him...deaf or not.

Maybe, as one progressive posting indicated he was deaf, dumb and blind.

(Cue up the Who's Tommy);o)

31-Aug-16
Mouse, in a very high percent of police shootings (probably including the one that is the subject of this thread) police are very justified in their actions.

The local one looks like possibly an officer made a terrible mistake. We do not know because information is not available. It is pretty certain that the deceased was no threat to the police, but that in itself does not mean an unjustified shooting.

Sad case here, either way.

01-Sep-16
I recently ran across this from last spring. I found corroboration so it is apparently a true story.

I was hitch-hiking at Donner Summit after a failed backcountry ski trip. Nathan’s CHP cruiser rolled up and I thought, here we go, I’m about to get harassed by the cops.

Nathan rolled down the window and asked if I was all right. I leaned in and told him I was ok, and gave him my story. He asked if I wanted a ride, and I gladly accepted.

In the next 45 minutes we talked, laughed and shared stories. He told me about his wife and kids, his time working in San Jose, and how he loved working up in the mountains away from the city. When he dropped me off, he gave me his personal phone number and told me to call him at 6:30 if I hadn’t gotten a ride – he would pick me up after he got off work and drive me to family in Sacramento. I texted him later in the day to tell him that I had been picked up and thank him. He texted back: All’s well that ends well. Glad you made it.

I have found myself thinking about how I could repay his kindness in the last couple of weeks. About bringing him a 6 pack of beer, or writing the CHP to commend him. I thought about looking him up when I was in the area and offering to buy him dinner. I thought about becoming his friend.

And then I read in the newspaper today that he had been killed on duty this weekend – hit by a car while investigating another accident. And I was, I am, crushed. Buying him a 6 pack or dinner seems so small in scope now. I am sharing this in an effort to broaden that scope. To repay him by inspiring others to be good.

Be a good person. Be kind to strangers. Go out of your way to help them when you can. The time for this is now, not later. Later may never come. The measure of your life is your impact on other people. Make it count.

Nathan Taylor was a good man. He was kind, and giving, and he wanted to help. He challenged my prejudice against the police. He inspired me to be a better man.

You made a difference, Nathan. Thank you.

03-Sep-16
where are the deaf lives matter people on this one.

03-Sep-16
They haven't been heard from...

03-Sep-16
Mouse, you are thinking of the mute lives matter people

03-Sep-16
Henry...I admit you have blindsided me.

03-Sep-16
I have heard that it is hard to see some things coming, but I didn't say anything about it because I feel that it would be tasteless or at least not pass the smell test.

06-Sep-16
being deaf or close to it sucks. I have that found I am almost 100% deaf to the exact frequencies of a hen turkey, cow elk, etc.

When my kids were little I use to make them go with me to be my ears.

• Sitka Gear