Shuteye 24-Aug-16
Anony Mouse 24-Aug-16
Hunting5555 26-Aug-16
Joey Ward 26-Aug-16
Shuteye 26-Aug-16
24-Aug-16
"Hays Fire Department is Now Hiring Volunteer Firefighters! Apply Today."

24-Aug-16
That doesn't make much sense does it? Hiring a volunteer.

24-Aug-16
The fire departments in my area are all volunteer. They have to go through training...not just sign up and pick up a hose. Periodically, there are announcements of openings in the local paper.

There are a couple full time that are on salary...I believe the volunteers are remunerated on basis of runs made.

The "hiring" was probably used meaning "seeking" volunteers.

26-Aug-16
Around here, like mouse said, they have to go through training before they are allowed to actually fight fires. They also have to pass a doctor's physical. If you have blood pressure on the edge of being high, that is a problem because putting on one of those respirators increases your blood pressure.

26-Aug-16
We have a drawing during half time at first home game. Which is tonight. Will be 5 new members of the VFD come Sept 1.

Can't wait around to hire volunteers.

;-)

26-Aug-16
I used to love taking our Fire Brigade to Delaware's fire school. Crawling through the smoke house where it is so dark you can't see anything and hearing your alarm going off that you are running out of air. Ahhhh, the memories. Also such fun as moving in on a propane fire with full spray on the nozzle to get close enough to shut the gas off. Naturally it would be on a 100 degree day and wearing full gear. If you don't have the nozzle set right you felt like you were roasting. We had people coming from all over the USA to Delaware Fire School, one of the very best.

• Sitka Gear