Bluetick 27-Sep-16
NvaGvUp 27-Sep-16
Jim Moore 27-Sep-16
MT in MO 27-Sep-16
shawnm 28-Sep-16
one-eye 28-Sep-16
Nomad @ work 28-Sep-16
25-Sep-16
Hi my name is Shawn and I have some questions hopefully someone can answer. I have been a hunter my whole life but this year is my first being the shooter. I got my first deer a couple days after opening day this year. She was a beautiful 120lb doe.. I shot her a little back and did get her lung but unfortunately git the gut to.. Being my first deer to gut I did not know the importance of having a really nice knife. I had a Winchester with a gut hook and what a nightmare. She I started to gut her the knife was so dull I accidentally punctured the bladder. And from the gut shot it was a shitty mess.. Literally. I strongly believe in if your a hunter and want to take an animals life you had better eat it.. I paid 90 to have her butchered. Tonight I had the tenderloin and when I cut into them I swear I could smell the contamination. I dont eat much meat at all but I would love to figure out a way to eat the meat. I think the gutting smelling soo bad affected me into thinking the meat wad bad. Plz help with your opinion and venison recipes..

25-Sep-16
shawnm,

...My name is Rocky. Until further notice I think that is as far as your going to get from me.

The Rock

26-Sep-16
Three questions:

1. What kind of tip was on the end of your arrow?

2. How many grains was it?

3. Where on the deer's anatomical geography did you start field dressing it?

26-Sep-16
its part of the learning experience

26-Sep-16
Start by cutting around the perimeter of the a$$hole then tie it off to keep whatever's in the intestine from oozing out. Carefully gut the interior stomach cavity lining with a very SHARP scalpel or filleting knife. You can get all the innards off intact into a trash bag for transport. You can select whatever you want to keep later i.e. heart, liver, lung (finely diced, simmered in vinegar...season to taste ... yummy). Hang the carcass from a tree for a few hours to drain whatever leftover fluid is still on the meat. Dismember for easy transport. Of course, all of this after the game has been inspected and weighed by the Games Police.

26-Sep-16

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
I shot an Easton carbon express 400 8.4 gpi.. The Broadhead was a NAP Redneck 100 grain. I started from the bottom right around her teats. Sorry I posted on the wrong forum and I appreciate you guys not being asses and actually helping me.. Thank you

26-Sep-16
Good for you shawnm.

27-Sep-16
"I appreciate you guys not being asses"

Master of the understatement...8^)

Nice eating there Shawn. Now go get another one!

27-Sep-16
If you get stomach/fecal matter on the tenderloins you might as well throw them away. Tenderloins are inherently susceptible to spoilage due to where they are positioned, plus they are prone to dry out quickly. Over the years I have had more gamey tenderloins than not. The rest of your meat, backstraps, hindquarters, shoulders, etc should be fine. I would say to make sure you trim off any part of the hindquarter near the pelvis that may have been touched by the gut matter.

27-Sep-16
Do you need to gut it???

Haven't gutted an animal in many years. Look up gutless methods on you tube. Debone, pack out only the meat, leave the rest to nature. T-loins can be accessed pretty easy as well. No need to mess with any of it.

Good sharp knives are a must... any way you slice it.

27-Sep-16
Who the heck guts their critters anymore? I don't unless I can get my truck to it (or get it to my truck) and get it out whole.

In all other cases, it's the 'gutless method' every time!

27-Sep-16
Kyle - Many of the states East of the Mississippi require deer to remain whole/field dressed until registered.

WI has just now implemented a telecheck system to register by phone or computer and you can now quarter deer. Two years ago, killing a deer better than a mile from the road meant a long drag and then a thirty mile or so, round trip drive to physically register my deer.

I much prefer Western state's regulations.

I assume CT's laws are similar, but that's an assumption on my part.

27-Sep-16
Your arrow is ok. You just started in the wrong place to dress it out. Carry some twine or rubber bands with you, too. Oh, and a tarp.

27-Sep-16
I gutted many a critter before I discovered the gutless method. Never needed rubber bands or twine to keep it all clean.

27-Sep-16
I did that gutless method for the first time on a cow elk I got with a muzzleloader last week. Had to pretty much do it that way because, as usual, I was hunting by myself and elk, even cows, are pretty big. Had to make it easy to load. Took the quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, some neck (bullet went up through the shoulder and blew up the neck for the most part. Carved up as much rib meat as I could.

Do remember that most states I know of require proof of sex fi you have a gender specific tag.

27-Sep-16
Maybe this young hunter just needs a little help instead of a bunch of old farts jumping on him and telling him how great they are and what they have done and what they don't need...sheesh...Give him a break.

He came on here all excited, had a problem and was asking for help...What does he get?

Get off my lawn!!!

28-Sep-16
Thanks mt in mo.. Most have been pretty helpful but ya a couple of the comments I could of done without. It's fine though. Some think that because they know more there "better than" others.. I'm here simply to get some questions answered and share my hunt. If you read in my other posts on the ct forum I dont have anyone to hunt with or get advice from. But there have been many great opinions and comments and I do appreciate those.. I was raised if you dont have anything nice to say don't say it at all. I dont need to be told what I'm doing wrong, I already know that. I'm here for positive feed back and good ideas. Thanks everyone who has been helpful because it has helped me a lot:)

28-Sep-16
I use surgical gloves when I field dress, and when done right, I can gut a deer with no blood above the wrists. That includes reaching up inside to pull out the trachea. Too many people make a big mess of it all. This takes practice, but done right it only takes a couple minutes to gut it.

I always carry at least a gallon of water with me in the Jeep or truck, so that if I do gut-shoot one I can rinse it out right away. Keeping the deer clean and cooling it down as fast as possible are two of the keys to keeping meat from tasting gamey.

We were all new to this at some point, and had to learn from someone. Congrats on your doe.

28-Sep-16
Another trick I use is to wash out the cavity as soon as possible with white vinegar. It kills bacteria.

• Sitka Gear