MNRazorhead 08-Oct-16
MNRazorhead 13-Oct-16
MNRazorhead 14-Oct-16
MNRazorhead 14-Oct-16
cjgregory 17-Oct-16
SteveD 18-Oct-16
Mike B 19-Oct-16
04-Oct-16
You know we keep hearing about this and it got me to wondering. We have a guy at work that can't do his on call because he supposedly has PTSD, but for 12 years never had a problem. I truly believe that some vets are 1 scamming the system or 2 being told they have it buy Gov. doctors. I can understand the guys and gals that have been in combat and are having a hard time dealing with it. But the guys that have never seen combat clamming it bothers me. What's your thoughts ?

04-Oct-16
Funny you should ask.

Just last week I was reading an article that discussed PTSD as being overdiagnosed by a LOT.

04-Oct-16
I don't think being in combat should be any kind of litmus test for PTSD. I worked on a job building grain bins for a while, and we also worked on some with grain in them. I saw a man crushed to death while I was in one, and now cannot take being in an enclosed structure like that.

I also think it should be different somehow for those drafted, and those who volunteered. Not that those who volunteered should get any less care, but those who were drafted had no choice. They may have known that they weren't cut out to witness, or be a part of some of the things they had to do, but it didn't matter.

04-Oct-16
For every easy path available, you will always have some scamming to take advantage of it. Still, that doesn't negate the reality of it. It only speaks to a common ill.

Suicide rates among vets is enough to convince me that there most certainly is a real problem. I have no idea if we are just mentally weak in this day and age, if modern warfare is different, or what. But clearly there are too many vets with extreme mental anguish - enough so to find living a worse option than death.

04-Oct-16
Because every personality needs a label to justify the liberal agenda.

04-Oct-16
You can get PTSD from non combat experiences. The effects vary with each individual.

That said, I know a few people who claimed to be affected by PTSD and I'm pretty sure they are gaming the system.

04-Oct-16
I know some who struggle with this for real and they are among the toughest people you could ever hope to meet.

http://www.brianbillfoundation.org/about-us/

04-Oct-16
"People who are at effect of that trauma are stuck in their past and are unable to confront the future. "

Rhody, I got to disagree with you.

My Step Son was with 2nd Recon, and fought the battle of Fallujah.

Years later, after he got out, we were just sighting in rifles one day, when he started talking about his demons.

I just sat on my tailgate for hours, crying like a little child, while he recounted the horror he experienced in Iraq.

Shortly thereafter, my Daughter In Law, threw his arse in the car, and drove him to the VA Hospital in Richmond.

He was thus diagnosed with PTSD, years after he was honorable discharged.

He, in no way is stuck in his past. However, there are triggers for those who suffer "shell shock".

Your statement, in my Sons case, is totally false, and very offensive to me.

My Step Daughter, was an Air Assault, and Trauma Surgery Qualified Army Nurse, and helped set up the first US Army Hospital in Baghdad. She, too, has her demons, especially when she followed her Christian upbringing in trying to save terrorists lives in the ER while the black ops guys were telling her to let them die. Her motto, ya bring 'em to the ER, they get the same chance as everyone else.

Anyway, she, too, is not stuck in the past, Your statement in my Daughters case is very offensive to me.

My Son-In-Law, still on USMC Active Duty, while training Afgans, was blown off the side of a mountain, and suffered Tramautic Brain Injury.

He told me he actually had to kill people he had trained, because what side the Afgan would fight on, could change from day to day.

After his return home, and while at Lowes with my Daughter ( Step Daughter ), he started clearing isles in the garden section. When my Daughter saw his actions in "clearing the isles" of bad guys, she immediately loaded his arse up in the car, and drove him to the VA Hospital in Richmond, where he was successfully treated.

My Son In Law does not live in the past, and has since earned his PhD at William and Mary.

Your statement, in my Son-In-Laws case, is very offensive to me.

Since my Son, Daughter, and Son-In-Law, have seen combat, I think I will give them the benefit of the doubt, in regards to their PTSD.

My Brother in Law, was with the US Army 3rd I.D., but by now I feel I am long winded, and will not tell any more experiences from my Kin.

Having never served in Combat, I have absolutely no clue what demons Combat Veterans feel, but am willing to listen, and show compassion, and empathy.

Sincerely,

Tony

CWO2 USMC Retired

( now fours years free of no Kin in a Combat Zone )

04-Oct-16
I am crying right now, thinking of the stuff my Son told me that fall day at the rifle range . . . . . .

04-Oct-16
Tony - Sorry to hear about your son in law. I hope he is ok. PTSD is very real and we are just beginning to understand why two people may be exposed to the same event and one ends up with PTSD and the other seems to be unaffected. Personalized medicine will be more common later in our lifetimes. There are now DNA tests available that check how well people are able to metabolize different medications. One gene is related to a serotonin transporter protein (SLC6A4), which is responsible for serotonin reuptake (recycling). Some people process this brain chemical poorly and others do so very rapidly. The DNA test is done to help determine what patients might or might not respond to medications called SSRIs. People with a slower response have a genetic potential to have higher rates of PTSD among other things. Of course, it is more complex than that, and there are always people who are going to try and game any system (prob a gene for that too, lol), but there is definitely a reason why some people tend to suffer more than others. From a therapy standpoint, he may want to google EMDR and find a practitioner. It is a desensitization therapy used by some therapists that has been shown to work very well with PTSD. Thanks to you and your family for your service! Semper fi!

Andy

04-Oct-16
I appreciate it, Andy, even though I have no uderstanding of DNA and Genetics.

My Kin are alright, and the VA Hospital in Richmond has done OK by them.

Who would have thought that they all would have been front line combat. Seems like I was the only "in the rear with the gear" veteran.

04-Oct-16

tonyo6302's embedded Photo
tonyo6302's embedded Photo
Ya just got to love the irony of this Time Life Photo.

My Daughter ( Step Daughter ), a Christian Lady, Thanksgiving, 2003, U.S. Army Hospital Baghdad, treating a Muslim Terrorist.

Ya just can't make this stuff up........

..... notice the "Happy Thanksgiving" sign on the wall .......

LOL !

04-Oct-16
May God bless you son and daughter Tonyo.

I have a couple friends who suffer, I never knew it until they spoke bout it. It's real.

05-Oct-16
It is cool, Rhody.

I misunderstood you. Please accept my apologies.

05-Oct-16
I'm sure PTSD is real, but we didn't hear much about it being a problem after WWII. I wonder why?

05-Oct-16

Amoebus's Link
sundowner - "I'm sure PTSD is real, but we didn't hear much about it being a problem after WWII"

Part of the reason is the name didn't exist yet, but a lot of it was that males didn't reveal perceived "weakness" as much then (my theory).

From the linked website...

"PTSD as a condition has probably been in existence since humanity has endured traumatic events. The disorder has only been recognized formally as a diagnosis since 1980. During the American Civil War PTSD was referred to as, 'Soldier's Heart,' in combat veterans. During World War I it was referred to as, 'Combat Fatigue.' By the time World War II occurred, the disorder was being referred to as a, 'gross stress reaction.' The Vietnam War found PTSD being called, 'Post-Vietnam Syndrome.' Other names for PTSD include, 'Battle Fatigue,' and , 'Shell Shock.'"

I also wonder if there isn't a different kind of PTSD from these last couple of wars than in the past? In WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam (and others), you were under extreme stress/danger, but you always knew who your enemy was (and mostly where they were).

In both Iraq and Afghanistan, there is no downtime. The soldiers would always be on edge for an IED, sniper, suicide bombers or one of their trained soldiers turning on them. It (for the most part) isn't as intense as the battles from the above wars, but the constant stress of the unknown must take its toll.

One of my neighbors came back from Iraq - never having shot his gun, but still a complete wreck. His job was to drive the road from green zone to airport and he was ALWAYS on alert looking for suspicious cars/trucks and IEDs. Once back here, he couldn't turn it off - his dad eventually had to come get him and get him institutional help.

05-Oct-16
Amoebus,

I am sure you are right.

Most people, me included, cannot imagine the stress of driving down a road in a war zone, never knowing when your vehicle will be hit with an RPG or roadside IED.

05-Oct-16
can you get PTSD from missing a big buck?

05-Oct-16
If you get HBO on demand, then watch "HBO special: WARTORN 1861-2010.

Documents PTSD back to the Civil War, with Civil War Vets committing suicide.

I watched it, it is a real eye opener.

05-Oct-16
Amoebus is right. PTSD was always there, it just wasn't called PTSD then, or was looked down upon as a weakness.

My Dad was an officer in a paratrooper company with the 11th Airborne in the Pacific during WWII and participated in Okinawa, Philippines and was training to be in the first wave of gliders if we had invaded the Japanese mainland. He suffered his entire remaining life from PTSD, and used alcohol as self-medication. The little he spoke of his combat experiences to me, and I believe I was the only one he ever spoke anything of it to, was enough to raise the hair on the back of my neck. The story I remember most vividly was about his best friend getting his head blown off right next to him by a Japanese sniper. He also talked about how many of the vets that came home with him being afflicted, but you didn't talk about it back then and it was essentially swept under the rug and you were on your own.

The earlier wars like WWII were different than today, but I think they just had a different version of hell, not anything that was less stressful than today. He talked about being out in the jungle and never getting a moment where they weren't afraid of getting killed. Vietnam was probably worse. Also, the deployments were measured in years. He was gone from 43 to late 46.

I agree with ar troy that combat vets are not the only ones who suffer. Think about plane crash survivors, etc. God bless those who suffer from it. It isn't anything you would wish on your worst enemy.

05-Oct-16
My late father was in WWII. He saw the results of an ammo dump explosion, describing boots with just feet in them, for example. He had nightmares for more than 2 years after returning from the war. Like MNRazorhead's father, he didn't talk much about what he saw.

His family at the time saw it, too.

05-Oct-16
PTSD is very real. The average is 22 Vets commit suicide every day because of it. I am sure that some people are claiming it without having it, but there are many who have it and either don't get diagnosed because they are trying to tough it out, or are afraid of being labeled and targeted by the government at a later time.

Back in WWII there wasn't a diagnosis for PTSD and treatment for it. I think a lot of returning vets from that era just drank away the demons.

PTSD can be triggered by any traumatic experiences. Seeing a guy get crushed in a grain bin can do it as easily as being in a firefight or an IED attack.

The frequency of someone getting crushed in the civilian world are pretty small compared to battles, bombs and traumatic experiences to returning soldiers though. So even though both can get PTSD, soldiers are at a greater risk.

I know quite a few guys who have spent years in combat zones and several of them face those demons every day. God bless them and I pray that God will heal them and give them strength.

05-Oct-16
I looked up suicide rates among vets in prior decades. From what I saw, WWII didn't incur the rates that have been experienced as of late. Something is different. I just doubt that 'making it up' (by the left, or by freeloaders) is the reason that vets are killing themselves at high rates. Something truly is wrong.

Military Times article July 2016

And while it affects military more than civilians, there also is clearly something wrong among the civilian population as it pertains to suicide. See the above link.

"Researchers found that the risk of suicide for veterans is 21 percent higher when compared to civilian adults. From 2001 to 2014, as the civilian suicide rate rose about 23.3 percent, the rate of suicide among veterans jumped more than 32 percent.

"The problem is particularly worrisome among female veterans, who saw their suicide rates rise more than 85 percent over that time, compared to about 40 percent for civilian women.

"And roughly 65 percent of all veteran suicides in 2014 were for individuals 50 years or older, many of whom spent little or no time fighting in the most recent wars."

06-Oct-16
spike

do you really thing growing up on farms prepared people for being blown up on a beach?

06-Oct-16
Reported. Expectations of toughness. Character. Current support system. Upbringing. etc....

06-Oct-16
I was told I experienced a moderate form of PTSD one time. Laid my Harley down on a mountain road in a corner. It went with my wife down an extremely steep slope. Lost the bike and the wife and I got skinned up pretty good, but no major damage.

A couple of months after that, when I was thinking of getting another bike, I would see, just as plain as day, a microsecond version of that slide, or a car crossing the center line, or hitting a deer. Things that myself and friends have done. I would physically "jerk" sometimes.

I will still get them every once in a great while, but they did seem to wan a bit after I had picked up riding the bikes for a year or so. I know people that have been in wrecks that know exactly what I am talking about.

I can only imagine what a combat vet endures. Those of you who engaged, I admire and salute.

07-Oct-16
My dad would never talk about his WWII experiences, even when I was in the Vietnam era USMC. Only after his death did I come across his papers which contained much of his military experiences in the South Pacific. Dad was an officer in the Army Corps of Engineers and I found his orders were to survey and clear beaches before military landings. His only comment about WWII was that if there had not been the atomic bomb, I would never been born. He was involved in the planning of the actual invasion of the Japanese mainland.

I ran across this this morning and am only getting around to post it now:

New Book Details Jimmy Stewart’s Anguish Over Losing 130 Men in One Bombing Mission Over Germany

Once upon a time in America, men were men and Hollywood actors and actresses were true patriots.

Via Daily Mail:

Jimmy Stewart suffered such extreme PTSD after being a fighter pilot (the author of the article got this wrong. Stewart was a bomber pilot) in World War II that he acted out his mental distress during ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’.

Stewart played George Bailey in the classic movie and channeled his anger and guilt into the scenes where he rages at his family.

Stewart was haunted by ‘a thousand black memories’ from his time as an Air Force commanding officer that he took with him back to Hollywood after the war.

Pilots who flew with him said that became ‘Flak Happy’ during World War II, a term to describe what is now known as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD.

Stewart wrestled with the guilt of killing civilians in bomb raids over France and Germany including one instance where they destroyed the wrong city by mistake.

Stewart felt responsible for the death of his men and especially one bloodbath where he lost 13 planes containing 130 men who he knew well. Stewart’s anguish is laid bare for the first time in author Robert Matzen’s Mission: Jimmy Stewart and the fight for Europe, published by Paladin Communications.

Stewart never spoke about it, even to other veterans, and bottled up his emotions that came out in the acting parts he chose when he returned to Hollywood.

He acted it out during It’s a Wonderful Life, where character George Bailey unravels in front of his family – the emotional core of the film after a lifetime of setbacks, including being unable to go to war while his brother becomes a decorated hero.

Films like Shenandoah and Winchester 73 allowed Stewart to explore his dark side which was never there before he went to war.

Matzen writes that Stewart’s decision to join the military was less surprising than his decision to become an actor; his grandfather fought in the Civil War and more distant relatives fought in the Revolutionary War.

The book, Mission: Jimmy Stewart and the Fight for Europe, will be released on October 24.

Keep reading…

08-Oct-16

MNRazorhead's Link
Mouse, My dad said almost the same thing. One time when I was home visiting from college, we were sitting at his kitchen table, talking and drinking coffee like we had uncounted times before and after and I asked him what place that he had been had scared him the most. He didn't even hesitate when he said that he was most scared of going into Japan. He said he was sure that he and most of his men would not come back from that one. So I guess we both owe our dad's return to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Actually, we have the battle of Okinawa, in a large part, to point to for them coming home. Okinawa was the last stepping stone to invading Japan and a massive invasion, in some ways larger than D-Day (see link below) but it's brutality and absolute fanaticism by the Japanese at Okinawa was later cited by President Truman as one of the major reasons he approved the atomic bombings rather than just go ahead with the mainland invasion, which had already been planned. 150,000 Okinawan civilians, 1/3 of the entire island population were killed (and 1/3 to 1/2 of the survivors were wounded), over 100,000 Japanese solders and 13,000+ American soldiers and marines, totaling over 260,000 people were killed in the invasion. It truly was a bloodbath and Truman kenw the mainland invasion would be many times worse.

Also, the largest number of combat fatigue cases ever recorded would occur on Okinawa.

However, Okinawa has been largely forgotten in WWII history owing to so many other huge historical events happening around that time that eclipsed it. The link below tells it better than I can.

13-Oct-16
Tony and Jim, very sorry to hear about your loved ones, and so glad your son was able to get treatment. I wish it would have been available to my dad back then as his life would have been much better in so many ways. One treatment that hasn't been mentioned that is very effective is a service dog. My wife and I have trained service dogs for an organization called Helping Paws and they have started training PTSD service dogs recently, due to the huge demand for them from the guys coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan. We have met and talked to a number of soldiers and they have essentially said that the dogs have given them a somewhat normal life back. The dogs allow them to get back out in society and interact with people and can identify when they are slipping back into a bad place and help them cope and recover from it. Dogs are amazing.

Forgot to add above that all that happened on Okinawa was on a small island roughly 8 miles wide and about 60 miles long and that there were an estimated additional 20-25,000 Japanese soldiers incinerated and entombed in caves that were never counted. That works out to almost a casualty for every square acre of the island. Kind of puts it in perspective. Barely the size of a beachhead elsewhere.

13-Oct-16
My Dad is an 87 year old Korean War vet. Only recently have we sat down and really talked about it in depth. I'm very thankful to have had the opportunity. I also have some pretty amazing and cool pictures in an album my mom put together in the 50's that he sent and brought home from the war. He told me they all just decided they should look at themselves as if they were each already dead on the ship going over Korea. He said it was a good surprise when he went home. He's seen a lot of dead and POW Chinese I can tell you that......

I have never seen or noticed a time when it seemed like the war affected him in any way......he just totally forgot about it seemed.

14-Oct-16
Randy, that is great that you can discuss it with your Dad. I've read extensively about WWII ever since I was a kid, probably due to the fact that I always wanted to know what he did, but never got an answer. It was only when he was older, that he opened up a little, similar to your father. Must be the mellowing with age thing.

What N8ture Boy said above may apply to your Dad, or he may have been able to compartmentalize those experiences. Men are inherently much more able to do this than women. Whatever the reason, very glad for your Dad and hope you two have many conversations to come.

Is anyone going to see the movie "Hacksaw Ridge" that is coming out in Nov? It is a true story about an army medic that won the Medal of Honor for single-handedly carrying 75 wounded soldiers and marines to safety at Hacksaw Ridge in the Battle of Okinawa. I have never heard of another movie ever being made about Okinawa.

14-Oct-16

MNRazorhead's Link
Just saw the trailer.

17-Oct-16
Of all the wars, the rate of suicide is minimal. Alcoholism has remained approximately the same for the vets of all wars. In earlier wars, they were wars of attrition. Carnage of unspeakable things. An M1 Garand, 03 springfield, ect. used a 30-06 round. Basically if you're hit in the head most of your head was gone. The 8mm mouser out of a german MG-42 shot so fast that it would hit you two to three times before your body hit the ground. Literally shooting you in half in some cases. There was no penicillin and they used sulfur to help prevent infection. Medically they could not rebuild you if your bones were shattered. They just hacked your limbs off.

Now fast forward to present day. Because we use psychotropic medicines, with known side effects that cause thoughts of suicide and can deepen levels of life damaging depression...we have delivered a criminal and negligent service to VETS. I am a vet. A Marine grunt as a matter of fact. Some always have more trouble than others even though their experiences are almost identical. PTSD should be happening to the parents of those KIA. After all, they suffer the worst loss. I think its a stupid term, made up for the purpose of delivering high end, very expensive drugs.

18-Oct-16
PTSD is real no doubt about ,that being said its being way over diagnosed. There are a big percentage that are scamming off it,taking away the resources from those who truly need them. I saw this personally with my old job.

As far as suicides related to this, I believe there was a recent article that mentioned that at least half the suicides have never served in a combat zone. A lot of the suicides can be caused by use and abuse of "psych" meds. Its a very slippery slope that were treading.Unfortunately in my experience many vets that are seeking treatment are either ignorant to the side effects of the meds or actually want to be on them for many various reasons. Not good, not good at all.

19-Oct-16
Mr. Gregory: " I think its a stupid term, made up for the purpose of delivering high end, very expensive drugs. "

First, I certainly respect your service. I do disagree with you on your conclusion, as PTSD is most certainly a very real condition. I've lived with it for 16 years, and I assure you that drugs (of any kind) had nothing to do with the cause of it.

It's not simply a physical issue, as you might think would come from those horrors you described from wars of the past. The human mind can handle all kinds of things so long as it's prepared for it, but there is a point where many individuals can not handle the situation it is presented..either they are unprepared for it, or it exceeds their emotional capacity to deal with.

In short, it's like somebody takes your brain out, fubar's it, then stuffs it back in your skull. You realize a year or two down the road that, although you are living what appears to be a normal life, something is definitely not right with how you deal with stressful situations.

I've always been one of those.."Put a band-aid on it and get back to work" types, but when I realized I was not reacting to situations properly I hunted up a good counselor and got some help. It took 3 years before I started to feel like myself again, and over time I've learned to manage it well. There are some social situations I avoid like the plague, however. No drugs of any kind were suggested or prescribed, and in fact the counselor was dead-set against it, telling me it was an issue that first had to be understood, and then managed. In short, once you know your enemy it's a lot easier to avoid them.

To sum it up, yes Sir..PTSD is a very real thing, and those actually living with it (not just someone lying to get drugs) need to get it dealt with if they ever hope to live a normal life.

• Sitka Gear