Amoebus 12-Oct-16
Anony Mouse 12-Oct-16
Jim Moore 12-Oct-16
Anony Mouse 13-Oct-16
Anony Mouse 15-Oct-16
Anony Mouse 16-Oct-16
Bill in SD 18-Oct-16
10-Oct-16
Said I'd never give up my XP til' one of us croaked. My old desktop is done for.

I put a new power supply in it about a year ago, but now the motherboard is shot, and even though I can get a replacement for $75 I plan to just get a new computer.

Will be buying off-the-shelf, and looking for some suggestions. My budget is about $550. Not a fan of HP, but have looked at a couple Dell's and a lower level brand. They are running Windows 10, and that's fine as it's far past time for me to upgrade.

My computer needs are very basic, and the #1 issue for me is reliability. I spend time on the Internet, of course, but I'm not a game player (aside from Spider solitaire). I do some image processing using Adobe Lightroom (no Photoshop), and that's about it. Nothing special at all needed, but I'm told I should get plenty of RAM for the image processing.

Had 3 hard drives in the old unit, and I'm told by people at Best that I can transfer those files using an external drive frame (about $25).

Open to suggestions!

11-Oct-16
Jack is probably the most knowledgeable on the CF about computers. I have a desktop that was built so I have no idea what's in it. I also have a HP laptop that runs Vista..still going strong..sorta.

11-Oct-16
if you are staying with desktop, look at the all in one types, basically a monitor keyboard and mouse, no 'tower'

well under 550, the cost will come later with software...

11-Oct-16
I have used ASUS brand computers for the last 5-6 years. That includes probably 4 laptops and 5-6 towers. I used to use Dell a lot, but had several people recommend ASUS and I've been pleased with them, as much as one can be pleased with a computer I suppose. I did get a MS Surface Pro for my wife, though, and it has worked fine for as small as it is. I have purchased ASUS laptops from newegg.com, but lately I have just gone to Best Buy to see what they have.

11-Oct-16
Seriously, STAY AWAY FROM BEST BUY!! They are notorious for not standing behind their products. Even if it is only a day old!!!!

Caution on Windows 10. I was having trouble with my office internet being very slow lately. I have a 3 mg internet connection which has always been plenty of band width. The provider looked at the traffic and it was constant Windows 10 traffic from my laptop. Mind you, during this time, the only thing running on my laptop was MS Outlook. The tech come out to verify my connection just to make sure. He said they are having tons of problems like this and it all revolves around Windows 10. Only way to stop it is to tell Windows that you have a METERED internet connection. Which means you will have to update Windows manually.

As far as computers go, I really don't have a clue anymore. I build my desktops for work. With laptops, I stick with Lenovo ThinkPads which used to be IBM. They are hands down the best, most reliable laptop on the market. They are a little more expensive, but watch for deals and eventually you will find a good deal on one.

11-Oct-16
I have purchased ASUS twice and I have been happy.

12-Oct-16
Thanks to all for the great input. Got more research to do yet, but leaning towards Dell and Asus.

itshot: Already have a 27" HD monitor

H555- noted..I'll avoid Best (never liked the place anyway..lol)

12-Oct-16
Unless you have a special need for a desktop, an all-in-one is a better idea. IMHO, a lap top is the best way to go even if you rarely use it as such.

A SSD is great for speed in loading the OS at start, but you may want to look at tweaking it for better performance and longevity if you use hibernate or sleep functions. Get as much RAM as possible... minimum of 4G. Try to see/play with before you purchase. Screen and keyboards vary. I have a laptop that has been great, but rarely used because the Spacebar needs a firm touch which slows work and causes edits. Examine your actual needs...you can get a great deal with Chromebooks and an external hard drive for extra storage/backup in you price range (with a good deal,you could get 2!!!). I replaced my wife's dying notebook with one and she has been quite happy.

I have had good experience with Toshiba,HP, ASUS (they made Nexus tablets, too). Read reviews to see if a specific model has same problems. Even the best manufacturers produce a lemon. There are still some Win7 computers available. When it comes to Win10, go through all of the settings and turn off all the crap you do not want or does things that draws on processor in the background. Microsoft wants to collect all sorts of data on what and how you use your computer to make "a better experience". No one has yet touched on touch screens ;0) Useful on tablets/phones, I see little use on a laptop or desktop for the most part. On a glossy screen, finger prints must be deal with. At this time, more and more are being Incorporated, but still with a premium price.

Screen size...again that is best determined by preference. You can attach your extra monitor to notebook and have a separate workspace which is handy. Wireless a must. Bluetooth good to have to use with phone.

Processor...get the best in your price range.

One other thing about Chromebooks is that they run under the Google chrome browser and now run many of the same apps run on Android phones. Much is cloud based, so if you are away from your home network, you can access you cloud data. Even so, you do not need the internet to function.

Feel free to PM me

12-Oct-16
Jack, thanks for your input..much appreciated.

Reason I want a desktop is that I spend 80% of my waking hours out here at the desk in my shop. It's heated, and I also have a 27" Sharp HDTV/Monitor that's hooked up to DirectTV and also my computer...push a button and the monitor switches from TV to computer. All my cabling is already routed (mounted) so that it fits neatly under the desk. For me, it's the best of both worlds. No need for a laptop, as I don't get out much any more except to do some lite prospecting or photography in the local area. The disease I live with keeps me parked most of the time. Try and get up and do too much and there is a price to pay...it sucks, but I can live with it. This why a desktop is most appropriate for my needs.

l already have a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard that I like, so no need to change that.

Much prefer to get Windows 7, as Win. 10 would require a big learning curve, and as you said it's full of all kinds of junk that reports back to people who have no business knowing my business. That chaps my ass most of all.

There's a local outfit (Hard Drives Northwest) that I've had good luck with in the past, so gonna give them a call and see what they offer. As said, I really don't do much aside from Internet, processing some images and playing solitaire. Guess I'm boring as hell..lol

12-Oct-16
Mike - not to dissuade you if the desktop is what you are set on, but all the peripherals will work with a laptop as well as a desktop. Just have to have either the right ports or wireless capabilities.

I run my work laptop here at home using my own wireless mouse and keyboard. There isn't any reason I could not use a separate monitor either if I wanted to.

It can fulfil the same purpose as the desktop clunky case in a smaller package AND give you the ability to take it with you if that is part of your future plans.

The downside is the space in the laptops doesn't easily allow expansion like a desktop will.

As far as brands, that is only useful to me if there is some special warranty/service associated with it. Just like autos, the parts inside are made elsewhere so you just need to ensure those are quality.

12-Oct-16
Speaking of computers and programs, it appears that the changes to the bowsite don't force us to use 2 line-feeds to get a separate paragraph. Ignore after this because I am testing. One line-feed.

Two line-feeds.

12-Oct-16
Mike...as mentioned, you do not need to give up your setup as one can purchase a docking station that you connect your peripherals that need wired connection (your legacy stuff)and laptop.

If you end up with a Win 10 machine, you can still purchase Win 7 (eBay/Amazon), wipe Win 10 and install Win 7. If you want to be daring, you might want to try a Linux distribution (you can run from a USB/DVD(slower) and not actually install) that can give you a good Windows experience without Windows. I have been using Mint Linux for years. Nice thing with setting up a Linux distro to look and work like Win 7 is that you can continue to get support/updates after Microsoft discontinues support for Win 7.

If you have a local that will build a box to your specifics, you can get a more custom computer...but from what you describe, you probably do not need a really sophisticated machine. Compare prices to a production made computer.

As far as your Direct TV, when I had Dish, I could connect wirelessly. At present my laptop can access 2 wireless printers, my TV through my Rokus, and my NAS (network attached drive) attached to our router. Since you have a local, you might discuss your needs and wants to get the best bang for your buck.

12-Oct-16
I've been buying refurb laptops and desktops for around $300. They come loaded with Windows 7 usually right now. There are tons of refurbed Dell corporate units out there. they are very durable.

Since I do not keep data on them it means nothing to me when they croak...I just get a new one the next day.

12-Oct-16
I use an HP Probook laptop at work and an ASUS laptop at home. Like Jack mentioned, there are docking stations for these things. The docking station for my HP has 4 USB ports, two video ports (for external monitors), ethernet port, an RJ-11 (4 wire telco port), a speaker port. two S-connection ports (for external mouse and keyboard). What I like about them is that they don't take up a ton of space. Before my desktop at home went tango uniform, the desktop unit hogged quite a bit of space. Now, I just close the cover and move the laptop.

Something to think about.

13-Oct-16
Got an email from HP today...they have some decent computers for good prices.

15-Oct-16
Pat...check your PMs. I found a couple of deals that might suit your needs.

jack

16-Oct-16
Pat... seems like the PM system is down again. Sent you a PM, but never delivered it seems.

Posted the following on another thread:

It appears that the PM is not working. PatB...I have sent you two WRT computers. I see neither of them on "My Bowsite" as I had seen one I did send on this new version and wondered if it was working. Pat...it seems that I will have to look up the links I found and post them on your computer thread. I came across a couple of really good deals...and a desktop that came with Win7, 12 G RAM and a 1T 7200 rpm hard drive (vs a slower 5400 rpm). No monitor, but you said you had one. If I remember correctly, the price was around $450.

If I can find the links, will post it here later.

jack

18-Oct-16
Consider making your own. I did 3 years ago. I went to Toms Hardware and posted what I was looking for. I got a list that someone put together on pc parts picker. I bought the parts and used Skype to have a young Egyptian vacationing in Massachusetts talk me through installation on the phone. I was anxious about making a mess, but it worked out well!!

• Sitka Gear