NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
The first of a pair
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
The first of a pair
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Second marker of a pair
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Second marker of a pair
Silly question, I know, but if anyone knows the answer, I'd appreciate it.

Early this summer, some of the streets in our development were resurfaced. Shortly thereafter, painted markers started showing up like the ones you see here on the streets which were not resurfaced. The format was always the same, although the pairings of the numbers varies from 3 to 43, all randomly from what I can determine.

The markings come in pairs. The first looks like the first photo here and the second looks like the second photo. The first marker in the pair will appear from 15-40 or so yards before the second marker. Only the numbers change.

The numbers seem relevant to nothing, but surely they are for a purpose of some sort.

Any surveyors out there who can tell me what these mean what they are used for?

14-Oct-16
If I see the guy that does surveying for me I will ask him but I may not see him for months. I have had a bunch of woods surveyed and know what the ribbons mean and LOD stakes mean but have no idea about roads.

14-Oct-16

Dave G. 's embedded Photo
Dave G. 's embedded Photo
The symbols make more sense if they're viewed from a different perspective.

The symbol on the left indicates that there's a McDonald's on the right side of the road ahead. The symbol on the right indicates that there's two McDonald's ahead a few hundred feet apart on the left hand side of the road. :^)

14-Oct-16
LOL!!

14-Oct-16
does someone own two lots next to each other?

14-Oct-16

kellyharris's embedded Photo
kellyharris's embedded Photo
?

14-Oct-16
Kelly, That's not it, either. The numbers are not in any sort of sequence. They are not a measure of distance. There is no pattern to them that I can see other than what you see it the two photos I posted. Every pair is identical re. the placing of the dots, the line and the number. The numbers used by each pair differs, but that's the only difference.

I've got a good friend who owns a sizable surveying company here in NV, so I'll ask him.

14-Oct-16
"a different perspective."

Good point, Dave.

;-)

14-Oct-16
I'm a surveyor in Oklahoma & Kansas and I'll display my ignorance and say that I've never seen markings like that before and will bet it wasn't put there by a surveyor. But then again I don't know everything especially up the Nevada way.

14-Oct-16
I'm sure they are legit, as they are all over the part of the development that has not had its' roads resurfaced. I assume the county road maintenance guys put them there. But that's only a guess.

14-Oct-16
I'm a surveyor from Wisconsin and they don't look like anything that I've seen, it may have a meaning to an engineer doing some work for future road projects.

14-Oct-16
maybe elevations or test locations from paving crew's inspectors?

riveting

14-Oct-16
Greg, it's not elevations, but I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the amount of asphalt or something they'll need in those sections when they resurface them. Only that doesn't explain why some sections of the roads aren't so marked at all.

14-Oct-16
Nva, I think you may be correct. Possibly the numbers above the line mean Fill 3/10ths and the ones under are cut ?/10ths? Been surveying 30+ years in WY and have never seen those particular markings.

14-Oct-16
Urban Crop Circles

14-Oct-16
Ron, That's a thought, only most of the numbers are in double digits, running all the way up to 43.

The fact that the line and dot on first of each pair are below the number while on the second of each pair, they are above the number, would seen to indicate something on the order of 'start here' and 'end here.'

The roads in our development are quite wide and there are lots of cracks running across the streets at 90 degree angles.

14-Oct-16
thats the 'old' pavement??

daaayum , reno must be nice....

14-Oct-16
Greg,

Reno is VERY nice. At least it is in our area.

OTOH, it can and does get windy here and today is proof of that. We've had gusts of 50 mph here at the house and the ten-minute average wind speed for the most of the past few hours has been 19-20 mph, although it's dropped in the last :30 to about 12 mph. One of our trash bins went missing a while ago and I found it behind some evergreens up against a corner of our fence 60 yards away from where it normally is.

15-Oct-16
May be utility locates. We don't use anything that looks like that for pavement (MN/WI).

• Sitka Gear