Anony Mouse 14-Oct-16
NvaGvUp 14-Oct-16
Anony Mouse 14-Oct-16
Rocky 14-Oct-16
14-Oct-16
What say yee, Sybil?

"Obama: We Have to Change ‘Wild West’ Media Landscape

FEBRUARY 04: (AFP OUT) U.S.

Pittsburgh (AFP) – President Barack Obama on Thursday decried America’s “wild, wild west” media environment for allowing conspiracy theorists a broad platform and destroying a common basis for debate.

Recalling past days when three television channels delivered fact-based news that most people trusted, Obama said democracy require citizens to be able to sift through lies and distortions.

“We are going to have to rebuild within this wild-wild-west-of-information flow some sort of curating function that people agree to,” Obama said at an innovation conference in Pittsburgh.

“There has to be, I think, some sort of way in which we can sort through information that passes some basic truthiness tests and those that we have to discard, because they just don’t have any basis in anything that’s actually happening in the world,” Obama added.

His remarks came amid an election campaign that has seen Republican candidate Donald Trump repeat ideas and take on key staff from right-wing media outlets.

They also come at the end of an eight-year presidency in which Obama has been plagued by false scandals over his place of birth that have forced him to play media-critic-in-chief.

For much of that time, Republicans and Democrats — which their own media sources — could rarely agree on even the most basic facts to build a debate.

“That is hard to do, but I think it’s going to be necessary, it’s going to be possible,” he added.

“The answer is obviously not censorship, but it’s creating places where people can say ‘this is reliable’ and I’m still able to argue safely about facts and what we should do about it.”

14-Oct-16
Only the first? If that bastard had his way he'd eliminate the ENTIRE Constitution.

Maybe then Moochelle would again be proud of her country.

14-Oct-16
WW,

Without question! He's ignored and shat on the Right to Bear Arms, Separation of Powers and many more. So it's no surprise he wants to shat on Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press as well.

14-Oct-16
1) Obama said democracy require citizens to be able to sift through lies and distortions. We all agree on this one. 2) “There has to be, I think, some sort of way in which we can sort through information that passes some basic truthiness tests and those that we have to discard, because they just don’t have any basis in anything that’s actually happening in the world,” Obama added. I agree! fact checking statements made by people is paramount to reporting THE TRUTH! 3) The answer is obviously not censorship, but it’s creating places where people can say ‘this is reliable’ and I’m still able to argue safely about facts and what we should do about it.” Agreed, its NOT CENSORSHIP but RELIABILITY in reporting.

sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding the complaints of a group of people that complain the media is 'rigged', they print lies, they aren't 'true journalists', etc. You are in total support of what the POTUS is saying. YOu're just choosing to be contrarian. Admit it.

14-Oct-16
I believe its Trump that wants the right to sue and shut down media outlets that speak out against him. A direct violation of the freedom of speech/press.

14-Oct-16
Go pound sand, you idiot!

Obama clearly said unnamed government appointed elitists should have the ability to rate what we should and should not be able to read.

14-Oct-16

14-Oct-16
Mouse,

By those words, Hillary Clinton is unfit to hold any office, elected or appointed, in the federal or even in any state government.

14-Oct-16
“When the fourth estate becomes the fifth column you are grateful for the second amendment.”

Quote seen today on Knuckledraggin'

14-Oct-16
Freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Although you have nothing worth saying and less worth printing.

The Rock

• Sitka Gear