Zbone 16-Oct-16
Shuteye 16-Oct-16
Jim in Ohio 16-Oct-16
huntr4477 16-Oct-16
itshot 16-Oct-16
South Farm 17-Oct-16
deerslayer 17-Oct-16
15-Oct-16
Last week, a young Amish man named Steven Yoder was killed in a mill accident here in New Wilmington, Pa . Steven left behind a wife named Mary, and five children under the age of 13, and one on the way. I asked my Amish friend Teena what would happen to the family. "How will they financially make it, since the Amish do not carry insurance?" Teena answered, "The church will take care of them." The church, in an Old World Order Amish group, is the entire community. "We are the church! We will all pitch in and help her until her sons are grown and can financially support her. If every body gives a little, she will have a lot "

Today, I stopped by Teena's and she asked me what the weather is supposed to be like on Saturday. I said it was going to be cool, but dry. Teena said, "Good, because at least ten teams of men are going to Mary's house to plow her fields, winterize her home and barn, get her a winters supply of coal (to heat her home) and wood (for her to cook with) . The women are all going to cook and bake to help feed the men, who are taking care of Mary's farm, and bring food for Mary to have enough all winter. I'm glad it will be nice for them."

This is community. This is church. When there is a need, it is taken care of. Not by a few, but by all. Lord help us to be a better community and a better church. Let our eyes see the needs. Let our ears hear the cries. Let our hands pitch in to do the dirty work. Many hands make light work.

We all need each other. <3

15-Oct-16
sounds like the government needs to regulate that kind of intrusion...

15-Oct-16
The Amish have much of life figured out better than those who deride them as "backward."

15-Oct-16
I live real close to Amish and they are really nice people. If a barn burns down they get together and build a new one and it doesn't take them long. The women cook up a storm to feed the workers. Our locals have gone all the way to Ohio to build a barn. They really do help each other. I have one Amish friend that is the best man I have ever seen with a chainsaw. He can work a half day and it keeps a crew with a skidder a day to haul out the logs.

15-Oct-16
Sexist, bigots, racists, homophobes! Hellary will straighten them out!

I wonder if they'll force the Amish schools and such to let confused mentally ill people who think they're men/women to use the bathrooms of the opposite sex?

Maybe about the same time they'll force a MOSQUE to do it.

15-Oct-16

16-Oct-16
The Amish only go to school until the 8th grade but they are far better educated then our high school kids. They have million dollar businesses they run here in Holmes and Knox County Ohio. They build feed and water tanks, large garbage bins, all kinds of things. They have a shop that repairs tractors, small engine shops, just amazing on what they can do with just an 8th grade education.

16-Oct-16
They can also build great kitchen cabinets and furniture. Lawn mower and chainsaw repair. The great thing is their prices are very reasonable. I know one that is a brick mason and I have sold him lots of fur over the years. You should see him skin a beaver using only gas light and razor sharp knives at night. I have to have real good light but he and his kids can almost do it in the dark and they do a perfect job. A little five year old boy filling kerosene lanterns is a sight to behold.

16-Oct-16
Right on, my Amish friend builds caskets, and now completely rebuilds antique tractors. He will take an old beat up 1932 John Deer tractor and completely rebuild it including engine and paint job. When he is done, it is just like it came out of the factory. He always has 4 or 5 tractors in his shop, he is working on.

16-Oct-16

Rocky's embedded Photo
Off Rt.30
Rocky's embedded Photo
Off Rt.30
We live in Bucks County Pa. and Lancaster which has a large contingent of Amish is about 1.5 hrs. away. I really enjoy talking to these people who have invited us into their homes upon just a chance meeting. The Amish builds pole barns in our area and the speed and craftsmanship is absolutely impressive and we are builders to critique. A simpler time, close to earth and God fearing people placing family first.

The Rock

16-Oct-16
I live within a few miles of the largest amish community in the nation (Tuscarawas & Holmes County, OH).... The only thing I'll say is, "If its brown, its down"....and never forget how they'll gang up during gun season and deplete the deer herd... Oh, buy the way, they call and consider us dumb English... Sorry, that was more than on thing...8^)

16-Oct-16
The Amish hunt deer for food, not antlers. The ones I know can really shoot well. Far better than the City people that come to our public hunting land and shoot 20 times for every deer recovered. We can kill all the deer we want in Maryland and Delaware and it sure doesn't hurt the population. My neighbor was raising heck with me yesterday due to all the damage to the corn and soybeans. I have cut way back and only shoot a few. Some for me and some donations. I will have to shoot some in my garden to keep my wife happy. BTW, in January those fawns are delicious. I normally don't shoot bucks.

16-Oct-16
Some do hunt if It is brown it is down but my Amish friends are great bowhunters, and only shoot big bucks. I have no trouble allowing them on my land and also hunting with them.

16-Oct-16
I always admired the Amish. They are honest,hard working,God fearing people. It's always amazing to see how they get together and help each other out after any hardships. Unlike some other "communities",who would be crying for more government assistance!

16-Oct-16
the closest remnants we have to our colonial settlers, those silly antiquated rubes....

would much rather be around Amish Americans than the new godamm america types in chitcago, norwalk and elsewhere

17-Oct-16
Call me sexist, but the main reason community action works in the Amish community is because they know and practice the roles intended by their Creator. There needs to be a provider and protector (man), and there needs to be homebody and nurturer (woman). When one gender decides they want to be the other, or that they should be made "equal" in the role not intended then that is when everything goes to hell...as old fashioned or outdated as everybody wants to call it these days.

17-Oct-16
This thread is right on. Had some Amish friends back in Mi. Admired them a great deal.

A fellow here on the BS is ex-Amish. (Mennonite now) Him, his brothers, his dad, and his cousin came out here to Mt a couple years ago. went 5 for 5 on bulls including a 360 monster. Rowed across the river every morning, drove to their spot, and then rode in their bikes every day and packed out the elk together when thy each got one. It was pretty impressive. All out, get-it-done work ethic for sure.

• Sitka Gear