Rocky 19-Oct-16
Scar Finga 20-Oct-16
bear2 22-Oct-16
Anony Mouse 22-Oct-16
slade 22-Oct-16
17-Oct-16

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
This is from the Bill of Sale on my first car. It was a 1972 Dodge Charger purchased brand new in Colorado Springs Colorado from Bill Breck Dodge on 1/10/1972. It was over 40 years before I purchased another new car.

17-Oct-16
Ya...I remember those days too. I was in college in Laramie, Wyoming and gas was .25 a gallon. 25 cents!!!!!!! You can't even buy FUMES for that now!!

17-Oct-16
I myself have never bought/owned a brand new car.

18-Oct-16
I remember my dad buying a 1970 GMC Jimmy (they call them Tahoes these days). I think he paid 3500.00. Would probably cost 40000.00 now.

18-Oct-16
I understand.... my first new vehicle was a 75 IH Scout. (for dealer cost, my dad had just picked up the dealership in the area) I think I paid in the area of $3500...

But how much was a home in 1975 where you live? I would guess they have gone up 10 fold as well? Or more?

BTW.... my daily driver (and hunter) is a 76 scout..... I've moved up in the world.....

18-Oct-16
Yeah, but come on TD, you live on an island. You change the oil what, once a year? Front pads every five? Never changed the rear drums. Tires dry rot before they wear out........Tank a gas lasts 3 months? Changed the plugs out once? Top end speed is what, 45 mph? Odo on the 76 Scout reads what, 40K? :-)

18-Oct-16
And don't forget the BEST thing about those old cars/trucks....NO ^%$#!@ COMPUTER CHIPS!!!!

18-Oct-16
Gad! That was a lot of money for a car in '72! That is a lot of money for a car now.

Receipts from '72? Henry, I am imagining a house where your have stacks of paper to the ceiling and just tunnels between rooms.

TD - we got a IH Travelall in '76 for a driving trip to Alaska. My pop paid $3000 used. He didn't keep close track, but the next 3-4 years probably tripled that price in repairs on that beast.

18-Oct-16
"And don't forget the BEST thing about those old cars/trucks....NO ^%$#!@ COMPUTER CHIPS!!!!"

I disagree. The best thing was if you dropped a bolt, you could find it on the ground under the vehicle. :-)

You can drop a 3/4" socket wrench, with universals and extensions, and never find it now. LOL

18-Oct-16
I had a 76 IH travelall when I was in college. It leaked oil out of the main seal pretty bad but as long a you kept if full it was fine. I could fit everything I owned in that thing. IH rusted bad!

18-Oct-16
My last new car was a 1969 GTO, window sticker was $4300. It cost $2800 and a 1965 Corvair. Should have kept them both.

18-Oct-16
Costs were way down 3 and 4 decades ago.

But, what was the median household income at the same time as well? It's all relative, however, some things have gotten out of hand.

18-Oct-16
It's gotten out of hand alright. No way a fishing boat should cost more than my parents paid for their entire house and land!

18-Oct-16
Oh the boat's piddly...It's the motor your dumping the money into. ;-)

Throw in the high def transducer and you've got 2 years of college tuition tied up.

he he he

:-)

18-Oct-16
Bought a brand new 1964 Pontiac GTO in the fall of 1963. Paid $2900 for it. It would do 95 mph in the quarter mile, hottest car in town. Drove it 40,000 miles in two years and traded it on a pink corvair. (I had got married).

18-Oct-16
And the Louisiana Purchase ran less than three cents an acre.

And today's fishing boat has more electronics in it than South Farm's parent's house.

Time value of money...You guys are just demonstrating that you've accrued more time on the planet.

I suspect that there's some pent up inflation that we're going to endure in the future that could, perhaps, be pinned to Quantitative Easing XIV (They're like Superbowls) I'd say that there's a good chance that someone on this site will be purchasing a new truck in 2030, shelling out better than $100,000 and it won't even be a luxury badge on the truck.

18-Oct-16
Vehicle prices have sky rocketed because the Gov. says we all have to buy thousands of dollars of so-called safety features that many of us don't need or want. ABS brakes are one of the most costly pieces of crap that we HAVE to buy. When gravel roads have a little ice or snow you used to be able to slide the tires a little and dig down to traction. Now you will glide into wrecks while standing on the brakes with both feet.

18-Oct-16
Right on, the ABS brakes are junk.

18-Oct-16
Joey, it only has 20K on the odo but it's been rolled over a couple times. =D About 70K I think on the rebuilt 304. You don't buy bolt on mods for a scout. Spring over on the 44s with a cut and turn (about a 7" lift but still soft stock springs.... flexy...), reverse shackle and hi-steer knuckles with one ton ends, steers/drives better than when stock. Lunchbox locker on the front (saving for an ARB air locker on the rear) had swapped axles (I have a few of em...) from a 3:07 down to 3:73 for the MT 12:50x33s mudders. (so yeah, top speed is about 60...) A bunch of little things, twin sticked the transfer case, etc. Softtopper rag top (hardtop rotted out...) led lights all around (easier than rewiring.... works great.) I have a throttle body fuel injection kit I'm waiting to put on, 90s GM TB, O2 sensor, distributor and computer with harness, etc. It goes from sea level to 6-7000 feet every weekend all year hunting and at about 3000 you really start noticing the difference with a carb. Plus it will be nice to just get in and drive it without warming it up first.....

It's about 4 different colors right now with all the different body parts on it from various donors, alot of primer gray... (if buying sheet metal look to AZ, NM, TX.... no rust....) Someday I'll paint it.... No need to change oil though..... it has it's own recycling system..... likes to mark it's territory.... =D

18-Oct-16
LOL :-)

I love it!

These OLD guys can have their carbs....I love EFI. And ECUs. ;-)

18-Oct-16
Just remember that in 40 years the current young guys will be dinosaurs complaining about the loss of internal combustion engines and the new young guys will be poking fun at them and singing the praises of their new 2057 solar powered 1/8th ton hunting rig ;^)

18-Oct-16

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
The reason I found the paper is that I was looking for an old photo of my sister and I. She finally succumbed to Multiple Sclerosis last summer after a 40+ year battle. This week will be the first time in my memory when she will not be here for her birthday. Thursday will be a tough day for me. I had no idea that the paper (and some other interesting things I found) even still existed.

18-Oct-16
Sorry for your loss Henry, hang in there.

18-Oct-16
Sorry Henry

Hang on to the good memories and great pictures, hopefully Thursday will be a fine day because of them

18-Oct-16
May she rest in peace Henry.

18-Oct-16
"And don't forget the BEST thing about those old cars/trucks....NO ^%$#!@ COMPUTER CHIPS!!!!"

"I disagree. The best thing was if you dropped a bolt, you could find it on the ground under the vehicle. :-) "

You're correct! We used to be able to sit on the fender with our feet and legs INSIDE the engine compartment and work on the motor. Of course, that was back when an AVERAGE sized sedan weighed 6000 pounds!!!

19-Oct-16
Thoughts and prayers Henry. Long days, but full of good memories. Those are the things we take with us.....

19-Oct-16
HA,

Family. That you remember and mention her memory is all that needs be said for she is smiling. That is what brothers are for. Your a good man.

The Rock

20-Oct-16
HA,

Sorry to hear of your loss, prayers your way! God Bless,

Scar.

22-Oct-16
Average yearly income in 72 was around $7,200.

22-Oct-16
Coming to a reality near you:

22-Oct-16
sent from WA

• Sitka Gear