Community
Contributors to this thread:
Jim in Ohio 20-Oct-16
elkmtngear 20-Oct-16
Anony Mouse 20-Oct-16
Jim in Ohio 20-Oct-16
Anony Mouse 20-Oct-16
20-Oct-16
I can't get my my Windows 7 desktop to recognize my Western Digital portable hard drive and also my two Maxtor portable hard drives. What gives. Have a lot of info on them and sure would like to use it on my Desktop.

20-Oct-16
Did you try to download the drivers for the hard drive from a external site? Also your antivirus program could be blocking the driver installations. Just a couple of ideas.

Best of Luck, Jeff

20-Oct-16
Jim...I rarely use Windows although I do have a laptops with Win 7 and Win 10.

Have you moved your computer recently? You might have dislodged drive connections. "My Computer" should show you if the drives are connected.

Your portable hard drives...USB? If so, you might want to check cables and the USB ports themselves. I had a USB port on a notebook fail several years ago and was unable to connect to my external drive with that port.

Have you tried using some of the trouble shooting procedures in the control panel? If your system was OK and you could see the drives, try going back to an earlier reset point. If you have access to another computer, you might see if that computer recognizes the drives. That for sure would isolate the problem between computer and drives. If you have a memory stick, you can also check your USB connections as Windows should recognize one if plugged in. I know that with Linux, one needs to unmount a drive before removing it. You might try pulling the USB cables from your drive, boot into Windows and then plug in one of your external drives instead of booting with them plugged in.

If I think of anything more, will post again.

jack

20-Oct-16
what operating system were you using them with before the windows 7 system?

In theory windows 7 should happily recognize them and use them....that is unless the file systems are incompatible for instance.

20-Oct-16
I can't remember, I thought I was using them with Widows 7, maybe Windows Media or what ever that junk system was. I will keep trying.

20-Oct-16
Jim...Did they work with Win 7 and this is a new occurrence? If they worked with Win 7 and this just started happening go through the Control panel diagnostics. The solution may be just returning to an earlier restore point.

You really need to provide more info: how are they connected, what happened just before the problem arose (working-turned off and next boot, stopped working), etc. What have you done to try to fix your problem. Need data.

• Sitka Gear