Woods Walker 27-Nov-16
HDE 27-Nov-16
kentuckbowhnter 27-Nov-16
nijimasu 28-Nov-16
Sixby 28-Nov-16
sleepyhunter 28-Nov-16
HDE 28-Nov-16
13-Nov-16
Some of you guys on both sides of the aisle talked pretty big about how good or how bad things would be with Trump as president. Do you have the cajones to put it down in this thread for us to look at before the next eletion in 2020?

Now that it's pretty much a done deal, where do you think the Trump presidency will take us? If you are pro Trump or anti-Trump, I'd like to start this thread to archive what we we thinking in 2016. We can come back to it in 4 years and use it as an "I told you so" or an "oh shit, I was so wrong" weigh point.

For a start, let's look at foreign relations, 2nd ammendment laws, immigration laws, and the economy, and any other hot-button issues.

For economic comparisons, some of you should post the present numbers for the following, and your sources, so they can be compared in four years with stats from the same sources. Since even these numbers tend to be disputed for bias, if several of you list your sources we'll at least get a big general picture:

For 2016- Unemployment rate , Cost of a gallon of gas, Uninsured rate, Oil barrels imported, Teen pregnancy/K, GDP growth, Dow Jones

Please treat this as debate-free, (I can't find that button any more) until 2020. Then we'll go into debate mode with whatever comparisons we have between us in 2016 and us in 2020.

13-Nov-16
Just when I think I got the tiger by the tail, I don't. The only thing I know in 2020 is that I'll be 4 years older and hopefully wiser.

Maybe I 'll revisit this thread in the 1st quarter of 2017.

13-Nov-16
Who knows? The only thing I DO know is that we will NOT have to listen to a shrieking corrupt harpy for the next 4 years...thank God.

Trump is an unknown. Hillary was a WELL known.

14-Nov-16
The economy is in the tamk far worse than is generally known. The press will make sure that trump gets blamed for any little down-tick - even if it is only the truth about the obama economy coming to light. There will be fewer positive changes than many hope, but also fewer continuations and worsenings on the obama policies than we would have had with hilary. The obama judges and obstructionist dems in the senate will make it difficult to implement anything legislatively or through the judicial system.

I do not say this as a criticism of trump, but as a dose of reality of how much downward inertia there is in our government and society. Any gains he is able to make will be hard-won. The biggest difference he can make is reversing obama executive actions. If trump does not aggressively go after those, then his impact will be minimal.

14-Nov-16
I predict that the legacy that Trump leaves will be the judiciary. Law can be changed and the next dem congress can change them back, but a lifetime appointment is well, a lifetime.

Terry

14-Nov-16
It's impossible to say but as was said before, no more Clintons. That's a blessing in and of itself! I sure hope to see countless illegals deported as well.

14-Nov-16
He is unknown, a Democrat/Populist turned Republican, and a Reality Star. That was and is most of my issue. Finally the SCOTUS swayed me so I am hoping a strong Constitutional Conservative Judge will be in the cards.

14-Nov-16
Most people on this site couldn't even predict the last twelve months and now you want to go for four years? That's funny.

14-Nov-16
You picked the wrong indicators to judge by. Unemployment rate doesn't count you if you stop looking for work so in a really bad recession it can look pretty good like it does now. Dow Jones will go up if you keep printing money like Obama did. Gas prices went down because of fracking and Saudi Arabia's reaction to the fracking in the us. The economy will be better, immigration will be slowed, the 2nd amendment will be strengthened because of his Supreme Court picks.

14-Nov-16
In four years I will be retired. These last 8 years have been really good to me.

14-Nov-16
Coyote 65, x2

The Rock

15-Nov-16
What TOT's? They no longer exist.

15-Nov-16
"4. People will still be attempting to use the TOTs to squelch anyone that disagrees with them or hurts their feelings. "

Yes, but that is what makes the CF what it is today. The TOT's are great.

15-Nov-16
"Yes, but that is what makes the CF what it is today."

A lot less intellectual and lacking in free and fair debate....

I think it has been nice to have them gone.

15-Nov-16
WW, with the 33 1/2 man gone they're not needed

15-Nov-16
Agreed....for now. But it'll be back, it/they can't help themselves. Just like hemorrhoids. You think your done with them and the out of the blue comes a big pain in the a**. The TOT's were our Preparation H.

27-Nov-16
Mint- what economic indicators will you list here, then? if you have something that would be a great comparison in 4 years, that would be great!

As far as the metrics I listed, no one else has posted, so I'll take the initiative- please post your own figures and sources if you disagree-

Unemployment rate in 2016 has been between 4.9% and 5% as per http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/unemployment-rate

Average price of a gallon of gas in 2015 was $2.40 (cheapest since 2009), with 2016 looking to be cheaper still once the year is up and can be averaged as per http://gasprices.aaa.com/average-u-s-gas-prices-begin-2016-under-2-per-gallon/

Uninsured rate 11% as per http://www.gallup.com/poll/193556/uninsured-rate-remains-historical-low.aspx

Barrels of crude imported 2015 : 2,687,409 as per https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=mcrimus1&f=a

adolescent fertility rate in 2014 was 24 per 1000 as per http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.ADO.TFRT?locations=US and http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/29/why-is-the-teen-birth-rate-falling/

GDP growth 2016: 3rd quarter 2016: 2.9 percent 2nd quarter 2016: 1.4 percent as per https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/glance.htm

Dow Jones average for 2016 17,500 as per http://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

Personally, I see dark times ahead.

My personal feeling is that foreign relations will deteriorate greatly under Trump, breeding global economic and political instability. This will be reflected in a lower GDP, higher gas prices, a Dow Jones that will deflate slowly over the next 4 years, and higher unemployment and uninsured rates.

Domestically, I see more, not less, fights breaking out between social groups, I see an increasing disparity between the retained (after tax) incomes of the middle and upper classes. I see education pushed towards privatization, which ultimately will lead to its own deleterious effects .

Going out on a limb, I'm even thinking there is a good chance Trump won't make it four years. Given his history of walking the edge of legality, there's a good chance of an impeachable offence that could actually stick will happen. The only bright spot I'm seeing is that I hope 2nd amendment rights will stay constant with greater enforcement of extant law.

I'm usually a pretty optimistic guy, but I don't think there was any right choice in the last election. I hope I am absolutely wrong about every one of these (except the 2nd amendment).

Alright. I've stuck my neck out. I promise I won't edit this ever. Anyone else willing to set down here what they're thinking now for later comparison?

27-Nov-16
Well, you're right about one thing, a lower gasoline price will result in a higher oil price. But that in turn will increase jobs, or decrease the unemployment rate, not decrease jobs or increase the unemployment rate.

Like it or not, oil is the new "gold standard".

27-Nov-16
The reason why everyone got it wrong in the past election? They BELIEVED the numbers . What have we learned? Reading the previous post and REFERENCED numbers absolutely NOTHING. Unemployment rate and GDP growth. You really believe that and expect people to take you serious? Incredible.

The Rock

27-Nov-16
Dark times ahead??? WTF do you think we've just been through???!!! The past 8 years have been the worst of my life. Damn near lost my home, and I'm working harder than I did 40 years ago.

Bush helped drive the economy into the ditch. Obama drove it off the f*****g cliff!!!

If Hellary would have won my wife and I had discussed selling our home for what we could, and then living in the woods somewhere.

27-Nov-16
^^^ when I was finishing up an economics degree a couple of years ago, a prof of mine said the exact same things.

27-Nov-16
I predict I will hunt and drink bourbon just as much as always. maybe more.

28-Nov-16
rocky- I don't understand your post- are you saying the indicators are meaningless, or that the numbers themselves are flawed? What metric will you provide to gauge the wellbeing of the country in their stead? Please supply ones that you yourself will take seriously- and how do you feel they will change in the next four years? I don't care what you use, as long as you have a metric that we can compare again in four years.

Woods Walker, I'm very sorry for your last eight years- and I have to agree- the last year in particular was very hard on me and I found myself in a similar situation. I'm afraid though, just as Buckiller said above, things are going to get worse. Please don't confuse this with a pro-Clinton thread. I would have generated this same thread regardless of how the election turned out. I saw no joy coming from either of the presidential candidates before the election, and I still don't.

I won't deny I started this thread to shake political and economic misconceptions (as I stated above, hopefully my own will be the most misconceived) but I'll ask everyone to save commentary on my or other's predictions for four years from now.

This thread is for setting down how you think this will play out- and then seeing how right or wrong we were back in 2016.

28-Nov-16
Everything depends on prayer. If we pray for Trump and the people surrounding him, Pray for this nation to , as a people, return to God and get rid of the evil that is destroying us as a people then we can expect God to lift us up and exalt this nation as a people. If not , Well , that's not too hard to figure out. One thing I do believe is that God puts up who He will and takes down who He will so I have faith that God will do His part if we do our part.

God bless, Steve

28-Nov-16
I'm optimistic. Trump needs to get the benefit of the doubt and let's see if he can improve our Nation. Will he be perfect? No. The country gave Obama 8 yrs and we survived. Lots of room for improvement after Obama is gone.

28-Nov-16
Sixby - very true.

• Sitka Gear