Bentstick81 30-Nov-16
gflight 30-Nov-16
joshuaf 30-Nov-16
joshuaf 30-Nov-16
joshuaf 30-Nov-16
17-Nov-16
Oh my goodness, a sane choice!

17-Nov-16
No way is Trump giving Romney the SecState position. This is just Trump looking good for the media by pretending to consider Romney, and Trump screwing with Romney by pretending to consider Romney. John Kerry has a better chance or retaining the job, than Romney has of getting it!

17-Nov-16
I hope Trump does some good but I think it would be a mistake to assume that his actual actions will match the red meat stuff he said while campaigning. "Build a wall and have Mexico pay for it" likely means tougher on border issues and some added infrastructure. "Appoint a special prosecutor for Hillary likely means nothing will happen if she goes away. "Repeal and replace Obamacare" likely means a modified version that keeps some parts of it. Appointing Romney wouldn't surprise me a bit. Trump is notorious for going full out nasty on an enemy and then being friendly when they are no longer a threat.

I would be fine if he followed through with the full campaign level action on the conservative stuff but its likely disappointing to expect it.

17-Nov-16
"No way is Trump......."

Really? You think you know him that well?

17-Nov-16
I've said this before......Trump may be brash, crude, and a loud mouth (you know, a typical New Yorker. I grew up in northern New Jersey and I know the species!!), but he's not stupid and as a businessman he KNOWS how to pick good people to help him achive his goals. If he couldn't he wouldn't be where he is today.

17-Nov-16
I gave up trying to predict anything about Trump back when he dissed McCain and yet was still in contention for the nomination. It was at that point that I began to see that for this election you can take ALL the past history and precidents and throw them out the window because we are in totally new territory now.....and we STILL are.

18-Nov-16
Romney is a good man. A very intelligent and competent man who loves his country. If in fact Trump appoints him he would step into the job with a well known and respected name and instant gravitas.

One of the main worries with Trump around the world is we have just elected a crazy man. This would go a long way to showing a serious man, not a crazy one.

18-Nov-16
I agree TD

18-Nov-16
Believe it or not I also agree, he would be the first true statesman to occupy that office in a very long time.

18-Nov-16
Romney is smooth and slippery and well polished. Excellent qualifications for a diplomat. He'd make a better SoS than a President.

18-Nov-16
Romney would be a good choice for SOS but he led the charge against Trump right up until he won the election. It's hard to imagine Trump being able to get past that.

18-Nov-16
When in business, your team has to share the same vision to be successful. You don't (and shouldn't probably) have to be friends.

I've always thought Romney would make a better cabinet memeber than POTUS (maybe).

18-Nov-16

Anony Mouse's Link
Link: How about Mitt Romney for VA secretary?

Interesting...

18-Nov-16
These threads guessing on cabinet appointments reminds me of people on the Big Game Forums guessing about what they drew out for through the elusive "backdoor".

19-Nov-16
I would not select Romney for anything!

19-Nov-16
I'd recommend Romeny for Secretary of Origami because he folds REALLY well under pressure.

He was without a doubt the WORST vote I ever cast.

The best place for him is right where he's been for the past 4 years.....irrelevant.

19-Nov-16
I think Romney is good choice. Would Trump give him the job? Why not?

19-Nov-16

19-Nov-16
After 18 holes today and a new autographed set of clubs from President elect Trump I say Mitt Romney should go home and re-retire and like the Clintons never to be heard from again.

The Rock

19-Nov-16
Watching these post is like watching couple 7-8 yr old kids wishing for Christmas presents. Then there are us 14-15 yr old kids over hearing and saying 'there isn't any Santa Claus'.

19-Nov-16
What Rocky said!

19-Nov-16
X-3 Rocco!

20-Nov-16

slade's embedded Photo
slade's embedded Photo
Not exactly the look of being picked.

22-Nov-16

23-Nov-16
"Has to make a guy wonder about Trump....if he wasn't already...."

My memory is a little foggy, but I think perhaps it has been suggested here in the past, oh, once or twice, that Trump isn't the anti-Establishment hero some of you have allowed yourselves to be hoodwinked into thinking that he is.

23-Nov-16
Off Topic...

Slade, Check your PM. Thanks.

23-Nov-16
I just hope it isn't Romney, Trump may forgive but I don't.

23-Nov-16
It's more than you memory that's foggy josh.

25-Nov-16

Things Romney need to apologize for ( I borrowed this from a great American)

Del Parker · Dallas, Texas Romney, like Obama, believes the way to get America's interests properly sorted out, is to offer an "Apology Tour."

OK, here's a list...

1) Apologize to the Boy Scouts at the Winter Olympics, that were not allowed to volunteer, because you caved to the homosexual lobby, who at the time was critical of the Boy Scouts exclusion of Homosexuals.

2) Apologize to all the folks that had to put up w 4 more years of Obama, because you failed to campaign, after being entrusted w the Republican Nomination.

3) Apologize for even running as a Republican, when the WSJ and others believe you should be running as the worthless Dimocrat you are.

4) Apologize to the American Black community for being the point person of interest in keeping Brigham Young University segregated for some 14 years following the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1965.

5) Apologize for stealing every campaign slogan you ever used, such as, Margaret Thatcher's "Labor's not working," becoming "Obama's not working," which was used in the face of it being pointed out by the British Press, that it was a racist and inappropriate use of Margaret Thatcher's legacy.

6) Apologize for lying about marching w Martin Luther King, when that never happened.

7) Apologize for asking Americans to entrust you w the job of Sec of State, when you can not even be trusted to vote for the Republican Nominee of the Party you pretended to represent 4 years ag

25-Nov-16
"non-establishment president"

You're making an awfully big assumption when you assume that Trump is a "non-establishment" president. Cripes, he's picked the RNC head - ULTRA-Establishment Reince - as his Chief of Staff. Nothing could be a better indicator that Trump is not anti-Establishment. Sure, maybe his campaign rhetoric intended to sell the notion he was anti-Establishment, but as with so many of his campaign "promises" and rhetoric, some of you are going to discover to your disappointment that it was lies.

25-Nov-16
LOL! Got any stock tips for us too josh?

25-Nov-16
Lol,

25-Nov-16
joshuaf,

Despite you whining, there is no indication Romney will be SOS,

Give it up!

25-Nov-16
He can't. The butthurt is strong in that one.

27-Nov-16
"Despite you whining, there is no indication Romney will be SOS,"

I'm not pulling for Romney to be SOS. He's a Liberal. Though he would be better than some of the others under consideration for the post.

By the way, anyone but me think it's unseemly for Trump's advisers and his campaign manager to be so publicly attacking Romney and opposing him for the post? Shouldn't that be something that is deliberated internally with Trump? Gingrich, Huckabee, Conway, who continued her anti-Romney crusade on the Sunday morning shows this morning. Well, there was a story not long ago quoting anonymous sources inside the Trump campaign that the only way to actually get through to him on anything is through the media. So I guess maybe that is the operative intent here, continue to pillory Romney publicly through the media until Trump finally gets the message and decides not to nominate Romney? You have to think those advisers believe Trump is very seriously considering nominating Romney, otherwise they wouldn't be on this continuing "kick Romney" crusade.

Strange & disturbing. Going to be a turbulent next 4 years.

27-Nov-16
Romney has skills and could be an asset in the right position. Interesting that if trump is such an authoritarian his own people feel free to speak up in public.

27-Nov-16
It seems logical that Romney is not the pick due to members of the Trump camp speaking against him candidly. Of course the community forum all stars have parsed and picked Trump apart since he said he would run. I expect that Trump AGAIN will make all the naysayers look like neophytes again.

28-Nov-16
" Bottom line is he is extremely competent and skilled."

At what?? Origami? Enacting state run health care?

He needs to go away.

28-Nov-16
I think Trump and Conway are playing everyone, especially Romney and the msm. I doubt seriously that Trump would knowingly go directly against the wishes of the people who just elected him by nominating the liberal Romney as Sec. of State.

28-Nov-16
Made a bet with my barber today about this very question. He thinks Romney is a shoe-in for the Sec Stage job. I still say no way in he'll given his prior virulent anti-Trump positions. We should see how this turns out pretty soon!

28-Nov-16
Would be pretty funny if Petraeus - convicted of sharing classified information in pillow talk with his mistress - got the nod for SOS, given all of Trump's focus on Hillary's e-mails during the campaign. And when I say "funny", I mean ironic, hypocritical and stupid. Could Petraeus even get a security clearance?

28-Nov-16
You're funny josh.

29-Nov-16
Seriously..... Petraeus even being considered after his conviction????

Exactly how deep does the hypocrisy run? Hillary a traitor, she put classified information and the nation at risk with her emails.... but our guy, like Trump... hey, it was just about sex..... never mind, nothing to see here, he's cool.... This isn't 3 strikes an your out..... this is a job where the HINT of a strike and you're out.... Maybe he's a good guy.... I don't know. Maybe some other position, although his strength being what it is..... what would he actually have clearance for? Advisory maybe? What clearance should an adviser need? Again, I don't know. SOS would be insanity.

I think Trump has made a few good appointments of good qualified people. He should continue that and quit making this some BS reality TV show no matter his inclinations..... and no matter how many of his voters wanted that....

29-Nov-16
"Tom Price may not be Steve Bannon conservative"

Thanks for the laugh!

Steve Bannon is not a conservative. He's the brains behind the trillion+ $ infrastructure spending plan, that he was quoted as saying would drive the conservatives in Congress "crazy". FDR would be proud.

29-Nov-16
I think that Romney is the consumate diplomat, probably a good thing to possess as SoS. With that said, I don't think he would be firm enough dealing with the likes of Russia, China and the Middle East. I want a SoS with some back bone. Someone who will stand up to the thugs and dictators and "read unto them from the good book."

Who that may be, I don't know. We need a fair and strong diplomat for that position. Not some milqutoast like the last couple have been.

29-Nov-16
"You obviously josh are clueless on the issues concerning Bannon. I mean ALL the issues. "

Nationalist Populism does not="Constitutional Conservatism". Something about which you are apparently confused.

"The left has painted him so far to the right he makes Reagan look like Carter."

I don't form my opinions of people from what the "Left" say about them, I let the words of the people themselves inform my opinion of them. There are plenty available for Bannon, just like for Trump.

29-Nov-16
Romney would be a disaster for Donald Trump and this nation and he knows it. Mitt Romney is a disgraced loser from a time long past. Unite the party for visuals, and allow him to go into the night.

If Trump passes on Rudy that will be his first built in banana peel that he slipped on.

The Rock

29-Nov-16
I can't believe that he is meeting with Romney again. Hopefully it is to tell him that he offered it to Rudy and he accepted.

30-Nov-16
November 29, 2016 Why Trump is courting Romney for the State Department By Thomas Lifson

All the brouhaha over the alleged rifts within the Trump transition over Mitt Romney misses the point. I think it is theatre, a distraction by the same man who was able to direct media attention where he wanted it all throughout the campaign.

Donald Trump has a plan that eludes his critics, who can’t help thinking about politics the way it has always been played and still do not grasp his thinking nor the range of new tools he brings to the presidency.

The Department of State is badly broken and desperately needs to be fixed. State requires fundamental restructuring as well as the departure of many entrenched figures whose goals and beliefs are antagonistic to realistic confrontation with Islamic jihad and the generations-long efforts of Muslim states to "wipe Israel off the map." The State Department is full of people called "Arabists," who instinctively blame Israel when it is attacked and defends itself and who presume that the U.S. should attend to the prejudices of hundreds of millions of Arab Muslims because they are so populous, and because they have oil and have funded an amazing number of sinecures for retired bureaucrats with generous compensation and few demands (other than reflexive support whenever an issue arises).

This is just a start on enumerating the problems, for the Middle East is not the only problem ahead, merely the oldest. There are serious issues with Russia, China, North Korea, and Venezuela, among major problems for U.S. diplomacy.

Arnold Cusmariu today makes the case that John Bolton is the man to reform the State Department while implementing President-Elect Trump's policies. I am a great admirer of Bolton and would be happy if he were to get the job. But even though I am much closer to Bolton's politics than Mitt Romney's, the former governor's skill set seems ideal for the job ahead.

First of all, my assumption is that when he assumes the presidency, Donald Trump will largely make foreign policy from the White House, a move with much precedent. He would do this by using the National Security Council staff, who do not require Senate confirmation, and who can operate quicker and more flexibly than the barnacle-encrusted State Department protocols allow.

Mitt Romney as secretary of state would focus not on policy, but on doing to the State Department what he has done to poorly performing companies: close down entire segments of the organization and reorganize what the survivors do around re-thought goals and procedures. This is a formidable art, and one that Romney is an acknowledged master of, thanks to his many years at Bain Capital, buying companies and turning them around. He has deep experience in refocusing on what matters most and the most effective ways to accomplish the redefined priorities.

It helps a lot to be a total stranger if you are making ruthless cuts. Bolton's experience at the State Department could be a plus in many ways, but also his human relationships could be an obstacle for sweeping change. He would be only a phone call away from Romney, were the latter to need his advice. The portrait of Romney painted by the Obama campaign in 2012 could be turned to advantage if State Department employees started sending out their résumés in anticipation of Mitt the Knife forcing them out.

Donald Trump has endured a certain amount of mockery for saying that Romney "looks like" a secretary of state, but I take the remark as an indication that he intends to make unprecedented use of the media in his foreign policy (and everywhere else in his administration). Remember that he understands reality television's appeal better than anyone else in politics. And for better or worse, a sizable chunk – probably a majority – of the public apprehends politics at the level of TV drama, with heroes and villains, and especially with victims.

Donald Trump is spending a lot of time with Mitt Romney, and the two are to dine together. I think this suggests that the president-elect is using his formidable persuasion powers to explain to Mitt what the job he has in mind will look like and solicit Romney's formidable intelligence and experience in the task ahead.

The master showman is also a master persuader (hat tip: Scott Adams). I think he has big plans for big changes at State, and he thinks Romney is the guy to do it.

30-Nov-16
Some photos emerged from the Trump/Romney dinner meeting last night. And now this one leaked out....

30-Nov-16

joshuaf's Link
Oh, this is beautiful, I can't take all the "anti-Establishment" winning going on here. Trump's chief adviser is a Goldman Sachs guy, his pick to be Treasury Secretary is a Goldman Sachs guy who has donated to the last 3 Dem Presidents and he worked for George Soros, and now Trump is thinking about appointing Goldman Sachs' President to be his Director of the Office of Management & Budget! Oh yeah, the guy is a registered Democrat. Anti-Establishment for the WIN! Drain the Swamp, indeed.

I'm old enough to remember when Trumpists thought that Ted Cruz's wife working for Goldman Sachs as a financial adviser to the wealthy meant that Cruz would be a tool of the one-world globalist cabal. My, how things change, huh? I can. not. wait to hear the rationalizations and excuses for why this is a super smart move totally in line with the "anti-Establishment" theme of his campaign for President and why this proves Trump is playing chess while everyone else is playing candyland.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/11/trump-could-pick-goldman-sachs-president-231995

"Trump considering Goldman Sachs president for top post"

30-Nov-16
Oh, and Trump's pick for Commerce Secretary, Billionaire Wilbur Ross? Brace yourselves....a Democrat. Was an officer in the New York Dem Party.

30-Nov-16
Just because you're a registered dem doesn't mean you're a progressive liberal. Because we all know what a RINO is.

Maybe this guy is, I don't know.

30-Nov-16
the Mormons killed my great grandparents.

30-Nov-16
"Trump is in the process of putting together one very conservative Cabinet, that is very obvious."

Yes, a cabinet with multiple big government Democrats in it and multiple Establishment, career Washington GOP types could only be described as "one very conservative Cabinet".

Trax, you are seriously in need of a self-awareness injection.

30-Nov-16
Josh - Would you at least admit that Trump has done a good thing by reaching an agreement with Carrier to keep them from moving jobs to Mexico, keeping in mind that he hasn't been sworn into office yet? Just curious if its possible for Trump to do anything that you approve of, or if this nonstop BS complaining is going to continue for at least 4 years. I suppose you'll make the argument that Carrier got tax breaks instead of paying their "fair share". I'll bet the people that work for Carrier appreciate Trumps efforts.

30-Nov-16
Josh, why don't you move to another country. You wanted to allow Hillary to destroy this country, and she didn't make it. So why don't you take your, whining, anti-american attitude, and move? That way, you won't have a thing to cry about. You are, without a doubt, the biggest whine bag i know, hillary included. You two have to be related.

30-Nov-16
"Josh, why don't you move to another country. You wanted to allow Hillary to destroy this country, and she didn't make it. So why don't you take your, whining, anti-american attitude, and move? That way, you won't have a thing to cry about. You are, without a doubt, the biggest whine bag i know, hillary included. You two have to be related."

Let me paraphrase.... "I have no TOT's and you keep telling me things that make me feel uncomfortable."

30-Nov-16
"Would you at least admit that Trump has done a good thing by reaching an agreement with Carrier to keep them from moving jobs to Mexico"

For starters, they're still moving a bunch of jobs to Mexico. Secondly, "a good thing" for who? And what is your measuring stick? Limited, Constitutional Government? If that is not your measuring stick, then sure, anything like this can be spun as good. If you're in favor of free trade and free market capitalism, though, then "government inducements" (aka Taxpayer Cash infusions) to convince a company to stay and do business somewhere it couldn't reasonably do so without taxpayer subsidies, then no, that is not a good thing.

"I'll bet the people that work for Carrier appreciate Trumps efforts."

I have no doubt of that. Is that the measuring stick for whether something is right for the government to do or not? Because if it is, then I'm sure there's a lot of people in America who would really appreciate the Treasury opening it's doors and letting them come in and walk out with as much money as they can carry. Should Donald Trump just write an executive order outlawing a company's ability to fire or lay off workers? I'm sure America's workers would really "appreciate" Trump's efforts in that regard.

"He attacks the "evil rich", how dare they be allowed in Trump's inner circle! Vilify the evil rich and all accomplished conservative operatives"

I never said a single thing about the "evil rich", and what I said about Trump's cabinet picks doesn't remotely have to do with their wealth status. I'd love to be rich myself, and hope someday to get to that point. I think it's wonderful that Mitt Romney and others have the opportunity in America to gain wealth and have taken good advantage of that opportunity. Good for them. That doesn't mean they are remotely "Conservatives".

"Trump is putting together a truly conservative and very accomplished Cabinet"

"accomplishment" doesn't equal "conservative", otherwise there are lots and lots of people who are eligible for Trump's cabinet whom I don't want anywhere near the White House.

Trax, I don't know what your occupational status is, but you would make a fabulous Trump lackey in his office of DIS-information (aka Propaganda). Your natural eagerness to defend him in the face of actual facts to the contrary would make you right at home in that department. Frankly, you make Baghdad Bob look like a bloody amateur.

You don't base your whole campaign around being an "outsider", "anti-establishment", rail constantly against the elite and international bankers, and then once you're elected hire a whole menagerie for your cabinet of the types of people you railed against your whole campaign. A lot of you people have been saying till you're blue in the face that Trump isn't a politician. I said he was, and he's proving it in spades right now with his easy ability to bring career Washington and Establishment hands into his cabinet despite railing against those people the whole campaign, and fooling ya'll all along while he was doing it.

If only anyone would have warned us he perhaps wasn't what he seemed and didn't intend to keep his promises....

30-Nov-16
Dedicated Trumpist, former Illinois Republican Congressman Joe Walsh.

30-Nov-16
I totally get that a lot of you are fully prepared to defend (and already are) Trump actions and decisions that you would in no way brook from Hillary or Obama, in the spirit of partisanship. That has been made 100% clear. A lot of you are plain hypocrites for deciding to do that, but I get that that is what you've decided to do.

I won't go along with you. Nor will I apologize for not doing so. All politicians should be judged by the same standard regardless of their party affiliation (or their pretended party affiliation, as in Trump's case). Failure by anyone to do just exactly that renders their future complaints and criticisms against politicians in the "opposition" party as null and void, completely bereft of moral authority or meaning.

• Sitka Gear