slade 29-Nov-16
slade 29-Nov-16
NvaGvUp 29-Nov-16
slade 30-Nov-16
Mint 30-Nov-16
gflight 30-Nov-16
gflight 30-Nov-16
23-Nov-16
What do our resident schoool teachers think?

President-elect Donald J. Trump today announced his intent to nominate Betsy DeVos as Secretary of the United States Department of Education. A leader in the national school reform movement for more than two decades, Betsy DeVos is a highly successful education advocate, businesswoman, and philanthropist.

“Betsy DeVos is a brilliant and passionate education advocate,” said President-elect Donald J. Trump. “Under her leadership we will reform the U.S. education system and break the bureaucracy that is holding our children back so that we can deliver world-class education and school choice to all families. I am pleased to nominate Betsy as Secretary of the Department of Education.”

“I am honored to accept this responsibility to work with the President-elect on his vision to make American education great again,” said Ms. DeVos. “The status quo in education is not acceptable. Together, we can work to make transformational change that ensures every student in America has the opportunity to fulfill his or her highest potential.”

A native of Michigan, Betsy DeVos has spent decades advocating for school choice reforms and helping underserved children gain access to quality education. Ms. DeVos is chairman of the American Federation for Children whose mission is to “improve our nation’s K-12 education by advancing systemic and sustainable public policy that empowers parents, particularly those in low-income families, to choose the education they determine is best for their children.”

24-Nov-16
I thought Trump was going to drain the swamp not fill it with snapping turtles

24-Nov-16
The NEA and AFT HATE school choice. So she's going to be a big factor in draining the swamp if she'll be a bulldog in her new job.

Those sounds you hear are heads exploding at the NEA and AFT offices across the country.

24-Nov-16
She claims that she is not a supporter of Common Core, but according to some articles in the last few days, she definitely is. She's on the board of some Jeb Bush education org., and as we all know, Jeb is a huge Common Core booster.

24-Nov-16
You can be on the education.org board without supporting Common Core.

I've served on a number of boards and rarely are all board members in agreement on all issues. Which is exactly what you want if you want a good board.

24-Nov-16
"You can be on the education.org board without supporting Common Core."

She's not for Common Core because she's on Jeb's board. It's likely the other way around.

Betsy DeVos as Education Secretary: What you need to know about Trump's pick

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/11/betsy-devos-as-education-secretary-what-you-need-to-know-about-trumps-pick

24-Nov-16
Give it up, joshuaf.

I'm probably the last person on the CF to support you. But at some point, you need to recognize and admit that Trump just might not be the evil liberal you keep claiming he is.

To date, his appointments have been very conservative and limited government oriented.

Good and honorable men, of which I believe you are one, are big enough to recognize and admit this. Yet you are not.

Why?

25-Nov-16
Wait call the press, Jos is actually right for once. I have been doing some reading, DeVos is a Jeb supporting Common Core groupie, the DeVos Amway empire also sent a 150k or so to the Clinton Foundation. It looks she is not who she claims she is in regards to Common Core, but is for school choice.

25-Nov-16
Oh great, slade agrees with me on something, I think now I need to go take a shower.

And Kyle, I will continue to believe that Donald Trump is exactly the person he has shown himself to be over a lifetime of adulthood until he personally proves otherwise. And there is no way he can possibly do that before he's even sworn into office. And no, appointing Ben "I don't have enough government experience to be a cabinet secretary (even though I ran for President)" Carson to HUD isn't going to convince me. Nor is appointing Jeff Sessions (who I used to think was a Constitutional Conservative but I've believed for a while now actually needs his head examined) as AG going to convince me. Appointing Christie or Rudy (Liberals) to cabinet positions isn't going to do it for me, either. Appointing Romney as his Secretary of State would be a rare moment of sanity from Trump, but let's face it, Romney is still a Liberal GOP Establishment figure and it wouldn't prove anything about Trump other than that he's not the anti-Establishment figure some of his sycophants have dreamed he is. Appointing a Goldman Sachs man to be Treasury Secretary isn't going to do anything for me, either.

Now if he nominates Mike Lee or Ted Cruz to the Supreme Court and actually fights - HARD - to see that they get confirmed by the Senate for that position, then I might begin to soften my former view. But so far....no.

25-Nov-16
Who cares about your convoluted view? Neither Lee nor Cruz will EVER be nominated by Trump for the SC. I do not know where you received this new misinformation you somehow always uncover. Oh...Lee is on the "list". I see. Whacko.

The Rock

25-Nov-16
"I do not know where you received this new misinformation you somehow always uncover."

I never said he was going to nominate them, or was interested in doing so, nor do I think he is, or will. I just said it would take something like that for me to begin reconsidering my position.

25-Nov-16
So, joshuaf, Trump's nominees have to be 100% in line with your positions, otherwise they're either liberals or crazy.

Got it.

So good luck with that, because that guarantees no one will ever meet your la-la land standards.

The nomination of Jeff Sessions to be the AG is scaring the crap out of the left.

He's strongly against open borders, he was against TARP, he opposes same-sex marriage, and as the ranking Republican on the Senate Judiciary, he also opposed all three of Obama's SCOTUS nominees.

Better yet, as a result of his Judiciary experience, he knows intimately what's going on, that every single attorney appointed to the DOJ by Obama is a hard-core liberal. He also knows where the bodies are buried. Not just at the DOJ, but in all the targets of the investigations DOG has pursued.

25-Nov-16

slade's Link
Yep, 100% in alignment.

“Sen. Lee has not endorsed Donald Trump and has no plans to do so,” Lee’s spokesman told Breitbart News after Lee made headlines for suggesting that his Party’s standard-bearer is “religiously intolerant.”

By contrast, in an interview with the anti-Trump Huffington Post, Lee oozed praise for far-left Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), a potential VP contender for the Democratic Presidential ticket and avowed Trump opponent. Lee described Warren as “captivating,” “smart,” “talented,” “formidable,” “persuasive,” and a “hero” to Democrats.

25-Nov-16
slade,

There is nothing in those remarks by Lee that in anyway implies he agrees with her on ANYTHING.

25-Nov-16
"The nomination of Jeff Sessions to be the AG is scaring the crap out of the left."

Sessions' backing of Trump while there were still actual conservatives in the race for the GOP nomination seriously called into question his conservative bonafides. Either that, or he did so as a purely political action because he thought it was folly for his political future in Alabama if he did not back Trump. Either situation is disgusting to me.

Any potential cabinet nominee who backed Trump when there were actual conservative choices still available for GOP nominee, would have a hard time getting my backing. A lot of people have been revealed during this election campaign to be something other than what they pretended to be. Both politicians and voters.

25-Nov-16
Nva, you are as bad a Jos when he comes to twaddling a response without reading the link.

25-Nov-16
Fortunately, an incumbent president or president elect doesn't have to meet everyone's approval on cabinet picks.

27-Nov-16

nijimasu's Link
I'm not a union member, but 'm a teacher of 20 years. What little I know about this appointee's experience does not look good to me- very, very limited experience within public education; very pro "school choice" - which, as noted above- the majority of educators in the trenches (myself included) see as the destruction of public education.

If you believe school choice is a good thing, you likely would support her, though, and you would be right in doing so for that reason. I doubt many on this board, at least the ones that post regularly, sit on the fence on this issue; we're pretty renowned for being pretty set in our opinions. But for the benefit of lurkers sitting on the fence, I'll attach a link which articulates "the problem with choice" which I largely agree with. Read it if you're wondering why educators (union or otherwise) understand school choice to be a bad thing- and by the associated leanings of DeVos, believe her to be an even worse choice than Arnie Duncan was, if that's possible.

27-Nov-16
slade,

As your links are pretty much always undocumented crap, I see no reason to read them.

27-Nov-16
mistaken post

28-Nov-16
KPC, you do have a point- the author's reference to Article 26 supporting that statement of education rights is not from the US Constitution but from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which is not the same as US law (though I might point out that every country that outperforms the U.S. in education has a constitutional or statutory commitment to this right).

That being said, the US Constitution's 14th amendment (equal protection clause) does however guarantee that when a state establishes a public school system, that no child living in that state may be denied equal access to that education system. Putting that in place of the author's reference to "right" isn't a stretch in my book. You might consider reading past the two short introductory paragraphs after all- if you indeed consider the 14th amendment of the US Constitution to be valid.

28-Nov-16
Pretty much all opinions written by a [federal] judge incorporates part of the Constitution into it. As far as the right to a free education (established by a state), I'm pretty sure there is a legal ruling or opinion out there on it and it cites, as mentioned, the 14th Amendment.

The Constitution itself does not have specific language in it about education.

28-Nov-16
"every country that outperforms the U.S. in education"

1. Is pretty much a mono culture

2. Does not score as well on tests as people who immigrate to the US from those nations.

28-Nov-16
Nva,

Isn't it about time you feeble Know-Nothings learned to do something besides twaddle spite, wallow in bitterness and Glying?

29-Nov-16
LOL! "wallow in bitterness" heheheheh.... oh my..... too good..... so self aware....

Golly gosh, such hostility and anger...... parents threaten to start charging rent for the basement???

29-Nov-16
slade,

"Isn't it about time you feeble Know-Nothings learned to do something besides twaddle spite, wallow in bitterness and Glying?

You're a complete azz. But I'll give you credit for one thing. Although you called me (and others who agree with me) 'feeble Know-Nothings,' at least you didn't call us 'butt-wipes' or 'poo-poo heads' as others with third grade intellects like yours would do.

29-Nov-16
TD, I thought you were going to quit stalking my posts. No surprise really, we can ad liar to your resume of bitter spiteful but-hurt carnival barker groupie. hehehehehe

29-Nov-16
Nva,

Let's get it straight, I only called you a feeble know nothing....

29-Nov-16
slade,

Sorry, azzhole , but you wrote "you feeble Know-Nothings", which is plural, not singular.

Not that you, with your third grade intellect, would know the difference.

30-Nov-16
From the all over the place twaddle you post I wanted to include all of your personalities.

30-Nov-16
Competition will ALWAYS make things better and cheaper. Public Education in this country is a monopoly and anti-freedom so I am against it. I think every parent should be given a voucher and then they can pick the school they want to send their kids to. If the public schools are great they will be full if not they will fade away.

30-Nov-16
Isn't this gal in bed with Jeb Bush and common core?

30-Nov-16
"TD, I thought you were going to quit stalking my posts. No surprise really, we can ad liar to your resume of bitter spiteful but-hurt carnival barker groupie. hehehehehe"

Long as you don't call him Glie, TOT boy....;^)

• Sitka Gear