Rocky 05-Dec-16
Bentstick81 05-Dec-16
30-Nov-16
Oh my.

30-Nov-16

joshuaf's Link
"Trump takes credit for saving Ford jobs that weren't going to Mexico"

30-Nov-16
What new inducements were offered to Carrier to keep some of their jobs in Indiana, and who will be paying for it? Was it Trump's magnetic personality that induced them to stay, a threat of nearly 40% tariff on importing their products from Mexico to the US, or something more $ub$tantially tangible that was offered to them? And what is to keep other large corporations now from threatening to go to Mexico so that they, also, can be offered some "tangible" reasons to stay here?

Corporate Welfare, gotta' love it!

30-Nov-16

joshuaf's Link
"In exchange for keeping about 1,000 jobs in Indiana, the company will receive new government incentives"

"new government incentives"=Taxpayer Cash, in one form or another.

I'm old enough to remember when a lot of Republicans thought the Government shouldn't be in the business of picking winners and losers.

30-Nov-16
Joshuaf is like the monkey who craps on whatever they can't tear up.

30-Nov-16
Bowfreak X2!

30-Nov-16
Education is power folks. Critical thought is a good thing.

If you remember Trump said the economy is better under Democrats.

Government incentives are the way this stuff works and always has.

30-Nov-16
gflight, It is 1932 and the country's unemployed who are demoralized is sweeping the nation. Theodore Roosevelt and Robert Fechner devise the CCC . " ....just a hand, no a JOB, to help the people get back on their feet when they had thought all was lost". The program was the most successful of all social programs in America at a time that was essential to lift the moral of the country.

Critical thinking? Sitting on their hands, as the status quo in Washington, is about to get some dirt under its nails. Trump is moving all things in the right direction to the chagrin of some here. Every Trump Triumph is a indication of how out of tune people can be to a sweet sound.

The Rock

30-Nov-16
I don't have a problem with the Government giving incentives to keep business and jobs in the USA. The economy will get paid back many times over because of those incentives.

30-Nov-16
I saw one of Carrier's employees on TV this morning. He said he was thrilled and Trump took time away from his family, on a holiday, to meet with Carrier. He said Mike Pence has worked for a long time behind the scenes to make this happen. He said this makes his Christmas and wants to shake Trump's hand tomorrow at the factory. He said he lives in an area that is heavy in democrats and he doesn't know how many voted for Trump but he knows some democrats that did vote for Trump because they were tired of politicians.

30-Nov-16
Incentives are the way to go if it makes economic sense. I'm sure Pence and Trump made a good deal but will be savaged by the msm.

30-Nov-16
Wow..... a continuation of politics as usual. Government should provide an environment where businesses can thrive OR fail, not pick which ones thrive. And the "conservatives" rejoice and join in a virtual circle jerk.

*sigh* shakes head sadly....

Name calling to commence in 3-2-1...

30-Nov-16
Bowbender, no name calling from me. I'm just willing to give Trump a chance to help save jobs here in the USA.

30-Nov-16
"...tired of politicians..."

And that is the main factor of why Trump won.

30-Nov-16
^^Couldn't agree more.^^ With Hillary, you knew exactly what you were getting - Obama 2.0.

30-Nov-16
The govt incentives are not in the form of tax payer dollars but being allowed to be on govt contracts. Carrier does business with the govt as many companies to and want to continue to do so.

30-Nov-16
Bowbender, Count no more .

When a cat utilizes their litter box they cover up their excrement when they have completed. NEVERTRUMPERS, such as yourself and many here are now forced to use that same "litter box"| to cover up their own excrement that was on display in their choice of candidates in the primaries, the general and now in humiliating defeat as Trump continues to raise eyebrows. Keep talking in negatives it fits you well. Apply the latter analogy however you please to yourself and your buddies of like mind.

The Rock

30-Nov-16
I'm ok with it as long as York, Trane, Skil-Aire and whatever other companies get access to the same incentive. Government's role is to work to make sure we have the freedom to race and maybe pave the road out to the track. Picking who wins the race is not their role.

30-Nov-16
Choosing those who are "willing" most certainly is the common denominator. Why would the government offer blanket coverage of incentives and limit those incentives to just HVAC companies. Hell, cover the entire spectrum of all corporations. Right. Carrier was positioning themselves to further decay Indianapolis which has taken a unprecedented loss of jobs and the economy of which was in the tank to begin with. Trump did not section them out as friends.

Trump could piss 24 kt. golden rope on some people and they will complain they are getting wet.

The Rock

30-Nov-16
Rock,

First of all, you ain't near as deep as you think you are with your sophomoric analogies. I voted for Trump, held my nose whilst I did it, but voted for him nonetheless. I fail to see how questioning politics as usual as being negative or a "nevertrumper". If I wanted the government to pick winners and losers I would have voted for a continuation of the failed Obama policies and voted for Hillary. Your failure is that you can't see past the choice you've already made and therefor are unable to even question your own choice. Whatever, clean up when you are done.

30-Nov-16
I have no idea what the going rate is for receiving a golden shower, but I can confidently say even a bladder's worth of 24 kt gold would not interest me. I won't judge what other consenting adults do in that regard.

30-Nov-16
"I fail to see how questioning politics as usual as being negative or a "nevertrumper"."

And therein lies the rub Tom; your actions do not put you in either category, however, the handy, repeatedly dispensed sobriquet ("neverTrumper") eliminates the need for answers to your questions even being considered, let alone provided.

I'd place it one notch above the old parental adage to the questioning child, "because I said so." Who knew our parents had the ultimate debating tool all along.......

30-Nov-16
+1 Glunt LOL

30-Nov-16
Bowbender,

You are right. What else can I say?

The Rock

30-Nov-16
As stated above.... if whatever this is was for ALL these companies across the board then it could be argued as an honest deal. If only for this one..... well, guess lots of folks thought Obama's deal with GM was just awesome....

I don't know what the deal was, or what someone who is not even in office can do or promise. If it is current contracts threatened..... I don't believe the President has the constitutional authority to do so? But then many of his supporters clearly would wizz on the constitution, 24K or not, even as they railed about Obama doing so. Possibly make some backroom deals with Congress?..... (wouldn't that be politics as usual?)

As stated, I'm not letting those on the sidelines with the pom poms tell me what I should be thinking about the game I'm about to watch that hasn't even started.

30-Nov-16
"I don't know what the deal was, or what someone who is not even in office can do or promise."

I read a story today that United Technologies (UTX), Carrier's parent company, which has beaucoup Federal Government contracts supplying jet engines to the U.S. Armed Forces, decided that this relatively small thing with Carrier wasn't worth incurring the wrath of the new administration (i.e., they didn't want to take any chances of endangering their supply contracts with the Military), and that, combined with the new government subsidies offered by Trump/Pence caused them to decide to keep part of the Carrier workforce in Indiana. For the time being. Though they're still sending a bunch of those jobs to Mexico.

30-Nov-16
Government should create a business climate which is competitive re. taxes and regulations.

Beyond that, they have no business being involved in commerce and/or picking winners and losers, nor in offering special deals for any business in any way. PERIOD!

30-Nov-16
Kyle, How do we convince off shore money to play back into circulation which creates research and developmental positions which begets employment in the lower and middle brackets? A promise and a kiss?

The Rock

30-Nov-16
Rocco,

Money goes offshore because the tax climate is far more reasonable than it is in the USA.

Thanks to Obama/Pelosi/Reid, we have the highest corporate tax rate in the world, which is really a tax on consumers, as corporations only collect taxes, they do not pay them.

Thus, high corporate income taxes are paid by consumers, thereby encouraging companies to manufacture what they make in Mexico, China, Taiwan, et.al.

American workers are more productive than any other workers anywhere. So if you reduce the costs of doing business in the USA, you'll bring jobs back to the USA and thereby increase employment and wages.

30-Nov-16
Kyle,

That may have been true at one time In America but the landscape has changed dramatically from our heyday of brick and mortar factories. Electronics has ushered in a new wave and workforce that is not compatible to the American ideal of manufactured production for profit without a complete refitting. Thus the rush to leave for companies to profit. This attempt to return jobs in VAST numbers that will impact economic growth will be something to behold. I personally do not think it is possible without government involvement and investment.

The Rock

01-Dec-16
Hackbow, You most certainly are dependent upon the government everyday of your life or have convinced yourself of another fairy tale ending. No need to explain this to a successful person as yourself. Where do those successes reside BTW? ;-)

The Rock

01-Dec-16
JTV, An appropriate title for a thread...and yes " Thanks to Trump". The man is "Making America Great Again" BEFORE he becomes the POTUS. Long live the King. Never in the history of this country and never attempted by the greatest POTUS has so much been accomplished before taking office, including the Republican god of all gods Ronald Reagan. This should twist some of the idiotic balls around here pretty good, and myself, who relishes in breaking them. ;-)

The Rock

01-Dec-16

gflight's Link
Gflight from above... Education is power folks. Critical thought is a good thing. If you remember Trump said the economy is better under Democrats. Government incentives are the way this stuff works and always has.

Rocky, "gflight, It is 1932 and the country's unemployed who are demoralized is sweeping the nation. Theodore Roosevelt and Robert Fechner devise the CCC ."

I see us at the same point but maybe this approach........

NVA "Rocco, Money goes offshore because the tax climate is far more reasonable than it is in the USA. Thanks to Obama/Pelosi/Reid, we have the highest corporate tax rate in the world, which is really a tax on consumers, as corporations only collect taxes, they do not pay them. Thus, high corporate income taxes are paid by consumers, thereby encouraging companies to manufacture what they make in Mexico, China, Taiwan, et.al. American workers are more productive than any other workers anywhere. So if you reduce the costs of doing business in the USA, you'll bring jobs back to the USA and thereby increase employment and wages."

"Trump nominees map out plans for tax cuts, trade and Carrier-style negotiations"

President-elect Donald Trump’s nascent administration on Wednesday began outlining the contours of its strategy for jump-starting the nation’s economy, including how it would overhaul the tax code, rethink trade agreements and directly negotiate with major corporations.

Treasury secretary nominee Steven Mnuchin rejected claims that Trump’s tax program would benefit mainly the wealthy, instead highlighting plans for a child-care tax credit and a middle-class tax cut.

“There will be no absolute tax cut for the upper class,” he said on CNBC. “There will be a big tax cut for the middle class.”

On Wednesday, Trump’s new economic team said that overhauling taxes — particularly cutting the corporate tax rate — would create incentives for businesses to invest and hire more workers, eventually resulting in higher tax revenue.

01-Dec-16
85% of lost manufacturing jobs has been due to technology, not loss of jobs to other nations.

01-Dec-16

01-Dec-16
The average salary for Carrier employees is $30.19 per hour. The state would have had to pay over 6 million dollars in unemployment the first six months. Good deal for the state and the employees. Merry Christmas for them.

02-Dec-16
Solo, I can see now that the reason you love Trump is you don't care if he's constrained by the bounds of the Constitution or of a commitment to small, limited Government and a free-market driven economy.

02-Dec-16
And Mr. Accuracy weighs in yet again with his BS.

02-Dec-16
One very useful service that Donald Trump has performed in this election campaign (and I said this repeatedly all the way back beginning in the primary campaign) is in outing people who claimed to be or perhaps even themselves thought they were Conservatives, as actually not Conservatives at all, at least if by "Conservative" one means someone who loves and adheres to the Constitution and principles of limited Government and a free-market economy.

02-Dec-16
Well Solo. You heard Mark Levin whining, now you get to listen to the silver spoon boy, Josh, whine. CF's top whiner.

02-Dec-16
Trump said the economy is better under Democrats. That is the way he is going to play it.

No One will change Government interference in the economy especially with our reality show voters here in the U.S.

I see this as better than the alternative and both parties agree the tax code is to complex and money is going overseas.

The amount of unrepatriated foreign profits reached $2.4 trillion, according to Citizens for Tax Justice, allowing companies to avoid up to $695 billion in taxes. The total for foreign profits is up from $2.2 trillion the previous year, according to the advocacy group which reviewed the Securities and Exchange Commission filings of Fortune 500 companies. Apple, Microsoft and Pfizer increased their stockpile of overseas profits the most.

02-Dec-16
This carrier deal was not a slam dunk 100% victory for jobs in America, nor was the negotiation with Ford. BUT they are both positive changes, and an important step in the right direction. You can almost feel this big ship starting to turn with better hands at the wheel. Trump's speech was great last night. Positive, patriotic, and damn near uplifting. And ya know.... i feel optimistic about America's future in a way that I have not felt in a very long time.

02-Dec-16
Josh, why don't you take your examples, you typed previously, to Indiana, and show them to the employees, that were about to lose their jobs? See what they think of your BS. Oh, that's right. You don't have the ba!!s to. If the roles were reversed josh, bet you wouldn't be very happy. Glad the employees are keeping their jobs. It will be a very thankful Christmas for 1,000 people. Hillary would've turned here head the other way, just like you josh.

02-Dec-16
"Liberalism will call on them again, they have to be ready to serve their master."

Your kidding right?

Liberals typically believe that government is necessary to protect individuals. You guys are portraying that his actions are not liberal or YOU are not the one supporting Liberal Policies. Talk about Bizzaro world......

President-elect Donald Trump on Thursday warned that the government would punish companies seeking to move operations overseas with “consequences,” setting the stage for an unusual level of intervention by the White House into private enterprise.

That is a Democrat folks.....

02-Dec-16

From the story:

"The president-elect warned Gregory Hayes, the chief executive of Carrier’s parent, United Technologies, that he had to find a way to save a substantial share of the jobs it had vowed to move to Mexico, or he would face the wrath of the incoming administration."

People. It is not the job of the U.S. President to threaten a non-Governmental employer with negative financial consequences because they are taking action to protect the financial health of their company. Period. If you think it is, you are not a Constitutionalist, you're not a supporter of Free Markets, and you're not a Conservative. And you're also pretty fuzzy on basic economics.

A bunch of Partisan Hypocrites and Democrat wannabe's have been hiding in plain sight here for quite some time apparently.

02-Dec-16
Got to defend Trump the King.

Some people are enamored by their betters. Look at the cult following of the first "half black" president. No objectivity from these folks....

02-Dec-16
"That is a Democrat folks....."

No Gerald, that is a fascist. The fact that "conservatives" are actually advocating such policies is sickening. Cue up the "nevertrumpers", "butthurt", and other inane tripe.

Solo,

"On my way home this evening, I heard Mark Levin whining about this, and yelling how it's not a president's job to be 'making deals' with free market businesses. But I view this from a different angle than Mark does.

I say, it IS a president's job to reason with American corporations that threaten to harm our workforce like this. But the reality is that not just any man is able to reason with other businessmen on this level. "

Point to the clause in the constitution that authorizes him to pick winners and losers. You know, like Obama did.

His job is to help create an environment where ALL businesses can thrive OR fail based on a market driven economy.

02-Dec-16
Indiana gave up 7 million over 10 years to keep 500 million in wages in-State over 10 years. The math makes sense, lets just give everyone equal access to that math. Government needs to get out of our way. In the long run it will result in more tax revenue and a better economy for America. If they aren't already, Carrier competitors and and every manufacturer should be drawing up their plans to move jobs off shore, whether they really plan to or not. You need chips when its time to play poker.

02-Dec-16

gflight's embedded Photo
gflight's embedded Photo
"The rest of don't need to defend Trump, that's not what we're doing."

You so funny.....

02-Dec-16
I know I am just a rube compared to the Know-Nothing Butt-Hurt political genesis's , so splain how Trump is using "Presidential Executive Orders with his Presidential Pen and Phone"

02-Dec-16
I'll just say its easier to walk away from a negotiation with the results you want when you leave 7 million dollars of someone else's money behind as payment.

02-Dec-16
errr ahhh you clearly stated "Executive Orders" so try again or is this like the empty "strong arm", "threaten" twaddle you fling about based on empty pantie twisting rhetoric of what if's, could be's, might someday's, possible so's?

02-Dec-16
Hackbow,

With each succeeding post you are discounting the useless reams of paper that you have never learned. You appear to be the quintessential boy at the dike with eleven holes to fill, all within arms reach, two thumbs eight fingers and a quizzical look. You are comical and I like your style and choice of recreation. Continue to post and do not allow proof reading to sway you otherwise. Departing from serious engagement appears to be your playground. The things you say. You are funny and amusing. ;-)

The Rock

02-Dec-16
As a tax paying citizen I'd be mighty pissed at Carrier moving jobs to Mexico if they are getting 6 billion in govt contracts.

As a CFO, I have let vendors know that if they use our competitors they can expect our business to go to a vendor that is more of a partner to us. Why would I give business to a vendor that doesn't support me back?

02-Dec-16
he he he he he he.......keep going. The dike is just within reach.

slade, You have reduced this man to the babbling run on sentence that he is. His recent post is a classic example of losing control. Shame on you slade. You do not seem to realize the meaning of the word DEBATE. he he he he he.

The Rock

The Rock

02-Dec-16
Hackbow,

Damn. Don't take everything so seriously. I get ripped on the CF from pillar to post and many times, some would say most, it is warranted. Shrug it off. You can't hate Trump that much.

The Rock

02-Dec-16
All this nonsense about Trump threatening Carrier with tactics that are not supporting free enterprise supposedly making Reagan turn in his grave. Bah!

Maybe what Trump did was TOTALLY in support of free enterprise and conservative principles. All he had to say was that whatever cheap labor angle you are playing is going to be changed and that advantage likely taken away soon. So it would therefore be the best free enterprise and capitalistic approach to stay here. Plus the good will you will get via Trump's bully pulpit.

US companies leaving for cheap foreign labor and a lack of regulations is free and fair game? But Trump making the case that those advantages are going to be reduced and the American market improved is some horrid strong arm extortion? So silly.

02-Dec-16
Dang nabbit Solo do you realize your interfering with their fear giving right to twaddle sky is falling doom and gloom?

I guess butt-hurt logic forbids one from looking at all of the free publicity Carrier gets for saving American jobs. Nope, not only are the Know-Nothings political geniuses, they are also Marketing savants.

05-Dec-16

joshuaf's Link
For anyone who doesn't understand why the Carrier deal isn't good, and sincerely wants to understand, I would strongly recommend you take 5 minutes and read this very detailed article that looks at it both from an economics standpoint and a crony capitalism standpoint.

The Costs of Protecting 800 American Jobs

follow link, formatting in the original won't allow for easy copy/paste here.

05-Dec-16
Well josh, this genius you put on here, just to read his OPINION, on the carrier deal, proves one thing. His opinion is a joke. He has spent 14 years in Washington, and jobs have been leaving the US ever since. So, his ideas have really proven that it doesn't work. He sounds like your woman your trolling for, except hillary has been in politics for 30 years, and she hasn't done anything either.

05-Dec-16
Five minutes? If that article requires five minutes to read and understand then a round of golf on 7200 should take eight days ;-)

The Rock

05-Dec-16
"His opinion is a joke."

Here is some advice for you: it is better to be silent and let the world assume you are illiterate on how Free Market Capitalist economies work, than to open your mouth and remove any doubt. Whoops, too late. Guess I should have mentioned that as a caveat when posting the link.

"Five minutes? If that article requires five minutes to read and understand"

It did for me, and I understood it just fine. Maybe I see part of your problem.

05-Dec-16
Josh, all you do is get opinions from people on the internet, and think they are facts. 14 years in Washington DC, pretty much did it for me. Once again, his opinion is a joke.

05-Dec-16
josuaf.....Five minutes? A little advice. Steer clear of War and Peace. ;-)

The Rock

05-Dec-16
josh, you are right, i don't know that much about how the FMC economies work. But, its obvious that your predictions, which you haven't got one right throughout this election, pretty much shows you don't know what the he!! you are talking about, either. So what does this say about you? A Phony fits just fine.

• Sitka Gear