gflight 02-Dec-16
joshuaf 02-Dec-16
slade 02-Dec-16
Kathi 03-Dec-16
Anony Mouse 03-Dec-16
HDE 03-Dec-16
WV Mountaineer 04-Dec-16
30-Nov-16
This guy isn't even in office yet and wants to lead people to believe he will subvert the 1st and 2nd Amendments....

It isn't unusual for politicians, especially some of the more nakedly authoritarian politicians, to call for reversing the First Amendment. But this might be the first time one has suggested that flag-burners should lose their citizenship. Flags may be a symbol of national identity, but that's taking things kind of literally.

The late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia stressed that flag burning is protected by the Constitution — even if he doesn't think it should be.

In 1989, the Supreme Court handed down a decision in Texas v. Johnson, which found a man named Gregory Lee Johnson had a Constitutional right to burn the American flag during the Republican National Convention.

My hope for a SCOTUS judge is fading. I hope he doesn't interview his sister.....

30-Nov-16
as repugnant as I find the act of flag burning I have to agree.

30-Nov-16
Scalia also said something like if he was king flag burners would be put to death. Both Scalia and Trump know this won't and shouldn't happen but it's their personal feelings.

30-Nov-16
I heard Scalia say, in Denver, that he was the deciding vote in the flag burning case, but "if I were king, I'd put that bearded weirdo in jail." That's an exact quote.

30-Nov-16
So it was O.K. for President 0Bama to say the police acted stupidly because it was his personal feelings?

Wrong is wrong when it can lead rabid followers like some on here to possibly kill people...

30-Nov-16
I'm with what Dem. Senator Joe Manchin said on this the other day, paraphrasing;

"Burning the flag is protected under the Constitution. But if you do it in front of me, I'll beat the hell out of you."

30-Nov-16
I doubt if Trump is as serious with his statement as the media would have it spun.

Too many think and react to Trump as if he were playing chess. He's playing a different game...different rules.

Two things: Hillary actually supported legislation WRT flag burning.

And...Trump's statement will just encourage the soros-funded far out wacko's to burn more flags--further alienating them and the Democrat party from America. Many of us commented about Obama, Hillary and their cohorts being puppets with Soros pulling their strings.

Trump is the left's new puppet master...and they are just too dumb to realize it.

30-Nov-16
A moment which will live in baseball history:

30-Nov-16
It will take awhile for folks to understand that what Trump says doesn't translate into what Trump will do. It is frustrating his supporters and his detractors. Calling him out for flip flopping on a campaign promise doesn't seem to have much effect and calling him out for saying stuff that would sink other politicians doesn't have much effect either.

He won't be pushing for criminalizing flag burning, he won't be building a 40' wall, he won't be appointing a special prosecutor to go after Hillary, etc, etc.

He might do some good stuff, but anyone who wants to hold him his hyperbole was setting themselves up for disappointment. Whether they are trying to hold him to to because they loved what he said or because they hated what he said.

30-Nov-16
at least he isn't making fun of retarded people and making offensive comments about women in front of the press so far today..

30-Nov-16
Freedom of speech only goes so far. If burning a flag will incite a riot and cause chaos or present a clear and present danger, you do not have that right.

Shout "bomb!" or "gun!" in a busy airport terminal and see what happens...

30-Nov-16
True, but inciting a riot and presenting a danger to others is already covered by laws. Watching people burn the flag disgusts and offends me but its important that it remain legal.

30-Nov-16
Not only is Trump the left's puppet master it's obvious as evidenced here on the CF he's also the Never-Trump chain puller.

30-Nov-16
So the defense is "you can't believe a word he says"???

geez.... where have I heard that before......

30-Nov-16
You just can't let it go, can you?

Anyone who has ever disagreed with or even dared questioned Trump on anything, for any reason, even if they later supported him and voted for him, is to be disparaged, called childish names, and denigrated.

You are one sorry piece of work!

30-Nov-16
This coming from the snide bitter know-nothing who lambasted any Trump supporter from day one, go play victim somewhere else snowflake.

You were wrong get over it. hehehehehehehe

30-Nov-16
Presidents can say whatever they say. No matter what they say, their powers are still held in check by the constitution. They are not king.

Many of you predicted after each election of Obama that guns were going to be rounded up. Do you believe that if he could have done that, that he would? Well, he couldn't and he didn't.

Just because Trump goes on a tirade, even if he would like to do something, doesn't mean that he has the power to do it.

30-Nov-16

elkmtngear's Link
Now that we have a majority in the House and Senate, maybe it's time to re-visit this:

30-Nov-16
You just can't let it go, can you?

Anyone who has ever disagreed with or even dared questioned Trump on anything, for any reason, even if they later supported him and voted for him, is to be disparaged, called childish names, and denigrated.

You are one sorry piece of work!

30-Nov-16
Flying the flag upside down has more meaning...

30-Nov-16
I agree with Trump and I suspect most people do. This is in the least sedition and at the most treasonous. BTW do felons lose their citizenship? I know that they are not allowed to vote. Also , how did an act of sedition and disrespect of our country become speech. Last I heard, Speech is an audible./ Burning a flag is an act or aggression against every patiriot and the blood shed of patriots. Scalia was not God, and the Supremes have gotten it wrong many times./ Rowe vs Wade allows the murder of human beings. The court was and is wrong . Its so funny that many of you say smoking a joint is a crime but burning a flag has the anointing of the court and therefore is acceptable. Its not. God bless, Steve

30-Nov-16
From day one Trump has said what many say and feel. It will be a constant with his 8 years of office. It will be accepted or overlooked die to him saying what many want to hear. It will be similar to Obama constantly fighting against those oppressive bureaucrats who are ruining your life. 8 years and they never associated Obama with the problem....only that he cared and was working hard to fix it.

30-Nov-16
In my opinion the SC got it wrong but that's just my opinion.

As for Trump trying to change law or step on the constitution. I don't think he will. He has alternative motives for saying that. Just like the wishy washy part on hillary. Why tip your hand.....

01-Dec-16
Good grief.... it's an object.... a symbol. Burning it does exactly what? What someone may feel is disrespect? This reeks of what the left wants to do about their hurt little feelings. So some from the right think exactly the same way..... people will be people. THAT is why we HAVE a constitution and rights. We aren't supposed to lose them because somebody is "offended". Otherwise..... give em all up. They all will offend someone.

Do people really believe in a constitution and inalienable rights? Or do they just want someone to do their dirty work for them and enforce agreement through law????

Reeks of burning a Koran in an Islamic state. And stands as a vivid testament as to why we are so much better with freedoms than they are with draconian authoritarian rulers. Socially.... politically.... flag burners will get what they deserve. Legally they have every right to make a statement or protest as they see fit if nobody is harmed.

Saying hurt feelings and disrespect is harm.... sounds pretty snowflake to me.

01-Dec-16
As much as I hate to see someone burn a flag, TD has a good point. Taking away liberties is a slippery slope.

01-Dec-16
"as repugnant as I find the act of flag burning I have to agree."

Never understood how it's a form of free speech. In burning the flag one is saying we need to burn the nation down. I've always considered it an act of war.

01-Dec-16
Agreed Thumper. Burning the flag is action, not speech. And it should be considered an attack on our nation, an act punishable by our laws. I hope this foolishness is changed by a future SCOTUS.

01-Dec-16
This is a philosophical conundrum. The flag that cannot be burned for fear of penalty represents no system worthy of a flag. Accordingly, a person burning the flag of a system that protects his right to do so wholly discredits his protest.

The whole issue is nothing more than mercury in a thin glass tube. An instrument of measure. And it's best left that way.

01-Dec-16
"Never understood how it's a form of free speech."

Symbolic expression.

My Flag flies at my house and they burn theirs. I am not about to take my flag down it is my right.

Freedom is letting other people do things you don't like.....

01-Dec-16
Banning flag burning damages the flag worse than someone actually burning one.

As Owl stated, the irony of of an America hater legally expressing themselves by burning the flag may be lost on them, but not on many of us. They are usually railing against some type of perceived oppression and not realizing or recognizing that the fact they can legally do it is a giant symbol of freedom.

01-Dec-16
""Freedom is letting other people do things you don't like....."" Priceless

01-Dec-16
Omigod, Trump said THAT??!!!??

I’m growing fatigued of the bloggers who post everything Trump says as a clarion warning to their readers that HE’S A FASCIST AND HE’S GOING TO (fill in the blank with whatever stupid thing they are worried about.)

Listen, dum dums, Trump can say, “I think flag burners should be deported, ” and it doesn’t mean “Trump is going to deport flag burners!!”

If you know of a way that Trump’s beliefs can automatically become policy in America, let us know, otherwise, stop with your shoddy and stupid reporting after every Trump utterance.

Personally, I’m happy we have a president who thinks flag burning is an abomination which deserves deportation as a consequence. It doesn’t mean he is going to deport flag burners, and it doesn’t mean I would like to see him try and deport flag burners. I respect the 1st amendment, but it’s not required of me to be happy about everything people say and do.

Presidents have always stated opinions that aren’t policy, nor are they policies they pursue. It’s a symptom of Trump derangement syndrome, sufferers sitting on every remark and then running around screeching that “Trump is going to make a law that lets everyone grab everyone by the pu$$y!”

02-Dec-16
Well... it would help a great deal if he didn't, you know.... say he would deport them, or take away citizenship.... or put them in jail.....

Why not say what a sane person would say.... "I don't like it...." something along those lines??? Too much to ask? Apparently so when following a reality show script.....

Gonna be a long four years for the apologists and interpreters ........ Good luck to you. Hopefully you don't spin yourselves into the ground, among other things.... like lose your soul....

Maybe if you made tag teams.....

02-Dec-16
Personally, I oppose flag burning in every way. I don't see that as freedom of speech at all. It's destruction and anarchy. You want freedom of speech, write a nice poem about how much you hate the country or its flag. Sing a song. Write a letter to the editor. Stand on the street corner and yell. THAT is freedom of speech.

I hope Trump appoints some new judges and they take a second look at this.

02-Dec-16
"Listen, dum dums, Trump can say, “I think flag burners should be deported, ” and it doesn’t mean “Trump is going to deport flag burners!!”"

So you don't think 0Bama saying the police acted stupidly had any impact?

Got Character?

02-Dec-16
The court should be consistent which it is not. Burning the flag is considered free speech but burning a cross is considered intimidation. States can outlaw cross burning, a historical symbol of hate, without violating free-speech protections in cases where the perpetrator is trying to intimidate or terrorize someone, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled Monday. The 6-3 ruling upheld a Virginia law and similar bans in other states, including California.

I think burning the flag is intimidation the way the left is doing it these days.

02-Dec-16
So Mint,

Would you support a rebel flag ban?

02-Dec-16
Mouse is apparently following the Corey Lewandowski school of explaining how things that Trump says don't actually mean anything. Unless they do. But we shouldn't expect things he says or promises to be actual things he believes or intends to do. Or something.

02-Dec-16

slade's embedded Photo
slade's embedded Photo

03-Dec-16
When Obama said the police acted "stupidly" he was the President of the US. If and when Trump said flag burners should loose their citizenship or be deported he wasn't and still isn't the President of the US.

However and let me throw this iron into the fire...with Obama's comments and continual comments about race and Police Officers he started a firestorm of actions that will take a long time for the US to get over. If ever we do.

Trump, if he did say the things that he has been purported to say may light up social media but to the best of my knowledge hasn't caused any deaths. I find some of this difficult to believe because if Americans are burning flags and I'm sure they have...where are they going to be deported to? Burn flags if they must...as long as it's not my flag.

03-Dec-16
03-Dec-16
0bama can get away with anything because his suits are made of teflon.

If someone wants to burn a flag in protest, then whatever. But you only have yourself to blame when someone takes you to task on it.

04-Dec-16
I'm mixed on this. Because actions are not speech. And, the First Amendment covers speech. Not actions. I also agree it is a slippery slope probably better left as is. Nothing more than a debate. I also think the left uses it to intimidate, Incite violence, etc....

I will say burning a flag in my presence will cause harm. Because I'll literally stomp the guts out of anyone I see burning it.

• Sitka Gear