WV Mountaineer 14-Dec-16
Woods Walker 14-Dec-16
Chief 419 15-Dec-16
Anony Mouse 15-Dec-16
Woods Walker 15-Dec-16
Chief 419 16-Dec-16
Woods Walker 16-Dec-16
30-Nov-16
Them pumping more oil into the market and decreasing it's sale price cost me my job (and career) earlier this year. So what if it is cheaper at the pump. Over 6,000 people had to leave my hometown area because of it. So what if it was cheaper at the pump!

You can thank the selfish greed of E&P CEO's and investors for the high price in the first place, increasing domestic storage, then causing OPEC to do what they did in 2014.

I'd rather have a good steady paycheck and pay a $1 more at the pump then try to figure out what you will do next, or how you will pay for health insurance, or buy groceries, or put shoes on your kids' feet.

Trust me, it could be a lot worse...

30-Nov-16
HDE, You are not alone. Many people are suffering these days in the wealthiest nation known to man. Keep the immigration doors open though and spread our wealth on the undeserving. Hope you see light soon.

The Rock

30-Nov-16
$1.00 more at the pump per gal? that's a significant amount for me, My fuel bills run + - 2k monthly. When diesel starts into the 4+/gal range it makes it very tough to stay employed.

30-Nov-16
Rocky, thanks. Fortunately, the light is already shining, just not as bright as it once was or the same brand of lightbulb.

It's still a struggle for a lot of folks. I know people who are still out of work.

bb, I hear what you're saying. But, hopefully, with the increase in fuel prices you see an increase in economic activity as a whole to offset that. Without it, it's tough.

30-Nov-16
HDE, it doesn't work that way for me, when fuel prices climb I have to adjust my prices, Freight companies have to adjust their prices ( Motor freight companies a part of my expense) etc. etc. domino effect. The end result, people buy my product less and make due with older systems. I realize i'm looking at it from just my perspective, but to me, that's all that matters. I think most people feel that way.

30-Nov-16
I'm retired and on a fixed income so I hate the fuel prices going up.

30-Nov-16
bb, I know what you're talking about. When I started out in field services, we would put a fuel surcharge on the ticket when fuel prices started to jump. Fuel is one of those commodities that is highly price elastic. However, the companies we did work for were making money hand over fist because natural gas prices were $8 / mscf. Later it rose to as high as $14 and surcharges kept being put on, yet oil prices were more suppressed. Fuel prices were relativly stable, per se.

Because fuel is highly price elastic (consumers react quicker with price fluctuations) it takes longer for other things to catch up. Your customers aren't making the money they need to to offset the price increase you have to do.

JTV - bring it on! I'd love to see the rig count go up. High fuel price is because of a lower oil supply. We have it, problem is, labor in the USA isn't cheap. It takes a higher oil price to produce and refine domestically, ergo, a higher price at the pump as well. E&P companies need to learn to operate at a stable price point like the power utility has to. $70/bbl would likely be that point and make things predictable long term.

Shuteye, I'm not retired yet, but on a fixed income as well.

But what do I know, just my opinion and it ain't even worth $.02.

30-Nov-16
I could buy a new truck instead of driving my 94 GMC K1500 but there is nothing wrong with it. The way I look at it, gas price is the least of my worries because I save not purchasing a new truck.

30-Nov-16
I hate paying higher fuel prices but oil at $70/barrel for an extended period of time would allow the fracking industry to evolve even further. $150 oil brought a lot of entrepreneurs into the game. Without those prices we wouldn't have domestic production where it is now. OPECs greed could eventually lead further to their demise.

30-Nov-16
I read an article about how American oil companies have lowered the cost of production over the last two years to the point where this cut by OPEC will not have as much impact as they may want.

BTW, if it is their oil any free market person should say that they can choose to sell or not sell it as they wish.

30-Nov-16
After wages, fuel costs are my highest fixed operational cost. When they get in that $3-$4 range it hurts my sales because I can NOT compete with another company that is closer so my marketable area decreases. When I have to tack on an additional $40-$50 a day to my rate to cover a 45-60 minute drive to a job I get outbid.

01-Dec-16
The frac'ing industry has been around now for over 60 years. It is improved completions technology and force of hand because of higher prices that have increased the activity levels.

A stable price would do more good than harm.

The lowered cost if production is the building and placing of infrastructure (gathering stations, tank batteries, pipelines). Before that, a lot of the oil was being trucked, enter the variable of high fuel cost we have been discussing.

01-Dec-16
This is why I have a Honda Civic for running to the grocery store and anywhere there's pavement when I'm not hauling anything and then a Dodge 2500 for when I need to haul or get somewhere the Civic can't get to. When gas prices are high, it is cheaper to have two vehicles with one being a truck and the other being a rice burner, than it is to have one vehicle that is a truck and your only means of transportation.

At one point, gas got up to over $5.00/gal in California. It's still near $3.00 now. Blows my mind when I see a bunch of 1 ton 4x4 trucks at the grocery store in the summer. What a waste.

It's rough though, when a truck is a must for work and a lot of you guys have no way out of that. Still though, my brother is a general contractor and my dad is a subcontractor and they've both gone the same way and have a heavy truck and a commuter. So many times, bids, repairs, running around, you just don't need the big truck.

If we could decrease our consumption in this country, we could give the middle finger to the Middle East for good. A year or two of us not buying any of their oil and they'd be begging us to buy it for $10/gal.

01-Dec-16
LOL, $10/gal = $420 bbl. Just messing with you. I know what you meant.

01-Dec-16
Ike,

Why not increase our production? It is so much easier than decreasing consumption. One thing that was proven during the oil glut is that we can ramp up production WAY faster than the "20 years before it makes a difference" mantra that liberals have used my whole life. Not only did US production increase significantly in a short time, it did this with basically no help from a government that was downright oppressive to fossil fuels.

01-Dec-16
We need to produce out own oil and not import oil from OPEC.

Hasn't Iran increased their production?

01-Dec-16
Bowfreak is correct. Hole digging and production increased without the help of the federal government.

That increase was on what is called fee/fee which is private surface/private minerals, or fee/state. Only state regulatory agencies are involved and makes it easier to get things done.

01-Dec-16
I ageee with HDE. Everyone loves cheap fuel, unless you work in oil and gas. Bring on 3$ gas as well as jobs,jobs, drilling and more jobs. I've kept my job but a raise would be nice.

01-Dec-16
Did freight prices go down when fuel dropped?

01-Dec-16
The fuel surcharges are gone. At least with the carriers that I use.

01-Dec-16
I think the right answer has been said by someone - refine and use our own and let the world do for themselves.

I don't think I'd export any. What I would export is the surplus of NG. That could be globally traded for something else.

I put full blame on the regulatory federal gov't and deep pocket/greedy CEO's. The company I used to work for has one of those...

01-Dec-16
Well for starters, we can do without the ethanol in the gas, where the government is artificially propping up the corn growers.

01-Dec-16
Unfortunately, it's as (geo)political as anything else.

bb - very good point. That will in turn decrease some feed price, and consequently save on some food expense with us stretching our dollar a little further.

01-Dec-16
I'm in oil & gas and will tell everyone that the industry has been decimated by these low prices. I know it's popular to hate oil & gas companies but, most oil & gas companies in the US simply cannot make a profit at these prices. Oil & gas companies are leveraged to the hilt in debt right now. Many are going out of business. Those people wanting cheap prices and energy independence can't have it all. Something has to give.

Here's how oil & gas exploration companies work. They look at seismic data and production trends in the area where they have rights and are looking to drill. When a promising area is found, they estimate the costs to drill the well, develop the facilities & pipelines to produce the well and also estimate the reserves to cover their investment. Those economics are based on the current price of oil & futures at that point in time. In the times where oil is approx. $70/ BBL or more, the US oil & gas industry is booming. The companies accumulate debt during increased drilling and development periods. the companies don't recoup their investment overnight. It takes anywhere from 2 to 5 years to actually profit from a well depending on various factors.

When the price goes down to current levels, the companies carry that debt and are unable to pay it off. They don't spend money on development and the production rates begin to fall off. The lower production rates and the lower prices are a double edge sword that adds to the debt. This is especially true in the shale plays throughout the US.

When the the price per BBL is trading over $90, the oil & gas companies start making the obscene profits that people hear about. Even then, those companies are accumulating debt based on economics at that time. The contractors that support the oil & gas companies during the good times are raising their rates, the price of steel and materials is high, etc. So it's a vicious cycle.

The rag heads in the ME are the biggest enemy of the US from energy independence standpoint. Throw in a liberal administration whose created crippling regulations and you have a recipe for disaster in the O&G industry.

With cheap oil & gas prices during the last 2 years ask yourselves why the economy isn't going gangbusters? Why hasn't the cost of consumables that are transported daily gone down?

Didn't mean to go on a rant here. All most people know about oil & gas is that its in the pump every time they stop to fill up. I hope this help some at least understand what's happening to the industry right now and how it works. That's just the Upstream side of the O&G business. There's Midstream and Downstream as well. Each operates on a different set of rules.

01-Dec-16
I have a lot of buddies and customers that work in the industry. Aside from the taxes, the cost of regulation is unbelievable. They all say that same figure of $60 - $70/ BBL is where things can keep rolling and allow companies to risk some new infrastructure. The other big factor is stability. Its tough to risk millions or billions when your plans can be torpedoed by a new new administration in 4 years.

01-Dec-16
Yep, Chief summed up what I used to do from staking and onsiting the well, prepping and submitting the APD, overseeing the drilling of the well, and running some production ops before all this nonsense happened.

As far as cost recovery, like he said, it depends on what the product price is today and tomorrow along with NPV calcs and production declines to know what the payout of the well is. A cyclic price and boom/bust cycles that seem to occur every ten years makes this difficult.

One thing, hopefully, that could happen is refiners (downstream) could retrofit their facilities to refine our domestic crude and recover that cost quickly by buying the oil in storage cheaper. Then you'll see oil prices increase and stabilize more long term. Approval of LNG facility permits (sitting on the desk of the POTUS) would greatly benefit the natural gas industry as well.

Even though I was not asked, my opinion is we will see an increase in activity in the near term as in mid to late 2017. The BLM for public lands has just implemented a change in the Offshore Orders that hinder O&G operations so it is things like this that will need to be navigated through first. I do not believe it will be overnight.

01-Dec-16
They're cutting their own throats.

First, what they'll gain with a price increase, they'll lose in revenue because they'll be selling less.

Second, and most important, is that this will create an increase our domestic production, creating more jobs and making us even more energy independent.

Moreover, OPEC must be freaking out with the latest discovery in Texas, which is reported to the second largest oil discovery ever.

01-Dec-16
Kyle is correct.

Also...for those of you in the O&G industry I understand completely your concern but what is the percentage of people that are economically tied to the O&G industry booming in the US? I am assuming it is less than the people who's lives are negatively effected by higher oil prices. Hence....more people will see $4 gas as a negative than a positive. Areas where incomes are depressed, even when the cost of living is also low, are really hit the hardest. If 20% of a guys income is expendable and he make $5K a month it is much easier for him to absorb a utility cost doubling vs. a guy who has the same percentage of expendable income on $3K/ month.

01-Dec-16
"$3/gal. gas is a killer around here...a lot of families cant afford it...and no I'm not buying a damn lib mobile because of milage, I get 20mpg which is fine...dont make sense, drop 10-20 k on a new car, have payments and have to carry full coverage, thats more than what the gas is for the years you have to make the payments...aint gonna happen..... " Now imagine all that with losing your job in oil and gas or taking a pay cut. Oil is what makes this world go round. What you describe is better than what many in oil producing states have had for the last year.

01-Dec-16
No, I agree Bowfreak. A lower gasoline price is certainly a necessity for anyone. But, the O&G industry needs a higher price to boost activity again and then ride at a set point where Mr. and Mrs. Consumer and Business Owner can function comfortably. The petroleum industry, like anything else, can set it's own price ceiling and self regulate it's price based on the CPI. They do not have to make the ridiculous profits of yesterday. The CEO of the company I used to work at has a compensation of $7 million, and trust me, he ain't worth that by any stretch if the imagination. One word, greed...

As far as the "new" discovery in the Wolfcamp in TX, what that really is is that the reserves in place now have the recovery ability it never had before based on the proven new completion methods. But, to pay for that technology, you have to have a price of at least $60 to make it worth while, along with risking your investment properly. Cost of gov't regulation is yuge. That needs to go away first.

I say let interstate commerce work as intended and put a leash and muzzle on the wacko's protesting pipelines.

01-Dec-16
I agree...no government intrusion and see where the market takes us.

01-Dec-16
Trax, I wish I had a crystal ball. It depends on a lot of factors, the biggest being the price per barrel. Right now OPEC and Russia are calling the shots. OPEC's governments are funded by oil money, so how much longer they can go at these prices is anyone's guess. I have no doubt Trump will be good for the industry. Hopefully he kills the regulations that Obama has put in place since the BP spill. Obama has created numerous extremely expensive regulations that hit the O&G companies while they were down. When BESSE (Cops as their known) lands on an offshore platform for an inspection, the oil company is going to get an INC (Incendent of Non-Compliance) even if every safety device or piece of equipment is to the letter of the law. INC's range in severity of cost depending on the infraction. The Obama administration also forced the oil companies to provide surety bonds (insurance policies) to make sure the O&G companies remove every platform in the Gulf once its service life is over. Sounds fair enough right? They imposed this regulation when oil was trading at $42/BBL, a punch to the gut.

It's also important to realize that it's not just Chevron, Shell & Exxon out in the gulf and on land. There are numerous other independent oil & gas companies that don't have the deep pockets or resources that the big players do. They are the ones that are going out of business.

I like the lower fuel prices just like everyone else does, but those prices are unsustainable and eventually higher prices will come back. That cycle has played over and over since the 70's.

01-Dec-16
Spike - being in the oil and gas industry for many years (until now) drilling and producing wells on BLM (public) and USFS (heritage) lands has proven one thing: you will not get an approved APD or pipeline right of way until an extensive archeological survey, NEPA process, and public comment period is done. If the pipeline up in ND ran across tribal surface, the BIA would have reviewed the plan and put the kibosh to it if it threatened sacred lands. In all likelyhood, the BIA section of the local public land office reviewed it anyway because of the proximity of local tribes and did not see any issues with it. They are getting what they want - publicity.

I will be the first to recognize as a proponent of the oil and gas industry that the industry has done this to themselves with price/revenue problems and national perception. Drain the swamp and lose some of the "old school" mentality.

These protestors are just that. Their Civil Rights are not being infringed on.

JTV - I'd wager 0bamacare has had a larger impact for the most part. The main reason I was so quick to go back to work (in power plant generation now, blah!) was to reduce health insurance expense. $1000 per month and it wasn't even a great plan. Now that I have experienced that, I have a better idea of what I'm getting into when (X) I start a business next year. Also, you do have to live within your means. I've had to adjust and will agian if necessary...

01-Dec-16
Someone mentioned this a few posts back, I can't find it again but I'll mention it here. The ridiculous amounts of government regulations have got to be killing the gas industry, not just them but all businesses. Arguably egregious regulations do more to drive costs in business in general than any other single thing. Trump campained on eliminating choking regulations, I hope he does.

01-Dec-16
Yep, gov't does more harm than good, most of the time.

Can you imagine what will happen when the corporate tax rate is reduced to 15%?

01-Dec-16
JTV & Bowfreak - I completely understand your points. I don't enjoy paying $3 or $4 gallon either and I make my living in the industry. That's why in my earlier posts I stated that we can't have it both ways. Cheap prices will eventually lead to domestic supply issues in the US and more dependence on foreign oil. More dependence on foreign oil is what leads to higher oil prices. It's a never ending cycle. Enjoy the cheap prices while you can. The prices will rise again as they've always done. With the low fuel prices over the last two years everyone should ask the following questions:

1. Why isn't the US economy going gangbusters right now? 2. Why hasn't the cost of goods and consumables gone down?

01-Dec-16
Many fail to realize that it was too high energy prices that were the real cause of crash of 2008.

Government regulation is probably the second greatest factor impacting energy prices, only possible running behind the cost of acquisition and production.

01-Dec-16
Hank - Don't forget the biggest culprit of all - the OPEC cartel.

01-Dec-16
Chief, OPEC has the economic freedom to sell or not sell at any price they are able to get someone to pay.

01-Dec-16
Sorry, Henry. but the price of oil had little to do with the financial collapse of 2008.

The real culprit was, as usual, Democrats in Congress and the White House who required home loan institutions to give mortgages to people with little or no assets, little or no credit and therefore little or no chance of being able to pay back the loan.

But hey! Everyone one is 'entitled' to own a home. right? I mean, that's only 'fair,' right?

01-Dec-16
The high price of oil was like a huge tax on every transaction in the entire economy. You are correct about the reason the collapse was so hard in the housing/banking sector.

01-Dec-16
Henry, I couldn't agree more. The problem is that the US claims it wants to be energy independent. That will not happen at current market prices.

Spot on Kyle. The Clinton administration set the stage for the housing bubble. The bubble popped when Bush was President.

01-Dec-16
Let's not forget the repeal of Glass-Steagall

01-Dec-16
Wasn't there a new refinery just built in Port Arthur Texas?

Interesting discussion for sure. Being in the construction industry Oil and gas dictates that. I am curious how trump in office will change things. As our nation's need for more electricity will increase. I wonder if it will be in coal or.....

02-Dec-16
A new refinery hasn't been built in the US since the 70's. Motiva had a big expansion in Port Arthur in 2012 making it the largest. There are refinery expansions going on all around the country. It's near impossible to get the required permits to build a new refinery now. Expansions can be permitted though. The downstream market loves low oil prices because their margins are higher on the refined products.

02-Dec-16
And, they can recover invested cost quicker - just like E&P liking higher sell prices.

02-Dec-16
Very true Spike.

02-Dec-16
I understand what your saying chief. I must have misunderstood. Motiva is the one I am referring to. When I was at Valero there was work going on at motiva on a catcracker. They talked of a 2nd refinery going up in Sabine pass. It must have been this expansion then? I was there in 06.

02-Dec-16
Hey Fulldraw1972,

Do you know if there is a book that took up where "The Prize" left off?

02-Dec-16
Fulldraw, That must have been the same project you were thinking of. There's enough refineries that can be expanded or upgraded to meet whatever the US demand is. I don't see the need to build a new greenfield refinery at this time.

Since 2008, the World economy has been stagnant and I think that the oversupply that we are seeing is result of less demand. At some point that will change. Rates will go down, demand will increase and prices will go up. The vicious cycle will continue. I didn't make the rules....

02-Dec-16
Hey Slade, I have no idea. Sorry I was in a hurry. To finish my post. I wonder if it will be coal, wind, solar, nuclear and or natural gas.

Trump campaigned to put coal workers back to work.

10-Dec-16
Hundreds of thousands of people out of work and businesses shut down because of low oil prices.

My question is: when do we start? And prefer to not relocate with the ability to work from home...

10-Dec-16
Tell the government and local entities to drop their taxes. That's the problem. Not oil costs.

I pay 55.4 cents per gallon of local, state, and federal taxes. Take that away and my gas price is $1.55/gallon. If they dropped their rate by a combined 50% it would leave profit margins larger, allowing a more stable market for employees and employers. But, they aren't going to do that as they are a disease. You can blame OPEC. However, the problem is our government and local municipalities. God Bless men

10-Dec-16
The reason we should decrease consumption is that the responsible thing to do is to leave some fossil fuels for our children and grandchildren - and beyond.

10-Dec-16
Last few posts - very valid points.

14-Dec-16
I agree with Kyle on the reason for the 2008 collapse. I'm in the building industry, in the front trenches so to speak.

14-Dec-16
I would caution the industry to not jump out to quickly. Oil needs to get stabilized in the high 50's to low 60's first. Activity too early will just suppress the price further.

As far as gasoline prices, yes, the gov't has way too high a tax imposed to keep people from consuming "too much"...

14-Dec-16
"The reason we should decrease consumption is that the responsible thing to do is to leave some fossil fuels for our children and grandchildren - and beyond. "

Ike,

We aren't running out of oil anytime soon. Matter of fact, I don't think it is possible. I don't believe what we have always been told about oil and I believe it is produced from the core of the Earth. I believe the science given to us daily on fossil fuels is similar to the same junk science we were given for global warming. Many scientists from other countries laugh at our general consensus that oil is non renewable.

Regardless....oil is being discovered constantly and the most recent large discovery in Texas is said to have enough oil to be the sole supplier for the US for almost 3 years. Thats just one oil field.

14-Dec-16
JTV - you couldn't be more right!

14-Dec-16
I agree. Trump does too.

On another point made, Main stream Science say's fossil fuels aren't renewable but, claims that layers of sedimentation formed it. Kinda backwards and contradicting. Science says topsoil takes thousands of years to produce. Really? I can make it in a couple months. Etc.... I agree with Ike that we need to be responsible but, totally disagree with anyone that says we are not being by aggressively utilizing the resources this earth provide's. God Bless men

14-Dec-16
I would like nothing better than for us to be able to tell the Arabs that they can keep their damn oil. Then we can watch as their economy tanks and they have to go back to eating dates and camel shit.

15-Dec-16
The libtard greenies will continue to protest and shut down exploration on Federal lands as well as off of the East and West coasts. No one wants oil & gas in their back yard, but they like going driving to the grocery store and buying food that was farmed, raised and transported there using oil. Arabs are the rudest bunch of feral humans on the planet. The world would be a better place without that species.

15-Dec-16
From Nature 24 November:

Texas Tea

A massive deposit of untapped hydrocarbon deposits, thought to be the largest ever in the United States has been discovered in Texas. The Midland Basin of the Wolfcamp shale area contains an estimated 20 billion barrels of oil and 1.6 billion barrels of natural gas, the US Geological Survey said on 15 November...

15-Dec-16
DRILL BABY DRILL!!!!!

16-Dec-16
We're starting to see an uptick in upstream work (drilling and production). An uptick in midstream (pipelines & storage) should follow in a year. I'm on the engineering side in both sectors so we're among the first to start working again. Can't wait to get back to work.

16-Dec-16
You and a lot of other people Randy!

This is one of the primary reason's why Trump was able to cross traditional party lines and win.

A lot of people finally saw the complete bullsh*t in the old lie of the Democrats being the party of the "working" man.....as long as you aren't in the coal, building or oil/gas industry to name a few.

• Sitka Gear