Anony Mouse 05-Dec-16
Anony Mouse 14-Dec-16
Woods Walker 15-Dec-16
tonyo6302 15-Dec-16
tonyo6302 15-Dec-16
01-Dec-16
:)

01-Dec-16
Mad Dog is a great pick, we will have a real military again.

01-Dec-16

01-Dec-16

JayG@work's Link
I don't know. I hear lots of good things about Mattis, but,,,,, he is the same guy who wouldn't release any helicopter medevac support after ODA 574 had a JDAM dropped on them. Special Forces lost some great guys that day. Mattis didn't help at all. The Marines didn't assist with troops in contact on the order of Mattis. RIP MSG Jefferson (Donnie) Davis, SSG Brian Prosser and SFC Dano Pettithory. God bless you Brothers.

01-Dec-16
There you go another negative being spread about something that was " heard"

The Rock.

02-Dec-16
Not heard jackass.. I know the people who were on the ground. I knew two of the dead.. Read any account of it... Read the link. Apparently, when Trump said that he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Ave and not lose a single supporter,,, you are one of those guys.

02-Dec-16

BowSniper's embedded Photo
BowSniper's embedded Photo
Love the idea of Mattis as SecDef. All the veterans I know are speaking about him with true admiration.

02-Dec-16
BTW, as for Mattis, I do hope that he does a good job. I have heard loads of good things about him. I just have also heard some not too good things about him, which as the article said, may have been his only mistake, I do hope it is. Other good picks would be LTG Boykin, I have nothing but admiration for him. Gen Carter Hamm would have been a great pick as well.

Contrary to what some think, I do hope and pray for the success of the Trump administration. I hope that this country will get back some of the greatness and prestige around the world that we have lost in the past 8 years.

I wish for nothing but success, but I also wish for the Constitution to be adhered to and the government to get out of people lives... I don't know if that is going to happen.

02-Dec-16
Rocky,

Please quit spreading hate, the article in the link clearly states " May Have Been".

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” – from a speech Mattis delivered to Marines arriving in Iraq in 2003. This is widely acclaimed as the ultimate Mattisism, winning extra cool points for being compatible with Patrick Swayze’s famous advice to new bouncers in Road House.

“No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote.” – probably the other most widely-repeated Mattisism, it has been quoted in contexts ranging from the Iraqi troop withdrawal to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in World War II.

“You are part of the world’s most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon. Share your courage with each other as we enter the uncertain terrain north of the Line of Departure. Keep faith in your comrades on the left and right and Marine Air overhead. Fight with a happy heart and strong spirit.” – from a letter Mattis wrote to the 1st Marine Division, the day before they began their assault on Iraq in 2003. He is restated his point about using your head on the battlefield many times; another popular formulation was, “The most important six inches on the battlefield are between your ears.”

“From our first days at San Diego, Parris Island, or Quantico, NCOs bluntly explained to us that the Corps would be entirely satisfied if we gave 100%, and entirely dissatisfied if we gave 99%. And those NCOs taught us the great pleasure of doing what others thought impossible.” – from a speech Mattis gave when receiving the Marine Corps University Foundation’s 2014 Semper Fidelis Award.

“Now from a distance, I look back on what the Corps taught me: to think like men of action, and to act like men of thought!” – from the same 2014 Semper Fidelis Award speech.

“I’ve never found it to be useful. I’ve always found, give me a pack of cigarettes and a couple of beers, and I do better with that than I do with torture.” – Mattis’ thoughts on waterboarding, according to Donald Trump.

“Every morning I woke up and the first three questions I had, had to do with Iran, and Iran, and Iran. It remains the single most belligerent actor in the Middle East.” – Mattis on Iran, from an April speech to the Center for Strategic & International Studies

“You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn’t wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain’t got no manhood left anyway. So it’s a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them.” – Mattis on the Taliban, at a 2005 panel discussion in San Diego, California. This one caused some trouble for Mattis. Marine Commandant Gen. Michael Hagee defended him, but said “should have chosen his words more carefully.”

“There are some people who think you have to hate them in order to shoot them. I don’t think you do. It’s just business.” – Mattis choosing his words more carefully, after the above-mentioned controversy.

“The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot. There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim. It’s really a hell of a lot of fun. You’re gonna have a blast out here! I feel sorry for every son of a bitch that doesn’t get to serve with you.” – Mattis drawing an important distinction between assholes and sons of bitches to a group of Marines in Iraq, as quoted by Thomas E. Ricks in his book Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2003 to 2005.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f**k with me, I’ll kill you all.” – Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders, also quoted by Ricks in Fiasco.

“In a country with millions of people and cars going everywhere, the enemy is going to get a car bomb out there once in a while. There are going to be good days and bad days. Bottom line.” – Mattis on the grim realities of counter-terrorism operations in a 2007 interview. He was talking about Iraq, but unfortunately his observation would be valid anywhere.

“I think it’s very clear that this enemy has decided that the war, the real war for them, will be fought in the narrative, in the media. This is not a place where we’re going to take the enemy’s capital and run up our flag and drink their coffee and that sort of thing.” – from the same interview.

“Marines don’t know how to spell the word defeat.” – proudly cited by the USMC as the retired General’s salute to the indomitable spirit of the Corps. Misusing this quote to tease Marines about their spelling abilities is not recommended.

“I get a lot of credit these days for things I never did.” – Mattis on his own legend, to midshipmen at the Naval Academy in 2004. He also gets a lot of credit for things he never said, as hilariously satirized in a Twitter hashtag full of phony #MattisQuotes. (A sample: “Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.”)

02-Dec-16
I sure hope he stops this gender integration madness. Women should not be a Marine Infantry Officers, Rangers, SEALs, Army SF, PJ's, Combat Controllers, Force Recon, etc. etc.

Doing so lowers the standards and the effectiveness of the units involved and it's proven.

02-Dec-16
I don't think women belong on the front line fighting but when it comes to flying jets and choppers they are just as good as the men.

02-Dec-16
If women want to be in those front/behind the lines operations, then they ALL need to start signing up for selected service (Draft). Make that happen, and you will truly find out if they should be there, because EVERYONE will then voice their opposition to that. If they truly want equality for the sexes, let's start right there.

02-Dec-16
I don't want to sound sexist, but women have no business in the Combat Arms. If they need to continue to push this, then at least the women need to be able to meet the SAME STANDARDS as the men, and I'm not talking about being able to score the same score as a man on his Physical Fitness test, I am talking about doing the same work and the same standards as a man is expected to perform at.

An example, women in Ranger School. Ranger School was a 2 week Pre-Ranger, then you were shotgunned down to Ft Benning and you were in the course. You could recycle two phases but not the same one twice. After that, you were gone.

The three women who passed Ranger School had a 4 month train up for the course. They were trained in Land Navigation and used the actual course they were going to be tested on. (They all ran the course they were tested on over 4 times before the actual day of the test)

They all failed all phases over three times and some were Day 1 recycles, which meant that they did so poorly that they were sent back to the first day. All in all, at a minimum, that whole social experiment was a total waste of taxpayer money because we had several female Captains and a Major, not doing their jobs and sitting in training..

By the way, this is not me talking shi,,, I mean smack, but I have never seen a woman who could do what I did when I was in the military. I have worked with some women who were amazing, but none could carry the weight or move it the distance that we had to go.

02-Dec-16

JayG@work's Link
BTW, here is another account of the issue with delaying the medevac while SF guys were dying on the battlefield........ I don't know Amerine, but I did know MSG Jefferson (Donnie) Davis and SFC Daniel (Dano) Petithory. God bless them, De Oppresso Liber.

03-Dec-16
Not sure how this went from Sec. of Def. to women in combat but I agree with you guys. I'm 67 and I was in the USAR, a firefighter and wrapped up my working life working at the Ky. State Reformatory. Women are 99.9% of the time just plain physically weaker than men. Flying aircraft etc. is all well and good but should there be a need to evacuate said airplane things could get a bit rough once you fall into the hands of the enemy. There are plenty of good jobs for women in the military but I just don't believe foxholes and hand to hand are some of them.

03-Dec-16

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo

03-Dec-16
Everyone makes mistakes. No one can have all the answers and, better yet, there isn't always a right answer. That goes for cards and, most certainly, in a situation involving people trying to kill one another. If a man's careless, thoughtless mistake leads to the needless deaths of American solider's, then by all means crucify him. If he made a mistake in battle that led to American military deaths, from the position he was in, then let him live with it alone. No need to point it out from the bleachers.

What isn't debatable is this man's character and American pride. We all know what we will get with him. He isn't a careless movie character that lives to win emotions. He is a tactician. A thinker. A battle tested, hardcore American that has lived the life that books and movies are written about. What more could America ask for? God Bless

03-Dec-16
Two Years ago, I would have agreed that Women in Combat was OK...but that was when my Daughter went through Marine Infantry Training, and sustained a labral tear in her hip. She was one of the first 50 Women to attempt it, and she failed the last road march because of her injury. She just received stem cell injections to attempt to repair it, but there's still a chance she will be medically discharged if it doesn't improve in 6 months. She was one of the lucky ones, some of her friends sustained dual hip fractures, and will probably never have natural childbirth. They make no concessions because you are a woman, you carry a man's pack, loaded with 80 pounds of gear, plus the weapon and flack jacket. And, they shouldn't make concessions, the training is a simulation of what is needed in extreme combat situations. The Secretary of Defense completely ignored the Marine Data when they made the decision to open up Combat M.O.S. to Women.

Here is one of my favorite interviews with James Mattis:

03-Dec-16
I have a big problem with women's physical abilities to handle heavy aircraft.

When I flew for SAC, every routine training mission included refueling up and back, re. being the tanker one way on the track, then turning around and getting gas from the other ship on the way back down the track. Or vice versa.

When you're refueling, auto-pilot does not come into play. The pilot manually controls the aircraft.

In rough air, I've seen big and very tough men sweating bullets and totally exhausted at the end of a :20 refueling leg when they were flying the ship that was taking on the gas. I doubt one woman in a thousand could fulfill that part of the mission in rough air.

03-Dec-16
My friend and fellow bowsiter Skip Polak (StikBow on the Leatherwall) served with Gen Mattis. I asked him what his thoughts are on the man. This is the email he sent me.

" Rick, Spoke to him this past summer. He called me to set up fishing this spring-probably not going to happen. He and I were in the 7th MEB-HE AS ONE OF THREE INFANTRY BATTALION COMMANDERS AND I WAS THE ARTILLERY BATTALION COMMANDER. We worked on pushing my batteries waaay forward, sometimes in front of him, so we could support the rapid push he expected. He is as good as you read, but D.C. May never be the same as he suffers fools not at all. I would fight beside him anywhere as he has the ability to focus on an objective and assimilate all matter of ancillary information in his plan. Hate to be his enemy How ya doing?"

Sent from home

03-Dec-16
elk,

I am truly sorry to hear about your daughter and hope her situation makes a complete recovery. That would be difficult for me personally.

Gods speed to her,

The Rock

04-Dec-16
Iktomi,

Are you jerking our chains?

JayG wants us to believe MadDog is a incompetent screw up according to something that "May Have Been" and a link to a NBC hit piece .

04-Dec-16
"My friend and fellow bowsiter Skip Polak (StikBow on the Leatherwall) served with Gen Mattis. I asked him what his thoughts are on the man. This is the email he sent me. " Rick, Spoke to him this past summer. He called me to set up fishing this spring-probably not going to happen. He and I were in the 7th MEB-HE AS ONE OF THREE INFANTRY BATTALION COMMANDERS AND I WAS THE ARTILLERY BATTALION COMMANDER. We worked on pushing my batteries waaay forward, sometimes in front of him, so we could support the rapid push he expected. He is as good as you read, but D.C. May never be the same as he suffers fools not at all. I would fight beside him anywhere as he has the ability to focus on an objective and assimilate all matter of ancillary information in his plan. Hate to be his enemy How ya doing?""

Yep, that's the man for the job. God Bless men

04-Dec-16
Craig, no chain jerking at all....

04-Dec-16
SLADE, is your name Richard, or Dick for short? I don't want anyone to think that Mattis is a screw up. But I do know that there are better people out there for the job. One thing a lot of people don't understand is the face of warfare has changed.

The Global War on Terrorism is an asymmetrical war, with no clear theater of operation. Having a background in unconventional warfare is what is needed to be able to effectively counter the threats that this nation will be facing. A Secretary of Defense who has a strictly conventional mindset will have a hard time adapting to such a fluid environment.... Sorta like how Les Aspin dropped the ball in Mogadishu and got lots of great guys killed, three of which were friends of mine.

LTG Boykin, ADM McRaven or any others with a background in Special Ops should have been looked at and not just a guy who got on the Trump Train early. Heck. Stanly McChrystal would be okay as Sec Def. This isn't about politics to me or smacking people who don't believe as I do in the face because of spite. To me it is about the nation and the security of it, as well as the Constitution. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMO, we either are on the edge of the cliff, or we have already gone over the edge, (You won't feel it until you hit the bottom) And we need to un-F, I mean unscrew this thing before we implode and having people who are in high positions because they are loyalists, or donors instead of being good at what they do, has gotten us to where we are today... I pray for this nation. I want this nation to succeed.

05-Dec-16

Mad dog's embedded Photo
Mad dog's embedded Photo
The Original Mad Dog, Mike Mad Dog Curtis All-Pro MLB for the Colts late 60s in to late 70s. Look him up on youtube. Kicked Ass ...would've made a great soldier too. Gen. Mattis is the man of the hour. Does anyone here think he won't be faaaaar better than that Harvard powder puff, "Ash" Carter, who never even Laced on a pair of boots? Go Dog! Matt

05-Dec-16

Mad dog's embedded Photo
Mad dog's embedded Photo
The Original Mad Dog, Mike Mad Dog Curtis All-Pro MLB for the Colts late 60s in to late 70s. Look him up on youtube. Kicked Ass ...would've made a great soldier too. Gen. Mattis is the man of the hour. Does anyone here think he won't be faaaaar better than that Harvard powder puff, "Ash" Carter, who never even Laced on a pair of boots? Go Dog! Matt

05-Dec-16

14-Dec-16

15-Dec-16

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo
I saw this and thought of Mattis..........

15-Dec-16
Wat that a critical thought ?

15-Dec-16
Roger that, Spike.

The Missus, dog, and I are bugging out right now to our safe house. We will tremble there, in fear of the CPTP.

• Sitka Gear