JayG@work 02-Dec-16
MT in MO 02-Dec-16
Glunt@work 02-Dec-16
Thumper 03-Dec-16
orionsbrother 03-Dec-16
WV Mountaineer 03-Dec-16
Shuteye 03-Dec-16
02-Dec-16
So I was just thinking. There are several clothing designers who have said that they refuse to make an inauguration dress for Melania Trump because or their political views. Tom Ford, Ann Klein and several others have come out saying that they won't even consider making a dress for the Trump inauguration because it is against their political beliefs.

So as I recall, there was a Christian bakery that was vilified, sued and fined $135K for refusing to make a special cake and participate in a same sex wedding based on their RELIGIOUS beliefs. As I also recall, there is something in the 1st Amendment about,,,, Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

So I am thinking that if the bakers got screwed,,, I mean sued and fined for not wanting to participate in something that goes against their religious beliefs, which is a protected right "endowed by our creator". I think that the clothing designers who refuse to provide their services based on political beliefs, which are not protected under the Constitution, should be sued and fined $135K for discrimination as well.

Just a thought. Be well all. Jay

02-Dec-16
Political beliefs are protected. The 1st amendment protects free speech, the press, to assemble and petition. The 1st protects lots more than just religions.

It would be interesting to see where it went if he did sue though...

02-Dec-16
Nope. Political beliefs, speech, etc are protected, but they are protected from the Government infringing on them, not from clothing designers refusing to do business with you.

Trump would be in the wrong just like it was wrong to rule against the bakery. If Trump won, it would be another miscarriage of justice. But, It would be fun as a way to make a point as long as it could be undone and not stand as a precedent.

03-Dec-16
Or, just copy the Obama menastration and have the IRS pay them a visit...lol

What we can do as conservatives is banning together and not doing business with a LWL business. It works, I saw where the CEO of Starbucks was forced to step down because of their empty parking lots while The lines at Chic-fil-A were out in the streets and around the block.

03-Dec-16
I do not want a continuation of the consolidation of power in the executive branch. I do not want the IRS, EPA, OSHA, EEOC etc continuing to be used as cudgels against political opponents. This country has been emulating a banana republic. That needs to stop.

I think that Trump has an opportunity and obligation to call this out though. The parallels to the bakery case might just allow some to recognize the hypocrisy. Laws need to be applied equally.

03-Dec-16
I agree Jay

03-Dec-16
I certainly wouldn't eat a cake that a bakery was forced to make for me and I bet Trump's wife wouldn't want to wear something that someone was forced to make. It would probably be as ugly as the stuff Obama's wife wore.

• Sitka Gear