Shuteye's embedded Photo
Blue Jay
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Blue Jay
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Squirrel
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Squirrel
I always take a camera and have as much fun taking pictures as I do hunting. I shoot more deer with a camera than I do with a bow or gun. I was thinking about that this morning when I got the turkey picture. These pictures were all taken the last couple of days.

31-Dec-16
Used to take a video. Camera along years ago. Even made some hunting vides complete with music and voice.

31-Dec-16
I always have two cameras with me on my hunts; a Panasonic Lumix and the one on my iPhone.

31-Dec-16
Kitty2 photo kitty3_zpsbinougxu.jpg

I used to carry a separate video camera that takes stills, but my phone is much lighter and does a decent job, so it's usually all I carry.

This was taken on a turkey hunting setup, from about 8 feet.

Best of Luck, Jeff

31-Dec-16
Jeff, that would be scarier than a bear climbing your tree stand.

31-Dec-16
 photo bear_zpsyj6dsgkn.jpg

Lol Shuteye....had that happen once as well...many years ago. Wishing I had a camera at the time...

31-Dec-16
Jeff, I saw a video one time of a bowhunter touching a bear's nose with a broadhead to make it go back down the tree. It worked. One thing nice about a camera is I can show my wife and hunting buddy the small bucks I didn't shoot. A couple years ago I let a small 8 point walk right under my tree stand and only took a picture. My hunting buddy could see me from his tree stand and told me later, you better shoot em' when you see em'. That evening I watched the same 8 point walk right by his stand and he didn't shoot it either. You know what I told him when we walked out to our trucks. BTW, I ended up with a really nice buck and a fat doe from his property.

31-Dec-16
Jeff,

You had a lion at 8' and you decided to............ take pictures???

Yours are a lot bigger than mine! lol

31-Dec-16

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
I always take a camera with me.

31-Dec-16
Beautiful shot, Mike!

01-Jan-17
I leave my phone in my truck. If I kill anything then I take pictures. I'm too busy hunting to take pictures. I don't sit in trees, or anywhere else for that matter when I hunt.

01-Jan-17

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Craig, my neighbor, took this picture. He is great with a camera and has travelled all over the country videoing hunts and taking pictures. He is excellent with bow and arrow and has made lots of kills. He called me one time from out near the Great Lakes where he had killed turkeys in two states. He wanted to know if i liked Salmon since he had some time before he started home and had a chance to go fishing. A couple days later he showed up at my house with some great fillets, all iced down.

01-Jan-17
I always have my phone with its camera and a small camera with a small tripod set up to take field photos if I kill anything.

01-Jan-17
Once I had a small Sony movie camera. I set it up on a tripod inside a ground blind. I saw a deer coming and turned it on. When the doe was right in the middle of the picture I released a Jak Hammer broadhead. The doe took off into the brush. I poured a cup of coffee and watched the replay. I could go one frame at a time and the camera caught the arrow in flight. It showed the broadhead just as it hit right behind the shoulder and one frame showed just the fletching and the next frame it was gone inside. It was a pass through and I knew before I ever got out of my blind the deer didn't go far. I took the camera and tripod and did the blood trail and then set up the tripod and filmed my self going to the deer. I got that camera wet and it quit and I haven't had a movie camera since. It used cartridges and I don't have anything to play what I had filmed. To get it repaired would cost nearly as much as the original camera. The warranty said if it was damaged due to something I did it was very expensive. My fault for leaving it in the back of my truck in a rain storm. My cameras now have waterproof cases. When you shot an arrow and went a frame at a time you wouldn't believe how much an arrow bends when it leaves the bow.

01-Jan-17

sportoutfitter's embedded Photo
Closing hours of WV bow season 2016. Gonna ba a long 9 months

01-Jan-17

Let's try that again
Let's try that again

01-Jan-17
About like my season, upside down!

01-Jan-17
You musta' been hunting in New Zealand!

02-Jan-17
I wish I could afford that New Zealand hunt. Just a poor WV boy. My camera won't even shoot straight.

02-Jan-17
I keep a Canon Powershot Elf camera in my pocket, it doesn't have the lengthy power up time my phone does. I take pictures all day long of interesting things I encounter roaming the mtns for elk. My wife enjoys seeing what I encounter but won't hunt or roam the mtns when I hunt. Experience taught me to keep the rear screen facing against my thigh to protect it and it's been many many years since I last cracked one.

I could use my phone but I do not turn it on when out in the woods, it's for safety only should I have an emergency.

02-Jan-17
If I am hunting from a tree I use a Canon G 12, when hunting from a ground blind I use a Canon Rebel T6i with telephoto lens.

03-Jan-17

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
I always keep one handy.

03-Jan-17

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo

03-Jan-17
Rob, that must have been a big muskrat. hee hee

03-Jan-17
Pending WR! Haha

03-Jan-17

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
when I was doing a lot of bowhunting I let lots of bucks pass and shoot big does. I took pictures of small bucks. Here is one that I let pass a couple years ago and the guy, whose property I was hunting on saw it pass and said I should have shot it. That evening the same buck walked under his tree and he didn't shoot either. The posted sign is on my property, I was hunting with my neighbor.

03-Jan-17

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Toby and bow killed buck.
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Toby and bow killed buck.
This is the buck I shot with a shotgun the following year from the same tree stand where I took the other picture. I killed my buck with a shotgun in Delaware. The following morning my cousin Toby killed his buck in Maryland about 300 yards from where I killed mine. The rut was on heavy. A game warden helped track and get Toby's buck out of the woods.

03-Jan-17
Interesting shotgun in that picture. What kind?

03-Jan-17
Spike it is a Mossberg SPX tactical. It holds eight shells. Will shoot anything from target loads up to buckshot or slugs, 2 3/4" or 3". I have loaded it with all size shot and slugs and it never misses a beat. It is smooth bore so I use Remington Slugger slugs which are made for that gun. I can tear the center out of a target at 50 yards and have killed deer at that distance. Haven't shot further than that but the slug box says it will be 4" low at 100 yards. I always said I would never use a semi auto for home defence but I changed my mind after i got this shotgun. It never misses a beat and lots of police use it for tactical work. Any sight that will go on your AR 15 will fit right on top of this shotgun with no problem.

04-Jan-17

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
I enjoy taking pics of terrain and scenery in hunting areas, helps me remember all aspects of the adventure.

04-Jan-17
Rob, if I was hunting there I would have to have a fishing rod along. Bet there are some pike in there or trout?

04-Jan-17

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo

04-Jan-17

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Shuteye; Great fishing for both.

04-Jan-17
I like my Iphone for pictures and other. I've been able to take pictures of deer, bobcats, fox, coyotes, small game, and other interesting stuff while on stand. I keep it my hand muff where I can get to it easily and quickly. Pretty simple to use with one hand once you get the hang of it. I've gotten where I wear my hand hand muff even when it's warm because I can access the phone and other stuff easily. Zippered pouch I keep my shooting tab and wind floaters and a compass. But I regularly use the compass on the phone along with a weather app.

Plus if it gets really boring I can log into the bowsite and get a laugh or a chuckle. :-)

04-Jan-17
Rob, nice pike. I had a friend that was hunting Caribou up North and he had killed his Caribou and had time left. He said the guide brought out some fishing rods and he catching pike one after the other. He said the guide filleted one and seasoned it, rolled it in batter and deep fried it. He said it was delicious.

04-Jan-17
People don't like the pike because they are very bony. I can debone them in a few seconds. Most clients agree with me that they taste better than walleye.

05-Jan-17
Rob, Eastern Shore Chain pickerel are also very bony but I can debone them. Close relative to your pike but not nearly as large.

05-Jan-17
Great pictures Gentlemen.

05-Jan-17

Joey Ward's embedded Photo
Little buck I grunted in.

05-Jan-17

Let him get out of sight, then hit the grunt call again. He came back in under me. Fun to watch.

Holding a bow and trying to take a picture while not drawing attention can be challenging. :-)

05-Jan-17
Joey, I put screw hooks in my tree stands and can hang my bow, gun, backpack and camera. I always have one in each stand that is adjustable and you can swing your bow/gun out of the way.

06-Jan-17
I use those too, Shuteye. Very handy.

06-Jan-17

Bobcat caught me moving.

06-Jan-17

Then, it's always nice to have a camera along when you get an invite with some of the local highschool boys.

They've taught me a lot. And are hardcore bowhunters. :-)

06-Jan-17

06-Jan-17

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
I was getting ready to take a picture of a fox this morning and my camera battery went dead. I changed to a spare battery and I had to lean as far left as I could before it got by. That is why it isn't centered. The second one I got a little better.

06-Jan-17
Good pictures.

Nice thick coat.

07-Jan-17
The red foxes are starting to mate and they are barking and yapping all over the woods. Kind of nice to hear them.

• Sitka Gear