TD 11-Jan-17
JacobNisley 11-Jan-17
Joey Ward 11-Jan-17
Jim Moore 11-Jan-17
Woods Walker 11-Jan-17
TD 11-Jan-17
DL 11-Jan-17
07-Jan-17
Is there nothing easy about these POS's? I'm an android user and they are pretty easy for me. The proprietary nature of Apple makes life hellish, at least for my wife and by extension, me. Let me explain:

Wife bought a new Iphone7 yesterday to replace her 5 that was failing and doing weird things. She is trying to use her Itunes gift cards (Itunes...another Apple app designed by Satan). It wants her security questions which she no longer remembers or how she typed them in. So it's off to the apple ID reset page. You type in your user name, a captcha code and your password. All good right? Says to enter the code that was sent to your phone to reset security questions....what freakin code? I checked her email account that is set up for that phone...nothing. No texts or anything.

Now it looks like we have to call apple support just to be able to use apple functions on this POS. How the hell do these people stay in business? Androids are so much easier. Tried to get her to switch to android but she had gotten too comfortable with these hellish devices and doesn't like change.

07-Jan-17
Check her icloud email account. Good luck Jim. :^)

God Bless

07-Jan-17
I generally like the Apple products....except for the I tunes and the insanity of the passwords, If I want to put in 12345678 for a password....let me do it! That's my business not yours! There are times I have almost thrown my phone out the window.

07-Jan-17
I bought Apple at $38. Still have it, 'nuff said.

07-Jan-17
I don't buy Apple products.

07-Jan-17
Well Tony, that was a damn good pick. I would have too had I'd known, but I would have been buying those stocks on an Android if there was such a thing at that time...lol.

I found that part of the aforementioned dilemma was that the appleid support was sending the codes to my wifes IPhone 5 which she had replaced with the one in question. I thought it was supposed to be turned off? So I generated a new code, took it off of the 5 and was able to get onto ITUNES on the 7, and reset the stupid security questions. Which I then went back into IT, answered the questions, reentered a captcha and her password.....Fuh, fuh, fooey!

Now I have to set up ITUNES on my PC, transfer music to IT, then from IT to the phone. On an android, its pretty much drag and drop. Kill me now!

07-Jan-17
My wife's Apple I-phone...which is my only way onto the internet...is most definitely a POS! I wish she would have kept the Android!

07-Jan-17
It is frustrating for sure. I had the same thing happen with my ITunes password but fought my way through it and made it work. Write down your password is all I can say.

07-Jan-17
I hate the dang things. I do my best to spell right and such but, by the time I get a post typed, I have some weird, totally different words sometimes. God Bless

07-Jan-17
Sorry Piggo, think of a 2 for 1, followed by a 7 to 1 split, and and a substantially larger purchase!

Jim -- I think you are right. For tech-savvy folks the Apple system is very confining. For those of us (me) who are not tech-savvy it is much simpler. DOS and Windows were always asking me questions I didn't know how to answer when, say, burning a CD. Apple just burned the damn CD. But I've noticed they are getting too restrictive, say in iPhoto, which they've gutted for Photos for Mac, or whatever. So if they do away with the capital gains tax this year maybe I'll cash in!

07-Jan-17
I know folks with Macs and they love them, but for the life of me those friggin iphones just kick my ass. I could never be confused as being tech savvy either, but I get the drag and drop and with music and photos and other media, Android wins hands down.

I just finished figuring out how to utilize that ITunes app and it has about 3 more steps in it than I think need be there. Still, when I try to add songs to the selected playlist, it duplicates the playlist which I have to delete off the phone. Maddening. That said, I saved my wifes new Iphone from certain destruction today, either by her or myself. LOL.

08-Jan-17
Friggin upgrades piss me off. Three years ago I did an upgrade and my phone got so hot I couldn't hold it. I finally started deleting Apps and that stopped the overheating issue. Passwords drive me nuts. I would rather they had a thumb print ID.

08-Jan-17
LOL! Just get a flip phone like I just got and you won't have to be concerned with all this. Get calls, make calls, leave/get a message. And when I absolutely have to, I text. It suits my KISS requirement perfectly.

08-Jan-17
My iPhone 4s doesn't like cool weather, shuts down in 40° weather.

08-Jan-17
I love and work in an area with iffy cell service and the I phone gets service where Samsung s don't. For some reason when I post photos here they get flipped sideways which is annoying.

08-Jan-17
DL, my wifes new Iphone 7 has the finger print function on it. She set it for herself and then when I was working with it yesterday, I had to keep putting in a 6 digit unlock code after about 1 minute....errrrrr! But, it is a hand feature if you own it.

WW, I have a flip phone that I use for work but it is starting to die out after 7 years of hard use. I will get another as I do tower work from time to time and if it gets dropped, its not like it will cost a fortune to replace. Fits my head better as well.

08-Jan-17
Yeah Solo, youtube came into play in a big way yesterday. It's my go-to information source for just about everything. Used it to fix my ice maker a couple of weeks ago.

08-Jan-17
I agree 100% with Woods Walker's post. I don't even understand what most of you guys are talking about in the above posts. I have a cell phone for one reason: to make phone calls. I never needed internet access,GPS,facebook,or any of those things,when I am out in the woods. I've got through the first 59 years of my life fine without them. My kids and co-workers make fun of my flip phone,but I'm more than happy with my $30 a month phone bill!

Bob

09-Jan-17
To me it is one of the greatest inventions of all time. Resetting your apple ID is hell.

My new hearing aids are integrated with my I-phone via Bluetooth. It's about the coolest thing I have ever had. Almost makes needing hearing aids worth it!

09-Jan-17
See no need for anything but receiving and making calls. My old junk phone does both those things. Hooked up to trac phone for $10.00 a month have used as far away as Alaska, Hiawii and Jamacia.

09-Jan-17
I stopped using I-phones. They are too delicate. Screens break easily, and they don't like cold or hot weather. Always had problems with them shutting down, especially in the cold (like mentioned above). Went to droid and no problems. Rugged phone and no broken screens or cold weather shut downs in 2 years.

09-Jan-17
JTV x2

09-Jan-17
If you want the phone/computer to tell you what to do and don't want to mess with it or do much that is specialized then Apple is a good choice.

If you want to tell the phone/computer what to do then droids and windows. But even windows is going more towards taking complete control of your device and only giving you a handful of "options". sigh.

You can do pretty much anything on your phone now that used to be the realm of computers. When traveling they are awesome, from turn by turn directions (no need for any GPS, it's in the phone) in strange cities to finding places to eat, hotels to stay at and even booking them while on the road. Kinda handy sometimes to have a camera with you all the time as well as a rudimentary flashlight. All my music is on mine and with a bluetooth speaker you can hear your music in a cabin, hotel room, etc. the noise cancelling headphones on plane fights are awesome. I had most of my hunting maps for our unit in AZ on my phone this year.

In a bit of irony though...... many websites originally set up for high end computers and all the highest tech features, including this one, have to be dumbed down so as to make a better "experience" for mobile.

10-Jan-17
Wow. I hate being without my phone and it's not because of talking on the phone, answering e-mail, or surfing the net......but those are handy. Just of the top of my head...these are things I use all the time and hate to be without.

Shot timer for the pistol range A ballistic calculator for the rifle range it stores all my reloading data It checks me in for all my airline reservations and hold my boarding passes It does almost all my banking it checks me in for all my hotel reservations sometimes it is the key to my hotel room it controls my hearing aids I get my news from it it hold books and movies to listen to and watch when I get trapped on an airplane It is a marginal gps it's a real handy level I can verbally ask it any arithmetic question and it will reliably tell me the answer I purchase and usually carry all of my state hunting permits within it and use it to check in animals It knows when sunrise and sunset is detailed weather reports and near real time weather radar It communicates with my garmin watch and keeps details of every workout that I do

Could I do all that stuff the old fashioned way.....yep but not by choice.

10-Jan-17
Iphones are a piece of cake compared to setting up and maintaining FASFA accounts.....

LOL :-)

10-Jan-17
I used to pay a company $75 bucks per kid per year to do the fasfa for me! It was way worth it.

10-Jan-17
You can't hide money!

;-)

10-Jan-17
I got rid of my laptop. The only thing I use for Internet access is my iPhone. I got tired of everytime I opened it up I had to wait for it to do upgrades and pop ups telling me my PC had been hacked. I would be lost without it for business. Accessing the Internet when I'm working on a vehicle my HD or an appliance comes in handy. I just hate all the password crap.

10-Jan-17
I, too, have a flip phone with no internet. I never wanted that, and never thought I would need internet on the go . . . . .

. . . .until . . . . .

. . . .I got stuck in the Airport in Miami this past Saturday night. While I had to wait four hours in the rebooking line, people with IPhones and Droids had already made their airline and hotel room reservations, and were out enjoying the night life of Miami.

So I am seriously considering upgrading to a smart phone of some type, for the first time in my life.

11-Jan-17
Speaking of things you can do with your smartphone......

A $20 bluetooth OBD2 connector (that was a higher end one...) and a $5 (some are free) app for the phone and I can read codes in nearly any vehicle made. Even read the fuel rail pressure on our Isuzu NPR diesel to determine the pump was ok ($1500-2000) .... was an electronic issue, basically tracked down to one of the chassis grounds messing with the ECM and sensors..... and read a few other codes including a #4 cylinder misfire (likely injector) and a problem with the EGR (or sensor).

Don't know what else would do that for $25...... I use it all the time on a half dozen vehicles.... well, not the 76 scout.... but soon to have fuel injection on the ol' 304 tractor engine and will use it there too.....

Apps available for these things can put some pretty incredible and powerful tools in the palm of you hand. Actually making a phone call is getting to be among the least of them......

11-Jan-17
But have you ever heard of someone having their iphone hacked? Shoot even the FBI was begging apple to unlock an iphone in the San Berndino shooting.

11-Jan-17
TD, stop it with all that sexy talk.

If you weren't already married...................

he he he :-)

11-Jan-17

Jim Moore's embedded Photo
Jim Moore's embedded Photo
TD, does your obd2 adapter look like whats here at the link. It's got over 7000 reviews and better than A 4 star average. Interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS

For some reason it wouldn't let me link it.

11-Jan-17
"For some reason it wouldn't let me link it."

LOL! And therein lies the problem!

11-Jan-17
Yes Jim, BAFX, that's the one. Great reviews. I was told to stay away from the REALLY cheap ones. Download the Torque Pro app and it works great. Reads ECM codes and you can get sensor specs sensor by sensor. But only ECM, not ABS or BCM codes, etc. those computers are more propitiatory. OBD2 is a universal ECM code.

But they are evolving. The Car Gauge app was supposed to be able to read ABS and airbag codes..... but turns out only for Nissan and I was working on my daughters 4runner. Oh well....for $8.....

Joey gets it......LOL! But I'm guessing his scanners cost a bit more..... =D The mechanic that rents some space here here just dropped a few grand on his new Snap On Scammer...... and every time they "update" it, they take something away from him that he has to pay extra to have them put it back in.....

11-Jan-17
Bar code scanner app is great for saving money. Last week I diagnosed and electronic issue with one of my cars. Local parts houses wanted $400+ for an ECU. Got one off the internet for $200. Distributer for a vehicle. $200. got one for$58. I have many instructional videos saved on my phone for future reference. The next laptop I ever get will be an apple. One of my sons got one for his business years back and has never bought another PC just Apple. He gave my wife one for her business and she hasn't gone back to her Dell. They said they just don't have all the annoying issues with them that a PC does. The password crap just irritates me. Just trying to get an App is trying. What's your Itune password, your Apple password. If there's a charge there's more.

• Sitka Gear