sleepyhunter 09-Jan-17
HDE 09-Jan-17
Jim Moore 10-Jan-17
slade 10-Jan-17
keepemsharp 10-Jan-17
LINK 10-Jan-17
LINK 10-Jan-17
09-Jan-17
Starting to plan a trip to see the Canyon. was hoping that some of you guys from out there could advise some. Thinking maybe doing a trip from Denver or Salt Lake to Las Vegas hitting some of the parks in Utah and or Co, along with the Canyon. Any ideas? and What rim of the Canyon should we travel? Thanks for any Ideas

bill v

09-Jan-17
What time of year? What do you like to do? Do you intend to hike in the canyon?

09-Jan-17
Thinking the third week of May, light hiking if any, maybe horse (wife is a horse person) want to see the south west and the Canyon/Parks Bill v

09-Jan-17
I like the North Rim better. Much more scenic

09-Jan-17
I've always wanted to visit the Grand Canyon. It's on my bucket list.

09-Jan-17
North Rim is where "the wildlife" is, although it's on the South Rim too. There are mule rides on the South Rim that take you down to Indian Gardens, roughly half way down, then back up in one day. Been to the bottom 3 times. Once on New Hance Trail, and then Bright Angel - a rim to rim to rim (south, north, south). Saw desert bighorns on both trips.

10-Jan-17
Not sure but if you go to the North Rim, it is seasonal. I thought that they didn't open it till the middle of May so you may good. There is probably a park web site that will have that information.

10-Jan-17
On your way down from Salt lake take a detour to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park

10-Jan-17
For the first day you will go camera crazy then you realize "ya can't photo this place" it's just too big. I bought as book there in a park store that describes all the deaths in the canyon for over a hundred years, a real interesting read.

10-Jan-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
From hells backbone bridge. This drive is unique in that one side of the road is arid, dry, and rocky looking. The other side is timbered and even has aspen groves.
LINK's embedded Photo
From hells backbone bridge. This drive is unique in that one side of the road is arid, dry, and rocky looking. The other side is timbered and even has aspen groves.
My wife, young daughters and myself went there in 13. We stayed at Tuba city the first two nights and it was bad. It's on the reservation and it's a bunch of beggers working you for a tip without any service(I'm on the roles, so don't think I'm racist). We preferred the North Rim and stayed at Jacob lake inn and would recommend it. We took forests roads to the west of the park and hiked some trails at the top of the canyon. We did southern Utah, we didn't do Zion but that's where we screwed up. We didn't like Brice canyon but we really liked a scenic drive we took. It was from escalante Utah and it circles north and comes out at boulder it takes you across hells backbone. I'll include a couple pics of that drive, the best part of it was we didn't see another person. Ha

10-Jan-17

LINK's embedded Photo
This is what my middle child( the baby at that time) thought of the south rim.
LINK's embedded Photo
This is what my middle child( the baby at that time) thought of the south rim.
On that scenic drive we saw a bull just NW of Boulder that was well on his way to 400". We were there the second week of May and he had huge fronts, his beams were massive and at the point of branching for his whale tail. He all ready had to turn his head from side to side to navigate trees.

• Sitka Gear