NvaGvUp 17-Jan-17
Woods Walker 17-Jan-17
Mike B 18-Jan-17
Owl 18-Jan-17
WV Mountaineer 18-Jan-17
17-Jan-17
The state of my birth has had enough!

"Running over protesters on roadways could soon be legal in North Dakota

Protesters may want to think twice about blocking roads in North Dakota.

Republican lawmakers in the state introduced a bill last week in the legislature that would not hold motorists liable for negligently running over someone obstructing a roadway. The bill was introduced in response to a year of protests over a proposed pipeline near the Standing Rock Indian Reservation.

"A driver of a motor vehicle who negligently causes injury or death to an individual obstructing vehicular traffic on a public road, street, or highway may not be held liable for any damages," the bill reads. "A driver of a motor vehicle who unintentionally causes injury or death to an individual obstructing vehicular traffic on a public road, street, or highway is not guilty of an offense."

Lawmakers told the Bismarck Tribune that the bill is needed after protesters blocked traffic during oil pipeline protests.

"It’s shifting the burden of proof from the motor vehicle driver to the pedestrian,” Rep. Keith Kempenich told the paper. "(Roads) are not there for the protesters. They’re intentionally putting themselves in danger."

The bill will be heard by the North Dakota's House Transportation Committee on Friday."

17-Jan-17
That is the way it should be. My Mamma taught me at a young age to look both ways before crossing the road. Now they walk out in the road to block cars on purpose. Road blockers will be run over and survivors should be jailed.

17-Jan-17
Call out the D8's

17-Jan-17
"Road blockers will be run over and survivors should be jailed."

No, survivors will be backed over.

17-Jan-17
Cowcatchers!!!

17-Jan-17
I'm thinking a few 18 wheelers side by side at 70 mph would pretty much get the job done.

17-Jan-17
>>>I'm thinking a few 18 wheelers side by side at 70 mph would pretty much get the job done.<<<

Yeah. Worked in Nice.

17-Jan-17
So, Fra,

You're OK with people holding other people hostage?

That's domestic terrorism, is it not?

You equate a terrorist ramming a truck into innocent people who are simple going about their business to a person taking action against an illegal mob and refusing to be held hostage?

Really?

17-Jan-17
"Yeah. Worked in Nice"

All tongue in cheek (for the most part). You've got to lighten up dude...

17-Jan-17
>>>You equate a terrorist ramming a truck into innocent people who are simple going about their business to a person taking action against an illegal mob and refusing to be held hostage?<<<

Yes. It's mass murder either way. It's not "the person's" job. It's a job for the police.

17-Jan-17
If I'm at an open mall and a guy decideds to drive a semi through the crowd its everyone's job to do what they can to stop him.

17-Jan-17
In New York City you would be a fool to stop, blow the horn and keep going. I had people try to stop me in the south Bronx, once they realized I wasn't stopping they dove out of the way.

17-Jan-17
The proposed law does not allow purposely running over protestors.

17-Jan-17
I use to work all over the country. One day in NYC my coworker got way off in the wrong neighborhood looking for a hardware store. Big shiny new truck with decals all over and my buddy was a Colorado kid who's only city experience was Denver. He was panicking a bit when a cop pulled up next to him and asked "What the f@&$ Are you doing down here!?". "Get right behind me and don't stop for anything unless I do". He led him out with lights flashing and no stops for red lights.

17-Jan-17
Well FraDiavolo, Back in the day, you mouth off to someone, they were likely to smack that person in the mouth. Stand in a road, you will likely get run over. Common sense.

17-Jan-17
Not so common anymore though.

17-Jan-17
Meanwhile, in Minnesota, all charges get dropped against the angry mob that blocked interstate 94 last summer. (same with Mall of America protest). I guess here it's o.k. to block federal commerce and endanger the common public's lives if you want to. Pathetic, I can't even believe our two states touch!

17-Jan-17
Sorry, Fra,

But the police are mostly for cleaning up the mess after the fact.

If someone breaks into your home in the middle of the night and your choice is simply to call the police instead of defending yourself, when the police finally arrive, their first call is likely to be to the coroner.

And if you try to hold me hostage, you are engaging in a form of kidnapping. I will do my best to stop that "By any means necessary."

17-Jan-17
still a problem in the federal courts. but i can see wanting to mow them down.

17-Jan-17
Kentucky,

It would only have to happen a couple of times and the word would get around,

17-Jan-17
>>>If someone breaks into your home in the middle of the night and your choice is simply to call the police instead of defending yourself, when the police finally arrive, their first call is likely to be to the coroner.<<<

Okay, okay, bravado aside, fine. In your house, at night.

>>>And if you try to hold me hostage, you are engaging in a form of kidnapping. I will do my best to stop that "By any means necessary."<<<

Don't be ridiculous. Turn around and drive the other way. Run them over and you'll be spending a long time in jail.

17-Jan-17
Fra,

1. How do you turn around when you've got a hundred or more cars behind you?

2. What possible right do these azzholes have to keep you from going to your destination, which might be the emergency room at the hospital, your job, the airport, etc. ?

17-Jan-17
No right whatsoever . . . which doesn't give you the right to kill them. If you doubt me, tell it to the judge.

17-Jan-17
So, then what is my alternative?

Do I get out of my vehicle and confront them, at which point they will smash my windows, maybe beat me up and turn over my vehicle?

What if my wife is in labor or I have a very sick child in the back seat, hoping to get to the ER before he/she dies? Am I supposed to acquiesce to their folly?

They have a right to protest and I will defend that right with my life.

But they have NO right to take away my rights to go where I want, when I want and why I want.

Your position is whether they are right or wrong, I have to let them do what they please with MY rights.

LIKE HELL I DO!

17-Jan-17
This would work too.......

18-Jan-17
Entertaining the thought of running over people maliciously blocking the road is a bit satisfying, but it won't happen, and that's a good thing.

Kyle, I'm in agreement with you, but neither you or I (or anyone else here) would ever take a life in that manner unless our lives, or that of our family, were in mortal danger. The people standing in the road are idiots, no question, and no, they have no right to impinge on the rights of others. We can do the "but, what if?" thing till hell freezes over, however in reality the odds of such a scenario are incalculably low. I get it, but the thing is we don't kill people because they're idiots. We might want to, but we wouldn't do it.

The good guys just don't do that sort of thing.

18-Jan-17
I'm with Mike B. Though, I like the notion of shifting legal burden to the obstructor(s).

18-Jan-17
Had the same thing down here with a few doing it to some loggers working for me. The protester's were happy to see the police. Last I heard, there were some protester's still in Boone County's regional jail for doing the same to a surface mine. My whole point is, good for ND. I'm betting it will only take one "accident" to get everything fixed. And, with the law on common sense's side, it won't be long before people acknowledge the rights of their fellow man

• Sitka Gear