bad karma 05-Feb-17
Anony Mouse 11-Feb-17
orionsbrother 11-Feb-17
Woods Walker 11-Feb-17
Anony Mouse 15-Feb-17
Anony Mouse 21-Feb-17
bad karma 21-Feb-17
01-Feb-17
.......or anyone else wanting to chime in.

In Illinois to get a CC permit you need to take 16 hours of classes and pass a range shooting test. My wife, her brother, several friends and I had a NRA instructor come to her brother's office last Saturday for the first 8 hours and the range test. The first day covered basic firearm (handgun) stuff from function to ammo to cleaning. We then went to a range and we all passed that part.

This Saturday he will cover the legal/situational/strategic part of it. The first day what he covered was nothing new to me, and I could have probably taught it myself. But this week is where I really have some questions for him. This part is all new to me.

So please gang, feel free to suggest any questions I could ask him about this. I want to learn as much as I can, and hopefully you may come up with a perspective that I hadn't (or should) consider.

I'm all ears! (Or eyes.....as the case may be).

01-Feb-17

sportoutfitter's embedded Photo
sportoutfitter's embedded Photo
Woods, I wish my instructor would have spent a little more time on the legal/situational aspect of a justified shooting. He did give us this card and said if the shooting was "clean" say this and NOTHING more. Good chance you'll be driving yourself home.

01-Feb-17
I don't know. But, I like outfitter's response. When my wife and I took our test years ago, we had a class for a while, took our test, then we shot, then we received our certificate, then we paid a total of $350 to local municipalities and the state, then we received our permit. Which we have grandfathered in every 5 years since. No more testing. WV is now a state that allows concealed without a permit. But, I have no intention of letting mine expire either. God Bless

01-Feb-17
Don't say anything to the police officer. Say you are disraught of what occurred and can't think straight. Say you'll surrender or go to the station to make a statement the next day with your lawyer. Anything you say can be used at the trial and if you try to add to your previous statement can be deemed as an evasion or changing the scenario in other words.."you're lying". The prosecutor will try to make you as the aggressor and at fault. It's their job.

01-Feb-17
Good points gang.....keep 'em coming......

bk......are you out there?

01-Feb-17
My LEO buddy/instructor told me that every bullet fired at a human being comes with a lawyer attached.

01-Feb-17
I don't like it either Justin. Law enforcement I've talked to hates it. Makes no sense. I intend to keep mine up as well

01-Feb-17
One point that was made to us was to make sure that you only use commercial rounds. No hand loads for personal protection. It can be framed that you were dialing in a more lethal round, looking to the day.

Sounds stupid enough for me to think it might be plausible here in IL.

01-Feb-17
ESPECIALLY plausible in Illinois!

01-Feb-17
1st question you need to ask the instructor, "How can I keep up with the ever changing up to date gun laws?" I would get specifics, websites, magazines, etc..

02-Feb-17
Ask about the process that you go thru during a traffic stop.

Terry

02-Feb-17
"The Right" .........'to keep & bare arms' ..... what DON'T Illinois and most of the rest of the states understand? .....and The Illinois F.O.I.D. Card is also 'unconstitutional' ..... and Bill Clinton's "domestic violence" law is a ""CROCK" (especially in Illinois where The FOID Card is concerned too) ..... I HATE POLITICS! ..... As for Illinois CC permit .....prior military don't have to do but 8 hours class (I think) ...... like I said it's all about $$$$ and control and many other states have got it right as for No License Required ... It's already a RIGHT!

02-Feb-17
Ask them to paint the picture of how your life will be a living hell for about a year after a defensive shooting, and the reality of a lawsuit for wrongful death.

As far as speaking, you only say you will be happy to cooperate as soon as you consult with your attorney (hint, hint - get an attorney now).

02-Feb-17
I have no idea, WW, of any good advice to give you other than to leave the state of Illinois. That state is run by crooked morons.

02-Feb-17
I've got nothing to offer other than what sportoutfitter posted in the second comment. I might add I'm sitting here in utter ****ing amazement that some of you are required to pay several hundred dollars to exercise your 2nd amendment rights.

02-Feb-17
I plan to keep my permit up to date. I renew it every five years.

02-Feb-17
Ask about specific state laws that apply there. I.E.: Requirement to disclose that you are carrying to a police officer during a traffic stop. Places where you may not carry. Stand your ground laws, and Castle doctrine. Are there any specific requirements regarding magazine capacity, or ammo (e.g. No hollow points in NJ).

And remember, if you are forced to use your firearm in self defense, you shoot to stop the threat. Don't ever say 'shoot to kill'. Once the threat stops, you stop.

02-Feb-17
We do at least have a governor who is attempting to clean house financially.

I'd ask about the lawfulness of the "no carry" zones, i.e. what kind of punishment there is if you get caught carrying in one because you didn't see the sign.

02-Feb-17
For $10, Legal heat has an app for your phone that describes the gun laws in all 50 states for CCW holders. I use it when traveling, and find it handy.

On another note, you never speak to the police except to give name, rank and serial number. Only after you and counsel discuss and weigh the risks. It is almost never helpful. Now, in some CCW contexts, there may be a video of the shooting, but I still strongly recommend you don't speak. Have a good attorney and a bondsman's phone number in your wallet, you may need both.

02-Feb-17
Or you may get to go to the safe confines of your home while they pack the bad dude to the morgue!

02-Feb-17
Great advice/suggestions everyone! I really appreciate it.

One more question.......

Does any one have any experience or have any thoughts on the CCA (Concealed Carry Association)? Apparently if you're a member you call them first if you've had to use your weapon and are arrested and they will immediately post bond, etc.

02-Feb-17
I'm a fan of the USCCA, good training info, lots of bright and experienced writers. Their magazine: Concealed Carry, is a good read as well. They have several different levels of their 'self defense Insurance'. Definitely check them out.

I believe that if someone chooses to carry, they knowingly and willingly accept a level of responsibility that most people never even consider. Think about it, a lot. Decide if and under what circumstances you would use your firearm. Get informed, get trained, become a student of the laws, the firearms, etc. I think that too many people get a CCW, buy a handgun and a holster and call it good. It's a huge responsibility, and it's probably not for everyone. For the Sheepdogs among us, it's the only way however. Good luck.

02-Feb-17
"what kind of punishment there is if you get caught carrying in one because you didn't see the sign."

Man, that's just pure funny, right there. LOL

That'd be good to know when trespassing, speeding, running stop signs, etc? :-)

02-Feb-17
My wife an I will rarely carry "on the street" so to speak. What we mainly want it for is when we travel so we can keep a loaded weapon in the car with us, or in her car when she's going to and from work.

02-Feb-17

gflight's Link
Looks like everyone hit the high points.

This forum would be a good resource....

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

02-Feb-17
Good link g-man! Thanks!

02-Feb-17
Regarding "no carry' zones:

The point of carrying is to save your life or the life of a family member or other innocent person. Gun free zones are far from immune to situations where self defense may be needed. Seems like they are actually pretty popular targets. Its like a law that says life jackets have to be removed and put on shore before you and your family go through a certain stretch of rapids on your river run.

02-Feb-17
No argument there Glunt. It should read......."This Is A No Carry Zone For The Good Guys. Criminals, Here's Your Target".

02-Feb-17
Handgunlaw.us

Another really good reference on state laws and reciprocity.

Many states have passed "castle law doctrine". Worth finding out just where you stand WRT that in your local. When Michigan first passed its law, many were skeptical and a number of local prosecutors addressed the issue putting a shooter under duress with long investigations about possible prosecution. Over time, (from reading news), defensive shooting is accepted as long as it seems reasonable. Firing at an escaping vehicle can land one in trouble for the simple fact that the shooter was no longer in danger. A topic worth addressing in class.

02-Feb-17
I'm taking notes here.....keep it coming.

02-Feb-17
Outside the legal stuff. Some important stuff is deciding when to unholster and a quick reliable system. Plenty of folk's carry set-ups aren't conducive to getting the weapon into action quickly. Threat distance, breaking contact with an aggressor, what your support hand should be doing during the drawing process, close quarter shooting, handling malfunctions, weak hand operation, and the list goes on and on. Only a small fraction can be covered in a day and you may find yourself signing up for some more courses, which is a good thing.

02-Feb-17
Lou...just came across this:

5 Common Mistakes Good Guys Make In Self-Defense Situations

Worth a read.

02-Feb-17
Every year I get a new book that covers the laws in all 50 states. The laws keep changing so you need new book every year.

02-Feb-17
Mouse, that's a pretty good list of reasons not to use deadly force.

If you do need to use your weapon, make sure it's a real threat.....on the other hand, always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I'd be curious to hear about if you were in a threatening situation and you brandish your firearm to de-escalate the situation, but don't actually fire it. Can you get in trouble for that? need to report it? I can see this situation could happen like to avoid a fight, road rage incident, etc.

02-Feb-17
Sounds like Ohio test but we had 2 - 12 hour days of training

02-Feb-17
Time for a news break...another Trumptastic day: more undoing Obama

BREAKING: House Votes to Overturn Obama’s Gun Ban for Social Security Recipients

Congress voted just moments ago to scrap former president Barack Obama’s “Social Security gun ban.” The ban, which targeted the elderly and disabled (two populations which might have a stronger case for the need for a firearm for self defense than any other) added individuals who had their finances managed by someone else to the list of prohibited persons in the National Instant Check System used to process background checks for firearm sales. Barack Obama implemented the ban via executive order, circumventing Congress.

Obama had previously stated that his inability to pass gun control legislation was one of the biggest disappointments of his career and that he would side-step Congress if it was a means to an end to enact his policies. He had added the new rule under the auspices of keeping guns out of the hands of the “mentally ill,” a narrative that the mainstream media is continuing in their reaction. From the Washington Post:

Under the rule, the Social Security Administration would provide information to the gun-buying background check system on recipients with a mental disorder so severe they cannot work and need someone to handle their benefits. The rule, finalized in December, affects an estimated 75,000 beneficiaries.

The rule, House Joint Resolution 40, passed the House of Representatives mostly along party lines. The resolution now moves to the Senate, where the Republicans hold a tenuous majority. If it passes the Senate then the resolution would go to the President for final approval before coming into effect.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic ;o)

02-Feb-17
Move to Reno.

Seriously.

I took my first Carry Course as soon as I became a NV resident in 2009. I took it again in 2014 when I renewed it. I chose not to go to the 'public class' where lots of people would be in attendance. Instead, I paid a little more for a personal/private course.

I did that for two reasons:

1. I wanted a one-on-one exchange of information and questions.

2. I didn't want to waste my time listening to other's questions and off-topic issues.

My instructor was, both times, the retired firearms instructor for the Reno PD, so he had years and years of practical experience. When it got to the 'shoot, don't shoot' issues, he had all sorts of actual cases here in Washoe County he used as examples. Some were obvious 'shoot' cases and others, in my thinking, including one in particular, leaned somewhat or even strongly towards the 'don't shoot' side. Yet in EVERY case, 'shoot' was not a problem for the County DA's office and no charges were filed on any of them.

Just one more reason I'm so happy I moved here.

02-Feb-17
Ditto Coyote 65, copy that. In my class here in IL, the one instructor was a retired LEO. His comment was "don't bring it up that you have a weapon" and another instructor said "well, that's a gray area". In many states, there are laws about what you must state to a LEO during a traffic stop. Here in IL, it is written "upon demand of the officer"....I suppose it comes down to your judgment. I have a NRA Life Member License frame..I will certainly comply in states like in MI and OH which state, "immediately upon contact", i.e. my window rolled down, my inside light on, my hands high on the wheel....and when officer approaches, I disclose appropriately Be safe out there

02-Feb-17
It was recommended that we disclose immediately in spite of the "upon demand" wording in IL. Since one of the guys in the class that I was in reaffirmed that and he was an upper level Department of Homeland Security, that's the route I'll take if the situation arises.

03-Feb-17
I think proper form is "Officer, I am a licensed concealed carry permit holder (and if you have another license or reason to limit concern, such as "with a bar card" or "with no criminal record whatsoever" or...... And I am currently armed with a handgun (on my hip, in my backpack, etc.). I have no intention of causing any trouble (Hands on steering wheel or otherwise in a benign position.) My registration and insurance are in the (Console, glovebox, etc.) and my licenses are in my wallet which is in my left back pocket. Would you please tell me what would make you most comfortable and I will gladly comply. I want this to be the most boring traffic stop of your year.

03-Feb-17
BK, back when I was 21 (some odd 35+ years ago) I was hired by a firm to work as an armed security officer for a group of Chase banks that had been systematically robbed over a two year period. While not LEO or prior armed forces, I had the look, mannerisms and attitude that fit the bill for the employer.

Took a 3 day course in firearms, and was then issued a vintage company S&W 38cal revolver. It was old, but shot straight and I could punch the 10 ring at 20 yds. 9 out of 10 times.

Best part, my duty station was a bank located right in the best part of Newport Beach, Ca. While always professional, I had the duty to observe beautiful women coming and going all day long. Not to mention they paid me well for this. Tough duty, 'eh?

I was still young, but smart enough to know that when I traveled to and from work I'd put my Sam Brown belt w/unloaded revolver on the passenger seat in full view.

Got stopped by a cop one day, and in short, before he walked up to my car I had both empty hands hanging out the drivers window. He asked me why, I told him exactly (damn near word for word) what you suggested, above.

We had a brief discussion about my broken left turn signal (bulb out), and he wished me a nice day. No drama, no danger to anyone.

Damn good advice, and if it happened again, I'd do and say exactly the same thing.

p.s. About a month later I was standing post in another branch of the bank, and observed a rather questionable fellow casing the inside. He scribbled something on a deposit ticket, and left, leaving it on the counter. Took at look at it and he'd written it out for "all the money". Called the cops, and they busted him in the parking lot. He was the same guy who'd robbed all the other branches, but when he saw me in the corner watching him, he left.

03-Feb-17
If you are going to carry you should definitely have CCW insurance. In the unfortunate case that something goes wrong and you defend yourself it gives piece of mind to know you have legal CCW representation. My insurance is less than $200 per year USCCA

03-Feb-17
I was stopped once returning from the gym. My license registration and insurance cards were in my wallet which was in my pants pocket in a gym bag. I told the officer where they were and that in the gym bag were 2 wooden knives, a plastic gun, a pair of escrima (short "club") and my personal carry firearm. (I teach martial arts and the "toys" are used in practice.) I asked him how he would like me proceed.

He thanked me for giving him the heads up asked me to take bag out of car, place it on the trunk, and get my stuff. I did as he asked and there was no problem. He gave me a warning and said I handled it perfectly.

I also have to think my body language and calm demeanor helped keep tension levels low.

03-Feb-17
Yes, USCCA has a good insurance program and the magazine that comes with it is great.

03-Feb-17
bk: I'm going to memorize that!

I pretty much do the hand thing now if I'm stopped, especially at night.

03-Feb-17
As someone who has had to draw my concealed firearm on someone (no shots were fired) all I can say is be damn sure that your life is in danger before you fire that weapon. I was justified in pulling my firearm out, and not charged with anything, but I can tell you it was one hell of an experience. If you must open fire, make sure you completely eliminate the threat. If it comes to the point where you end up shooting someone, everything in your life will be flipped upside down. Heck, I didn't even discharge mine and it chaotic. I cant imagine what it would be like if I had killed the guy...

Here are a few other tips... Anytime you are approached by any type of LEO always tell them you have a CCW permit, whether you are carrying or not. I have been stopped three times since having my CCW, twice while carrying. Only had an issue when I wasn't carrying and didn't bother telling the officer I had a CCW. He went to the car to run my info and found out about my CCW. Made me get out of the car to question me about it, but nothing major. Had I said I have a CCW, but am not carrying I would have never had a problem. Both other times I was stopped while carrying I told them immediately and never had an issue.

The most important thing you can do though is to remember "I FELT MY LIFE IN DANGER"

If your life really is in danger make sure you kill the offender. You don't want to shoot him twice and then hope me makes it. You want the threat eliminated. Don't worry about overkill (it just reinforces how truly fearful you were)

The last bit of advice I have is to also remember it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

04-Feb-17
Another site worth reading on a regular basis...gives one a good feel as to how firearm defense is dealt with in the various states. Also news about firearms in general.

Every day reports of self defense and how local/state authorities deals with the shooter. In many states, prosecutors are siding with the home defender.

Gun Watch

05-Feb-17
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet. If you draw your weapon and the goblin runs, call 911 IMMEDIATELY!!! I know of two cases were the ccw holder didn't call and the goblin did and guess who the LEOs arrested....

05-Feb-17
Good point, JD. I call it the "911 race." First person to call is declared the victim.

11-Feb-17
Michigan has had a pretty good record concerning defensive use of a firearm, having improved across most of the state as prosecutors began to look favorably at the state's castle law doctrine. Still, it does not always bode well from the get-go.

‘Santa shooter’ says defending his life was costly

Marcus Weldon said defending his life cost him thousands of dollars, his reputation and a few relationships.

The Southfield resident was dressed as Santa Claus on Dec. 21, 2014, when he and a female coworker, also clad in a Santa costume, left a holiday work function and drove to a downtown Detroit gas station. Weldon said two men began harassing her and, when he tried to intervene, one retrieved a gun from his car.

Weldon, 28, who has a license to carry a concealed pistol, pulled out his .40 caliber semiautomatic and fired four shots, wounding both men. He was arrested, charged and tried; a jury in June found him not guilty.

Since the acquittal, the single father said he’s trying to put his life back together. He said the ordeal set him back about $50,000 between legal fees and paying for the tether he wore while awaiting trial. He also said the incident alienated some anti-gun friends.

Weldon has written a 200-page manuscript about his experience:“The Santa Claus Shooter: Guilty Until Proven Innocent,” and said he’s negotiating with a publisher.

“I want to warn people what can happen to you if you legally use your firearm to protect yourself,” Weldon said. “Since I’m not a criminal, I thought if I ever had to use my gun, people would look at me like I did the right thing. That didn’t happen.

“When you get caught up in the system, even if you were in the right, it’s a nightmare,” said Weldon, who works at MGM Casino doing building repairs and odd jobs.

“Some people who I looked at as friends and mentors turned their backs on me because they’re anti-gun,” he said. “But I also met a lot of people from the gun community who supported me.”

Shootout with Santa

In addition to his casino job, which he’s held for more than nine years, Weldon had a part-time gig doing promotions for Remy Martin cognac. He had just finished working a holiday promotional event in a downtown club when his coworker Erica Johnson told him she needed to put air in her tire. He followed her to the Speedway gas station on East Jefferson near Larned. Both were still dressed in Santa suits.

Weldon said Johnson was at the gas station window when he saw a man arguing with her. “Next thing I know, he takes his arm and elbows her. She kind of stumbled. I said, ‘Hey, what are you doing?’ He turns around and ... storms at me. Then he pushes me.

“I could see he was drunk; his eyes were red. I said, ‘Get back; I’m warning you.’

“He runs to this black (Dodge) Charger where his buddy was, and I’m hoping he’s getting into the car to leave. But he starts digging under the seat looking for something. I thought, ‘He’s about to get his gun.’ Then he comes out with his firearm and takes a step toward me. I fired the first shot after I saw him with the gun.

“I heard return fire. I’m like, ‘Oh, crap, he’s firing back at me.’ I’m in shock. I shoot again while I’m walking away. (Johnson) is screaming, so I figured she’d been hit ... I pulled out my phone to call 911. I’m dialing the phone, and I hear tires spinning out, then I see these headlights coming at me. I thought it was those guys coming to run me down, so I grabbed her and we took off running down Larned.”

The headlights belonged to an unmarked police car, also a black Charger.

“They got out, pulled their guns on me and told me to get on the ground,” Weldon said.

He lay on the sidewalk outside St. Andrew’s Hall. “The club is letting out, so there’s people taking pictures of me while I’m on the ground in this Santa suit.”

Weldon caused a stir when officers escorted him into the Mound Correctional Facility on Detroit’s east side.

“I was the laughingstock of the jail,” he said. “Here I am, walking in there in a Santa Claus suit. Later on, the news is covering my case; I’m on all the TV stations, and (other inmates) are making fun of me.”

Weldon was charged with seven felonies, posted bail and was put under house arrest.

“The day before (the shooting), I was at a Christmas party with the mayor. So I go from being in this high point in my life to, wow, now I’m on the news.”

Both men Weldon shot lived, and he was charged with assault with intent to commit murder. He said prosecutors offered him plea deals, but he refused.

Weldon finally stood trial in June, 18 months later, and testified in his own defense.

“When they finally said ‘not guilty’ on all the charges I, started crying. I tried to hold it together but my face was like Niagara Falls,” he said.

Words of wisdom

Weldon has advice for concealed-pistol license holders: “Don’t go into situations where you might have to use your gun. But if you do, keep your mouth shut. I know you want to tell the police that you’re innocent, but don’t do it. You’ll only incriminate yourself.”

Detroit attorney Terry L. Johnson, who specializes in firearms cases, said Weldon’s experience is common for people who use guns to defend themselves.

“He got lucky, because his parents had the means to hire a good attorney,” said Johnson, who did not represent Weldon. “I always ask people: If you had to shoot someone in your home at 2 in the morning, do you think the police are going to say, ‘great job, you got the bad guy’? A lot of people actually think that, but that’s not how it works.”

Would Weldon pull the trigger again?

“I’ve always been a pacifist, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to be a victim. Even Martin Luther King applied for a permit to carry a gun” in 1956 after his house was firebombed.

“If it comes down to me or him, it’s going to always be him ... I’ve got a 7-year-old daughter. I can’t take that chance.”

11-Feb-17
Bad Karma - Thanks for posting your "most boring traffic stop" comment. I'll remember that one.

11-Feb-17
Yes, I sent that to a friend of mine who's an LEO. He loved it.

15-Feb-17

Anony Mouse's Link

21-Feb-17
“Popcorn Shooting” Defendant Has Self-Defense Immunity Hearing

Goal: Show that shooting was more likely than not self-defense

Good article...worth reading.

21-Feb-17
The other one, a legal issue, but an important one: Self defense is an affirmative defense. This means you assert self defense at trial, and provide enough evidence to meet your burden of production. The prosecution must prove the absence of self defense beyond a reasonable doubt.

The net result to you, if you have the wrong DA, is that it's not the silver bullet that ends the trial before it happens. It's to be asserted at trial. So, you're out $50-100k or better to get back to "normal life" after the shooting. The above story is an example.

22-Feb-17
there are weekend long classes given by lawyers on the legal aspects of using deadly force pretty much constantly around where I live.

• Sitka Gear