Mike in CT 22-Feb-17
sportoutfitter 22-Feb-17
IdyllwildArcher 23-Feb-17
Brotsky 23-Feb-17
Bake 23-Feb-17
Anony Mouse 23-Feb-17
Stalker 24-Feb-17
17-Feb-17
Or not. Today we had no kids at school, just a teacher inservice. Our tech guy is also our resource officer. He went to the sheriff's office and I asked him to pick up some raffle tickets while he was there. The reserve deputies are raffling off a Bushmaster AR rifle. He brought me back a handful to sell and then went to work on something in the elementary. He called me in a few minutes asking for some of the tickets. When the kindergarten teachers heard what we were doing, they wanted $20 worth of tickets. Mind you these ladies are fresh out of school (or less than 3 years out at the most). Several others said they would buy tickets, but didn't have enough money with them today. We were paid yesterday but thanks to parent teacher conferences and the regular school day, we were there until 8:30 last night and then had to be back first thing this morning so many of them hadn't made it to the bank yet.

Anyway, I suppose now, I'll have to go back to the SO and pick up more tickets as I already had some high school teachers wanting them. Really not much point to this post but to say, there's hope yet for our students' teachers. ;)

17-Feb-17
David...many of the teachers where I subbed would probably buy tickets, too. Heck, even had some come over to hunt out back on my property.

You rural or urban? Think that has a lot to deal with how teachers view things. Rural schools service a different population which have more conservative views.

jack

17-Feb-17
The problem is that the conservative teachers tend to concentrate on doing their jobs and the leftists concentrate on political action, spreading the liberal agenda, making it unacceptable to publicly proclaim a conservative thought at school, and recruiting leftists into the profession.

17-Feb-17
Rural and small school. K-12 is just under 550 students in 3 counties. We've got 4th generation students in school and several teachers that graduated from here as well. No telling how many tickets I could have sold if I'd had them at the parent-teacher conference last night. We are blessed in the conservative views. I teach hunter and boater ed classes as part of the 7th grade agri curriculum. Only complaint I've ever heard from that is from the kids who already have their hunter ed cards.

17-Feb-17
Cool...look for an email from me in the next few days. I may have some reference books you can use.

jack

18-Feb-17

Anony Mouse's Link

18-Feb-17
Wonder if I could get those teachers to buy some of the raffle tickets? :) The first one in the article makes well over twice what I do so price should be no problem.

20-Feb-17
I am hoping that Thomas Massie's (R-Kentucky) bill to get rid of the Dept. of Education is passed.

20-Feb-17
Kathi, this weekend, I had a liberal relative ask what I thought of the new secretary of education. I told her that I had not paid that much attention, so had no opinion specific to her. I then went on to tell her that the constitution gives the feds no role in education and all federal education programs should be eliminate starting with the department of ed and federal student loans.

She did at least pretend to agree on two points - locals are more likely to know what their own kids need - and loaning 18 year olds tens of thousands of dollars only gives them debt and raises the cost of going to school.

21-Feb-17
Why Professors Object to Being Recorded

From the article:

"...Our colleges and universities (and an increasing number of high schools and elementary schools) have been transformed from educational institutions into indoctrination institutions. With the left-wing takeover of universities, their primary aim has become graduating as many leftists as possible.

The vast majority of our colleges have become left-wing seminaries. Just as Christian seminaries exist to produce committed Christians, Western universities exist to produce committed leftists. Aside from the Christian-leftism difference, universities differ in only one respect from Christian seminaries: Christian seminaries admit their goal, whereas the universities deceive the public about theirs.

Thus, in the "social sciences" — disciplines outside the natural sciences and math — a large number of college teachers inject their politics into their classrooms. And if they are recorded, the general public will become aware of just how politicized their classroom lectures are.

But there is another reason.

Most professors objecting to being recorded know on some level that they are persuasive only when their audience is composed largely of very young people just out of high school. They know that if their ideas are exposed to adults, they may be revealed as intellectual lightweights..."

22-Feb-17
Why are you advocating or suggesting people in their professions get recorded? Doctors don't like being recorded because of malpractice issues. Attorneys won't agree to being recorded doing their jobs because of privacy issues. How about you send in a recording of yourself at your job because I'm certain you've tried to "indoctrinate" others into your political, social, religious philosophy.

22-Feb-17
I used to record all the lectures I attended when in school. What would a teacher/professor have to hide while teaching a course? They should be expected to be recorded. I never thought otherwise and my professors didn't either...at least so far I as remember. None of them ever attempted to confiscate my recorder or asked me to turn it off....

22-Feb-17
Uh, em like Professors are public employees for the most part, paid for by the public and students being part of the public have every right to record them and hold them accountable for what they are teaching them......

Comparing attorney client privilege and Dr patient confidentiality with a public teacher student relationship is laughable to say the least.

22-Feb-17
"Why are you advocating or suggesting people in their professions get recorded?"

You really are an object of pity; are you not familiar with the practice of taking notes in class? Depending on the student's proficiency it is entirely possible to capture, almost verbatim, an entire lecture.

Here' a thought squirt gun; peddle your intellect in a pre-school environment where you may be at least on equal footing.

On second thought, my money's on the 3 and 4 year old crowd taking you to school.....

Keep 'em coming chuckles.....

22-Feb-17
^^^Thats funny Mike!^^^

23-Feb-17
No one should have a problem being recorded unless privacy is an issue - as in doctor-patient or attorney-client. Teachers/professors? That's a matter of public knowledge.

That said, I spent a lot of time in our country's educational system and I'm glad for it. It prepared me for a job that allows me to work 6 months per year, hunt as much as I want, and make more than enough money. I went to school in public schools, home school, private school, community college, public University, and private University. You know where I learned the least? Home school.

By far, my most dogmatic and political teacher/professor that spent way too much time speaking his own beliefs and not enough time tending to the course work that we needed to learn, was a social-right conservative Christian. It didn't matter if I agreed with him or not as I wasn't there for a sermon - I was there to learn.

Liberals beget liberals and conservatives beget conservatives. But the bulk of folks in a University are on average, smarter than the folks that don't go. They may be swayed one way or the other for a short period of time while they are young, but birds of a feather don't fly north with the ducks and swans every April if they're doves.

The trend towards liberalism today has nothing to do with the educators and everything to do with urbanization. We have too many people stacking up in the cities. The angst towards educators is misplaced and is actually dangerous insofar as insulating your children from education means that the people who make the decisions are not the folks who've been raised right and you're setting your smart kids up to be behind in an economy that more and more requires education to avoid the pitfalls of the economy's downturns and lack of reliance on labor.

Yes, there are whackos who educate. That's unavoidable with as many educators as a country of 330 million will require. We still need to educate these folks and YOU still need to raise your kids right. So long as you do that, the sky will not fall and KIDS (read: 20somethings) will figure shit out once they see policies fail.

You want to set your kids up to be bleeding-heart liberals? Isolate them and protect them from other ways of thinking. Once they realize that someone's been trying to keep them from something - you'll lose them. 50% of JW children do not continue on in the religion of their parents. This is a religion that does not allow their kids to associate with kids not in their religion, play HS sports, read any religious text not written by the their church, etc etc - they are completely isolationist and they lose more of their kids than any other religion in this country. The Amish, with all their craziness, allow their kids to do whatever they want for a couple years without ostracism and they have a much higher retention rate than the JWs, even though they're both very cultish and isolationist. Know where I learned those stats? College.

23-Feb-17
Where I live in SD almost all of the teachers would buy those raffle tickets. The vast majority of them also hunt, fish, and shoot.

The vast majority of them also vote Democrat, every single time. I can't explain it, just shake my head.

23-Feb-17
I was proud of a couple local schools recently. . . The local school where I work, where I attended, was raffling off 2 rifles. Maybe not the "school", but the project prom committee I believe. I can't remember. I bought a few tickets though

Then the school where I live, where my daughter attends: I noticed they had a deer brag board posted up by the trophy case, where the students could tape pictures of the deer they'd killed this year.

Both rural schools, of course.

It was funny to me, the local schools have a mock "presidential election" on election day . . . Election after election the Republican candidate wins :)

23-Feb-17
Shame on my alma mater, Michigan State.

Report: Michigan State Bans Whiteboards to Prevent Spread of Racist Messages

Administrators at Michigan State University have introduced a policy which will prevent students from hanging white boards outside of their dorm rooms in an effort to prevent racist messages from appearing on dormitory walls.

The new policy, which will go into effect in Fall 2017, will prevent students from putting up white boards outside of their dorm rooms in an effort to curb issues with bullying on campus...

Of course, University of Michigan has to go one better:

University of Michigan Students Demand No-Whites-Allowed Space To Plot “Social Justice” Activism…

Because bigotry against white people is socially acceptable.

Via College Fix:

A student activist group at the University of Michigan is demanding campus officials provide them with “a permanent designated space on central campus for Black students and students of color to organize and do social justice work.”

Ah...back to the separate drinking fountains and segregation of schools that were our past.

Is it no wonder I coined the term: proregressives?

24-Feb-17
Part of Obama's legacy!

• Sitka Gear