TSI 20-Feb-17
sleepyhunter 20-Feb-17
Mint 20-Feb-17
HA/KS 20-Feb-17
18-Feb-17
Yes or no? BAN IT! Mad Dog

18-Feb-17
Yes....on public property.

No.....on your own private property with your consent....

Unless you're a fire-breathing dragon, this is not a free speech issue simply because it's an act of behavior, and not an act of speaking. Burning something on public property would be defined as a riotous act, and not an act of peaceful protest.

OTOH, if the Trump Admin attempts to employ common sense to change this, riots will break out nationwide because this generation is so lost that insanity is the rule of the day.

18-Feb-17
So, are you saying a proper flag burning ceremony under an American Legion or VFW protocol on private property you would approve? Mad Dog

18-Feb-17

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
No.

But it ought to be legal to beat the crap out of anyone who does! ;^)

18-Feb-17
MD, of course I wouldn't 'approve' of it any more than I approve of 2 men swappin' spit. Surprised that would even cross your mind after reading what I posted.

18-Feb-17
Good post Nva. I agree 100%.

18-Feb-17
So SPLAIN the private property exclusion . MD

18-Feb-17
Legal? We.should get a citizen award for stopping a flag burning. You notice these flag burning bastards always do it with a big crowd and cameras around? I've only been around a short.time, but Me thinks Josh and his defenders think it OK to burn old glory (because the Supreme Court says it ok!!!!!#) Am.I right? Mad Dog

18-Feb-17
Not a problem for me. Slavery was OK too. Those MEN IN BLACK ROBES are not omnipotent. ..If you make your moral decisions based on what "THEY" say, you areally but a sheep. Mad Dog

18-Feb-17
Not a problem for me. Slavery was OK too. Those MEN IN BLACK ROBES are not omnipotent. ..If you make your moral decisions based on what "THEY" say, you areally but a sheep. Mad Dog

18-Feb-17
Okay, here it is:

If you want to burn something on your own property, as long as a burn ban isn't currently in place, then you can burn pretty much whatever you want to burn on your own property as long as it doesn't create harmful fumes to be emitted into the atmosphere, etc.

But you cannot legally burn anything on public property. Can't now, and never could as long as I've been around. If you doubt that, then drag your trash can out in the middle of the street and set its contents on fire and kick back and watch the police come and cite you for unlawfully burning your trash on public property.

That includes flags, bra's or anything these wimpy-assed politicians have overstepped their authority for decades now, to break longstanding basic common sense public statutes just to allow people to burn crap for their own selfish political reasons.

Think it thru....just think it thru. Nothing complicated about it.

18-Feb-17
Yes. The same Supreme Court that legalized the murder of infants in the their mamas belly? Nah...don't think so. Mad Dog

18-Feb-17
With Kyle 100%

If burning our flag is some sort of legal demonstration, then pounding the face of a flag burner is just another demonstration of protest of protest. Basic physics: action/reaction.

18-Feb-17
I know what the law says. Old Glory is NOT a bra or garbage, leaves, et cetera. Is it EVER OK to burn it ANYWHERE? UNLESS it is a disposal ceremony for worn flags by any one of the Veterans organizations? I say NO FUCKIN WAY. That is the problem; liberal assholes and slimy lawyers BURY it in with a general group aka PORK, to obfuscate. Mad Dog

18-Feb-17
Oh... I'm with you If ya havent noticed. Holding a flag up and lighting it up is a physical action, NOT speech. Flag burners go to hell! Mad Dog

18-Feb-17
OK,

I suppose beating the crap out of people who burn our flag might call for some legal action against you. So here's what I propose:

1. A $10 fine for not being 'nice' to the a-hole, and;

2. A Good Conduct Medal from your local community.

18-Feb-17
Nva for supreme Court Justice. Do I have a second?

18-Feb-17
I provided a common sense way on how to stop it from being done on public property, which is where this act is being conducted during public protests....and once again for the sake of clarity, unlawfully conducted in respect to municipal ordinances in virtually all cases...

I will continue to hold high regard for private property rights, regardless of what you think I should think... I may be 96.3% German, but I ain't no Nazi....

18-Feb-17
Why, 'Thank you,' Michael.

If nominated I will accept.

If confirmed, I will adhere to the Constitution as it was written and follow the intent of the Founding Fathers.

18-Feb-17
SC has ruled on it a couple of times. It's a done deal. If it is your private property and legal to burn there you can burn anything you want. That someone doesn't agree with it or find it offensive does not matter. Same as what many of the left think is offensive they have to no constitutional recourse, "hate speech" and such. There is no constitutional right to not be offended.

This guy knew a thing or two about the constitution and rights if I recall......

Scalia: "If I were king, I would not allow people to go about burning the American flag. However, we have a First Amendment which says that the right of free speech shall not be abridged. And it is addressed, in particular, to speech critical of the government." He voted the bans down as unconstitutional. Twice.

There are bigger fish to fry. There is real work to do other than running around looking for things to be offended about.

18-Feb-17
No. And neither would the founding fathers. Sure it rends my heart to see my country's flag burned. But if it were illegal, the flag wouldn't really mean all that much any more, would it?

18-Feb-17
Yeah, I still disagree that a physical act of burning anything is a form of speech, but you're correct, TD. It's the law of the land. Just like legalized abortion is the law of the land....

Now, municipal ordinances that prohibit burning crap on public property should come into play under these circumstances, and citations should be issued to those who break these laws, IMO. Granted, it ain't going to send anyone to prison for 5 years, but it should not be overlooked as though these ordinances don't exist.

Book 'em, Danno.....

Oh, and sorry, Nva, but you're too old...(and so am I) ... We need someone about 20 or so years younger for that position.... ;^)

18-Feb-17
Bluetick x 2. Further, anyone advocating a ban or assaulting someone who offends in such a manner has a poor understanding of our founding and the Bill of Rights, in general. On the same end of the spectrum as the SJWs.

18-Feb-17
Bluetick x 3

18-Feb-17
Saw a shirt that I like last week. "Stomp my flag and I'll stomp your ass". I'd be fine if it were banned

18-Feb-17
No. Burning is an accepted way to dispose of an unserviceable flag. There's no requirement for it to be done in any particular way except that it be dignified and respectful. Every few years in our hunting camp, we burn flags for various family members ... on national forest land. Stepping on or trampling the flag? There's already a law on the books. Enforce that one.

The Old Sarge

19-Feb-17
Advocating violence against someone exercising their right of free speech is ridiculous. Is it okay for anti gun folks to kick someone's ass for exercising their right to open carry? Voting for a candidate that offends someone? Refuses to self incriminate for a crime? Constitutional freedoms don't go out the window because someone else got offended .

19-Feb-17
You got my vote for Supreme court...mad dog

19-Feb-17
MD, what do you say? Yes, outlaw it? Or No, keep it legal?

I said to outlaw it on public property, but you challenged me when I said to keep it legal on private property. Yet you appear to back up others for their vote to keep it legal on both public & private property.

You're all over the map on this one. What gives?

19-Feb-17
I wish they would just make it illegal. Let people find another way to protest. I think it's a slap in the face of all those who have fought and died for this country. Find another way to protest.

19-Feb-17
All I can say is that when my flag is trashed and I replace it with a new one, I toss the old one in the burn barrel.

19-Feb-17
Apologies...Yes, it should be illegal period. I don't agree with those crafty arguments about public/private property. As I stayed earlier, the ONLY time or way it should be burned is if it torn and tattered and with the utmost respect and Reverence as we do at our American Legion post. Hope I'm clear now. Mad Dog

19-Feb-17
Apologies...Yes, it should be illegal period. I don't agree with those crafty arguments about public/private property. As I stayed earlier, the ONLY time or way it should be burned is if it torn and tattered and with the utmost respect and Reverence as we do at our American Legion post. Hope I'm clear now. Mad Dog

19-Feb-17
Feel exact same way, gator. Mad Dog

19-Feb-17
Thanks, MD. That's where I figured you were coming from. And I wouldn't take a stand against that, despite our different views on private property rights.

19-Feb-17
We're in the same page, bro. It's these other whack jobs out there. We, Deplorables have had it and the anarchists, MSM and the libs don't know what hit them. Mad Dog

19-Feb-17
We're in the same page, bro. It's these other whack jobs out there. We, Deplorables have had it and the anarchists, MSM and the libs don't know what hit them. Mad Dog

19-Feb-17
YES. Not complicated.

19-Feb-17
So what you're saying is that you want whatever you don't like to be outlawed. Got it. Good thing you werent there when they made the Bill of Rights, otherwise it would have the provision that 'only rights that I like will be enforced, all others will be outlawed' or some such nonsense.

19-Feb-17
MikeV, it was an opinion poll. So a few of us gave our honest opinions. Nobody was condemned for disagreeing with anyone. Well, until you came along, anyway....

19-Feb-17
Who actually gives a sh*t was Sybilhesheit says or thinks anyway?

Put me down for a "NO" also, especially when it comes to the government saying that we can/can't. The first amendment basically spells that out plain. But I also think that we as free Americans also have the right to boycott anyone or any entity that would condone such disrespectful, disgusting actions. Colon Craphisdick and the 49er franchise come to mind.

20-Feb-17
The law should be. Very simple understanding. Shot within 24 hours of leave the USA within 24 hours and don't return.

20-Feb-17

20-Feb-17
I've seen that one tony.....a true classic!

20-Feb-17
Today marks my forth day of boot camp, 40 years ago. I pray to God that I never witness anyone burning the US flag. It's hard enough to watch on TV.

20-Feb-17
I'm with Scalia on this one, having heard him speak on that issue. Kyle's solution is fine with me, too.

20-Feb-17
It doesn't need to be in the constitution to be illegal!Flag burning should be illegal by way of a fine!Call it a carbon tax for polluting

20-Feb-17
TSI.... you can't make laws against the bill of rights. No man can. Those rights are not granted by man nor government and cannot be taken away by them. They tried, a couple times, SC struck them down.

The baseball game clip is a good example though of what CAN be done when on property you have no permission or legal right to do so. That is literally arson I believe. And can be physically..... halted.....

20-Feb-17
Driving a car isn't a right!Setting fires in public isn't a right!It most definitely can be a crime in public for sure!

20-Feb-17
I was told when I was a kid the flag wasn't even to touch the ground. No you should not burn the flag. MikeV, what would think would happen if you went to the Soviet Union or China as an American visitor and burned their flag in Red or Tiananmen Square?

20-Feb-17
"States can outlaw cross burning, a historical symbol of hate, without violating free-speech protections in cases where the perpetrator is trying to intimidate or terrorize someone, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled Monday. The 6-3 ruling upheld a Virginia law and similar bans in other states, including California.Apr 8, 2003"

I think the same should be applied to flag burning.

20-Feb-17
"flag" burning should not be made illegal.

Flag burners should be prosecuted if they break any local laws and ordinances such as starting a fire in a public place without a permit.

I would prefer that flag burning (and many other despicable and immoral acts) become so socially unacceptable that it would not even be considered.

I once burned a flag. It was done in private and with thought and prayer for everyone who ever defended it. It was not done in protest.

• Sitka Gear