Mad dog 22-Feb-17
Rocky 22-Feb-17
sportoutfitter 22-Feb-17
Anony Mouse 23-Feb-17
BIGHORN 23-Feb-17
Rocky 24-Feb-17
Anony Mouse 25-Feb-17
19-Feb-17
I didn't serve in the military but I have a tremendous amount of respect and thankfulness for all those who have and currently are. For years, anytime I think someone has served (hat, t-shirt, tattoo, dog tags, etc.) I approach them and thank them for their service. Yesterday I shared an elevator with a Vietnam Vet and after thanking him he said he wished more people felt that way. I think most people do, just not voiced enough. Too many times all we hear are the idiots bashing our military. In the short time I've been on Bowsite, I know a lot of you men are VETS and I want to give you all a huge THANKS!

Jeff

19-Feb-17
Thank you Jeff. I appreciate your kind words.

Mike Vines, US Army '90-'94

My first day of Basic Training was the day that Sadam invaded Kuwait, August 2nd, 1990. If I had to do it all over again, I'd step up and do it all over. Lots of great times, and memories.

19-Feb-17
Thank you, Jeff.

Kyle Meintzer, Strategic Air Command, USAF, 1970-1975

19-Feb-17
Great post. "I think most people do, just not voiced enough." Guilty as charged. Thank you veterans.

Something I've been thinking about and haven't posted on (hopefully this is not too much of a hijack):

For several years I flew the flag in my yard. One day the father of a friend mentioned the fact that a flag should be lit at night. I am not sure at the time if I just did not realize this, or if I was just under the impression that lighting the flag was not expected of individual civilians. I have since stopped flying the flag for some time now.

I would like to fly the flag as a sign of American pride and support of our troops and veterans, however, is it disrespectful to fly it unlit at night? I may be able to get some lighting up eventually, but it isn't something that can be done immediately. Raising and lowering each day is not an option. What are your thoughts gentlemen?

19-Feb-17
Jeff-many thanks, great post!

Mike Lamagdeleine USMC

19-Feb-17
Great Post!. I saw a bumper sticker, that said, "If you like your freedom, Thank a VET." I agree 100%. Thanks to all Veterans., and the Women and Men, that are serving today. This country wouldn't be what it is, without you true HEROES.

19-Feb-17
I get many more "thank you" in this day than I did back in the day when I returned from Vietnam. I appreciate them and I let those in uniform today know I appreciate their service. Semper Fi - Tom USMC 65-87

19-Feb-17
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' "

19-Feb-17
USN... Submarine Service 1970 - 1979.

19-Feb-17

bad karma's embedded Photo
bad karma's embedded Photo
Thanks to all the veterans out there, as well as those who didn't make it back. For a little nostalgia, here's a pic of my late father from the 1930's, in the NH National Guard. He enlisted, and went to Europe for WWII at the age of 32.

19-Feb-17
Since my 28 year old son joined the Army in May I have been wearing an Army fleece at work(myself, my brother and nephew are Army veterans as well). After work recently I stopped at Walmart where a man saw the fleece and asked about it. I explained that I was a vet but was wearing more in support of my son. He shook my hand and thanked us for our service! I wasn't expecting that but it felt good and it's good to know that there are people who still respect the military! Tim Peck- US Army

19-Feb-17
Why some people will bash our veterans will always have me scratching my head. Our veterans have sacrificed so much for our freedoms.

Thank you to every vet for your service.

19-Feb-17
Thanks, Jeff.

One of my best friends never served, but has made a great effort to pay back those who have served. Rarely posts on the CF, but John "Chessbum" Vasos is a man that I envy for his drive and efforts on behalf of our military.

He started the Camp Cuervo project were archery equipment was sent to our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. He was able to set up a number of ranges with targets, bows and arrows. These days he has worked with Wounded Warriors and Braveheart Estates in Pellston, MI.

jack benson, USMC

19-Feb-17
I never served. Many other's sacrifices made it so that I didn't have to. I thank all of you who are and have served for that. I have much respect for you.

19-Feb-17
Today marks the 73rd anniversary of the landing on Iwo Jima, where some of the fiercest and bloodiest fighting of the Pacific War occurred during that 5-week long battle of World War II. There are no words to show how much gratitude is owed to those of you who were willing to sacrifice your lives by serving in our armed forces, whether you saw battle or not!

Maranatha....Come quickly Lord Jesus!

19-Feb-17
oops...make that the 72nd anniversary. At second glance, it just didn't look right, so I used my calculator to get the real answer. Gettin' older every doggone day... ;^)

19-Feb-17
I have a bucket tears from 65' till '75' and a barrel full from memories.

To those who served this nation throughout our history and the present, you are and will forever be honored and remembered in my life, my children's and my grandchildren's. You have made all things for this nation possible. I will not allow it to to be, in my lifetime any other way.

The Rock

19-Feb-17
Thank you sir. W. Hardin, US Navy Radarman 2nd Class 1967-1971 USS Willard Keith DD 775 & USS Laffey DD 724

19-Feb-17
I spend much of my TV time these days watching World War II documentaries, primarily on AHC (American Heroes Channel) & Smithsonian Channels. They should require school kids to watch those shows, IMO.

20-Feb-17
Thank you to all veterans!

20-Feb-17
"Franzen" ....(from above post).... there is a Solar Light & Bracket for flag poles and you can probably find one in SEARCH and I think they can be had fairly cheap too (maybe on eBay?) Herm....Army....Nam ....69-71 God Bless Our Troops & America!

20-Feb-17
Thanks,

Tony USMC 76 - 96

20-Feb-17
Thank you to all our vets for their sacrifice and service!

I was enlisted in the Army and already sworn in, I was going to Germany and going to be an officer and an MP... (I scored pretty high on my ASVABS and was on the delayed entry program). 15 days before I was supposed to leave, I got hit by a truck on my motorcycle and spent my departure date in the hospital with the right side of my face and head being put back together. When I got out of the hospital, I had a Federal warrant out for my arrest because I didn't show up.... When I went to see them, they wouldn't take me, they tore up my contract. About 10 years later, I learned that what they did was illegal since I was already sworn in... Legally they were supposed to discharge me. I wonder a lot what my life would have been like, this was right before the first Gulf War.

God Bless,

Scar.

20-Feb-17
" I wonder a lot what my life would have been like," .

During my 20 years, I spent a lot of time waiting in line . . . . . . . .

20-Feb-17
Was in boot camp 40 years ago. Lord, where does the time go? USAF, Combat Arms, 75350, 77-83

20-Feb-17
I agree 100 percent

Thank you vets!

bill v

20-Feb-17
" I spent a lot of time waiting in line . . . . . . . ."

Don't forget hurrying up to get in that line too.

20-Feb-17
Thanks Herm. I will have to look into one of those lights. Hopefully there is something reliable out there.

20-Feb-17
Other than saying thanks, we owe it to them to continue to defend the very freedom they protect for us from those abroad who mean to take it from us by never resting in the political battle on the homefront fought in DC everyday.

One day we will all have to ante up and we will have the Veterans to thank in making it possible for us to succeed when that day comes because they paved the way to be on the winning team.

20-Feb-17
To all you guys, esp. those who did not serve, I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate all of your kind words.

It means a lot to an old vet.

20-Feb-17
I'm sure I speak for many Kyle, when I say how much you "old vets" mean to us. I see families whose loved ones have paid the ultimate price and my heart breaks, as they have to watch these idiot protests. And to think they died so these fools can do what they do.

20-Feb-17
I started boot camp 50 years ago April 9th. Some dates you just don't forget.

NRTC Great Lakes, Illinois. 4-9-67...... Wish I'd known then what I know now!

20-Feb-17
My dad was career military,...in for 22 years, 2 months, and 2 days,...served in WWII and Korea. I was USMC, 1965 - 1971. Semper Fi to all my brothers in arms, no matter which branch of the service you served in. GOD bless.

20-Feb-17
My dad was career military,...in for 22 years, 2 months, and 2 days,...served in WWII and Korea. I was USMC, 1965 - 1971. Semper Fi to all my brothers in arms, no matter which branch of the service you served in. GOD bless.

21-Feb-17
I wondered the same thing PD.

21-Feb-17
Thanks to all Vets ! I am not a Vet , but I have the deepest respect for anyone who gives or risks life to defend the freedoms that we all take for granted !

21-Feb-17
Thanks

Marine Corps 1986 - 2014

21-Feb-17
I am a life long civilian. I am also active in some veterans causes.

If you really want to thank a Vet...go work for them somewhere......because you will end up working with them and then they will know you mean it. It's not just words.

Whether it is the mother of one of our KIA heroes hugging you crying, or you are the one crying while hugging a man in a wheel chair.....it's worth it.

To me......every single person who is not wearing a uniform should be doing everything they can for those who do, or once did and now need your help.

21-Feb-17
I should also have said.....I am ashamed that in the work I do about 80% of the people that I am involved with are former military.....20% are life long never served like me. That's bull$hit.....it should be the other way around.

21-Feb-17
Yesterday I got to spend a couple hours with an 88 year old Veteran, working at the Aerospace Museum in Palm Springs. Like me, he was an Army Vet, but unlike me served in Japan just after we dropped the A bombs. Got his Bachelor Degree under the first GI Bill, and later went on for his Master Degree. The guy sure did know his trivia, and having witnessed a lot of the history we were looking at, really brought it to life in an entertaining manner. If you go there, find David...he will mentally challenge you as long as you want to stay there, and you will learn a lot! God Bless our Vets, they are truly a National Treasure !

21-Feb-17
I serve as a disabled ski instructor for Wounded Warriors most years. They have had a lot of bad press but they do a lot of good.

21-Feb-17
Wounded Warriors paid for my daughter's stem cell injection, for an injury in her hip she sustained during Marine Infantry Training. They approved the funds in a little over a week. Hard for me to have anything bad to say about them.

21-Feb-17
Did 5 years in my State Guard after 911. Did what we could on the home front after the armories were deployed. My pleasure and honor. Sgt. New York Guard, 14th Brigade "Baptized by Fire." 2001-2005. Matt

21-Feb-17
The best thing WW did was oust those jerks that were using it to promote themselves and lavish parties. I bring my kids to the local VA for bingo whenever possible. My kids KNOW those are our real heroes, not music and sports figures. Mad Dog

21-Feb-17
There are several organizations which use the words 'Wounded Warriors' in their name.

Some are great, some are scams.

WSF has had a great relationship with Wounded Warriors Outdoors for several years.

About five years ago we brought them in as a guest group for our annual Sporting Clays Shoot at 'The Sheep Show.' They send four or five wounded vets to the shoot and we've raised YUGE amounts of money for them at our banquet auctions

21-Feb-17
Nice man . .mad dog

21-Feb-17

Anony Mouse's embedded Photo
Franzen...this is the solar LED light on my flag pole. It rotates with the flag and illuminates all night long. Only weakness is that on cloudy days, it is rather dim at night.

22-Feb-17
When they show up to the ski area with a load of people missing limbs you know you are dealing with the correct group.

Elkmtngear. You have a lot to be proud of with a daughter like that! I don't know anything about the enlisted side of the Marine Corps. I do have it on real good authority on the officer side though......Marine Infantry training is about as tough as it gets outside of special operations.

22-Feb-17
Thanks Randy. She was one of the lucky ones, some of the girls sustained dual hip fractures during the training. They made no concessions, you train as a man.

Kudos to you for the work you do with those American Heroes !

Best of Luck, Jeff

22-Feb-17
Makes me puke when the Olympic athletes run around with the flag all wrapped around them like a bath robe.what a disgrace..DanVan Hoose,ANG,160 th Air Refueling /120 th Combat Support Group

22-Feb-17
Thanks, Jeff from a USMC Cpl. (1963 -1966).

22-Feb-17
I remember RIGHT after 911. A lot of otherwise solid Americans in town were going crazy trying to Find a flag to Fly. THAT, bothered me. Mad Dog

22-Feb-17
I remember RIGHT after 911. A lot of otherwise solid Americans in town were going crazy trying to Find a flag to Fly. THAT, bothered me. Mad Dog

22-Feb-17
.....and still refuse to show even a modicum respect after being called out. Another reason for my deep seated disgust and disdain for these guys which so many here want to give a pass. The enemy themselves would at least weigh in. I guess it is their right as a American.

The Rock

22-Feb-17
Puts into perspective what kinda guys were dealing with Rock!

23-Feb-17
23-Feb-17
Anony Mouse I fly the same two flags at my house. Merle Meszaros, USAF 63-67 Life Member DAV

24-Feb-17
sport, ..ain't that the truth. I would not have expected anything from these guys for our VETS and that is exactly what our VETS are getting....nothing. That is their sin and they can tell their stories in hell for all I care.

The Rock

25-Feb-17
Breaking news for all honorably discharged vets:

Military exchanges will be open to honorably discharged veterans

Starting in November, honorably discharged veterans will be able to access the online stores of military exchanges like the one on Redstone Arsenal. The new benefit will not apply to the actual brick-and-mortar stores, but veterans will be able to shop at any service's exchange website. The online benefit will be available starting on Veterans Day, November 11.

“AAFES is honored to offer this well-deserved benefit to those who raised their right hands, took the oath and served our Nation with honor,” said AAFES Director/CEO Tom Shull. “There are many generations of service members who have not been properly recognized for their sacrifices. The Veterans Online Shopping Benefit (VOSB) acknowledges their service and welcomes them home.”

The exchanges will use information provided by the Defense Manpower Data Center to verify whether or not a veteran is eligible. According to AAFES, if a veterans records are incomplete, they will need to register through the VA.

While an honorably discharged veteran will be able to use the benefit, there are no plans to extend it to their dependents. The benefit was the proposal of AAFES Director/CEO Tom Shull in 2014.

“AAFES, along with its sister exchanges, is ensuring America’s veterans are honored for their service and recognized as Soldiers, Airmen, Marines and Sailors for life,” he said in a statement. “We look forward to welcoming our veterans home this Veterans Day and every day thereafter.”

• Sitka Gear