Anony Mouse 25-Feb-17
Woods Walker 25-Feb-17
Crusader dad 25-Feb-17
Crusader dad 25-Feb-17
ben h 25-Feb-17
BIGHORN 25-Feb-17
HA/KS 26-Feb-17
25-Feb-17
YUP! Combine that with the robots and we could even get rid of the bi-lingual voting signs too!

I will miss the good taco joints though....aw hell, I can make them at home just as well!

25-Feb-17
Many of the so called "good" illegal immigrants have stolen SSNs...by definition, they are just as illegal as any other criminal and should not be employed at all.

25-Feb-17
I have a problem with that, even though it's an appealing idea on the surface.

How are small businessmen supposed to know if they hire someone who they believe to be legal but it turns out they aren't? They show you their green card, etc., but unbeknownst to them, those are forgeries.

Turning small businessmen and women into pseudo ICE agents is a really bad idea.

25-Feb-17
"...The bill will protect businesses who are found to be employing illegals who performed reasonable measures to properly vet their employees. Such measures include utilizing the E-Verify system or complying in good faith with the federal employment verification requirements..."

Not being a business owner or ever having the need, shouldn't it be possible to check SSNs for validity? A business owner who can document that they checked via E-Verify and SSNs should have some protection.

And if the potential employee is valid, but fails to pass checks...it should be their problem to find out why and get their problem fixed. The employer is under no obligation to hire anyone suspect.

25-Feb-17
You ask to see their I-9, follow the instructions and that's all you can do.

25-Feb-17
I just stick with hiring vets. They work as hard as the Mexicans and seem to have more common sense when trying to find ways to be more efficient. They are also typically physically fit. Plus they are trustworthy and imo have earned the first chance at a job opening I may have. It also helps set me apart from my competition when I tell a potential customer that I have three vets working for me instead of three Mexicans. I'll be adding another this spring. I recruit them from the vet outreach program in my city.

25-Feb-17
Trublucolo, first, thanks for your service. Secondly, I can't take credit for who I now hire. It was a suggestion from one of my customers when we were having a discussion about me having a very difficult time finding suitable workers. I'd gone through 8 guys in 3 weeks. He recruits vets for the company he owns and it's worked great for him. Since I've started, it's also worked great for me.

Trax, the idea is a good one but for a small company like mine it's not financially feasible. It's essentially the same as going through a temp agency. The workers they provide are usually not worth the extra cost of going through an agency. It's very cost prohibitive when you have to pay $17 per hr to an agency who only then pays the worker $10 an hr. Usually the worker turns out to be not worth his weight in salt. I made that mistake too and luckily got out before it cost me a fortune.

25-Feb-17
Trax, I like that idea too, except it needed to be implemented 30 years ago. There's probably 20 million people working illegally in our country right now (I think the "official figure" is closer to 12M). Some industries are flooded with them, like landscaping, food service, cleaning services, construction, etc. A friend of mine owns a landscaping company and has a largely Hispanic work force (as does every other similar company) and I'm sure some of them are legal and others are not. Some of his workers have been with him for over 25 years, have houses and families here. What do we do with them? Moving forward I support something along the lines you suggest, but contractors and consumers demanding the lowest cost, I still think there will be a demand for an illegal workforce.

Crusader, I think that's great that you're able to use Vets and be competitive. I used to do quite a bit of work in WI and I'm sure you guys have illegal's too, but it's nothing like the west. CA, AZ, NM, UT, NV are flooded with them. From a consumer standpoint I don't think we can turn off our addiction to low cost workers, legal or illegal.

25-Feb-17
I have told my wife that the only way other than building a fence and guarding it is to have a system of checking out potential employees through a government approved source and, if it is found that the business is still hiring them their license should be taken away.

I never used a hiring service when I was young and looking for a job. I knocked on doors and filled out their applications and attached my resume. After I got out of the military I applied at a CPA firm for a computer job. I was hired over more qualified applicants. After about a year of working for them I asked one of the partners that I hunted with why they hired me. His answer was, you came from a small town in a farming community area. I said, so? He said, we knew you would work.

26-Feb-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear