HA/KS 02-May-17
Chief 419 02-May-17
HA/KS 12-Jun-17
Anony Mouse 12-Jun-17
HA/KS 12-Jun-17
HA/KS 11-Aug-17
06-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
Multiple roads are closed. At least one small town had a prairie fire enter town and burn multiple houses.

06-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
Multiple schools evacuated on the eastern Colorado plains due to fires.

06-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
Winds and very dry conditions are making a real set-up for fires.

06-Mar-17
Wow...hard to imagine at this time of the year.

Prayers for those whose homes are in danger. BTDT.

06-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
Town near me being evacuate. Interstate closed.

06-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

06-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
The Clark County sheriff posted on Facebook: “Official emergency, evacuate Englewood and Ashland. Englewood residents go south to OK. Ashland residents goes east to Coldwater. Both towns are endanger of the incoming fires.”

06-Mar-17
Mouse, March is traditionally a bad month for wildfires in KS.

06-Mar-17
You in any danger of having to evacuate?

06-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

HA/KS's Link

06-Mar-17
If I have trouble, my trouble will likely be the least of the news. A wildfire coming into town would have to burn through a couple of miles of houses to get to mine.

06-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Meanwhile, tornadoes at the other end of the state.

06-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

06-Mar-17
From someone who went through a house fire, prayers for those in the path of the fires. It is quite different reading about these events than having to live through them.

The last two times we were out in Jackson to see our kids, there were forest fires of same size. Last summer's fires were allowed to burn themselves out as they went towards undeveloped areas rather than communities.

06-Mar-17
Be safe Henry. Our thoughts are with you, your family and your neighbors.

06-Mar-17

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
I am on a wind farm on the border of Clark County. This shows max wind speed of one of my cranes. Another was at 80 mph. One of the crane operators that works for me was staying in Ashland. He said he had to go to Pratt.

07-Mar-17
Western Kansas is for sure one of the most windy places I have ever been at times....and I'm pretty sure I have not even seen it on a bad day. Good luck Henry hope it gets back to normal soon.

07-Mar-17

LINK's embedded Photo
Smoke from that fire looking north.
LINK's embedded Photo
Smoke from that fire looking north.
Ha the fire that evacuated Ashland and Englewood started in Oklahoma about 20 miles west of me.

07-Mar-17

LINK's embedded Photo
Fire looking south of my single wide paradise.
LINK's embedded Photo
Fire looking south of my single wide paradise.
There were fires literally every 30 miles or so burning from west to east. The fireman were concentrated on the heads of these fires and about 5 the wind shifted to out of the north. This took the smoldering fires on the side and made them huge fires. Another fire was just 1.5 miles south of me. Didn't get any of our cattle but several neighbors lost cattle, grass, hay, fence and a few lost homes. Every where I went this morning there were brown cows, that used to be black.

07-Mar-17

LINK's embedded Photo
My neighbors place. He was fortunate to have only lost a few calves, hay, 3 miles of fence and a wheat truck.
LINK's embedded Photo
My neighbors place. He was fortunate to have only lost a few calves, hay, 3 miles of fence and a wheat truck.

07-Mar-17

LINK's Link
Fire in the video at link was the one moving east just 1.5 miles south of my house when the wind shifted. It's now 15 miles south.

07-Mar-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
This is a panorama from 25 miles south of my house, looking north. It encompasses about 40 miles east to west. Still can count at least 5 big fires burning.

07-Mar-17
Very Scary, Prayers for all involved. be safe and take care of each other!

God Bless,

Scar.

07-Mar-17
Prayers to those folks in harm's way

central Flahduh just saw many thousands of acres burned, many lost everything

Can't imagine the feeling of total loss, but recently lost my hunt camp to an isolated wildfire...wasn't much but wow does it suck to to pull up to ashes and steel remnants instead of a comfortable shelter in the woods

07-Mar-17
Hopefully after the next day or so this wind will die down... Bad deal, and yet on my way into the city this AM for work I still see morons throwing cigarettes out the windows of their vehicles IDIOTS

07-Mar-17
One of my guys just went home to try and get as much out of his house in Ashland. From the Jobsight looking towards Ashland I see nothing but smoke.

07-Mar-17
Saw this on another site.

This is a sad morning in the Texas Panhandle. Last night in the fires we lost two beautiful young people. We have lost Cody Crockett and Sydney Wallace. During the fires these two braved the flames to save cattle in McLean. I have tremendous respect for the ranching community and the traditions they pass to their future generations. Without them we wouldn't be a rich culture. We lost a part of that last night. While these two are gone here on earth they are now ranching and herding the cattle on a thousand hills for the greatest rancher and cattle baron of all. Stop for a moment and hug your kids. Say a prayer for the families of these two. The families will need it.

07-Mar-17
I don't know about the mid West, but February and March are fire season in the Appalachians

07-Mar-17

LINK's embedded Photo
For reference those flames are over a mile away from that house.
LINK's embedded Photo
For reference those flames are over a mile away from that house.
The lady this house belongs to goes to my church and my brother has the land on fire. It's about 8 miles from my house.

07-Mar-17
Pig,

Did you say GRAPEFRUIT size hail? I never heard of such a thing. That will keep the roofers busy I imagine. Incredible.

The ROCK

07-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

HA/KS's Link
"Larry Konrade of Ashland likes hunting everything from doves to huge whitetail bucks.

But when he left his house Tuesday morning with a favored rifle, he was dreading the day. He felt even worse when it was over.

“It’s horrible, just horrible. I left the house with (60) shells and used them all,” Konrade said. He said he probably killed 40 cows, “and in a lot of places there weren’t even very many left alive to put down.”

07-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

HA/KS's Link
This one is near where I lived in Colorado.

"The fire began Monday morning northeast of Sterling, near the Logan County town of Crook, and pushed its way 23 miles across Interstate 76 into Phillips County. Volunteer firefighters and local farmers banded together to prevent the wind-whipped blaze from destroying Haxtun, a town of about 900 people."

07-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
This is the one closest to me. Friends had to evacuate yesterday.

07-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

HA/KS's Link
"The counties of Clark, Ellis, Ellsworth, Hodgeman, Lincoln, Reno, Rooks, and Russell are battling active fires. Fires in Clark County have destroyed more than 351,000 acres of land. Damage has been reported to approximately 30 structures and bridges in the county. Additional damage assessment will be completed when crews can enter restricted areas.

Ford County reports seven homes were destroyed. The fire department monitored hotspots overnight to keep fire away from structures.

Reno County officials estimate 6,000 acres have burned in the county; 4,500 acres of that is from the Highlands Area subdivision grassfire. At least 30 homes are destroyed, with the possibility that more are damaged. Local officials have been unable to get into the area to assess damages due to the fire."

08-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
"This is a sad morning in the Texas Panhandle. Last night in the fires we lost two beautiful young people. We have lost Cody Crockett and Sydney Wallace. During the fires these two braved the flames to save cattle in McLean."

08-Mar-17
So sad. That is a couple of fine looking young people there.

08-Mar-17
Very sad to see all the heartbreak the fires are causing.

08-Mar-17
1000 square miles burned just in KS.

09-Mar-17

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Got this from my daughter today. She works for the National Grain and Feed Association. This is from one of their members......

"And From the Ashes comes life. Ain't this a beautiful sight? Mama is a little burnt, but doing fine, as is baby." #kansasfires

09-Mar-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo

LINK's Link
3 wildfires in Ok and Kansas started on Monday burnt over 800,000 acres. I live between the top two fires pictured. Pat hunts at the right end of the top fire.

09-Mar-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Pat it's a sad deal about the cattle, a lot had to be put down.

09-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
But it’s the fact that all of his family is still alive that causes the weathered, 58-year-old to stop the truck, think for a bit and sob. On Monday afternoon, he watched his brother Mark and his wife, Eva, disappear behind a wall of fire as they tried to save their horses and dogs at their home, which was destroyed by the fire.

“I had no choice but to turn around and drive away, with the fire all around me,” he said softly and slowly. “For a half-hour I didn’t know if my brother and his wife were dead or alive. I really didn’t.”

09-Mar-17
This tragedy in Kansas made me think of this old John Denver tune. I've got to believe that there are a lot of "Mathews" in Kansas...........

10-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
"She could barely hear him on the phone over the wind asking her what she absolutely needed out of the house. She tried to think of the most irreplaceable items as he and a neighbor ran inside grabbing items and racing back to safety with the smoke and flames bearing down."

10-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

HA/KS's Link
"It could take between 25 and 100 years before the rangeland destroyed in this week's wildfire in Logan and Phillips counties is fully recovered."

""The topsoil is all gone, and in a lot of places it has eroded down to the subsoil," he said."

11-Mar-17
"Just unloaded two loads of hay out on the ranch in Canadian. When we rolled up loaded with hay the tough old lifelong rancher walked up to the window to introduce himself. With tears in his eyes that began to roll down his old weathered face he said with a cracking voice "you've just made my whole day sir". Without a dry eye between us we started to get unloaded. That exact moment is why we are doing it folks. That's why we are ALL doing what we can to give these fine people some hope. It sure made it worth 5 hours of sleep in the last three days and put pride in my heart and soul for all the people who have donated a helped me do what I'm doing.

I will cling to the old rugged cross, and exchange it someday for a crown."

11-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
"In burnt Kansas, donations started rolling in before flames died down"

I saw several big loads of hay headed toward the fire today.

12-Mar-17
America is a nation like no other in history.

“I have lost everything.”

“Out of the 812 head of cows, they had to put down 725 of them.”

“Calves are burned up on one side, and just fine on the other.”

“I have already found 15 more animals to put down this morning. I am tired of killing.”

“As I was fighting the fire, I knew the direction it had turned to. My house, my property.”

“My family runs 6 generations deep on this land.”

“Only 6 steers and a few heifers were spared.”

The reality of the fires that hit Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Colorado. Ranchers finally, finding time and energy to assess the damage that had been done. Within minutes and hours, ranches were scorched, livestock, pets, and wildlife had no where to go, and the dynamics of the ranching communities were forever changed.

But, within a matter of minutes and hours, communities, neighbors, friends, regions, areas, states, and even a nation began to come together; to unite. Drop off points in the Texas Panhandle are overflowing with mountains of bottles of water, and loads after loads of hay. Donations that were selflessly given, time and effort spent, humbly, to provide care for livestock and ranchers, alike.

“A drop of 80 squares bales of alfalfa just came.”

“If we get anymore bottles of water, we are going to be able to fill water trucks to water livestock!”

“Every bit of these donations are going to be used.”

“I have a semi and a load of hay, where do I need to take it?”

“Hi, I am from Vermont, and want to help! Where and what do people need the most?”

Thousands of people and dollars coming together to help to rebuild the foundation that America is built off of. A delicate culture that will need more cultivation, now, than ever before.

The ranching lifestyle is a more romantic profession. Not the love kind of romance. But more of, an ebb and flow of give and takes, life and death, good and bad days, the promise of tomorrow, but living in today because tomorrow is not always promised. It is the memories on the walls of the first homestead of a ranch, the whispers off of sorting pens that your great-great granddad built. It is the the first stand of a newborn calf, the bawl of a momma who has lost her baby, the creek of a saddle room door. The thought of “if these walls could talk”, the cultivation of the land so that it continues to provide for the animals that the Lord has chosen you to take care of. And, it is the moments of major destruction and devastation that the ranching lifestyle becomes the most romantic.

There is no day off to mourn, except for the ones who lost their lives during the fires, there is no day off to be down on the fact that land and livestock and lives were taken. No. These men and women, woke up, prepped their hearts and minds and set off to rescue the ones that made it through the blaze. The ones, surrounded by ash, that were able to make it through. They went on scavenging their property for animals, and save-able pieces of fencing, barns, maybe even a halter or two. Calves that were orphaned are now being bottle fed, cows without their calves are having to be milked to release the pressure off their bags. Horses are being doctored, wildlife is being fed off of people’s back porches. Life and death, the good and bad, come with tired eyes, giving hearts, and strong, calloused hands.

“This is a pretty harsh world we live in. And Mother Nature can sure be relentless more times than not. And that’s why I would say I’m drawn to our culture. Our lifestyle. No matter what this old world puts on us or tries to take from us we overcome it time and time again. This is proved throughout our history. From the livestock lost to lives of loved ones, before and in my time, that have been cut short. I know these times will come to pass and we will dust off and keep going. Never forgetting these times.”

The heritage that was lost during the fires will continue to live on through the men and women. The generation of cattle blood line that were taken, the thousands of acres of pastures that were consumed, the homesteads that had been on the property long before cars and cell phones, now just a past piece of history that stays in the minds of the ranchers, cowboys, and cowgirls. The rebuilding process will be long and hard, days of bad will intercept some of the days of good. But the hope and faith that has and will continue to be provided will give the strength to look forward to the days to come because…

Out of the ashes, we rise.

–Hope Sorrells

12-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

HA/KS's Link
Two firefighters raced up to her home only minutes after the Tajchmans evacuated, Danielle Tajchman said.

They fought the fire on the Tajchman front lawn, with the wind howling, battling flames that leaped high.

The firefighters involved later contacted Tajchman on Facebook and sent video.

“In a video he sent me, taken at the end of our driveway, you can hear , ‘Trying to save this house; I think it’s a goner.’

"she knows the name of one of the Riley County firefighters. She said he’s a young volunteer firefighter who is attending school in Manhattan.

He told her he didn’t want to be identified because he didn’t fight the fire to gain recognition,"

12-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

HA/KS's Link
I should add that honking the pickup horn is who many ranchers call their cattle. If they hear honking, they generally come on a run.

"One miracle happened Tuesday, when another round of fires blew through.

Greg saw a wall of smoke and the neighbor’s steers pouring out of the smoke near the ranch.

“They saw me over on the road,” he said. “I honked my horn at the steers and they knew someone might feed them. So they came out of the smoke to me and I was able to open a gate right across the road. There was another open gate and I was able to drag them out across to another wheat pasture where they started grazing.”

Then he broke down."

12-Mar-17
My eyes are dripping and my throat is choking. Keep us posted Henry, please.

12-Mar-17
WW, the reason I keep posting this stuff is related to what one TX businessman said "A 100 acre fire on either coast is news for days. A 100 square mile fire out here doesn't even get mentioned."

12-Mar-17
Today, I happened to drive through an area of one of the smaller fires that was less than an hour from me. For several miles, everything on both sides of the road was pretty much gone. In places, it looked like even the pavement tried to burn.

13-Mar-17
I drove through a pretty good sized fire last Thursday going on a spring fishing trip in Southwestern Missouri. It looked like it was getting ready to jump the state highway I was travelling on.

13-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
A great article about how difficult the recovery process may be.

"It took three hours before we saw a hawk. A horned lizard was the only wildlife we saw moving across the ground the first two hours. We finally saw a herd of 19 deer. Some carried deep burns. I’m sure some of those have since died. Carcasses of many more littered the prairie. The sight of so many dead coyotes, the most cunning form of wildlife in Kansas, was enough to know the devastation."

16-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
The boys from Iowa, South Dakota and Minnesota pulled into town this morning with some relief for our farmers who are trying to recover after the Logan County fire. God bless each and everyone of you and everyone else who has donated, volunteered and helped the families in any way they can!

16-Mar-17
"Estimates indicate that up to 100,000 miles of ranch fencing was destroyed in Kansas."

Approximate cost is $4,000/mile to replace. Do the math!

The good thing is that in that area, a fence will easily last over 50 years with annual maintenance. The bad thing is that they can't wait 50 years to get it fenced.

Market Value of Products Sold in Clark County in 2012 (most recent I could locate) $126,151,000

That is right. It would take 31 years just to recover the cost of new fencing if farm income stayed steady and 100% of GROSS sales went to purchase new fencing.

16-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

17-Mar-17
Farmer from east Texas probably and hopefully got shut down. Hay is being refused from places that have Fire ants. I have relatives in east Texas. If you stand still long enough your eaten alive, leave food remnants in your car (road trip with kids) and your car is full of fire ants.

17-Mar-17

Hay from Michigan...

17-Mar-17
"Farmers helping farmers. Not many other walks of life where this kind of stuff happens."

There are good people practically everywhere, but helping others is SOP in farm country.

17-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
"All three sisters lost their homes in the wildfires that swept through Clark County."

“I’m really glad their houses burned down with mine,” Katie Shaw said as her sisters broke out in laughter. “I’m just kidding. I’m just kidding.”

But they’ll build it back together, said Jenny Betschart, the oldest of the three women whom many in the Ashland area still refer to by their maiden name as the “Giles sisters.”

The three have divided up ranch tasks. Shaw has taken control of hay and feed, Betschart has dealt with the dead cattle and now government relations, and the third sister, Molly Beckford, is in charge of the living cattle."

19-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
Families volunteering to take in orphaned calves after Kansas wildfires - at link.

19-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
"This hasn’t been a popular news story because it didn’t affect the masses living within urban areas, it wasn’t politically fueled and there was no rioting to spark controversy. It hasn’t been on the news because it affected a group of people that – rather than march, protest, loot or cause any disturbance at all – tend to keep their head down, get their work done because they have a responsibility not taken lightly and typically mind their own business."

"We don’t have to search for good in the world,

because we live amongst it. "

20-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
Another great story.

"Donated saddle keeps blessing as it finds its second new home in fire-ravaged Kansas"

"Drummond Ranch cowboy Chris Potter from Maple City, Kan. and three friends, Lance Alcorn, Russell Powell and Connor Grokett, went to Ashland, Kan., when the fires were still smoldering, to lend a hand.

Along with many donated supplies, the cowboys were hauling two saddles, hoping to find a couple of people who had lost theirs in the fire.

Both saddles were handmade and new. One was a trophy saddle Potter won ranch rodeoing and the other had already had a productive life, though it had never been on a horse.

Amy Potter, Chris's wife, said Justin and Brooke Cargill donated that handmade saddle for Junior Ranch Rodeo Association members to raffle."

""Our neighbor, Dave Harris, has given me $100 or $200 every year and told me to put it in the raffle – but he didn't want any tickets," Amy said. "His tack is 50 years old, so this year I wrote him some tickets." The JRRA raised $5,000 raffling the saddle.

Fate had a plan for that saddle. Harris won it in the drawing. When Harris learned of the trip to Ashland, he brought the saddle to Chris, along with $400, asking him to find someone who needed it more than he did."

23-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
From the link: "Slightly over two weeks out from the disastrous Starbuck Wildfire sees the land sprouting back to life. The worst wildfire in Kansas recorded history scorched nearly 670,000 acres of Clark and Comanche county's finest ranch lands. Thousands of head of livestock, thousands of miles of fencing, homes, outbuildings, wildlife and human lives were lost in Oklahoma and Kansas. Some ranches may not recover. Yes, it is bad. But the green hope is sprouting from the ashes. I'll attempt to help convey that sense--a sense of hope...."

25-Mar-17

HA/KS's Link
The recovery continues.

"Teresa Jones, her daughter and eight other teenagers from Labette County in eastern Kansas finished dinner at a nearby table. The next morning they picked up debris from one of nearly 40 homes destroyed in the fires. Eventually they helped clean up damaged fences."

“We had three guys come in and say they came to help with fences,” Hazen said. “I figured they were locals, but their license plate was from Indiana. They’d just picked up and come to Ashland. We’ve had quite a few people just walk in and say, ‘What can I do? … Where do I need to go?"

26-Mar-17
When It's Cowboys Versus Wildfires, America Wins

From the article:

"...What’s the lesson in all this? Charity is best provided by grassroots, individual efforts, not a nameless faceless bureaucracy. Real charity provides a face of hope to the receiver and is a blessing to the giver. There is no reward in forcing your neighbor via taxation to pay for something you desire someone else to have whether it be a cell phone, free housing, food or even a new fence.

There is hope for America, if we can grasp this concept and live our lives more like the cowboys, ranchers, and farmers who derive their very existence from the land and nature itself which can sometimes be very cruel. That’s why they are some of the most down to earth people you would ever meet or know. After all, the closer to the earth you are, the more down to earth you will be.

With faith in God, some help from their neighbors and good hearted people across the country, they will climb back on the horse and get back to work. That’s the cowboy way..."

28-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
Missouri Cattleman's Association headed to Kansas with hay donations.
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Missouri Cattleman's Association headed to Kansas with hay donations.

28-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

HA/KS's Link
"They were struck by what they saw once the convoy rolled into Clark County. It was the first time the crew had been to this part of Kansas, and the scene left an impression. “It was pretty devastating – we got south of Bucklin, and it’s bad,” he said of the scorched earth. “I take it that’s the north side [of the fire]; and it only goes worse the farther south you get,” he said. “Really, it’s amazing they were able to save this town.”

28-Mar-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

05-Apr-17
Trump Authorization Rescues Ranchers Racked By Wildfires

Via Daily Caller:

The government will allow ranchers affected by devastating wildfires to graze livestock on protected grasslands for a limited time, the Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced Tuesday.

President Donald Trump directed the department to open emergency grazing in certain lands in the Conservation Reserve Protection program in Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma following wildfires that started March 6.

The USDA estimates that about 1.6 million acres of grassland have been burned, and more than 15,000 have been killed in the blaze.

“Ranchers are facing devastating conditions and economic calamity because of these wildfires and they need some relief, or else they face the total loss of their herds in many cases,” Michael Young, deputy acting secretary of the USDA, said in a statement.

Keep reading…

05-Apr-17
The area got several inches of gentle rain over the past week or so. The healing has started.

20-Apr-17

HA/KS's Link
"Kansas students give senior trip money to fire victims"

20-Apr-17
Very generous and thoughtful.

02-May-17

HA/KS's Link
Now it's a blizzard!

""We've got cattle buried everywhere, some alive, some not so alive," says rancher Troy Coen. "We've got dead cattle and calves with no mamas because their calves are there, but no cows.""

02-May-17
Kansas people can't seem to get a break. I hope tornado season is a quite one. Are any fires still burning after the rain & snow?

12-Jun-17

HA/KS's Link
"This is tough, but it’s danged sure not comparable to storming the beaches at Normandy. We kind of owe it to them to step up to the plate and get this accomplished.”

12-Jun-17
Henry...thanks for the article.

While reading it, I realized that our house fire back in 2011 was a mini version of these wild fires and our recovery was very similar. Never thought about our fire in this manner before. Friends, neighbors and strangers seem always to be present when needed...the real heart of America unaffected by politics.

12-Jun-17
Yes, the real heart of an exceptional nation.

11-Aug-17

HA/KS's Link
"After devastating wildfires, Kansas ranchers hay it forward"

"Time and money are tight for southwest Kansas rancher Bernie Smith. The March wildfires that burned more than 700,000 acre in Kansas killed more than 100 of his cattle and destroyed miles of fencing. He’s scrambling to get prepared for cold weather ahead.

“Grass is thin,” said Smith, who has put in before dawn to after dark days since the fire. “It’s going to be a long winter. We’re going to need to be feeding (hay bales) a lot.”

Rebuilding ranches after the wildfire could take a lifetime Rebuilding ranches after the wildfire could take a lifetime But last weekend Smith and other fire-affected friends sent 32 tons of nutritious hay they could have fed their own cattle to a rancher in Montana who’d just been through July’s 270,000-acre Lodgepole fire."

• Sitka Gear