Contributors to this thread:
Salagi 11-Apr-17
orionsbrother 11-Apr-17
Two Feathers 11-Apr-17
Mike B 12-Apr-17
Salagi 13-Apr-17
11-Apr-17

Salagi's Link
Some of you know that (thanks to good kids), I've had the privilege of dealing with science fairs from the local to the international level while at a small school. A couple of years ago, a film professor from the University of Arkansas began work on a film highlighting science fairs. He finally completed it last fall and has released it. It has been shown at the National Science Teachers Association meeting right before the keynote speaker (some dude named Bill Nye), and also won a national first place at a competition for the producer. It is also scheduled to be shown at a few other places internationally. He brought it to our school and showed it to all the kids grade 5-12 today (many of them are in it) and I don't believe I have ever seen a group of kids pay attention like that before at an assembly. Anyway, I thought some of you might enjoy it, and he gave permission to share. I think he did an outstanding job

11-Apr-17
I'll check this out with the kids tomorrow night. Thanks for posting.

11-Apr-17
I enjoyed watching it. Our grandkids are in a small town (700+) school and the science fair is always a fun thing. It's like pulling teeth to get them started and working on their project but when it's fair day and the judges come by the kids are pretty pumped. Alpena can be proud of their kids performance.

12-Apr-17
Met Bill Nye back in about 1987. I was working for a cable TV outfit and went to his apartment in Seattle to change out his converter.

Guy approached me with something along the lines of "Hey! I'm Bill Nye the Science Guy...don't you know me?".

"Nope"

He seemed to feel he was a celeb way back then, but to me he was a odd geek and I just wanted to get done and out of there.

He has done a lot for kids and science however, so props to him for his science motivational skills.

13-Apr-17
One thing I forgot to mention, When the film was shown at school, and Brandon was announced the winner at the regional science fair, the kids started cheering again just as they had done 3 years ago when he did win. I had already seen the film thanks to a special link given to a few of us...special...ones, so I knew when to watch for the kids reactions to certain parts, made it evn more fun for me.

• Sitka Gear