Coyote 65 20-Apr-17
Shuteye 20-Apr-17
Joey Ward 20-Apr-17
Shuteye 20-Apr-17
Salagi 20-Apr-17
one-eye 21-Apr-17
Woods Walker 24-Apr-17
13-Apr-17
damn good idea. They need to give it to elementary school kids though not HS.

13-Apr-17
They need to focus on reading writing and arithmetic. I don't need the school to teach my kids about condoms, abstinence, std's or firearms. Teach them how to write, do math, science and think critically. I guess as an elective it's fine and no different than home economics, wood shop or drivers ed but gosh dang let's focus on teaching the things teachers should be teaching first.

13-Apr-17
The article states that it would be developed as an elective. I did Hunter Safety as an elective in 8th grade in 1980 in Wyoming, along with every other boy in my grade. The other option was Home Ec, which wasn't really an option for us tough guys at the time :)

The article also quotes one person as complaining that HS is too early to teach kids about guns. But, considering that 18 is the entry age for military service, it certainly is not too early.

13-Apr-17
A kid (13 yo) just shot himself while live streaming on instagram. Firearm safety for curious dumb kids.

20-Apr-17

Coyote 65's embedded Photo
Coyote 65's embedded Photo
Firearms safety 1956 style.

20-Apr-17
We used to clean our guns in Shop class back in the 50's. No one ever got shot.

20-Apr-17
Shuteye, we just stuck with the wood working. Bowls, bats, book ends, cutting boards, rod and gun racks, etc...........

No one lost an appendage, but there was some blood shed. :-)

We cleaned our guns at home.

20-Apr-17
Joey Ward, they wanted us to know how to properly clean a shotgun since we all used them a lot and they needed cleaning from time to time. Mossbergs were the easiest and took less tools. I can still smell the Hoppes #9.

20-Apr-17
I teach Hunter's Ed to 7th grade students every year. It fits in perfectly with the agri curriculum in Arkansas.

21-Apr-17
Hackbow- as a 16 y.o HS Junior I can believe that, since by 16 those hormones are raging. But as a 13 y.o. boy in 8th grade, girls were fascinating but scary.

And our woodshop class got bloody at times, but it was usually because some kid was being stupid and as a consequence didn't get much sympathy from anyone. The closest we came to having guns in class was a couple of wood stocks brought in for refinishing, including one that I worked on after it spent a week in the bottom of a creek.

24-Apr-17
I grew up in suburban New Jersey in the 50's and 60's (about 25 miles from NYC) and the high school I went to actually had a RIFLE CLUB! On the day we had a meeting (which was a trip to the local shooting range) we'd bring our rifles to school and either leave them in the car or put them in the vice-principal's office.

Seems like a dream now!

• Sitka Gear