HA/KS 14-Apr-17
orionsbrother 15-Apr-17
orionsbrother 15-Apr-17
Salagi 15-Apr-17
JLS 15-Apr-17
LINK 15-Apr-17
orionsbrother 16-Apr-17
14-Apr-17
My wife enjoys needling me about the stable of tents, tipis and tarps that I own. Some spring weekends will have five or six tents set up in the yard for repair, cleaning, nikwax application etc.

The wife will then make a point of questioning how many other tents are in our possession... though she knows full well what the answer is... and then she'll roll her eyes and cast aspersions. The kids join in, asking her, "What do you think we should get dad for Father's day? We know! A tent!"

Well, not too long ago, my wife expressed a desire for a more spacious tent for when we camp at a friend's lake and do family trips where we are essentially car camping. My tents are mainly backpacking and canoe tripping tents.

I caught a deal on a Kodiak canvas tent and picked it up for her.

I raced home from work today to beat sunset. I rounded up the kids and we popped the tent up for its inaugural pitch and to season it by wetting it with the hose. It was in the mid sixties and unsurprisingly, the kids ended up spraying each other with the hose, running around the yard and slipping, sliding and rolling around in the muddy grass and cold water from the hose. They all ended up soaked, muddy, with grass and smiles stuck to them.

I was able to get the tent seasoned.

My wife came out back to check on the commotion, looked at the drenched, muddy and grass flocked kids as they horse laughed and bounded around the yard and she put on the "Mom Look".

"You're all soaked and dirty. That water is ice cold. Get in the breezeway, take off your clothes and put them in the washer. Don't track mud and grass through the house. You're all a bunch of boneheads!"

The kids followed orders, but muttered a bit about the fun being called off.

I quietly pointed out that they were blowing off some steam, weren't fighting, were laughing, it was all harmless and that it was all part of the tangential benefit of owning a tent. That since it was her tent, it was technically her fault. That she really should have been taking part in the process. I suggested that maybe if she owned a few more tents, she'd open herself up to more joy.

The kids spilled out of the back door in various stages of soggy undress and started cheering, "Yeah! Mom needs more tents! You should buy her more tents, dad! Mother's day is coming!" They jumped around on the patio like chimps.

"Let's have elk and kipper snacks for dinner!"

"Tents and elk make you happier!"

I smiled and gave the wife a little squeeze. "You know, honey, I'm glad that at least the kids are recognizing the wisdom of their father... and now that you have your own tent, we can expect you to come around. But I won't be getting you another tent for Mother's day. I want to get you something special... like merino socks."

My wife sprayed me with the hose. I'm pretty sure the entire neighborhood heard the kids' guffaws.

They're still echoing in my head after my shower as I enjoy this cold beer.

14-Apr-17
It's the simple pleasures that bring the most joy.

14-Apr-17
Smiles...a beautiful day in Michigan too.

14-Apr-17
Very good story. You painted the picture well! Life is grand!

14-Apr-17
You are a great writer. Captured the essence of all of it perfectly. You are truly a blessed man. God Bless everyone

14-Apr-17
You are indeed a wealthy man Rick!

14-Apr-17
"Get in the breezeway, take off your clothes" For some reason I thought this was an "order" you would follow with alacrity.

15-Apr-17
Thanks guys. Tent is being drizzled on for additional seasoning. We'll backyard camp tomorrow night and use our bows to shoot candy filled plastic eggs off the 3D target on Sunday.

Eggs are boiled. Decorating to take place tomorrow night. Production of Easter egg chick centerpieces for the tables at church is in full swing. My dining room is littered with strands of fake grass, fuzzy pom-pom things with eyes and pipe-cleaner feet, scraps of paper and wads of paper towel with white and hot glue gobs.

The house went from frenetic, bustling activity to silent in what seemed like an instant. One kid said, "I'm tired." and they all pulled the plug, brushed their teeth and requested a tuck in.

Today goes in the "win" column. Tomorrow's going to be busy too. I'm hoping it'll be as pleasant with half as much laughter.

I'm also hoping that you'll all have a great Easter with your families. Happy Easter a little early.

15-Apr-17
I must've been typing at the same time Henry. Sadly, the "Take off your clothes" directive was not aimed at me. Though I suspect that I may have been the primary target of the "bonehead" label.

15-Apr-17
Thanks for giving me a big smile today. :)

15-Apr-17
Funny write up, happy Easter to you too.

15-Apr-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Spring is a special time.

16-Apr-17
Ha!!! That's pretty much the picture, Link!! Less mud on mine with grass stuck to them.

We had a torrential downpour come through and the tent performed fine. It became the homework center in between the Easter egg hunt and Easter dinner.

Our bit of Americana is a little overtired and less idyllic tonight, but one's in the bath, one's out for a walk with mom and one's sentenced to the homework desk. We're going divide and conquer with imposed early bedtime. Still a good day all together.

But no shooting Easter eggs off the 3D target. The back 3/4 of the backyard is a swamp.

• Sitka Gear