bluedog 25-May-17
Joey Ward 25-May-17
wilbur 25-May-17
BowSniper 25-May-17
BowSniper 25-May-17
Joey Ward 25-May-17
Anony Mouse 25-May-17
17-May-17
Currently driving the F150 EcoBoost, approaching 85000 with zero problems...Like what Toyota offers with the Tundra, just not the MPG and would think a company like Toyota would be all over that...

Price tags are a point too, with the F150 at $40000 and above with Toyota a close 2nd there...I hate Truck shopping! Lol

17-May-17
I don't have either but I would go with Toyota from what I have seen with friend's trucks.

17-May-17
they awful proud of trucks these days....I bought a brand new F150 back around 2001 for under 28k. 4wd, off-road package, extended cab. I think I drove it for two years and sold it for $20k. Wish I could still do that.

17-May-17
I'm on my third GMC Sierra Classic , an '86, a '99, and now a 2012, and have never had a problem with any of them.

I put 200,000 miles + on the first one, 170,000+ on the second one and my current one, a 2012 has just 39,000 on it.

I have nothing bad to say about 150s, Tundras, Rams, or any of the other choices. But clearly my choice of three Sierras speaks well for my experience with them.

17-May-17
I really like the new Fords but they literally are tin :^)

17-May-17
You found a new Tundra for less than the F150? When I was looking at them a while back, they seemed incredibly expensive compared to the Fords.

I had a Dodge Ram - but couldn't afford to keep up with the transmission(s), suspensions and rust issues. The engine was solid, but everything else was falling apart.

Ended up with a Toyota FJ as the mileage and longevity were my key points. It has been really reliable although it will tip over in the snow which isn't much fun.

17-May-17
First 4wd was a Silvarado, 5.7, ran it up to 253,000 and is in the shed today running fine. My NEW one is a 2013 5.3 with now 80,000, doing fine but need to find someone to eliminate the eco 4v and 8v program, it is causing problems for some folks but GM won't take it out of their program, Thank you Obama.

17-May-17
Pat, don't use Toyota service dept for anything but warranty work and recalls, find a good mom and pop shop for everything else.

Pigdoc - Tundras are made in Texas and Tacomas are made in Indiana.

17-May-17
I'm in my second Tundra. Put 150k on the first one, a 2008. In was never in the shop for anything but routine maintenance. I sold it for 20k when I wanted a new one.

My 2015 is the fancy 1794 edition. Toyota's version of Fotd's King Ranch" model. I love it so far.

Matt

17-May-17
I bought my kids each a Camry. Both started burning oil at 30k miles. At 50k they were burning 2 qts every 1000 miles and Toyota says then are within specifications and refuses to do anything about it. Search the web and you will see its a huge issue and lots of people are pissed. I will never own another Toyota , sold both and got a Subaru and and f150 for them. I heard the tundra has a recall for the leaf springs. If you brake real hard on a downhill the shackles slide off the axle . Where do you think that happens! Not on the freeway.

17-May-17
Do Tundras still come with 4:10 gears with a 5.7 engine in them?

I know there suspension is pretty dang tuff for a stock suspension.

I would go with a Tundra. It's going to be my next truck.

17-May-17
My personal truck is a 1500 Sierra 5.3L and it's been a good truck for me (150k and done nothing but maintenance). Most all of our other trucks are Fords. My dad picked up a 2017 F-150 3.5L ecoboost last week and it really got me thinking if he wouldn't have been better off getting a larger V8 instead of the turbo. I'm not much of a motor/car guy but I get the concept that as you add features to the motor/exhaust systems you add potential points of failure/maintenance. If you really want the power and don't mind the occasional $3-4k (guessing) repair bill to replace the turbo, by all means get it. I understand that some guys can get 300k miles on their turbo and others can't get 50k; the compressor for the turbo runs at really high RPMs so I think it's sort of a crap shoot how long they last. just seems like one more expensive thing to break to me.

I had Toyota's and Nissan's when I was in college and thought they were pieces of crap and just have a personal grudge against them and probably won't buy another any time soon, so I'd go F-150.

17-May-17
Our 2012 F450 blew the engine with 120,000 miles. Our 2016 F450 just went to the shop twice for the DEF system with 30,000 miles. These are the company trucks I own a hassle free Tacoma. Never would I ever buy a Ford. Wait until you call their new call center from god knows where just to get in touch with your local Ford dealership it's a trip!

17-May-17
Spike, I'm assuming your F-450's are both diesels based on your reference to DEF systems. We're sort of finding the same thing at our company. We still have 2-99' F-350's with the 7.3L and they both have 350k+ miles on them, meanwhile we've scrapped/traded probably 5 diesel trucks between 2006-2012. We only have 1- 08' diesel F450 left and it's in the shop right now although it's unrelated to motor it's still $3500 to fix. Recently we've been getting gas F-350's and they don't have the power for sure and the mileage isn't as great, but our repair costs have gone down dramatically and time will tell if we get more useful life out of them. This is what got me thinking to simplify might be better. Our mechanic recently told me that the number 1 cost for failure is the motor, then the transmission, then the turbo (these are work trucks). He explained to me that the turbo is some sort of compressor on the exhaust side of the motor that is used to compress air and inject it to the combustion side of the motor allowing it to burn additional fuel as opposed to ambient levels of oxygen thereby giving additional power. He said these compressors can spin in the range of 100,000 RPM's in order to accomplish this and that's part of the reason in the wild variability in their longevity (how the hell do you know how long something is going to last spinning at that rate?).

The OP's post pertained to 1/2 ton trucks but I think the turbo/no turbo discussion is worth thinking about.

18-May-17
I have read the problem with the newer FORDS is their diesels are built/tuned for Maximum hp/torque and not longevity like commercial trucks, most are drove hard and turned off before they are allowed to cool down..

18-May-17
I owned 5 chevy/GMC pickups since 1989, and had Ford before that. Traded my last in on a Tundra, will never go back to GM, Or Ford. Someone posted why send your $ to Japan, same with Ford, Dodge, GM, why send your $ to Mexico or Canada ?

18-May-17
Ford laying off 1400 in NA/Asia. Apparently bowsite is getting too powerful - just talking about a company sends the stock plummeting and the layoffs happening...

18-May-17
I would say NO to Tundra. The design (especially the engine) is outdated. Great crew-max cab, but that Toyota does not have modern cylinder deactivation and gets crap mileage.

Personally, I went with the Silverado LTZ Z71 with 6.2 engine upgrade. Could not be happier! Even with 420hp on tap, my best highway mile average can reach 25mpg! Most comfortable driver friendly cockpit. Just gotta get the memorial day sales to beat price down. I got it last year for 9k under sticker and am very satisfied.

18-May-17
Ike, just curious, but at 85K, why are you getting rid of the ECOboost? To each their own, of course.

18-May-17
I think both would be fine. I have a 1998 4Runner and never had a problem with it and I beat that truck to death. Plan on getting a Tacoma this year.

That British show that tests things wondered why all the terrorists put a 50 cal in the back of Toyotas in all this third world countries. So the took one to the top of a tall building and rolled it off. They put the key in the ignition and it started right up. LOL

18-May-17
Interesting thread. I have literally owned every single American 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickup and multiples of some. I'm getting pretty close to getting rid of an F250 that has been an excellent truck. If not the best one I have ever owned it's close. There are things about all of them I like and don't like. I'm thinking of a 1/2 ton GMC next....it's been a while since I drove a little truck but the GM's ride smooth and I read that I can get a 6 1/2' bed and a crewcab. I'll get the big engine, tow package, off road package, Denali maybe.

18-May-17
Started with the Silverado, then the Ram, followed by the F-150. One year ago I bit the bullet on the new Nissan XD w/ Cummins Diesel. Thing is a beast. Hefty price tag, but my hope (justification) is it will outlast all the others.

18-May-17
Stright Arrow - when I was test driving, the old style chevy 5.3 with 6sp trans was terrible. The 355hp 5.3 with new 8sp trans was actualky pretty darn good. The 6.2L with 8sp trans is totally fantastic. Avg all around with city driving is 18mpg, and I have smoked a 5.7 hemi charger in a drag race. Seats have A/C cooling and bose stereo rocks! But that engine generates smiles like nothing else.

18-May-17
I just traded my 2005 Tundra Double Cab for a 2017 Tundra Double Cab, I just couldn't get myself to not have the full power rear window. I never had a major problem with my '05 and had 170,000 miles on it, the body was in great condition as well as the interior. The quality of the '17 doesn't seem as high as the '05, gas mileage is roughly the same on the highway and slightly less in the city....but the extra power makes up for it.

If I were to look at another brand, it would be GMC with the 6.2L engine, we have F-150 work vehicles and they have issues that newer vehicles shouldn't be having. I would also wait a few years to see how well the aluminum bodies on the Fords hold up to corrosion. I'm a surveyor and we use aluminum alloy monuments at times and some barely last a few years before they corrode to a green mush, others are 40 years old and look brand new, the ones that get road salt seem to deteriorate much faster than those off the roads.....also, look at aluminum alloy wheels on vehicles, the aluminum bodies are much thinner than the thick wheels. Not sure if I would trust riding in one of those after a few years.

18-May-17
Thanks Adam. That's pretty much where I'm headed. I've been getting 12 miles to the gallon city or highway for almost 15 years....so really I'm going to like 18.

18-May-17
I'm sure Ford would have the aluminum figured out before putting it on the market. The #1 selling truck in the USA is not going to be stupid.

18-May-17

BowSniper's embedded Photo
BowSniper's embedded Photo
Straight Arrow - it's easy to get 22+ on highway with the 6.2L chevy. And it's a rocket ship from 0-90. Luckily they put a speed governor in for 99mph (with the off road tires and midnight edition) or I might have hurt myself already. Ha!

18-May-17
"Ike, just curious, but at 85K, why are you getting rid of the ECOboost? To each their own, of course."

That's a good question Jim, I get 'antsy' about this time...Lol. Now that our fine state is raising the gas tax and attaching a fee on our Reg (Already out of control!), just may run it until the wheels fall off!

19-May-17
running until the wheels fall off takes a LOT longer than it used to.....you should literally get 200k+ and 10 years down the road before you even have to really start fixing a lot of stuff.

19-May-17
I have the 6.2 in the LTZ and I have enjoyed it. I pulled a 27' camper 13 hours during turkey season and it pulled it 80mph with no problem. I'm getting better mileage than my F150 and I have a larger engine. I only got 8.1 mpg pulling the camper, but as I said, I wasn't trying to get good mileage........I was trying to get to my destination!

19-May-17
2012 F-150 with the 5.0. and 151,000 miles. Only issue I've ever had is a blown radio speaker in the driver's side door, and that was covered under warranty. Other than that I've only had to replace brake pads and change the oil/filters, regular maintenance stuff. For the record, I work with three guys that all own the same truck with Eco-boost and NONE of them get better mileage than I do and they paid $7k more for the up-charge on the eco-boost. I can't complain; I like my Ford.

22-May-17
Rhody-

I talked with a guy over the weekend that works on semis, he said that they've been running aluminum bodies on them for over 20 years with no issues. Over the last few years, since they started using sodium chloride on the roads, he has had to replace a lot of body parts that have corroded completely through. He said that he has replaced parts that were corroded down to basically powder on trucks that were less than 5 years old. I would personally hold back from buying an aluminum truck for a few years for sure, the guy I talked to said that he would never buy an aluminum truck from what he has seen lately.

22-May-17
Land Rover has been running aluminum bodies for over 40 years.

22-May-17
Squash,

My 1999 Sierra Classic was built in Indiana, not Mexico.

24-May-17
Good looking rigs...

25-May-17
I purchased a 1999 Chev. Z71, 37,000 the ABS module went out, no warranty! In 2004 I purchased a Chev. Z71. At 71,000, all the gas lines needed replaced due to rust, no warranty! Then the 04 ABS module went out at about 65,000,plus the rocker panels are completely lost. I have always been a GM man, but my next truck will be a Ford.

25-May-17
Question for Chevy guys......My son has been driving 2005 Chevy for 5 years. No major issues, but the thing goes through bulbs. Headlights, driving lights, turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights.....................Since I've been replacing these bulbs, I've taken notice to other trucks on the road. The huge majority of the time when I notice a light out on a truck, it's a Chevy. I've probably replaced at least $200 worth of bulbs on his truck in the 5 years. Is this something you guys have seen too? Being that the vast majority of blown bulbs have been on Chevy trucks, I'm wondering if it's an electrical design issue with these trucks. ?? I've not found any real reason for it on his truck. i.e. some after market sound system or lights, winch, etc. installed.

I've only replaced one bulb, a headlight bulb, on my F150 in the 13 years I've had it. And maybe just two or three bulbs on my '86 Toyota 4X4.

Like Straight Arrow said, there are things I like and things I'd like to see changed on all the vehicles I've owned. But for the most part, I've never been disappointed with any vehicle I've had.

Dealer service shops? Well that's whole another subject. :-) But that would never keep me from buying a truck I really felt was a good truck or a good deal.

25-May-17
Ford.

25-May-17
" I'm wondering if it's an electrical design issue with these trucks. ??"

don't see how it could be.... Can't see much difference in wiring or switch designs.

My wife has been driving a HHR ("homo hot rod") for a couple years...it eats turn signal bulbs ..3 so far. I suspect a weak switch or flasher but bulbs are so cheap it's not worth pursuing. She just tells me the "blinker is going fast again" and I replace a bulb.

All the Chevy trucks on the road especially in the South likely has a lot to do with why you often see them with lights out?

Rusted out rear brake lines on Chevs (maybe they've corrected it)...that is for sure a well known design weakness, especially in salt country. Been up here in Minnesota 10 years or so and mine rusted out and had to replace .. Under sized brakes from factory compared to Ford also of course.... just live with it. Seems to still stop pretty much. It seems every brand has weaknesses.

25-May-17
Not sure about the popularity thing, Bluedog. Seem to see just many Fords and Rams as Chevys. See few Tundras and fewer still Nissans. One of my farming buddies has a Tundra. Made a flat bed out of it as most of the farmers seem to do around here. He has only good things to say about it. He's run several Chevys and Fords over the years. I'll see what he says about in a couple years. :-)

I'd just about bet on a truck coming down the interstate or back roads with a headlight or DTR light out will be a Chevy, though.

25-May-17
Just ordered a new F-150 2017 EcoBoost can't wait to get it. This will be my 3rd EcoBoost no problems so far.

25-May-17
I used to go through bulbs fast on my Honda ridgeline, and a mechanic said to make sure I use that electrical conducting paste on the prongs when I change them. Never had a problem since.

25-May-17
I used to go through bulbs fast on my Honda ridgeline, and a mechanic said to make sure I use that electrical conducting paste on the prongs when I change them. Never had a problem since.

25-May-17
Dielectric grease. I use it too on anything chancing moisture.

25-May-17
Neighbor does body work in his shop across the street. Noticed that he does much more body work on GM trucks than Ford...but all of those that come to him corrode on the same places.

Michigan roads: potholes and lots of salt(winter) and calcium chloride on secondary roads (spring/summer).

• Sitka Gear