Community
Contributors to this thread:
Heat 18-May-17
Rupe 18-May-17
Shuteye 18-May-17
Sage Buffalo 19-May-17
Shuteye 19-May-17
18-May-17
My family is spending a week on the Outer Banks (Southern Shores) the last week of June. Any advice for fishing? The house we are staying in is right on the beach so I suspect we will be doing some surf casting right in front of the house. Any advice or suggestions are welcome for fishing in general, charters, tips, spots, etc.!

Thanks,

Nick

18-May-17
I've fished there since the early 80's. Buy some shrimp for bait and head to Oregon Inlet bridge and fish at night. You'll be shocked at what you'll catch there. Lots of piers to fish on too and depending on the bite you can do very well.

As for charter Captain Hank Beasley out of Oregon Inlet is your man. I've fished with him dozens of times. I haven't fished with him in 10 years, but he still is going strong. His boat is called True Grit.

Here's his FB page https://www.facebook.com/True-Grit-Sportfishing-Charters-309924375750109/

18-May-17
I love fishing there, Had a house right next to one of the piers last time and I fished day and night and did well. I caught some nice blues on a gotcha and other stuff on bait. Went out on the Trophy Hunter out of Oregon Inlet and my wife, daughter and son in law caught 18 yellow fin Tuna. My wife only weighs 100 pounds and they strapped her in a fighting chair. We were allowed three tuna each but the captain and mate let us catch and keep their tuna. Got em filleted right at the dock and covered them with ice.

19-May-17
If you want to catch the bigger fish and more fish - fish at night. Make sure you fish the ingoing and outgoing tides. Tides are EVERYTHING when it comes to fishing the ocean.

Read up as much online as you can get some great info.

Some solid info above as well.

19-May-17
BTW, off one of the piers they were catching huge cobia late at night. The piers have big round landing nets with strong rope to pull your fish up. Some of the cobia were too large to fit in the net and the fishermen had a rope with a three prong gaff that they used to bring the fish up. I didn't do any cobia fishing but enjoyed watching the guys catching them. They were using live bait, big live bait. They had a rod that would cast out a sinker and then they hooked, somehow, the line with the bait on it to get the bait out a good ways.then they could jerk on the sinker line and bring it in. I should have paid more attention to how they were doing it but they sure knew what to do.

• Sitka Gear