Russ Koon 16-Jul-17
HA/KS 16-Jul-17
ahunter55 17-Jul-17
Russ Koon 20-Jul-17
HA/KS 20-Jul-17
HA/KS 21-Jul-17
Russ Koon 21-Jul-17
12-Jul-17
Problem with the RINO's is that they are a bunch of old used up has beens that don't have a clue and are the reason all the young "whippersnappers" rebel.

Kinda like the crowd that says: "you don't need no technology to hunt!"

12-Jul-17
Rand was my pick of the litter among the R's from the start, although my pick overall was Gary Johnson until he got caught up on the "gotcha" question about Aleppo. I could sympathize and overlook that, but he shouldn't have been as vulnerable to it as he was. Rand, and his daddy before him, have always been closest to Libertarians of the nominal R's, and closest to actual constitutional government. Rand with a more practical and workable edge than that of Ron, but I'd give his dad most of the credit for the mindset and overall viewpoint.

"Crazy" would be continuing to move leftward while bemoaning the fact that we are no closer to being a really conservative country. First step in getting out of a hole..... stop digging!

12-Jul-17
Wasn't impressed with G. Johnson as our governor, certainly didn't want him as POTUS...

But each to their own I suppose.

12-Jul-17
Rand and Ron are great men that keep feet to the fire. A little out there sometimes, but I trust them. MD

12-Jul-17
Rand Paul best hope this HCB fails because if it passes and he was the deciding vote his career is over. Kentucky is getting crushed by ObamaCare and the people have turned a deaf ear to politicians especially those who have life long ambitions as do the Paul's. Some think his seat is secure forever but that will end up in the junk pile real quick if Trump leaves him out there. Personally I like the man, what I know of him and his Constitutional stance, but he is playing with fire and his career with this one. He obviously thinks the opposite believes everything must be perfect. Nothing is nor will ever be including his constituents.

The Rock

12-Jul-17
Russ Koon x2

12-Jul-17
I don't always agree with Rand Paul but on this he's 100% dead on and we are lucky to have him fighting this.

Oh.....and you DON'T "need" technology to hunt. In theory all you "need" is your wits and your senses. But everyone uses technology of some sort and everyone's "need" and use of it varies.

15-Jul-17
You guys weren't REALLY for Gary Johnson were you?

16-Jul-17
I certainly was.

I've been a Libertarian for quite a few years now, with conservative Republican leanings held over from the Goldwater campaign of my youth.

I prefer a candidate who proposes to follow the principle of a smaller and less obtrusive government, lower taxes, and less involvement in foreign affairs that drag us into winless wars.

If that candidate has actual experience in running a government at the state level, and following those principles while doing so, he even ranks ahead of a taller, louder, and richer candidate who promises more free stuff, at least in my eyes!

I even voted for Johnson in the general, after "Aleppo", on general purposes and because a Trump victory here in IN was as sure a thing as there is in politics when the election was drawing near. I certainly would agree that anything but Hillary was the goal, but the second goal was to cast one more vote for a truly conservative government led by a man who had actually run a government rather than just his mouth and a real estate business started with daddy's money.

Wouldn't you agree?

16-Jul-17
Russ, a lucid defense of your thinking and actions. Probably won't fly here :-)

17-Jul-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
hey, I consider myself an Independent & have voted Republican & Democrat & even split tickets. I go for the one I feel meets the things I agree with most + hopefully best for the country & us common folk.

20-Jul-17
Spike, I don't recall "the party" saying any such thing about Johnson. Or much of anything else. The GOP establishment seemed to wish he would just shut up and go away, as they have for generations now with any really conservative candidates.

His positions on some social issues such as pot, are obviously less aligned with the official stance of the GOP, which apparently still believes we may win the War on Drugs someday if we continue to spend enough and arrest enough, and ignore the fact that the only thing accomplished by it in the first seventy years or so has been the creation of a very lucrative black market, as is the norm for the creation of a "banned substance".

His stance on most issues is pretty much the exact opposite of the big-government, gun-grabbing, liberal idiots on the other side of the political fence, and his record during his administrations as governor were consistent with his pro-2A, smaller government, reduced spending, positions he has consistently held both as a candidate for office as a Republican and as a Libertarian. I also thought he had the best one-liner of the debates when he said that his neighbors two large dogs had created more "shovel-ready jobs" in his yard than were created by the Obama administration.

I would agree that he lacks the PhD in BS that is apparently a requirement to get the nomination now, and certainly is one to win the election, but I'll keep voting for the occasion loony Libertarian that gives it a shot.

Don't let the first five letters of the labels fool you, LIBERtarian and LIBERal are really two very different animals, with the exception of a few social issues.

20-Jul-17
Libertarian is NOT synonymous with conservative even though the proponents want to pass it off as such. trump may be the most libertarian president of our lifetime - time will tell.

21-Jul-17

HA/KS's Link
“Every day, I wake up, and I say, 'It could have been Hillary Clinton,'” Paul told the hosts on Thursday. Trump, Paul argued, was better than Clinton, who “wanted to go to war everywhere” and would have waged a “war” against American businesses.

21-Jul-17
HA/KS, I guess it comes down to a definition of terms, as it so often does.

By my reckoning, "conservative" meant smaller government, less intrusive government, more personal liberty, and generally less entanglement in foreign affairs. So does Libertarian.

The definition over the last few decades seems to have shifted in some quarters to center on more social issues, that I would consider being defined by the "neo-cons".

I was a teenager taking his first hard look at politics during the 1960 campaign, although I had some mild interest in it earlier. My first chilling realization that even the brightest and "best" candidates would say anything to get elected was when I watched JFK on TV telling a cheering crowd that the national debt didn't matter, as "we only owe it to ourselves"! Hmmm......at 15, I was certainly no economist, but THAT sounded fishy.

Started paying more attention, and by the 1964 campaign I was a firm Goldwater fan, although still too young to vote for him. He was quoted as being in favor of gays in the military, saying that in his opinion, a soldier didn't need to BE straight, just to SHOOT straight. That didn't make him a Liberal by definition, nor did William F. Buckley's opinion on the War on Drugs make him one, even though both were closer to the modern liberal stance on those issues at first glance.

I do agree with Rand Paul on the quote you cite. I am not a Trump-ette, but he was the better choice of the last two standing, by a mile. But is he Libertarian? Not so I've noticed! I may have missed that day, as I don't keep abreast of his stance changes when the lawn needs mowed or there are fish that need caught. 8^)

• Sitka Gear