Community
Contributors to this thread:
Samzacem 19-Jul-17
Ace 19-Jul-17
Ace 19-Jul-17
Shuteye 19-Jul-17
Glunt@work 20-Jul-17
19-Jul-17
My son and I want to hunt for the first time in the state of Michigan. We are newly residence here. He is 13 years old and I am wondering if either one of us have to have an education course to bow hunt. Another problem is we would have to get his license by August 15th I guess so are there any situations where people hunt on these paid hunts that you would not have to have a license for? Just wondering thanks

19-Jul-17

Ace's Link
Michigan's Hunter Education Program Safe hunting begins with hunter education, which has had a dramatic impact on reducing hunting incidents in Michigan. Hunting is safe and getting safer!

Hunter safety is required if you were born after January 1, 1960 and you want to purchase any Michigan hunting license, or if you are planning an out-of-state hunting trip.

19-Jul-17

Ace's Link
Lol, you beat me to it JTV.

FAQs at link.

19-Jul-17
I was born in 1942 so I never had to take it. However, I took my two boys to the classes and it is a good thing. I asked the game warden, giving one of the classes, if I used a flash light to get to my stand in the morning would that be illegal. He said as long as I wasn't using the light to scan a field it was perfectly Okay. BTW I knew the game warden.

20-Jul-17
Hunter Ed is a great idea. I can't say the same for mandatory Hunter Ed. Just because something makes sense and is a positive, isn't enough to make it mandatory. Hunting is a normal activity and much safer than many other normal activities people engage in much more often. I don't want to be required take a class and get a card before I can operate power tools, go skiing, use drain cleaner, mountain bike, kayak, have sex, cut a tree down, go snorkeling, raise a kid, bale hay, etc..

All of these are activities that having some training ahead of time is a great idea but I don't want it legally mandated. We would never get much done.

I'm 100% behind supporting, encouraging, funding and promoting Hunter Ed.

• Sitka Gear