tonyo6302 04-Sep-17
Shuteye 04-Sep-17
tonyo6302 04-Sep-17
Woods Walker 04-Sep-17
tonyo6302 04-Sep-17
Mike in CT 04-Sep-17
tonyo6302 04-Sep-17
03-Sep-17
I hope everyone was able to relax and take some days off.

I have been canoeing with my Granddaughter, amongst other things this past week.

Here, I was finally able to video us going down some class 1 rapids on the Rappahannock River. I was filming, she was negotiating the river by herself, and did great.

Happy Holiday, and hoping every is having fun. Post some holiday photos if ya got em.

03-Sep-17
What a blessing to have this experience! Great coaching and some great memories!

Thanks for sharing Tony.

Semper fi,

Mike

03-Sep-17
My daughter has been here visiting from Virginia this week. We shot sporting clays, went flyfishing, shot bows all week in the back field, went to see a performance of the Lipizzan Stallions, did some handgun shooting and today we did a 3-D shoot. The only thing we won't have time for is the canoe float we wanted to do on the local river. Oh well.....next time! (This is what you get when you start'em young on the important stuff!)

04-Sep-17
Gosh, WW, did you get any video of the Stallions? I would love to see them in person.

04-Sep-17
I love the Rappahannock River and it has some nice small-mouth bass. When I was playing Bluegrass I got to play some gigs along the river.

04-Sep-17
Yes, Shuteye, the smallmouth were popping on top water the whole trip.

.. ..

.. ...

We came upon this one rapid, and just as we were going down it, the hugest Beaver I have ever seen surfaced in front of the canoe.

You should have heard the high pitched screaming that ensued. HA HA. I wish I had the video rolling on that one.

Anyway, my Granddaughter turned around and told me that beavers were nice and for me to calm down and stop screaming, that it would be OK, and we would be all right

04-Sep-17
LOL! LISTEN to her Tony! She has her head on straight!

04-Sep-17
Mike in CT,

My Wife is from Bristol, and we keep meaning to kayak or canoe the Farmington with her brothers.

Do you have a recommendation on what stretch of the River to run ?

04-Sep-17
Tony,

Depending on what type of water condition you're looking for there are many options; if you have a sturdy kayak and experience the Satan's Kingdom stretch in Barkhamstead would be well worth it. This stretch of the river is also very popular for tubing and the beginning of the Satan's Kingdom run has a large parking lot and a rental facility for tubes (favorite spot to go tubing). This parking lot is right off of Rt44.

If you want to take in a calmer ride and some good scenery you can either go further upriver towards Colebrook or you can go into Unionville (I'm not sure about access points here though but I'm sure one of the locals could help).

One other option, if you have the time is to try the Housatonic River; with all the rain we had spring and early summer the water levels are good this year; there's some decent water downstream from the intersection of Rt4 and Rt7 (also some great pockets for smallmouth too.) One caution; even with the added water you'll still likely have to port the kayak in a few spots.

Give me a shout when you'll be up; if time permits I'd love to sit down and have a beer with you!

04-Sep-17
Thanks, Mike.

I think we have driven by that spot on Rt44. That is just a short way from Canton and West Simsbury, if I remember correctly.

I will give you a shout next time I am there visiting.

• Sitka Gear