Community
Contributors to this thread:
Coyote 65 05-Sep-17
Woods Walker 05-Sep-17
Coyote 65 06-Sep-17
05-Sep-17

Coyote 65's Link
By CNN

CHEROKEE COUNTY, GA - The Cherokee County School District issued an apology after a teacher wrongly asked students to leave her class because they were wearing pro-Donald Trump t-shirts.

According to a statement issued by the Cherokee County School District, a math teacher at River Ridge High School “erroneously told two students their shirts with campaign slogans were not permitted in class.”

The statement said the teacher’s actions were wrong as the “Make America Great Again” shirts worn by the students were not a violation of the school district’s dress code. The statement also said that the teacher “additionally and inappropriately shared her personal opinion about the campaign slogan during class.” River Ridge High School Principal Dr. Darrell Herring immediately met with and apologized to the students and their families, and Cherokee County School Superintendent Dr. Brian Hightower expressed how sorry he was about the incident.

Hightower then explained that this incident did not reflect his expectation that all students be treated equally and respectfully by employees of the school system.

Georgia Republican gubernatorial candidate Michael Williams released a statement on his official Facebook page, along with a video of the incident from conservative website Turning Point USA, calling for the immediate termination of the math teacher, saying in part "To see something like this happen in Georgia is especially concerning to parents. This woman has no business serving in a position of authority over our school children. She blatantly violated their First Amendment rights while defaming them in front of the classroom."

The school system said it could not discuss any disciplinary action against the teacher, but did say the students do not face any disciplinary action. The superintendent is instructing all school system principals to meet with teachers and staff to review the dress code and remind them that their political opinions should not be shared with students.

You can read the entire statement below:

"Dear Parents, On behalf of the Superintendent, this message is to provide you with more information about a story currently circulating in the media and on social media regarding an incident at one of our high schools. In this regard, a River Ridge High School math teacher on Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017 erroneously told two students their shirts with campaign slogans were not permitted in class. Her actions were wrong, as the "Make America Great Again" shirts worn by the students are not a violation of our School District dress code. The teacher additionally -- and inappropriately -- shared her personal opinion about the campaign slogan during class. The school's Principal immediately met with and apologized to these students and their families. Superintendent of Schools Dr. Brian V. Hightower is deeply sorry that this incident happened in one of our schools; it does not reflect his expectation that all students be treated equally and respectfully by our employees. While we cannot discuss disciplinary action against a teacher, we can assure you that the students face no disciplinary action. The Superintendent also is instructing all Principals to meet with their teachers and staff to review the dress code and remind them that their political opinions should not be shared with students. Thank you for entrusting us with your children each day. We care about them and their future success!"

Republican candidate for governor Michael Williams called for the immediate firing of a Cherokee County High School math teacher. Last Friday, video of a classroom incident at River Ridge High School was shared online that has since gone viral. The incident involves a teacher removing two high school students for wearing Trump t-shirts. Demanding they leave, she compared their Trump shirts to “swastikas.” She also made several incoherent statements associating the innocent students with Neo-Nazi’s for simply wearing shirts in support of their President.

Williams stated, “To see something like this happen in Georgia is especially concerning to parents. This woman has no business serving in a position of authority over our school children. She blatantly violated their First Amendment rights while defaming them in front of the classroom. This is not a second chance situation. The attempted liberal indoctrination of our kids at our schools must come to and end. I am calling for her immediate firing by the school system. There is no other satisfactory outcome.”

Williams continued, “While I appreciate the school quickly acting to apologize for this disgusting behavior, I expect swift removal of her from the school system. I will be following this situation closely and hope the school will reach the correct decision on this matter.”

Terry

05-Sep-17
I went to college in the early 70's. Even then when I saw the people who were majoring in education I knew we were in for trouble!

06-Sep-17

Coyote 65's embedded Photo
Coyote 65's embedded Photo
Annony Mouse, had to copy this from the humor thread, it just belongs here. Hope that is ok?

Terry

• Sitka Gear