one-eye 15-Sep-17
HA/KS 22-Sep-17
Glunt@work 22-Sep-17
HA/KS 22-Sep-17
12-Sep-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

13-Sep-17
You know I can't remember my parents helping me much with homework or reading to me. I remember having 31 kids in a class and one teacher also. I do remember the teacher breaking us up to groups based on ability to read and that I was assigned to help the slower groups out for an hour a day. But back then we were actually expected to learn and we were pushed by our teachers. We also spent a lot of time on the basics and not all the other crap. we also had maybe one school trip and that was at the end of the year and only the kids that were up to level could go.

13-Sep-17
For many of us that were raised in pre-high tech age, this is SO obvious that my first reaction was a, "Gee...ya think??". But sadly it's not the norm for many nowadays.

13-Sep-17
The majority of the education of our children has been turned over to the state and many parents have been operating in the belief that The State will do right by them. In many instances this has arisen from 2 income families . Parents have abdicated their responsibility and the results are a surrogate who have the opportunity to mold the child to the desires of the institution not the independence of the individual .

The message and method of our institutions are producing what serves their ideology much like the media does . It matters who is at the blackboard and what they are preaching.

13-Sep-17
Guess that explains my score.

:-)

13-Sep-17
Want your kids To ... not, kids so ?

13-Sep-17
Worked for me, and my Kids. Both my kids could read by 4 years of age. There was a little panic there, when my Son turned 5, and told me, "I hate reading". Within a couple Years, he became the biggest bookworm I'd ever seen ;^)

13-Sep-17
Good parenting elkmtn- !

A foot in my ass was the second best ...

13-Sep-17
My young girls love to read and draw but we don't have tv service or an iPad. My 2nd grade daughter was reading a book before lunch last week. She finally looked up from her book and the whole class had gone to lunch.

13-Sep-17
And another good parent . Good on you Link.

But can kids actually survive without gadgets stuck to their heads ? li'l Humor .

13-Sep-17
I remember taking my daughter bowhunting with me when she was 7 or 8. We'd go into a 2 person ladder stand and she'd read while we hunted. I first thought if we could get an hour in before she got too restless that would be a win. Was I ever wrong! We stayed in there all morning! She even alerted me to a doe along a field edge that I hadn't seen!

13-Sep-17
I know a lot of people who have never read a book simply for entertainment. I have always felt sorry for them. I myself have read thousands.

13-Sep-17
It's the best form of entertainment there is.......or maybe the SECOND best......

13-Sep-17
Nothing better than a few books by Pat McManus while elk hunting. I think we've all experienced some of what he writes at some point so it's easy to relate.

13-Sep-17
I grew up being read to and being encouraged to read. I was the kid that hid his Dick and Jane reader where the teacher couldn't see it just so I could read the entire thing even though she told us not to read ahead. My girls were the same way.

This was in our note from the principal here at school just this morning. "As you continue to plan for the year remember that one area that needs strengthened in our population is reading. Be looking for researched ways that you can improve reading through your discipline. Struggling readers will likely struggle in all of our divisions."

13-Sep-17
I grew up being read to and being encouraged to read. I was the kid that hid his Dick and Jane reader where the teacher couldn't see it just so I could read the entire thing even though she told us not to read ahead. My girls were the same way.

This was in our note from the principal here at school just this morning. "As you continue to plan for the year remember that one area that needs strengthened in our population is reading. Be looking for researched ways that you can improve reading through your discipline. Struggling readers will likely struggle in all of our divisions."

13-Sep-17
If you not only read to them but ask them questions about what you are reading they are less likely to be brainwashed by the system.

13-Sep-17
"I grew up being read to and being encouraged to read. I was the kid that hid his Dick and Jane reader where the teacher couldn't see it just so I could read the entire thing even though she told us not to read ahead."

We shared the same childhood! Only our reader was Ted and Sally. The teacher would be having the rest of the class individually read sentences out loud that would take them a minute or more to struggle through and I'd be two chapters ahead. No wonder why I found school (or at least the reading/writing part).............................B O R I N G.

I'd read EVERYTHING, newspapers, books, comic books, labels.......whatever had print on it. That's the only way to really learn, just DO it....a LOT of it.

13-Sep-17
And it's the poor single mom that finishing her third shift as her oldest puts the younger sibling to bed. Poverty has a huge part in a child's academic success. Very tough to teach a hungry child or a tired child that hasn't slept peacefully. It's not their fault of course and no sense in blaming the parent because they're here and they will be societies problem if we don't take care of those children.

13-Sep-17
Single mom is 100% a choice most of the time. No ring, no fling.

. If both parents lived with the children, 85% living in poverty would not longer be in poverty.

13-Sep-17
Took my son out of public school after the eighth grade. He's a junior this year.

13-Sep-17
"Single mom is 100% a choice most of the time. No ring, no fling.

. If both parents lived with the children, 85% living in poverty would not longer be in poverty."

Very astute and on the money Henry. Of course, this doesn't appeal to the cult of victimhood as it acknowledges the inescapable reality of personal accountability.

13-Sep-17
My parents grew up in the depression. My father's parents lost their home and they lived in a logging camp as cooks for a few years. My mom had 6 siblings and they lived in a small apartment while her father worked two jobs and was rarely home. They ALL knew how to read and write, NONE of them went to jail or were even arrested and they were able to function quite well as adults.

But they were from European immigrants that came through Ellis Island and didn't expect ANYTHING from the government. In fact the government's exactly why they FLED Europe! guess they were too stupid to know that they couldn't do it. Silly them. If they could have sucked on the government teat then they wouldn't have had to do all that. They could have just sat back and whined and watched their kids go to prison or wind up dead in the street even though they "Din-do-nuffin".......

13-Sep-17
I read to my girls still. We read the classics like Where the Red Fern Grows, Indian in the Cupboard ect. They love it

13-Sep-17
You bet RJ. I used to read to my daughter too. Everything from fairy tales to Robert Ruark's "Old Man And The Boy". And ANYTHING that was about dogs and horses.

It's called..."being a parent", which is sadly becoming a lost art for some.

14-Sep-17
Single parenthood is 100% choice huh? Care to say that to widows? Abused women? Women with husbands in jail. Need I go on? And how Christian of you! "No abortion for you women who can't afford them! And damn you for not being able to care for them too!" Ah the Catch22 of Christian conservatives.

14-Sep-17
Henry,

Next time post what "most of the time" means so that the mentally challenged don't consume bandwidth needlessly.

14-Sep-17

15-Sep-17
Some single parents don't look for excuses, they look for solutions.

Ben Carson and the Mother Behind the Man

One of 24 siblings, half of whom she never knew, Ben Carson's mother Sonya grew up in foster homes until the tender age of thirteen--the youngest you can be and yet be called a teenager. At thirteen she married a man who called her his "china doll" and some years later had two sons.

When she found out her husband was a bigamist she made the difficult decision--her sons loved their father dearly--to leave him. Renting out the house she received in the divorce settlement, Sonya, with her sons, temporarily moved into a tenement with one of the sisters she did know, and took 2 and sometimes 3 jobs as a domestic to support herself and her sons. She had only attended school up to third grade.

She did not know how to read.

Younger son Ben had never done well in school. Now, he was deeply saddened by the absence of his beloved father. Convinced he was the "dumbest kid in the fifth grade," Ben brought home test grades and report cards that seemed to confirm his opinion of himself. His older brother wasn’t doing well with his studies, either.

What could an illiterate mother, who had married at 13, was now divorced, and struggled off and on with serious depression, do to help her growing boys? She worked such long hours cleaning wealthy people's houses that she wasn’t even there during the kids’ after-school time, often not arriving home til they were in bed.

Want to take a moment and predict the outcome before reading on?

At first Sonya didn't know what to do, but she knew that she had to do something to help her boys begin to live up to their potential. And though she didn't know what to do, she knew Someone who did know. So she prayed and asked God for wisdom and guidance.

She also paid attention to the habits of the high achievers she worked for. She made some decisions and told her sons about them: they were to choose and read two library books per week and hand in book reports to her (they didn’t know she couldn't read), and they were to limit TV to two pre-selected programs per week, watchable only after homework was done.

Two books per week! Benny thought, alarmed. He had never read a book in his life. And how would he live with almost no TV?

To top it off, Ben had a terrible temper that even he realized would land him in jail one day if he didn’t learn to control it.

Ben's mother repeatedly told her sons that they could do anything anybody else could do, and do it better, if they would only work hard at it. She always had faith in them, and she never accepted excuses. She made none for herself, and would accept none from them--for their own good.

Ben Carson went from the bottom of his fifth grade class to the top of his sixth grade class in one and a half years. He earned a scholarship to Yale and became the head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital when he was thirty-three years old. He was one of the youngest people to ever hold such a position, and the first black person to have a position like that in a world-renowned medical center. In the first seven years of his career, he performed breakthrough surgeries that changed the lives of his patients.

Thank you, Sonya Carson and son, Dr. Ben Carson.

David Gergen, professor of public service at Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government, director of its Center for Public Leadership, and editor-at-large for U.S. News & World Report, interviewed Dr. Ben Carson in 1999, on the release of one of Dr. Carson’s books, The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life.

22-Sep-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
This girl was a momma before she graduated. Living a very responsible life. Not bad for 25 paces. She thinks it needs to be better.

22-Sep-17
I am pro-choice but only about the getting pregnant part.

"What about rape?" Yep, that woman's right to choose was violated.

"So she could have an abortion then?" No, rule #1...the choice is about getting pregnant, not being pregnant.

"What about when the life of the mother is in danger?" Thats a tough one. I would probably handle it the same way you would handle having to choose when you have two loved ones drowning and can only put one in the life boat."

"And you handle that how?"

"Can't say, it's almost impossible to fathom, but throwing innocent people out of the boat to make my life easier isn't the right choice even if I had no part in sinking the ship."

"So a 1 week old fetus is a person?"

"Its a human life, I thought we agreed on that?"

"I never said that!???"

"Well, you referred to the life of the mother being in danger. A mother is someone with a child."

22-Sep-17
The solution is simple. Give the unborn child it's day in court just like everyone else. If the mother's life is in danger (actually extremely rare), the court would weigh the options for both mother and child.

• Sitka Gear