Mad dog 16-Sep-17
Shuteye 16-Sep-17
Mike the Carpenter 16-Sep-17
Mad dog 16-Sep-17
Tiger eye 16-Sep-17
13-Sep-17

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Squirrel season is open here in Maryland. I having some logging done in my woods and was walking the skid trails checking for deer tracks. I carry a Walther P 22 since there are no big bad bears in my woods. A squirrel stopped on the side of an oak tree and one shot from my 22 dropped him. I skinned the squirrel, cut it in pieces and put it in a plastic bag. I love squirrels stew in my crock pot.

13-Sep-17
JTV, head shots, that's what I do with my 22 rifle. Made a neck shot with the 22 pistol today. I will do some squirrel hunting off and on until the end of February.

13-Sep-17
Head out Saturday with my Youngest. Season opens here on Friday.

13-Sep-17

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo

13-Sep-17

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Sometimes I haul them out of the woods with my Gator.

14-Sep-17
JTV, I also used to sell the tails to Mepps. I hunt with a 22 with LR hollow points except I have a bolt action with good scope that I take sometimes with 22 shorts. Only head shots with it though. Our season lasts until the end of February and I do some hunting then since deer season is over the the end of January.

14-Sep-17
I sent a batch off to Mepps as a kid as well. They still buy them today!

14-Sep-17
When I was younger I did a lot of fly fishing and used Squirrel tails and deer tails to make streamers.

14-Sep-17
JTV one year, when I was a kid, I got a Winchester pump for Christmas and two bricks of ammo. It would shoot 22 short, long or long rifle bullets. I killed a bunch of squirrels and groundhogs with that rifle. BTW, I went through the two bricks of ammo real fast.

15-Sep-17
Gotta wait a bit yet for the treehoppers. Don't start in PA till mid October. My weapon of choice for the past 2 years had been a 36 cal flintlock. unbelievable fun and

15-Sep-17
A nostalgic trip back in time.

16-Sep-17
Killed a red squirrel with my Pellet rifle. Mad Dog

16-Sep-17
Tiger Eye, I have killed many squirrels with a Thompson Center .36 cal cap lock muzzle loader. I took a piece of Oak flooring and cut it about an inch wide and eight inches long and sanded it nice and smooth. Drilled six holes in it and put a patch, lubed with Crisco, over each hole and installed a round ball in each hole. I had a leather strap on it to hang from my belt. I used a 45 cal empty brass with a little handle that I silver soldered on for a powder measure. Used a real cow horn for black powder. Before my son left for Nashville we went squirrel hunting. He used a bolt action 22 and I used my .36 cal muzzle loader. I got five squirrels and he got four. BTW he shot four bullets and I shot five times.

16-Sep-17

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
His first of the year.

16-Sep-17
Looks like a great kid. Way to go! How u boys cook em? Mad Dog

16-Sep-17
Sound cool shuteye. I did the same with a scrap piece of oak and tried my hand at carving a squirrel handle on top. Came out better than I thought. Made my own bag and powder horn too. It is good winter therapy making homemade muzzie stuff. Just a bit hesitant in making my own ball though. Not sure I want to go down that path. Cooking lead just is not my cup of tea..

All in all they a great sport and super accurate. I use 20 grains 3 F and will hit a quarter all day at 35 yard which is about as far as my eyes will take me with a buckhorn site.

Best of luck to you this year. Keep you powder dry.

• Sitka Gear